David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Archive's > How long to wait for the next book

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments OK everyone. Lets hear it!

We all know it would be great to have all the books come out as quickly as David's books, but that's not the case.

So what is a decent amount of time to wait for a sequel to come out?
What is too long?
Is there anything as too short?

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments *preferred is more like 6 months. If given a choice in the matter. 1 Year is acceptable for my 'big time' authors (like Jim Butcher, Seanan McGuire, Ilona Andrews, Kelley Armstrong)

if it's much longer than a year, I'll evaluate how important the series is to me, or wait until more of it is done (like another few books) before I bother with it again

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) I agree with Alana. I'd prefer 6 months, but a year is okay too. I'd much rather have a well-written book with a longer wait than a so-so book that comes out quickly.

Longer than a year is tough; it depends on the author. Anything over 2 years in between books and I get really antsy. In that case, I'd probably wait until the entire series was done before starting. (I'm looking at you Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain .)

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 16 comments The faster the better. This isn't rocket science. It is generally assumed an author finishes a story, starts on the next one and works on editing at the same time.

The year delay from publishers is ridiculous. Six months gives me too much time to forget the details. A month to three months would be great.

Usually I wait to read a series until they are finished.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments I usually keep in mind that many of my favorite authors are not full-time authors. For many it's their side-job, and they can only do it after their regular stuff.

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "The faster the better. This isn't rocket science. It is generally assumed an author finishes a story, starts on the next one and works on editing at the same time.

The year delay from publishers i..."

Here here :) Speaking my language!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Ditto! I have a book that I have been trying to start but it's been a year since book one and I'm a bit lost, so now I need to go back and thumb through book one so I can figure out where I'm at. I love when it's 6 months or less. I hate 2 year waits!

message 8: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments If the time between books coming out is too long I usually forget about the series. I think 1 year is the maximum. Indeed as mentioned before I don't mind waiting for the next kelley Armstrong book for a year, because I don't forget about those series. I love short waits though, like Davids book. That way you still remember most of the last book and don't have to re-read anything if you don't want to.

message 9: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments All great answers!! Keep them coming. Thanks so much. :)

message 10: by Eva (new)

Eva King Sometimes even a year is too long, for example the wait for the next divergent book is killing me but so is the next 3 weeks until pay day so I can buy the next moon dwellers. Shrug!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments The cliffhanger, and then wait for the next book after Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning was HUGE and ugly for me... it was a horrid, horrid, one year wait.

But somehow... I don't know why, but a similar HUGE cliffhanger and then year wait after Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher wasn't quite as bad for some reason.

It does seem like I 'expect' bigger authors to have longer waits while. I have been spoiled by the short gap of time between some of my favorite Indy author series.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments Although there is one author I'm ready to nearly abandon...

I love the Merry Gentry series, and I totally get that authors that have multiple series (she also writes Anita Blake) may have even LONGER waits because of juggling both and 'muse' inspiration and what-not.

But 9 books in the series so far, and #9 was written in 2009. I've been waiting ALREADY for over 3 years now... 3 YEARS for a 'next' book. And she's not even writing it. She's just quoted as "Eventually I’m pretty sure you’ll get the next Merry book, but I don’t know when." - Laurell K. Hamilton

No title for #10, no expected publication.

I call B.S. and I'm re-evaluating if I will continue to consider myself a fan. For whatever reason, I've never been able to bring myself to read her Anita books. Maybe I'm jealous of the attention she is showing that series, and I'm just being stubborn and contrary.

message 13: by Eva (new)

Eva King How about Stephenie Meyer with the Host? It was 2008. almost five years. If it wasn't because I've read her book tons of times I don't i would remember how she writes.

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) (hannahsophialin) I don't really mind how long, just not 10 years or more and the sequel comes out, lol.
I'll just read other books while at waiting. :p
Even though anticipation is killing.

message 15: by Bookbringer (new)

Bookbringer (melaniebookbringer) If a sequel comes out after more than a year after the first book, then I don't read it. Even if the first book is amazing, I have lost all interest after that long time.

message 16: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
1 year or less is acceptable to me. I usually like to wait until a series is done, as well. But it seems lately I have been reading books shortly after they hit the shelves, which means I am waiting for books all the time! I end up doing a lot of rereading. It helps if I write a review on my blog, then I can look at that!

message 17: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Eva wrote: "How about Stephenie Meyer with the Host? It was 2008. almost five years. If it wasn't because I've read her book tons of times I don't i would remember how she writes."

Yup. That's one I'm not happy about, either. And it's not like she's got other things to write...unless she is writing a 5th twilight book- very doubtful.

message 18: by chucklesthescot (last edited Jul 03, 2013 07:44AM) (new)

chucklesthescot It's always too long when you are waiting to get your grubby paws on the next book. I started reading Harry Potter just before 5 came out, which was good, but the wait for 6 and 7 was unbearable!