Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Passage, Part Eleven, Chapters 71-74, Postscript.

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3766 comments so i finished and overall , i liked it but didn't love it. if i'd known BEFORE i started reading it that this was the first in a trilogy, i'm not sure that i would have read it.. but anyway..
the ending left the book totally open to a sequel. at least almost everyone ended up together in the end. i couldn't believe that lish ended up in the army, but i think that move of hers saved everyone's lives. i knew right from the beginning that peter's mother was talking about him being the strong one, not theo being the strong one. i was sad for him that it took him so long to realize that.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments SPOILERS TO THE END>

I liked it a lot, Sherry, but The Stand still defines the genre for me.
I think I'll wait to decide on the sequels until they have all been published -- see what the buzz is. I'm sort of ticked that the end is left as a bit of a cliffhangar, although the fact that the reference to the journal entry is "The Roswell Massacre" doesn't bode well.

One of the things I felt was a kind of a cheat is the way that people kept getting rescued in a miraculous way after you are sure they are dead. One example: the attack on Theo near the end of the book. We are sure Theo is about to be ravaged by a viral and when we return we find that he is alive, having been saved in some inexplicable way. Was he saved by a viral-turned Galen, who shot himself? Dunno... Things like this were always happening and while I was happy to see any of our main characters escape near-certain death, it just felt like a cheat.

Sherry wrote: "so i finished and overall , i liked it but didn't love it. if i'd known BEFORE i started reading it that this was the first in a trilogy, i'm not sure that i would have read it.. but anyway..
the e..."

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 03, 2010 02:15PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Summary of Part Eleven to ground the conversation. Spoilers all over the place.
Part XI, The New Thing, Postscript

The groups finally gets to the homestead. Theo survived the viral attack -- someone shot the viral, but Maus says it wasn't her. They find a dead viral in the barn.. Galen, Maus' husband, presumed dead when the search party from the Colony was attacked.
Alicia was rescued. Peter attempts what he thinks is a mercy killing, but she prevents the stabbing by grabbing his hand and forcing it back.
Oh, and now she is a special recovered "good" viral who can fly. (do I sound a little sarcastic? just poking a little fun)
Peter plans to inject himself with the virus to create another superbeing, but Amy destroys it first. She says it has to be that way."
The group splits up... Sarah, Hollis, Maus and Theo head back to the encampment; Peter, Michael, Alicia and Greer keep going. The travelers come to the old Colony. No one is there.
They figure out that each of the 12 if a host for all the people they attack, like a Queen Bee and her drones. If you kill the first, you kill them all. Is this a setup for eleven more sequels?
The group with Sara arrives at Roswell, their destination where there is a military encampment. This is her journal speaking. Sarah thinks she is pregnant but hasn't told Hollis. She hears a sound and is going to investigate. The book ends with a reference for the section as coming from something labelled the Roswell Massacre. That can't be good.

The End

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments okay, now I'm thinking I will read the sequel, eventually. I hope GR is still around so I can brush up here on the story.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Q. can the virals propogate or are they sterile? (or only male)

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3766 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "SPOILERS TO THE END>

I liked it a lot, Sherry, but The Stand still defines the genre for me.
I think I'll wait to decide on the sequels until they have all been published -- see what the buzz is..."

oh i totally agree, carol. not much can hold a candle to the stand!

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3766 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Q. can the virals propogate or are they sterile? (or only male)"

oh geeze, i never even thought about that. we know some are female because of the jewelry that some of them wore.. at least i think i remember that.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments virals with jewelry? I missed that. Whas it Gucci or Tiffany? (snicker)

Sherry wrote: "
oh geeze, i never even thought about that. we know some are female because of the jewelry that some of them wore.. at least i think i remember that. ..."

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3766 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "virals with jewelry? I missed that. Whas it Gucci or Tiffany? (snicker)

oh geeze, i never even thought about that. we know some are female because of the jewelry that some of t..."

i (vaguely) remember them talking about one of the virals that had gold jewelry around her neck.
then when peter killed ,oh crap i can't remember his name, they knew it was him because of the necklace he wore.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Oh yeah, it's coming back to me now. Although these days, a gold necklce doesn't necessarily mean a female wearing it, LOL...

i (vaguely) remember them talking about one of the virals that had gold jewelry around her neck.
then when peter killed ,oh crap i can't remember his name, they knew it was him because of the necklace he wore. ..."

