Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Beautiful Creatures
Beautiful Creatures Discussions > Initial Thoughts on Beautiful Creatures

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What do you think of Beautiful Creatures so far? No spoilers please!

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cute!! Looks like there is already a make-up set out for this book/movie! http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/produ...

image:

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Angie wrote: "Cute!! Looks like there is already a make-up set out for this book/movie! http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/produ......"

Very cute! Love the colors.

Ariel | 21 comments I like how it's from a guys perspective .. I'm not really into it yet though .

message 5: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments so far its not my cupa. The guy is boring he sounds like a female and nothing is happening yet the book is huge. Hopefully my opinion will change before the end of the book. :)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I listened to the audiobook. It takes a long time for anything to happen. At times, I thought I was back in Storm.

Chelsea | 3 comments I really am hooked on it now but I must admit that it took until well into it (probably AT LEAST page 100) to get into it. Initially, what kept me reading was the thought that its being made into a movie so it MUST be good, but now I'm to a point where it is very suspenseful. I'm not at all fond of the writing style in itself... It at times seem quite cheesy and maybe even expected, but the story as a whole is quite intriguing!

Chelsea | 3 comments Question.... If Lena is only 15 why is she able to drive (a hearse at that)? Maybe I missed this detail..

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Chelsea wrote: "Question.... If Lena is only 15 why is she able to drive (a hearse at that)? Maybe I missed this detail.. "

Good catch! It didn't dawn on me that she's too young to have a driver's license. It's hard to search an audio book but I vaguely remember something about the local law enforcement being lax about enforcing some laws - could this be one?

I understand that, in rural communities, the legal driving age may be lower - at least that was the case when young people had to drive farm vehicles to help their families. Is that still the case now? That might explain why a 15 year-old is driving but it doesn't explain why she's allowed to drive a hearse - not my idea of a farm vehicle.

message 10: by Kim (last edited Jan 02, 2013 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Grace wrote: "I listened to the audiobook. It takes a long time for anything to happen. At times, I thought I was back in Storm."

I listened to the audiobook too. I am not a fan of the book and thought maybe it's because of listening to it. I'm not sure if I disliked the story or just disliked the recording of it.

The thing I did like about the book was the setting. I'm stupidly in love with books that occur in the South. And if they're in the South and they have magic, all the better.

message 11: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments Im from a small town how ever we depend on the nearest city for alot of things including DMV. We can get licencse plates and pay taxes in our town but not get a license or anything like that also water and things like that.
The nearest city is the capital at 14.5 you get a permit so it could be she just had a permit and is driving at 16 you can drive with a full provisional license for two years until you turn 18 then you get a regular license .

I've also heard it changes from state to state and I know nothing about South Carolina. I live in North Carolina but although many people from outside the carolina seem to think because the names are similar we must be just alike I've been to south carolina and it was a culture shock.

It was like going back in time....and not in a good way if you catch my drift. :)

message 12: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments Let me clear it up about the 16 year old full provisional there is a catch your grades cant drop or your license is suspended. if your 18 that doesnt count though.

Kim  *Mo Chridhe* (KimtheBookCrier) | 8 comments Didn't like it much, to be honest. The setting was great, the story seemed promising and I loved the supporting characters but I just couldn't get myself to like Lena's character. I'm sure that the plot called for her being scared and unstable and feeling somewhat powerless, and I'm sure her character will be developed further later on but for this book, I just found her to be generally a wuss. I guess she's just not my type of female lead. I liked Ethan a lot though.

message 14: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Kat I finished the whole series and it does get better to those of u who are not a fan of it yet. Although it's not the best book ever, it is one of my favorite series.

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 47 comments I had a hard time getting into it at first and I'm not quite sure why. I read it over the holidays when things are a lot busier so I might reread it this summer to see if I enjoy it more. It was still decent but I'm disappointed that I figured out most of the plot twists so it didn't draw me in as much as other books.

Samantha (samantharandolph) It seems like there is a lot of potential in it at first, but it hasn't really drawn me in yet. Ethan has not made me truly care what happens; I've kept going out of moderate curiosity. Some of the characters seem too shallow and not very real so far. But, sometimes books do take awhile so I'll keep going!

