Start by marking “Fighting the Devil: A True Story of Consuming Passion, Deadly Poison, and Murder” as Want to Read:

Millionaire's wife wanted everything. She wasn't satisfied with a lavish lifestyle, and her rich husband stood in her way. She knew her middlle-aged lesbian lover would do anything to set her free, even if it meant premeditated murder.
A few years after the millionaire's death, a bottle of arsenic and mail to the millionaire was found in a storage locker rented by a woman u
Published May 25th 2010 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Fighting the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighting the Devil

Alana
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was amazed at this powerful and emotional book. It aroused all my emotions, joy, anger, love, hate, horror, fear. It is a tremendous book.Fighting the Devil
Jeannie Walker
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults who love mystery and suspense
This is a true story about the arsenic murder of a Texas millionaire. The motive to poison the wealthy 49-year-old man to death was Old Fashioned Greed - A million dollar estate and $350,000 life insurance policy. The millionaire's ex-wife became a real-life Sherlock Holmes to help solve the case.
Goldleader
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every adult
Recommended to Goldleader by: friend
I thought this was an exceptionally well written book. It grabbed my attention from the start to finish. I would recommend it to everyone who loves true crime, mystery and suspense. It is a good book and a good read!
Castlerock
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I found the book very intriguing and interesting. I kept reading it until my eyes got too tired.
It's that interesting. Just goes to show that sometimes you don't really know people like you think you do. I'm going to recommend it to all my friends.
Goldleader
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every adult
Recommended to Goldleader by: friend
I just finished reading the book, Fighting the Devil by Jeannie Walker. Thought it was a terrific book! When I checked out the author's website, I just had to get the book to read. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down...It is a good read!
Charles
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buy
This book was fantastic. I could not put it down. Everybody should buy this book and read it. It was blood chilling. I learned the devil will get people will do anything for money, including poisoning a person to death.
Royalreader
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a marvelous book. It was interesting from the first page to the last page. I hope there will be a sequel and this book made into a movie. It was definitely a good read. I loved it!
Carol Ann
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was given Fighting the Devil as a gift. I loved it. I could not stop reading until I finished it. It is an extraordinary book.
Haresh Daswani
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is my first time to read a true crime book and I found this book exceptionally unique.

What I like about certain books are the true colors and culture of the writer. Jeannie's strong traditional Christian inclinations, finding paranormal signs, and depiction of local police and justice was very insightful of her town and her story. It is so real, it feels so real, that when reading the book, I was with her as she fought for justice.

This book was a fast read, but in the end it can get very tech
Valerity (Val)
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
An amazing story written as only Jeannie could tell it from her perspective, and she's done a superb job. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I felt every high and low right alongside her, and more than once was moved to tears.
TJ
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is an account of one woman's experience living through the murder of her ex-husband, then following the steps it took to uncover the murderer and bring about justice. It does not read like a novel but more of recounting from memory - a step by step telling of events, adding legal evidence and backstory as necessary. It is obviously amateur but also intriguing, especially if one is interested in the journey from crime to punishment in a "Law & Order" kind of way but given from a lay ...more
Mary Beeson
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought Fighting The Devil was motivating and full of heart wrenching drama. I have to admit that the first few pages and one of the first reflections back had me really worried, but that soon passed and I was drug in. I cannot believe that someone, Jeannie, could go through a series of events such as these and be brave enough to tell about such things. Most people who live through events like she has block them and act as if they had never happened. But Jeannie Walker did not do this. She fac ...more
Ellen Maze
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
At first blush, Fighting the Devil isn't what it appears to be. Reading the cover synopsis, I expected a true-life who-dunnit/mystery thriller. What I got was so much more. This novel is a beautiful, heart-wrenching, inspirational, and oftentimes harrowing memoir of the life of one of the bravest women I know: Jeannie Walker. Faced with living with a tyrant, she manages to find forgiveness in her heart, and love--the kind of love God has--for a person who treated her lower than dirt.

