Outread Aubrey! Challenge discussion

TBR Lists

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What's on your to-be-read list this year? Any particular series you're hoping to conquer or research you're going to do?

I have a "want to read" shelf a mile long, plus literally dozens of books I got for free (or nearly so) at library book sales and on my Kindle, but I do have a few specific things I want to accomplish...

Lord of the Rings (I've read part of it, but I want to reread it all and finish it. Also The Hobbit!)
Chronicles of Narnia (I haven't read these books in ages, so I'd like to reread them all.)
The Hunger Games trilogy (If I can force myself through them... I love the movie, but the books aren't grabbing me as much.)

I also want to read more theology/nonfiction books. I will be reading some more books about colonial America, both fiction and nonfiction, no doubt, as I'll be researching for my next book. Maybe I'll also finally be able to delve into German history--one of my unpursued loves.

What's on your list?

message 2: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Aubrey wrote: "What's on your to-be-read list this year? Any particular series you're hoping to conquer or research you're going to do?

I have a "want to read" shelf a mile long, plus literally dozens of books ..."

I don't have too many specific goals, other than that I do want to read some more 'substantial' books this year—looking back over my 2012 list I seem to have read a lot of shorter and lighter works. Here's just a sampling of what I've got on my TBR for the immediate future—a little of everything!

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
Day of Infamy by Walter Lord
Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freeman
No Life for a Lady by Agnes Morley Cleveland
The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde
Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens
The Little Regiment and Other Stories by Stephen Crane

I have a short-term writing goal for January, but after that I want to start working on a full-length historical novel...in which case I'll have a hefty research list to work on!

(Speaking of lists, have you read The List yet? I think you would really enjoy it!)

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 01, 2013 02:59PM) (new)

Some of those books sound delightful, Elisabeth! I might have to read some of those as well.

A full-length historical fiction novel! Needless to say, I am excited about this. :D What era will you be researching?

I haven't read it yet, but "The List" is already on my "want to read" shelf!

*likes Corey's impressive list* This topic was actually inspired by your list, Corey. :D

message 5: by Corey (new)

Corey (corey17) | 149 comments If "The List" is the same novel I'm think of - the one by C.D. Baker - then I second the recommendation. His historical fiction is terrific.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool. Maybe I should give it a top spot on my TBR list, then.

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah Good | 236 comments I also want to read more theology/nonfiction books. I will be reading some more books about colonial America, both fiction and nonfiction, no doubt, as I'll be researching for my next book. Maybe I'll also finally be able to delve into German history--one of my unpursued loves.

I think our non-fiction reading would agree quite well. If you haven't already read them, I highly (add a hundred more highlys) recommend The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Colonial America and The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the 1800s. They are fantastic reference books for writing about the time period.

message 8: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth Aubrey wrote: "A full-length historical fiction novel! Needless to say, I am excited about this. :D What era will you be researching?"

Well, I haven't completely settled on a project yet (I've got five ideas to pick from!), but if I choose the one I'm currently leaning towards, it'll be the Montana prairie around 1900.

message 9: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb (httpwwwgoodreadscomvaron) | 97 comments A collection of H.P. Lovecraft's stories, China Mievelle's "Railsea" which is a dieselpunk/wierd fiction retelling of Moby-Dick, with trains and giant moles.
Then Peter's Angel, and a bunch of research stuff for Dream of a Shrouded Quest.

message 10: by Corey (new)

Corey (corey17) | 149 comments China Mieville is a terrific writer, though language is often an issue in his books. "Un Lun Dun" is my favorite of his works so far, with "The City & The City" coming in second. "Railsea" looks fantastic.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

That is a time period I've never deeply explored, Elisabeth, so it will be interesting for me to watch your progress and (Lord willing) eventually read your book! Keep me updated? (Or at least update your Twitter. ;) )

YES KALEB IS READING MY BOOK! Heehee, very interesting list. Railsea sounds fascinating. I haven't read any dieselpunk, but I bet I would like it, as I'm fond of steampunk. Have you read any Lovecraft before?

message 12: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb (httpwwwgoodreadscomvaron) | 97 comments Okay, thanks.
Language really doesn't bother me at all. This will be the first one of his I've read. Yes it does. There's just something about the ludicrousness of giant moles that make it irresistible.

message 13: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb (httpwwwgoodreadscomvaron) | 97 comments Yes, I am.
It's different from steampunk, especially in attitude.

Yeah, I have. I read an annotated collection. (Not smart. I kept getting side-tracked.)