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3766 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Oh yeah, it's coming back to me now. Although these days, a gold necklce doesn't necessarily mean a female wearing it, LOL...

i (vaguely) remember them talking about one of the vi..."

yeah you're right but i seem to remember some of the virals referred to as "She". doesn't mean it happened, though..lol

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3638 comments I'm finally finished. I finally finished my first bfb on the nookette. Don't know my thoughts yet have to think about it for a day or so. But will come back to post what they are. I know what you mean with thinking someone was dead then suddenly they aren't. Alot of ups and downs. Still leaving you with a cliffhanger in the end. Who makes it out and who doesn't with the one group. I liked how it ended with the last chapter in Sara's journal.

What nook book is next up for me I'm not sure. I need to finish the library book first and then decide on which book on nookette is next up. For the time being I'm thinking since I have 56 books total on there. Which 41 is e books (2 of those might be the short essay type books that are only a few pages long) I have 15 samples which I think I might work those down some. And I have 13 in the archive. Today's free book was one by Kathryn Kennedy. It looks good and is first in a series. So also good.

message 13: by Ann (last edited Sep 25, 2010 04:22PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Carol:
I will definitely read the sequel. I imagine you will be lined up to read it too, though the size of this one was daunting. If I hadn't already been hooked, the postscript chapter with Sara's voice and her journal entries would have convinced me I need to find out what happened. My heart was in my throat each time the words, "day 278" "day 280" were intoned.

I don't think the virals are able to propagate in any way except by creating new ones from humans. I am pretty sure there are female and male virals, and since they were once human they do seem to retain some human traits. I thought I remembered a viral earlier in the book described as a female, I assumed by body type.

There are a zillion comments I could make.
Some of the closing questions I am eager to have answered:
1. What happened to all of the characters, but especially Theo and baby Caleb.
2. When the virals trashed the Humvee and "everything in it was scattered around", did that include the files on the twelve? Could Theo still have the intact files or did they carry some or part of them on the walk to Roswell?
3. If Babcock's Many were all sent on their final Passage by Amy and the First Colonists were dreaming Babcock's dreams - wouldn't they likely have been part of Babcock's many and then seen by Peter and the others as Amy set them all on their journey with their names and memories restored? Is that why the First Colony was empty of bodies, they all traveled to follow Babcock?
4.Which of the Twelve's Many attacked Roswell, and why was a safe city (safe for many years before I thought) attacked now, just as Sara and the others arrived?
5. What is Wolgast now? Is he a ghost only seen by Amy and Lish or is he another person transformed into something else by the virus - did they give him some during his confinement?

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3766 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
I will definitely read the sequel. I imagine you will be lined up to read it too, though the size of this one was daunting. If I hadn't already been hooked, the postscript chapter with Sara..."

great questions, ann!
i probably won't read the next one in the series so i am counting on all of you to tell me what happens..lol

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments agreed, great questions Ann. Do you mean Theo or Peter regarding the intact files? I thought Peter got the from Lacey?

Not sure I will read the sequel, actually, but I really enjoyed discussing this in depth with you all, so if you're reading and liking it I might be persuaded.

Interesting point about Wolgast, it was a surprise when he returned as a spirit (for lack of a better description) and I loved the closure of knowing Amy felt so connected to him and he to her.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Carol:
I did mean Theo and the files. Peter shared the files with the others when they met up again and then the files were put in the Humvee for the trip Theo and Maus and baby Caleb, and Sara and Hollis made to Roswell. The Humvee was trashed by virals on their way and they ended up walking the rest of the way, but I thought I remembered around Day 271 in Sara's journal the Humvee was trashed and day 275 when the Virals attack the Humvee again, shredding it; 50 KM to the garrison and reluctantly them leaving Theo behind in the last bunker because he couldn't walk that far. The other four left carrying nothing but water and rifles.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "agreed, great questions Ann. Do you mean Theo or Peter regarding the intact files? I thought Peter got the from Lacey?
Not sure I will read the sequel, actually, but I really enjoyed discussing ..."

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
I did mean Theo and the files. Peter shared the files with the others when they met up again and then the files were put in the Humvee for the trip Theo and Maus and baby Caleb, and Sara and..."

Oh, I remember that part, now that you mention it, but somehow lost that Theo hadn't made the final trek. More reason to read the sequel, although I'm still not sure I will.... do we know when that is expected to come out?

message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3638 comments Yeah but then it came back that they picked up Theo along the way. That I remembered because I was hoping they would and they did. If there is anything on a certain chapter if you know it that you want me to check just ask and I can go back on the nook.