Stephen King Fans discussion

The Random - Discussion Threads > Books that I'm missing - Question for the experts

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stefan (last edited Jan 01, 2013 06:56AM) (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments I'm a completest (but by no means a collector) and I think that I've accumulated the majority of King's works in my collection. If you experts out there wouldn't mind taking a look and suggesting anything that I might be missing, I'd greatly appreciate the input!

My Collection (Alphabetical order):
11/22/63 (Hardcover)

The Bachman Books (Hardcover)

The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix (The Green Mile Part 4) (Original Paperback Serial)

Bag of Bones (Hardcover)

Black House (Hardcover)

Blaze (Hardcover)

Blockade Billy (Hardcover)

Carrie (Hardcover)

Cell (Hardcover)

Christine (Hardcover)

Coffey on the Mile (The Green Mile Part 6) (Original Paperback Serial)

Coffey's Hands (The Green Mile Part 3) (Original Paperback Serial)

The Colorado Kid (Paperback)

Creepshow (Illustrated Oversize Paperback)

Cujo (Hardcover)

Cycle of the Werewolf (Illustrated Trade Paperback)

Danse Macabre (Hardcover)

The Dark Half (Hardcover)

The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower VII) (Hardcover)

The Dead Zone (Hardcover)

Desperation (Hardcover)

Different Seasons (Hardcover)

Dolores Claiborne (Hardcover)

The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower II) (Trade Paperback)

Dreamcatcher (Hardcover)

Duma Key (Hardcover)

Everything's Eventual (Hardcover)

The Eyes of the Dragon (Hardcover)

Faithful (Hardcover)

Fall of Gilead (The Dark Tower Graphic Novel) (Hardcover)

Firestarter (Hardcover)

Four Past Midnight (Hardcover)

From a Buick 8 (Hardcover)

Full Dark No Stars (Hardcover)

Gerald's Game (Hardcover)

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (Hardcover)

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower I) (Original Trade Paperback)

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower I, Revised Edition) (Paperback)

The Gunslinger Born (The Dark Tower Graphic Novel) (Hardcover)

Hearts in Atlantis (Hardcover)

Insomnia (Hardcover)

IT (Hardcover)

Just After Sunset (Special Edition Harcover)

Lisey's Story (Hardcover)

The Long Road Home (The Dark Tower Graphic Novel) (Hardcover)

Misery (Hardcover)

The Mouse on the Mile (The Green Mile Part 2) (Original Paperback Serial)

Needful Things (Hardcover)

Night Journey (The Green Mile Part 5) (Original Paperback Serial)

Night Shift (Hardcover)

Nightmares & Dreamscapes (Hardcover)

Nightmares in the Sky (Hardcover)

On Writing (Hardcover)

Pet Sematary (Hardcover)

The Regulators (Hardcover)

Road Rage (Graphic Novel Hardcover)

Rose Madder (Hardcover)

'Salem's Lot (Hardcover)

Secret Windows (Hardcover)

The Shining (Hardcover)

Skeleton Crew (Hardcover)

Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower VI) (Trade Paperback)

The Stand (Complete and Uncut) (Hardcover)

Storm of the Century (Hardcover)

Treachery (The Dark Tower Graphic Novel) (Hardcover)

The Talisman (Hardcover)

Thinner (Hardcover)

The Tommyknockers (Hardcover)

The Two Dead Girls (The Green Mile Part 1) (Original Paperback Serial)

Under the Dome (Hardcover)

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower III) (Trade Paperback)

The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower IV.V) (Hardcover)

Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower IV) (Trade Paperback)

Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower V) (Hardcover)

Related Books:

The Stephen King Quiz Book (Paperback)

Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance Revised and Updated (Trade Paperback)

Stephen King: A Literary Companion (Trade Paperback Early Reviewer Edition)

message 2: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments Impressive. I'm jealous. You have both The Shining And Carrie in HC? What kind of shape are they in? Those are some rare finds these days. Ditto The Bachman Books (though these are much rarer in their original paperback - I dream about finding one of those).

