What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Debatable Space
This topic is about Debatable Space
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-Fi: Rebellious woman flying alone through space (FTL), her father's a super-rich, super-powerful CEO-type who's done a lot of bad things [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Basden | 5 comments I had just started reading this on a trip and left it in the hotel room when checking out so I don't remember too many details, but most likely published between 2000 and 2010. I don't remember who the author was, but pretty sure he or she was as well-known as Heinlein or Asimov.

I remember the story being about an adult female flying through space alone in a very high-end, unique ship. She's fiercely independent, highly intelligent, and very skilled in fighting, both hand-to-hand and in space.

Her father was one of those president-of-the-largest-corporation-in-the-galaxy types, possibly involved in politics but I don't believe so. He'd done quite a few bad things that I think either directly or indirectly led to people dying.

I THINK there was some sort of A.I. on the woman's ship, but can't be positive of that one.

Would be happy to look up the plots for any titles if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you!

message 2: by Walter (new)

Walter Underwood (wunder) | 3 comments Perhaps Darkship Thieves by Sarah Hoyt? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66...

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Basden | 5 comments Darkship Thieves' plot seems similar but it's not the one I'm looking for. Thank you though!

message 4: by Bryan457 (new) - added it

Bryan457 | 284 comments Maybe:
The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1) by Debra Doyle The Price of the Stars
Freebooter at heart, spacer by trade, Beka Rosselin-Metadi doesn't want to hear about how her father whose rugged general ship held back the Mageworlds -- or her highborn mother whose leadership has held the galaxy together since. Beka pilots spacecraft -- as far from her famous family as possible.Then Beka's mother is assassinated on the Senate floor, and her father offers her the title to Warhammer, prize ship from his own freebooting youth -- if she agrees to deliver the assassins to him "off the books."

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) bump - to me, it doesn't sound like something one of big names would have written. But I've got a lot of sf on my shelves to work through so please keep bumping; I might find it...

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Basden | 5 comments I'm the OP - finally found it:

Debatable Space by Philip Palmer

Doesn't have the best of reviews on Amazon (haven't checked goodreads, new here) but I like what I read so far. Thanks to everyone who helped though!

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Brian--I shelved the book and am moving this down to "Solved" for you. Congrats on finding your book.