Juliann Whicker | 38 comments Kim wrote: "Didn't like it much, to be honest. The setting was great, the story seemed promising and I loved the supporting characters but I just couldn't get myself to like Lena's character. I'm sure that the..."

I agree with the setting being fantastic, but yeah, I wasn't quite drawn in by the MC's.

message 18: by Bookwormsasha (new)

Bookwormsasha | 2 comments I wonder if there will also be beautiful creatures nail polish by OPI!

message 19: by Bookwormsasha (new)

Bookwormsasha | 2 comments Too many unresolved plots but I guess that what the saga is for!

message 20: by Onka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Onka | 4 comments It took me a while to get into this book, but right now I'm loving it! :) Although I still don't know what to think about Ethan and Lena... I don't hate them, but I don't love them either...

Kelsey (princessxkelsey) | 2 comments Chelsea wrote: "Question.... If Lena is only 15 why is she able to drive (a hearse at that)? Maybe I missed this detail.. "

I just started reading this today, she says she only has a permit and I know in some states (like New Mexico where my cousins live) you can get a permit sooner like Chakara said.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Kelsey wrote: "...she says she only has a permit and I know in some states (like New Mexico where my cousins live) you can get a permit sooner like Chakara said."

Hmmm...In Ontario, where I live, people aren't allowed to drive alone if they have a 'learner's' permit. They must be accompanied by a licenced driver. Is the law different in the U.S.? Or maybe, this is just one of the infractions the local authorities ignore in this small town.

message 23: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments Grace wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "...she says she only has a permit and I know in some states (like New Mexico where my cousins live) you can get a permit sooner like Chakara said."

Hmmm...In Ontario, where I live, ..."

depends on the state we have federal laws and state laws that must be followed. It kinda goes up the ladder Federal laws come into play after state laws or for something thats really serious.

some states you have to have a driver. Others like mine you only need a driver for a couple months then you can drive by yourself until cerfew.

Betsy I agree that it starts out slow but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. Loved it!

Tiffanie changing to Storygraph - TifCochran (tifreads) I guess the whole driver's license thing didn't phase me, I grew up in S. Dakota where you can get your permit and drive unaccompanied at age 14.

However, i agree with all the statements, the book was super slow to start off and it wasn't until at least 100 - 150 pages that i started to get into it. I am enjoying it so far, i Think I'm about 300 pages into it, But the Main Characters are not as strong as other series i have read. Hopefully they will flesh out more as the book goes on.

message 26: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chelsea wrote: "Question.... If Lena is only 15 why is she able to drive (a hearse at that)? Maybe I missed this detail.. "

I just read the part that stated that because it is such a small town the cops wouldn't bother to pull over someone underage.

message 27: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

If you haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird, were you confused by all the references to it? Luckily I have so I knew exactly who they were talking about when the author talked about characters from that book.

message 28: by Onka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Onka | 4 comments Angie wrote: "If you haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird, were you confused by all the references to it? Luckily I have so I knew exactly who they were talking about when the author talked about characters from ..."
Can you guess what my next read will be? :D Those references don't bother me that much but it surely makes me want to read To Kill A Mockingbird immediately!

message 29: by Ingrid (last edited Jan 09, 2013 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ingrid Seymour I'm only a few chapters in . . .

I like the setting to come to life, but I feel like I'm being hit over the head with the quaint, gossipy, small town references. Okay, I get it! Please move along with the story :)

message 30: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments I'm not understanding the LoooOOOoooove. I even watched the movie trailer and I still dont get it.

message 31: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments And yes I read the part last night about her driving at 15 she told the dude what ever his name is that she wsnt calling the cops because she wasnt old enough to be driving.

Ingrid Seymour Betsy wrote: "I agree that it starts out slow but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. Loved it!"

Betsy: I hope the same happens to me

Ingrid Seymour Angie wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Question.... If Lena is only 15 why is she able to drive (a hearse at that)? Maybe I missed this detail.. "

I just read the part that stated that because it is such a small town th..."

What an odd town. You'd get in trouble for being late to school, but not for underage driving :)

Sandra (sandraselvasv) | 47 comments I read it in 2012, so I'm re-reading it for the book club. And I came across some things I missed the first time I read it.

I agree with most of you, it takes to time to really get into the story, 100 pages, and I'm caught.

