Bad Monkeys Bad Monkeys discussion

Would you kill Bad Monkeys?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marina (last edited Jan 05, 2008 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marina Keenan - How would you determine the bad from the good ones?

- How would you manage the externalities of the good vs. bad distinctions, e.g. the possibility that a bad monkey might one day parent a child who cures baldness?

- How much proof would you need that the Bad Monkey would continue to act on its badness before sending it to Nod?

Bonus:

- Are your answers to the last three question consistent with your stand on capital punishment?

Vicki Interesting questions. I guess I'm more about permanently removing the bad monkeys from society rather than killing them. That way they can't harm anyone else ... and maybe, given the right environment, they might still invent that cure for baldness.

Vicki Interesting questions. I guess I'm more about permanently removing the bad monkeys from society rather than killing them. That way they can't harm anyone else ... and maybe, given the right environment, they might still invent that cure for baldness.

And, in case you can't tell, I'm against capital punishment.

And, in case you can't tell, I'm against capital punishment.

Vicki I obviously don't know how to use the reply function. Sorry for the repeats.

Josh 1) I think that the ultimate identifier is the ratio of bad or evil acts against the positive or possibly neutral actions they perform. Also if their evil level passes a certain threshold ala Dexter's maiming to murdering change.

2) I don't think that it would be possible to account for the future possibilities of someone's child. Each individual must (theoretically speaking) be held accountable for their own actions, not the possible actions of their progeny.

3) I think simply having verifiable first hand accounts, video or audio evidence, or traditional evidence (finger prints, weapons, etc).

4) My occupation is related to the correctional field and to my experience, as well as statistical evidence, many "bad monkeys" are the sort of people who are life time repeat offenders. While unfortunate, the answer to the problem given through the book is at least admirable is foregoing vindictive judgement to view it as putting down a dog whose violent tendencies cannot be curbed.
In summation, yes. My responses are in accordance to my view of capital punishment.