Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Twelve: Part 1: The Ghost.

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments This is the first of the topics for discussion of The Twelve by Justin Cronin. This is the second in the trilogy begun in The Passage.

Since spoilers are allowed please only post contents related to the part referenced in the title. The first person posting might want to do a brief summary of what happens in the section, so we can be reminded of when to start (and stop) posting, contents-wise.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (last edited Jan 05, 2013 07:48AM) (new)

Dan in AZ | 2679 comments The recap of The Passage was handled adroitly and was certainly necessary. Even after that it took me a while to really remember who was who. I expected the first chapter to take up where The Passage left off, but we didn't find out what happened at the compound until later. (Well, that's a start anyway).

message 3: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I was glad that it kind of went over everything in the prologue. Because I for after the long wait forgot the first book until I started reading this one. It was strange how they did it. This part it's taking me awhile to get in but pushed myself to read the whole section once I started. I'm thinking I might still go back to his website and read what he has for the 1st book.
I'm reading both the nook copy and a library copy (which I have for only 14 days but hopefully I can renew it) I think at times the epub copy might go faster but it will be a good test. Sometimes it seems I just need a break from reading the nook. whether it's charging or just a change.
Don't know what else I can say about this section. so far not taking notes but probably will start soon.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments I agree with you, Dan - the recap of The Passage was necessary and well done. I may end up referring back to it again.
Scott Brick as audio narrator will be good. He has a nice tone to start out.
Chapter one is an Amy chapter. We probably all remember Amy. The visual images reading raised of Amy walking among the children in a compound was a vivid reminder of parts of The Passage. I was immediately drawn in, reminded of Theo and Mausami (Mouse) and then saddened to realize they were dead - did they die in the first book, can't remember, but thought they didn't. Five years have passed, since Caleb is said to be five.
This reminded me of the first book where we were constantly looking for clues to the "when" and how long the time between segments had been.

Chapter two reintroduces us to Alicia, now a scout and out on patrol looking for one of the Twelve.
I always liked Alicia and was a bit disappointed when she didn't end up with (was it Peter?) in the first book. I obviously need to go back and read my The Passage notes.
Alicia is hunting Virals and we learn a few new interesting skills have evolved so that she has a mix of viral and human blood making her neither and recently she has started to be able to feel and read the thoughts / memories of viral she encounters, somewhat like Amy.
I watch The Walking Dead series on AMC and found images of those encounters filled my head as I read of the interaction with Mary.
a very good start!
I likely won't post on Part two for a while - it is long!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Hope this might help bridge the gap a bit between The Passage and The Twelve as to what has been forgotten and what is not yet revealed.
I am posting my open questions from the final and epilogue chapters of The Passage that this group had discussed back in Sep-2010 here...
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...
Some of the closing questions I am eager to have answered:
1. What happened to all of the characters, but especially Theo and baby Caleb.
2. When the virals trashed the Humvee and "everything in it was scattered around", did that include the files on the twelve? Could Theo still have the intact files or did they carry some or part of them on the walk to Roswell?
3. If Babcock's Many were all sent on their final Passage by Amy and the First Colonists were dreaming Babcock's dreams - wouldn't they likely have been part of Babcock's many and then seen by Peter and the others as Amy set them all on their journey with their names and memories restored? Is that why the First Colony was empty of bodies, they all traveled to follow Babcock?
4.Which of the Twelve's Many attacked Roswell, and why was a safe city (safe for many years before I thought) attacked now, just as Sara and the others arrived?
5. What is Wolgast now? Is he a ghost only seen by Amy and Lish or is he another person transformed into something else by the virus - did they give him some during his confinement?

message 6: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments ann, reading your questions did help trigger some reminders. so glad you thought of posting them.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Daniel wrote: "The recap of The Passage was handled adroitly and was certainly necessary. Even after that it took me a while to really remember who was who. I expected the first chapter to take up where The Pas..."

i was very glad for the re-cap since i remember basically nothing about the passage at all..lol
i am still a little confused but figure things will fall into place the more i read.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments Same here sherry I stopped reading it today because it was noisy

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments I'll use this as a place to post a non spoiler comment about part two since I haven't finished it yet and won't open that thread yet...
The (many) chapters in part two also serve as a sort of bridge between the two books, (very mild) (view spoiler) An interesting way to start. This book makes me notice plot points more that the last one, I keep thinking about the structure and layout. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a bit easier to put down.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I pushed so now I'm just up to part III. I agree Ann, I was reading about one group more than the other. confusing at times.
I'm thinking I'm liking the way the chapters are short. Even though I feel I'm getting into one part of the storyline and they switch.