Yes, you wil
Terry Lynn
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fighting the Devil is a powerful suspenseful thriller and a disturbing story about greed, lust, deception, hate, love, evil and faith.

Fighting the Devil by Jeannie Walker
Fran
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fighting the Devil

Jeannie Walker

Reviewed by Fran Lewis

When you want justice to be served you often have to handle it yourself. When Jeannie Walker realized what really happened to her ex-husband at the hand of his wife and bookkeeper she could not longer keep silent and took matters into her own hands. What you are about to read in this review is the story of one brave and courageous woman who decided to Fight The Devil with everything she had!

Money often plays an important role in some marriage
Rich Weatherly
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

The author of Fighting the Devil and several reviewers have shared the synopsis and overview of the book. I won’t attempt to restate what has been so clearly presented. To be honest, this isn’t a genre that I usually read. That said, once I started reading, I was hooked from the beginning. Jeannie’s story is far more compelling than I anticipated. It was hard to put down!

Published Review
“ForeWord Clarion Reviews: Readers who enjoy suspense, strong female leads, and crime drama, like Law and Orde
Jo Anne B
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow! Such an incredible book. I watch Dateline and 48 Hours Mystery and this blows them away. I never read an book about a murder mystery that happened in real life, let alone from someone personally involved with the victim. This was such a thorough recount of a woman's relentless efforts to right her ex-husband's death and bring his murderers to justice. It was so well written you couldn't help feel like you were reliving the events with Jeannie as she told the story.

I actually can't beli
Ellen Maze
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christians,murder mystery buffs, memoir buffs
Shelves: books-to-review

Yes, you wil
Rebecca
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While reading this book, my heart ached thinking of Jeannie Walker's children. No adult, let alone a child, should ever have to suffer through this much pain. It could possibly take years more for Jeannie and her children to recover from the heartache, injustices and horror. Without giving too much away, it is sad the battle for justice must continue, but I would do no less than Jeannie is continuing to do today. My having been a legal secretary/paralegal years ago, I should have been able to fo ...more
Jay Deb
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story has an explosive start. It really gripped my attention. A man has been poisoned to death and ex-wife is out to find out who did it, she goes from NY to Texas. Then the author digs into past and details how the man had tortured her during her tumultuous marriage, and then comes back to present.
The storyline held my interest throughout the book. It was hard to understand why a mistreated woman care so much about an ex-husband. But I think after a long time, people tend to forget and for
Marilou George
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jeannie Wallker's "Fighting the Devil" tells the true story of Murder and it's effects on the people left behind and their search for Justice. From the beginning this book grabbed my attention. The fact that this was a true story and a story that involved the Author made it even more interesting. Jeannie Walker's courage in sharing details of her and her children's lives and in her constant search for truth and justice are truly amazing. If this book is not on your must "read list" list you are ...more
Linda Rowland
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great detailed account of fascinating story.
Martha Cheves
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fighting the Devil – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat, Think With Your Taste Buds and A Book and A Dish

I had to put a gown and mask on. Lou Ann and Debbie helped me do that and I walked in and I saw Jerry had some tubes, one running up his nose and I believed he had a little…uh…a hospital gown on. His hands and feet were tied to each side of the bed with some sort of restraint. Jerry raised his head up and looked at me when I walked in. He said, “Gamble!” I said, “Yeah,
Todd Russell
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Successful business owner Jerry Sternadel died of arsenic poisoning in 1990. The book makes a strong case that the poisoning was at the hands of Sternadel's wife and bookkeeper. Sternadel claims to have caught them stealing $35,000 from the business and was going to go public with it when they fed him some arsenic-laced taco salad from a fast food restaurant in Texas.

I was tipped off that I might like this true crime book from a Goodreads message directly from the author, Jeannie Walker. Jeanni
Patricia
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fighting the Devil
By Jeannie Walker
Reviewed by Patricia A. Guthrie

Fighting the Devil could scare Lucifer out of anyone who’s perceptive enough to know he’s there and may be living with them.