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Andrews | 5 comments My sister and I are reading The Lord of the Rings together. Basically this is how it works: When I'm doing the dishes, she reads it to me. When she's sewing, I read it to her. Does that count?
Hopefully I can find my Chronicles of Narnia book amidst all the unpacked boxes we have and read that. I want to read Great Expectations again (great book!) and A Tale of Two Cities. The Screwtape Letters is one of my favorites and I need to read that again. Also I want to read some of Elizabeth Gaskell's novels, as well as Freckles (funny name, I know; it's a prequel to the excellent 'Girl of the Limberlost'). I need to read... oh, bother, I have such a long list of books. The Kindle is a lifesaver for someone like me with little money :D All sorts of free books on there!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Andrews | 5 comments Oh, and I want to read the Auralia Thread series again so I can formulate why exactly I don't like those books.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree about the Kindle! That's the main reason I got mine--less expensive versions of books--and I have quite a backlog of material on there to read myself...

Anywho, great selections! (And I'd love to hear your opinion on the Auralia Thread series, as all my other friends rave about it.) And yes, reading aloud or with someone counts, as long as you finish the entire book.

message 17: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Noordhoek (melodykondrael) | 145 comments Well, in the next week before school starts, I have a couple dozen comic books to read - Spike, Buffy, Angel, Superman, Batman, X-Men, the Ultimates, and some random ones not in a series (a comic version of the Odyssey and a couple of comics by Doug TenNapel).

I also have a bunch of YA fic I'd like to read... I don't know the titles, I just looked for pretty covers. XD

After that, I have a lot of books on my shelf I havent' read yet. Terry Pratchett, Terry Brooks, Arthur Clarke, a bunch of others I can't remember. Plus I've got a pirate book from last Christmas...

And I do want to read Railsea. I had it out from the library but never got around to reading it before it had to go back last semester. It's definitely on my list.

Oh yes and as I have money I need to buy the rest of the books in the Auralia Thread series because I really, really like it. (Yup, I'm one of the Leah's friends who raves about it) My sister has the whole set and I don't now. =P

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

You've got your work cut out for you, Mel! As you read the YA fic in particular, let me know what you like and don't like. :D

message 19: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Noordhoek (melodykondrael) | 145 comments Yeah, I do... but that's okay. :D I still have a week off from school.

I try to write reviews for Goodreads when I can. If you ever want to browse through and ask me to write a review for something I only star-rated, that's okay too. I usually remember what the book was about unless it was really forgettable.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good to me! I may take you up on that. :D

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie Daniels | 242 comments I don't even know anymore. Immanuel Velikovsky is definitely on there somewhere. Probably whatever Jenni has on her shelf for me. I don't really have all that much in the way of spectacular to-read lists, just piles of books with my name on them. :)

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie Daniels | 242 comments Speaking of nonfiction/theology, I can recommend a list a mile long. You've still got that Stephen Hawking book too, right?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Good enough for me, Katie. ;)

I'd love more recommendations! Yes, the Hawking book is one on my shelf which begs to be read this year.

message 24: by Faith (new)

Faith (faithblum) | 173 comments I have all sorts of new books on my Kindle that I would like to read. Some of them I am hoping are good, but am not exactly sure.

Identity by Ted Dekker
The Warrior by Joyce Swann
Bone Dry by Ben Rehder
Supervillain of the Day by Katie Lynn Daniels
The New Deputy in Town by B.J. Daniels
Sherlock Holmes mysteries
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Red Rain sequel by Aubrey Hansen and David Hartung (after it is published)
Peter's Ally by Aubrey Hansen (after it is published)
Never by J. Grace Pennington (re-read)
Peter's Angel by Aubrey Hansen (re-read)

I'm sure the list will get longer, but that's my list so far. ;)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

*can't help but laugh over the end of Faith's list* You are awesome, my dear. ;)

That's a nice variety!

message 26: by Leah (new)

Leah Good | 236 comments I'm with, Faith. I'm currently re-reading Peter's Angel (out loud to my family this time) and eagerly awaiting Peter's Ally. And I'll probably be re-reading Never (again, out loud to my family) after we finish Peter's Angel. ;)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm honored! I hope your family enjoys it. :D

message 28: by Leah (new)

Leah Good | 236 comments Aubrey wrote: "I'm honored! I hope your family enjoys it. :D"
:) We just finished chapter one and so far they like it. We were laughing because it took us two car rides to get out of the prologue!

message 29: by Faith (new)

Faith (faithblum) | 173 comments Aubrey wrote: "*can't help but laugh over the end of Faith's list* You are awesome, my dear. ;)

That's a nice variety!"