I'd use King's website as a reliable and accurate guide.
http://www.stephenking.com/the_library.html

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Looks pretty complete to me! You could always check on StephenKing.com for a full list of his writings. One book you might check out is the Illustrated Stephen King companion by Bev Vincent. Some interesting stuff in there. Also I recommend the Complete Stephen King Universe by Stanley Wiater.

message 4: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Trudi wrote: "Trudi (trudistafford) | 147 comments Impressive. I'm jealous. You have both The Shining And Carrie in HC? What kind of shape are they in? Those are some rare finds these days. Ditto The Bachman Books (though these are much rarer in their original paperback - I dream about finding one of those)."

Thanks!

Honestly, I got The Shining, Carrie, 'Salems Lot and Night Shift pretty recently from SFBC or Literary Guild, so I'm sure their reprints. I found the hardcover of The Bachman Books at a used bookstore here in town not too long ago (I actually have the trade paperback version, but the cover is coming off and the spine needs help. I can't give it up though as it has the original cover art for each novel preceding the novel which the hardcover omits.

I'll definitely check out the list that you linked.

Becky wrote: "Looks pretty complete to me! You could always check on StephenKing.com for a full list of his writings. One book you might check out is the Illustrated Stephen King companion by Bev Vincent. Some interesting stuff in there. Also I recommend the Complete Stephen King Universe by Stanley Wiater. "

Thanks for the suggestions. I always enjoy supplemental materials on the authors/series that I love. I'll have to check those out.

message 5: by Chris , The Hardcase (last edited Jan 01, 2013 10:08AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
Another Bev Vincent book, this one about the Dark Tower:
The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus

message 6: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Oh, and I forgot to add that I have Joyland and Dr. Sleep on pre-order already!

Thanks Chris!

message 7: by Dan (last edited Jan 01, 2013 10:58AM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 169 comments Wow, you have all his books. I reccommend that you add this to your collection...

'Salem's Lot Illustrated Edition by Stephen King

It's the "author's cut" of Salem's Lot. I found out about it on this group. It includes 50 pages of cut material, I think 50 more pages of added material, two short stories and a new introduction by King. Supposedley only 900 copies were printed. I just ordered mine of ebay. LOL. I recommend you somehow find that one too.

message 8: by Kevin (last edited Jan 01, 2013 04:52PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments It would be nice for you to get an original version of The Stand and The Gunslinger just to compare.

message 9: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments I do have The Gunslinger in both formats. I've thought about The Stand, but as I already love the long version as it is, I feel that I would miss everything that is not in the short version.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I recently acquired a copy of the original version of The Stand. I'm planning on reading both it and the revised version this year.

message 11: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments I wasn't aware that there was a 'revised', version and I will have to check my copy to see which it is. It has enough going on in an epilogue, that would make me wounder. What would have to be added or revised? A sequel perhaps. This was a mini series on TV of a sizable number of episodes. I didn't catch them all, but I read the full book.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Joyce wrote: "I wasn't aware that there was a 'revised', version and I will have to check my copy to see which it is. It has enough going on in an epilogue, that would make me wounder. What would have to be adde..."

The Stand was originally published in 1979. In 1990, a "complete and uncut" edition was published, which had hundreds of pages of new material, which mainly consisted of character info, I believe.

message 13: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Dan wrote: "Wow, you have all his books. I reccommend that you add this to your collection...

It's the "author's cut" of Salem's Lot. I found out about it o..."

Looks awesome, but it may be a bit out of my price range.

message 14: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments Thanks. : ) Then I believe it's likely I read the uncut version. Rich with character developement.

message 15: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments Note; I bought my e reader because I have a problem. Not enough space, too many books. I've had to stop getting magazine, and newspaper delivery because of this. I have been doing as much online and now my books on an e reader as I can to keep from being evicted.