Priscila | 4 comments I've finished the book a couple of days ago and cai say I really liked it (although, I have to admit, Lena didn't quite measure up to my expectations for the character).

Unlike the recent posts, the book actually got me hooked on the first few pages, and I can't wait to start the others

message 36: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ingrid wrote: "Angie wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Question.... If Lena is only 15 why is she able to drive (a hearse at that)? Maybe I missed this detail.. "

I just read the part that stated that because it is such a..."

hahahahaha!!

message 37: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

For anyone interested we have read To Kill a Mockingbird as a group read.. here are the discussions: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

Ingrid Seymour The three aunts are quite fun. I know a few old ladies that sounds just like them with their old-time expressions and heavy southern accents. The authors have that down pat ;)

Candice Willman I started reading and had to put it down because it was a little slow. But I will say I have now passed page 100 and it's very interesting and cannot wait to finish now.

*Layali* (layalireads) | 94 comments I think it was around 100 pages when I realized that it was going to be a really interesting book with a lot of potential. I'm about halfway through at the moment, and I'm only struggling to get through it because school has started up again and I don't have as much time to read for fun. I'm sure I will be able to finish by the end of the month. :)

I loved the idea of Casters and the Southern way of living was icing on the cake. It's making the story really interesting to me because of all the characters with their deep roots planted in Gatlin. Most of them are just hilarious (like Amma and the Great Aunts).

Ingrid Seymour Jennika wrote: "I think it was around 100 pages when I realized that it was going to be a really interesting book with a lot of potential. I'm about halfway through at the moment, and I'm only struggling to get th..."

I love Amma and the Great Aunts, too! They ARE hilarious :)

Michelle Mcroberts | 8 comments Chelsea wrote: "Question.... If Lena is only 15 why is she able to drive (a hearse at that)? Maybe I missed this detail.. "

She only has her driver's permit...but she takes the hearse anyway, because what is Uncle Macon going to say if he sleeps all day?

And - I totally think I lived in this town...Alright, not really, but if you've never lived in a tiny, southern town south of the Mason-Dixon line, then I'm sure this book might have read a little slow for you, but:
I was a teacher at that school.
I was the Yankee living in the south and never
allowed to forget it.
I had only heard of the DAR when they handed one
girl a scholarship at my high school graduation.
I experienced the competitiveness of southern
women in their kitchens, and the fact that
cooking is one of the highest forms of art.
I was the outsider who was only invited to out-of-
school functions as entertainment.

* I also learned to appreciate MANY aspects of everyday life and social interaction in the south. Now that I live back up North, I even miss it now and then...

I think that each person's interest in this story has a lot to do with perspective and what you as the reader bring to the story...As for me, I enjoyed this book :)

message 43: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I used to live in TX and I will say that I too miss how nice people can be sometimes. Just driving down a back road and people just wave at you!

Ashley Reading Stewardess | 9 comments I loved this book, I can't believe I am just now discovering this series. Having read and finished the book, I cannot wait for the film adaptation and I am excited to read the rest of the series.

Angela | 20 comments I just finished Beautiful Creatures. I seriously loved this book soooo much. I cant wait for the movie!!!!!!!!

Ingrid Seymour Angie wrote: "I used to live in TX and I will say that I too miss how nice people can be sometimes. Just driving down a back road and people just wave at you!"

I also live in the south (I'm a transplant), and people and a few things are surely different. The food is great, too! LOL.

Amma always fixes Ethan something good to eat. The book definitely has the southern flavor down!

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) I just finished the first book and really liked it and can't wait for the movie. I have to wait till tomorrow night to start the next one because B&N didn't have it and I had to order it on amazon.

message 48: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (knoxdiver) Bit late to the discussion, but I just got the book from my library. Can't wait to read it since I prefer to read the book before I watch the movie. The trailer is captivating, though, which makes me really excited about the story. :)

Trisha I thought the book was okay...I don't know, it just didn't grab me like I hoped it would.

I love the idea about nail polish coming out too! LOL! who knew they would sell make up!?

Ingrid Seymour Mary wrote: "Bit late to the discussion, but I just got the book from my library. Can't wait to read it since I prefer to read the book before I watch the movie. The trailer is captivating, though, which makes ..."

Mary, I'm like you. I like to read the book first. I have a friend who is the opposite, which I just don't get! :)

« previous 1