Mount TBR 2013 Reading Challenge discussion

Level 8: Mt. Olympus (150 +) > Chris' Going to Give Zeus a Talking to Hike

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Don't have a reading list yet, but considering my tbr-have pile, I might be joining Bettie.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Let me know if you're looking for any suggestions. ;-)

(BTW You are one brave soul for making this one your challenge. I hope you have a lot of short novels. LOL)

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I do ( and two graphic novels). But I do need to get read of my TBR pile. See: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 4: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Yikes!
good luck :-)

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments I recommend Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell. It made my 2012 list for "Best Series". I even posted a review of that book on GR in case you're interested. You know it's a uniquely great story when the review starts off with "I don't usually like this genre but this book..."

Also, I haven't read The Children Of Men by P.D. James either. If you're interested in a buddy read anytime this year let me know and we can both use it for some Mount TBR credit.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments I agree 100% And it isn't even my kind of genre!

message 7: by Julia (last edited Jan 10, 2013 05:27PM) (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 46 comments *laughs* If I was including GN/manga, I'd be packing for Mars too. I may make an exception for the Summit of the Gods manga, since it's actually about climbing Mt Everest.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't count manga, usually, because it never ends up collecting dust on my shelves. I did finish the 2012 challenge by reading Baron: The Cat Returns.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Chris wrote: "A buddy read for Children of Men sounds good.

Cool! Any time after February is good for me. :)

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Say March 1st? Nice easy starting date.

message 12: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) I look forward to lurking in that thread. I started it and didn't get past page 15 or 20, for a number of reasons.

message 13: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Chris wrote: "Say March 1st? Nice easy starting date."

Sure! Sounds good.

Hayes wrote: "I look forward to lurking in that thread. I started it and didn't get past page 15 or 20, for a number of reasons."

Oh dear, I hope it isn't because it stinks...

message 14: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) No, just the wrong moment for me. I was really interested but had too much going on. I had to send the book on its way (it was a "bookring" and it needed to go to the next reader). It's not really my genre either, but I love James, so wanted to see how she handled the whole thing.

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Well, I'm going to try this whole bring my books under control idea. Most likely won't work.

message 19: by Bettie (new)

Bettie

To keep you going!
:O)

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) It sucks that they don't sell those here.

message 21: by Bettie (last edited Feb 12, 2013 08:03AM) (new)

Bettie The swedish version:

Made by Marabou

Elinor points out that if we finish the Mars quest then we will go on to Milky Way next. Clever, huh?

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Stand outs of the 103 are

Blacksad
Our Guys
Two Old Women
World Heritage Sites
The Snow Child
Parade's End
Literature and the Gods
The Lemon Tree
Stranger Magic

message 29: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Chris wrote: "Stand outs of the 103 are

Blacksad
Our Guys
Two Old Women
World Heritage Sites
The Snow Child
Parade's End
Literature and the Gods
The Lemon Tree
Stranger Magic"

What a good idea to keep a seperate note of the outstanding.
:O)

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Sometimes I get good ideas. Other times, I just get strange ones.

message 32: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Jun 27, 2013 07:56AM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) I want to know what Casa Loma is myself and have fiction on my shelf set there.

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) It is a house in Toronto. It's now a museum. Beautiful house and had been used in several movies.

message 34: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Jun 27, 2013 04:43PM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) It's in Toronto!? I always add widely-new things to see each trip. Here's another wonder. :)

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Here's the website.

http://casaloma.org/

The house is beautiful and so are the grounds. It's really detailed.

message 36: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Jun 28, 2013 08:33AM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) You mentioned beauty. Are you referring to pictures, or did a Philly gal go over there? It can't be far. A highlight for my brothers was driving to your town together in 2010 to see the Fliers.

One brother is NUTS about them; with logo glasses, coasters and stuff in his house. If that doesn't sound very Canadian, several key players are from our home town and plenty close to it. :)

message 37: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) This Philly girl went over there.

Ah, the sorrow of being a Philly team fans goes even into Canada. At least the Flyers aren't that bad. I'm surprised that the Union is doing so well.

message 38: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Jun 28, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) The Winnipeg Jets, our nearest city, did very well for their first year re-building the long lost team. I'm glad you visited Toronto. A little known place worth seeing, thanks to Mom telling me, is the Purina Hall Of Fame. It is a museum honouring animals who saved people! Most of the cats alerted family members to a fire.

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Wow, now I have to go back just see that.

message 40: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Jun 28, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) It's uplifting. They leave resources for adoption and there's a room in which they give live animal showings. Also fun, without being a sports fan, is the Hockey Hall Of Fame. You may to touch and photograph the Stanley Cup, the stationary duplicate copy.

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Which books do you have that are set in or near Casa Loma? I'm always on the lookout for books set in places I've been. When I was in Toronto, I started The Night Inside which takes place thoroughout the city.

message 42: by C. (Never msg. Just comment! Email if private.) (last edited Jun 28, 2013 01:23PM) (new)

C.  (Never msg.  Just comment!  Email if private.) (riedel) Isn't it awesome to read where we've been? You are first to seek recommendations from me! Yippee! I'm going to enjoy this. I hadn't heard of Casa Loma, except I have a novel by youth writer, Eric Wilson, who covers all our provinces: "The Lost Treasure Of Casa Loma", 1980.

A Toronto author Lyn Hamilton, my ultimate favourite, created an archaeological series about seldom-ventured locations of the world and the character is Toronto-based. Her first foray, "The Xibalba Murders" 1997, occurs among the Mayan pyramids of Cancún, México where I've been.

message 44: by Bev (new)

Bev | 328 comments Mod
Look at you! The top of Mount Olympus is in sight--great job!

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Thanks! I am trying to save money and this challenge helps so much. Thank you Bev beyond words for that.

message 47: by Ellinor (new)

Ellinor (1001andmore) Wow, you've made it, congratulations! I still have way to go.

message 48: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) If I can do it, you can do it.

message 49: by Bev (new)

Bev | 328 comments Mod
Congratulations! Laurel leaves all around!

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan | 108 comments Great climbing! Congrats.

« previous 1