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Ann wrote: "I'll use this as a place to post a non spoiler comment about part two since I haven't finished it yet and won't open that thread yet...
The (many) chapters in part two also serve as a sort of brid..."

i agree. at first that was confusing for me :)

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments What a skinny little part! I didn't realize when I set up the topics, but I think that's okay. I just realized that I was referring to an ARC, so I hope it is consistent with the finished products you all were reading.

I agree with Dan that the summary was useful. I really had to work hard to remember what happened in The Passage, don't remember how the first member of the group died. Sad to learn that Caleb's parents are dead, I don't think that was covered in The Passage. Hope there is some explanation at some point.

Ann, I too was disappointed to have Alicia not wind up with Peter. I guess Peter is paired with Amy in some way, although not yet clear if it is meant to be romantic. So, she's 90-something now? I guess her body hasn't aged in chronological terms. I assume she's aged body-wise from the child we first met.

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments I just picked up the audio version of The Twelve so that will help me move along faster. I still have the ARC to reference, which helps with complicated plots introducing many characters.

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Ann, your closing questions were so useful! I'll go back and look at the posts on The Passage, that should help orient me as I continue with Part 2.

I too wonder about Wolgast. I thought he was dead but the way Amy keeps talking to him and wishing for him I wonder if he will surface in some other-worldly form at some point.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Carol: You have much fun ahead!! I think you will really enjoy the audio of The Twelve supplemented by the print copy. The thread segments were just right for commenting, though a couple of the parts were looooong and I was chomping at the bit to get through them to post.
I will have some comments to add as you go along so look forward to your thoughts!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Carol: That was one of the things I liked about the book as I settled in, it was a neat challenge to connect it to The Passage as I read.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I agree with Dan that the summary was useful. I really had to work hard to remember what happened in The Passage, don't remember how the first member of the group died. Sad to learn that Caleb's parents are dead, I don't think that was covered in The Passage. Hope there is some explanation at some point."

message 17: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments I picked up "The Passage" at RJ Julia. I try to get a book to thank them for the author events. I'll get to the twelve. Eventually. Don't wait.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Barry - you have a lot of reading and some good discussions ahead of you!
Barry wrote: "I picked up "The Passage" at RJ Julia. I try to get a book to thank them for the author events. I'll get to the twelve. Eventually. Don't wait."

message 19: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments I'm in the Twelve now, and have the advantage of just having read the Passage. I had mixed feelings as to what my first post should be, so I'll give you both versions:
1. Boy, you guys beat me to all the insights. What am I supposed to post now?
2. Think of the Marshall McLuhan sketch in Annie Hall:
"You know nothing of Cronin's work. How you ever thought you could have an intelligent discussion of his work is beyond me."

I am in general agreement that the prologue and chapter 1 have not really added anything much. We knew Alicia was going hunting for the Twelve, and so see her at work. We learned of her nature too, and this was a major factor in Amy destroying the blood borne virus. We still have just foreshadowing of what Caleb and Peter are, and a reminder that Lacey is extraordinary too.

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Barry: I am eager to hear of your take on The Twelve as you read it, especially with your more recent experience with The Passage. I have a feeling some of the things we have forgotten are more fresh in your mind, and you will add a lot to the discussions! Enjoy!

message 21: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments looking forward to hearing what you think.

message 22: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Mar 08, 2013 03:12PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments What Ann and DJ said. I felt that way when I chimed in weeks after the original posts took place. Everyone was kind enough to respond to my "me too" posts. I'm sure you'll do much better!

message 23: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments OK, me to, since even I do not have a clue what I will say next.