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Joyce wrote: "Thanks. : ) Then I believe it's likely I read the uncut version. Rich with character developement."

I think that's the one that most people have read.

message 17: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments That's a great and complex story," The Stand", about human nature on the largest scale I could imagine. But yet it dealt with characters on a personal level. Even the 'Hardcase'.

message 18: by Dan (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 169 comments Stefan wrote: "Dan wrote: "Wow, you have all his books. I reccommend that you add this to your collection...

It's the "author's cut" of Salem's Lot. I found ou..."

Well I got mine for $44 on ebay. Here's one that's a little less pricy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salems-Lot-by...

message 19: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Thanks for the info. I just bought it!

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris King | 152 comments Impressive haul Stefan !

message 21: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments You have Creepshow!! I'm jealous.

message 22: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Leslie wrote: "You have Creepshow!! I'm jealous."

Yep, I got it through ebay quite some time ago. Unfortunately, the original owner must have been a heavy smoker, so I had to "quarantine" it for quite some time in an open zip lock bag in a shoebox filled with baking soda, but after several weeks of that treatment, it came out ok and was able to take it's rightful place with the rest of the collection!

message 23: by Dan (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 169 comments Stefan wrote: "Leslie wrote: "You have Creepshow!! I'm jealous."

Yep, I got it through ebay quite some time ago. Unfortunately, the original owner must have been a heavy smoker, so I had to "quarantine" it for q..."

Really. So that's how you cure that? I'll have to remember that. LOL.

message 24: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Yep, it works pretty well.

message 25: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Stefan wrote: "I'm a completest (but by no means a collector) and I think that I've accumulated the majority of King's works in my collection. If you experts out there wouldn't mind taking a look and suggesting a..."

Wow, VERY impressive collection, Stefan!!

message 26: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Thanks, Dustin. It's taken me a while to get everything collected. My main goal was to get everything in hardcover if possible and make sure that I had at least one copy of everything along the way.

message 27: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments That's great if you can't do it. I no longer have the time or concentration to go through so much. The books I just aquired on Nook , I'm slower then ever getting through.

message 28: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments I've already read the vast majority once, I just wanted to be sure that I had good copies of REAL books available to me for rereads.

message 29: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Stefan wrote: "Thanks, Dustin. It's taken me a while to get everything collected. My main goal was to get everything in hardcover if possible and make sure that I had at least one copy of everything along the way."

You're very welcome! I'd be mighty proud to possess the likes of your collection... especially Creepshow and Secret Windows.:)

message 30: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Got my Illustrated Edition of 'Salem's Lot yesterday! It's in perfect condition. 'Salem's Lot is special to me anyway as it was my first King read.

message 31: by J.W. (last edited Jan 12, 2013 12:36PM) (new)

J.W. Griebel (jengri) Literally mirrors my collection, except that I have all the Dark Tower novels in the original 1st printing hardcovers, and the Bachman Books as they were first printed, including Rage. I lucked out and found a woman selling 1st edition hardcovers of all Stephen King's work on Craigslist because she was moving, and I got them all for $50. I almost cried with joy. The only book I don't have now is Colorado Kid, as I don't like crime novels.

I think the only thing you're missing now is The Bachman Books.

EDIT: I just saw it listed at the very top. Must have skimmed over it.

message 32: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Stefan wrote: "Got my Illustrated Edition of 'Salem's Lot yesterday! It's in perfect condition. 'Salem's Lot is special to me anyway as it was my first King read."

Sweet!! I'm so happy for you, Stefan!!

message 33: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments I'm jealous of your individual copies of the Bachman's Jesse!