Millionaire Jerry Sternadel is admitted into Bethania Hospital in Texas for a mysterious illness that baffles his doctors. He recovers and the next day he’s admitted again for the same symptoms. After three recoveries and three admittances, on July 12, 1990, he dies. By this time, authorities have already c
Rickey
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After reading the first chapter of this book, you are drawn into this emotional story and come to understand that Jerry Sternadel was not a very nice person. He treated his ex-wife, his wife, his children, his stepchildren, employees, and business associates very badly. But did he deserve to be poisoned with arsenic like a rat? Definitely, not!

Fighting the Devil by Jeannie Walker is about the arsenic murder of her ex-husband Jerry Sternadel, a Texas millionaire. With meticulous detail, the autho
Naomi
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ms. Walker's book Fighting the Devil proves that sometimes life is stranger than fiction. Her book depicts the story of her ex-husband, Jerry Sternadel's arsenic poisoning by his wife and bookkeeper for financial gain.

Readers may be familiar with this case through its depiction of occurances on Oxygen network's show, Snapped. Ms. Walker gives readers a picture of who Mr. Sternadel was from his young life to the time of his death, as well as a detailed account of the investigation and trial.

I re
Mark Young
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mark by: Author
Fyodor Dostoevsky once wrote, “Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer; nothing is more difficult than to understand him.” Author Jeannie Walker’s non-fiction book, Fighting the Devil, is about striving to understand a motive as old as Cain. Cold-blooded murder. This path of understanding came at a cost—Jeannie must reveal her pain and loss in order to tell the whole story in its unblemished truth. This took an act of courage. Jeannie had cause to walk away, distance herself from a man w ...more
Brent
Jan 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I ready this book specifically because it was so highly rated. However, WHO are these people giving this load of crap 5 stars? Does the author have that many friends on Goodreads with itchy mouse fingers?

This book is about a horrible tragedy. But the real tragedy is in how it's written--recycled information that she's already covered, but brought up again in a slightly different way--and the laborious slog it requires to make it to the end. As soon as I read the last page, I felt as if I had be
Richard Bunning
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I would like you to start by reading the negative reviews, then pause to think about what those individuals have actually said.
The first point is that they did not deny the events, but only the personal way in which they were described. That has hopefully reinforced my first point, this is a true story deserving of our time and consideration.
Is this book well written? Well, it isn't the best prose ever to cover a document. However, it is a country mile better than adequately written. Jeannie Wa
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Need to Kill: Confessions of a Teen Murderer
  • Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer
  • Madness and Murder (Jackson, #1)
  • Vanessa: A Portrait Of Evil
  • Karla: A Pact with the Devil
  • Sink or Swim
  • Deadfall
  • Evil Beside Her
  • The Butcher's Boy
  • Open Secrets: A True Story of Love, Jealousy, and Murder
  • Dandelions in the Garden (Countess Elizabeth Bathory, #1)
  • The Horribles
  • Radium Halos: A Novel about the Radium Dial Painters
  • A Love To Die For
  • Teeth (The South Pacific Trilogy #1)
  • The Duke & the Pirate Queen
  • First Impressions (Tombstone Treasures, #1)
  • Internet Slave Master
Award Winning Author

My debut book was a true crime. I am proud to announce "Fighting the Devil" was the 2011 NATIONAL INDIE EXCELLENCE AWARDS TRUE CRIME FINALIST and 2010 BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARDS TRUE CRIME WINNER.
My other true stories - "I Saw the Light", "Thomas, the Friendly Ghost", "Forever in My Heart", and my color illustrated children's book, "The Rain Snake".
"Fighting the Devil" is a True
“You gotta help me get out of here! They're trying to kill me. I'm gonna die. I've got $35,000 missing. Those two women took it. They're trying to kill me. You gotta help me. Cut me loose! Cut me loose!” 10 likes
“You gotta help me get out of here! Cut me loose! Cut me loose!
Well, Jerry, I gotta go to work, but I'll come back this afternoon and if you're not better, then we'll see about ... I'll see what I can do.
It'll be too late, Gamble. I'll be dead by then. Cut me loose! You gotta help me. You just gotta help me!”
8 likes