I'm glad I could make you laugh. I want to read them again anyway. ^_^

Thanks, Aubrey! I like variety. ;)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it's kind of a... shall we say... generous prologue. ;) There wasn't much way around it, though! :P But I'll spare you that writerly rant. :D

message 31: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lovelace (kingjon) | 89 comments My "would-like-to-read" and my "to-be-read" lists have little overlap at the moment, I'm afraid. A subset of the former (developed from the "want-to-read"s among the recommendations I got from WeRead, my first book-social-network, then painstakingly imported into LibraryThing, but not to here yet) can be seen here on LibraryThing; the latter is mostly "the books on the too-full shelves in my room." :)

message 32: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb (httpwwwgoodreadscomvaron) | 97 comments I've added the Chronicles of Prydain to the list, and the Dark Is Rising Sequence. (I'm stalking both series for adoption right now.)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

The list you linked to on LibraryThing is now blank, Jon...

(What do you mean "stalking for adoption," Kaleb? Trying to find copies to buy?)

message 34: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lovelace (kingjon) | 89 comments Aubrey wrote: "The list you linked to on LibraryThing is now blank, Jon...
Hmm. Odd.

In any case, I've now imported that list to Goodreads (which would have been trivial had Goodreads not decided to, despite my explicit instructions to put them on the "to-read" shelf, put all 1014 of them on the "read" shelf); thus, here.

message 35: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb (httpwwwgoodreadscomvaron) | 97 comments (I'm stalking used bookstores for them so I can adopt them from foster care.)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

1014?! Well, that puts my TBR list to shame...

(*grins at Kaleb*)

message 37: by Corey (new)

Corey (corey17) | 149 comments The Prydain Chronicles is a masterpiece of fantasy writing. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 38: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 38 comments My TBR list is anything that I have picked up for free on Amazon ... which is a very long list, since I pick up three to twenty every day. Neither of your books are on my TBR list, but that's only because they both have taken up residence on my read shelf.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

*smiles at Kendra*

Oh, don't get me started on free books from Amazon! I finally stopped looking at the list because I know I'll never get through what I've already got downloaded!

message 40: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 38 comments Aubrey wrote: "*smiles at Kendra*

Oh, don't get me started on free books from Amazon! I finally stopped looking at the list because I know I'll never get through what I've already got downloaded!"

Well, my mom does a daily listing of free books each day on her blog, so I'm kinda obliged to check it and pick up anything that looks interesting.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

What's your mom's blog, again? Despite what I said, I'm curious about her list. :)

message 42: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Ardnek | 38 comments kiddoswithkindles.blogspot.com

Mostly kid books and stuff she knows that my sister or I would be interested in. Sometimes she'll review a set of kid's books, and she says she'd be interested if any of my author friends would like to guest post about their books as long as they're mostly kid-friendly.

message 43: by Jotham (new)

Jotham (goodreadscomjotham) | 16 comments Corey wrote: "The Prydain Chronicles is a masterpiece of fantasy writing. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did."

Enjoyed it too. :D

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Kendra! I might contact her, as Red Rain can often pass as middle grade...

message 45: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb (httpwwwgoodreadscomvaron) | 97 comments Corey wrote: "The Prydain Chronicles is a masterpiece of fantasy writing. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did."

I think The High King was the first fantasy novel I ever read, except maybe the Droon series.

message 46: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lovelace (kingjon) | 89 comments Aubrey wrote: "1014?! Well, that puts my TBR list to shame..."
Over the course of a couple of years, one of the things I did to pass time every once in a while was to go through all WeRead's recommendations for me (it offered at most a batch of 25 at a time), marking each as "Read," "Want to Read," or "Won't Read" (or skipping it, if it didn't fit any of those); these batches apparently added up :). Actually, the list on WeRead was originally several times that count, since it didn't seem to care if I'd already rated four other editions of a book; I cleaned out all the duplicates when I transferred the list to LibraryThing.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Not by way of suggestion or anything, but Goodreads offers recommendations also... ;)

message 48: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lovelace (kingjon) | 89 comments So I've seen. But its algorithm seems to be inferior to WeRead's in every respect except being aware of books I've already read in different editions. And I have a lot less time to spare nowadays.

message 49: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Jones | 120 comments I have way too many books on my list to type them out... A few authors are John Piper, Charles Dickens, C. S. Lewis, Chautona Havig, Jules Verne, and Ray Bradbury... And I have a lot of others on that list too... Way too many. I'll never finish. :p

message 50: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla I'm hoping to conquer the Kingdom series along with
Casing Jupiter by Rachel Coker
Avenir Eclectia by Grace Bridges
to Birmingham Castle by Alicia A. Willis
Lots of books by Amy Carmichael and Janet Benge.
Along with about 90 more books. :)

« previous 1