I also wanted to thank Dan for the awesome link to the Illustrated 'Salem's Lot. Not only was it only $24 and in great condition, shipping was free as well!

message 34: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments Just got back into 11/22/63. I am almost half way through. I thought the conclusion would be coming but I should know SK better than this. So I hunker down and ride out the rest of this. It's been an interesting, creepy, educational and bumpy ride. Yes , all of that.

message 35: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Joyce wrote: "Just got back into 11/22/63. I am almost half way through. I thought the conclusion would be coming but I should know SK better than this. So I hunker down and ride out the rest of this. It's been ..."

Sounds great, Joyce.:) Enjoy the ride!

Stefan wrote: "I'm jealous of your individual copies of the Bachman's Jesse!

I also wanted to thank Dan for the awesome link to the Illustrated 'Salem's Lot. Not only was it only $24 and in great condition, shi..."

Wow, awesome deal, Stefan!!

message 36: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments I've finally finished, " Bring up the Bodies", and found the Hilary Mantel is a British Scholar, who has access to the timeline and know facts of that period. She also is a great story teller. She uses Thomas Cromwell as her lead narrator, but you get the insights of the others.

message 37: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments Finally more than half way through !!/22/63, Mostly good writing. Long books are harder on an e reader, I[ve found. Harder on the eyes too.

message 38: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot What about the ebook only short story UR?

message 39: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot Edit: There's also a graphic novel version of The Talisman.

message 40: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Thanks for the suggestions Tony, both are on my wishlist.

message 41: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot Didn't he also write a short story series he never finished? "The Plant" or something like that?

message 42: by Gary (new)

Gary Martin (gmmartinbooks) | 87 comments Stefan I noticed you said you had the Bachman books. Do you have the hardback of Thinner copywrited under the name of Richard Bachman with the fake picture at the back? That was before it was discovered that Bachman and King were the same.

message 43: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments Tony wrote: "Didn't he also write a short story series he never finished? "The Plant" or something like that?"

He did. I've heard that one is especially hard to find.

The only other thing I can think of is My Pretty Pony

message 44: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Tony wrote: "Didn't he also write a short story series he never finished? "The Plant" or something like that?"

You are correct. King did start The Plant, which remains unfinished..

message 45: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments Oh and My Pretty Pony is also included in Nightmares & Dreamscapes if you just want to read it rather than trying to find the original edition with the clock in the cover. It's 100 pages and you can expect to pay more than $1 a page for it.

message 46: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Gary wrote: "Do you have the hardback of Thinner copywrited under the name of Richard Bachman with the fake picture at the back?"

You know, I'm not sure. I'll have to check when I get home. I kinda doubt it though. I think that Thinner is one that I inherited from my dad and he would have only purchased it after finding that King/Bachman were one and the same. It was one of his all time favorites though, so it is a possibility.

message 47: by Leland (new)

Leland (lesliehw) | 152 comments Oops, I'm wrong. The $100 edition is not the one with the clock. I can't even find a price on that one.

message 48: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 117 comments Leslie wrote: "Tony wrote: "The only other thing I can think of is My Pretty Pony "

Luckily, that one is included in Nightmares & Dreamscapes.

As far as The Plant goes, I've downloaded it from StephenKing.com . Unfortunately parts 1-6 are all that are available and it may never be completed. If you're interested, you can get the PDFs for free here: The Plant: Zenith Rising PDF

message 49: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Oxfeld (jreadr) | 65 comments OMG 11/22/63 is such such a page turner, except you have over 600 pages to turn to get through this. I think you don't need any spoilers at this point to get some good ideas where this might end.

message 50: by Tony (new)

Tony Talbot I think there are also other versions of "N" out there, standalone and not included in Just after Sunset. The same with Riding the Bullet. Stefan - are you interested in collecting those, or are you happy with the versions in the collections?

You know what would be interesting to find? There's a long anecdote by King about "The Raft" where he says he lost the original story - he wrote it for a "Gentlemens Magazine", shall we say, and never found it, but they paid him, and they paid him only on publication. That would be something to turn up!

« previous 1