YA LGBT Books discussion

Read-to-Review > FREE BOOKS in exchange for Honest Reviews - Info - READ THIS FIRST!!!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Read-to-Review - The Basics.

Authors like to get reviews of their work.
Readers love free books.

In Read-to-Review, authors provide a limited number of free copies of their books, in exchange for a promise from the recipients to post a thoughtful and honest review.

This feature is aimed at helping connect interested readers with Authors offering books. Be sure to read the directions carefully and understand that the YA LGBT Books group takes no responsibility for the behavior of authors or reviewers who participate. We'll facilitate you getting together, but if there are conflicts it will be up to those involved to sort it out. We hope this will be a win/win situation with both readers and authors benefiting from this opportunity. Please note that we may change the details of this process as we see how it works out. Please reread carefully for changes in the future.

Every offered book will have its own thread. Readers can post in the thread of a book they are interested in reviewing. ***Do not put any email addresses into the open threads*** Authors should contact their prospective readers by PM to make email arrangements.

Below you will find two boxes. “Directions for Readers” and “Directions for Authors”. Please read your appropriate directions carefully. This will only work if everyone goes in with the same expectations.

So... we're off. We hope this feature becomes a fun place for readers and authors to meet and help each other out.

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Oct 27, 2016 08:05AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments “Directions for Readers”

Check out all the offered books. Sign up for only one book at a time. If you are in the process of reading and reviewing one author-provided freebie, you cannot sign up for another until your review is posted. When you have selected a book, put a comment in that book's thread saying “I'm interested in reviewing this one.” ***Do not put your email in the thread*** Save that information (or mailing info for paper copies) for PMs only. We strongly urge members, particularly under-18s, to be cautious about what email you use, and to not provide physical addresses at all unless you are very comfortable with the author involved.

The author of the book will PM you to get your contact information, or possibly to let you know that all copies have already been taken. Do allow time for this process - not everyone is on Goodreads on a daily basis - however if you have not had a response after a week, feel free to PM the author in question and inquire.

Reviews must be posted within one month of getting the book (unless you negotiate an extension) and should be as fair, honest and informative as you can manage. They must contain at least 5 sentences. Negative reviews are fine if they are appropriate, but personal attacks on authors are not. Confine your reviews to the content of the book itself. Hopefully most of you will enjoy the books you read.

When your review is up, put a link or a copy in the thread where you got the book in the first place. This shows that you are done and lets you request another book from a new author.

When communicating with an author by PM be sure to discuss
- ebook format or paper if available (Where you live may be an issue for mailing books- most read-to-review will be ebook only. .pdf format can be read on most computers.)
- where you plan to post a review (eg. Amazon requires at least one verified purchase from them.)
***Amazon new rules suggest that is is best to state "review based on an advance copy" or something like that. do not use the words "in exchange for an honest review" or similar on AZ as they now remove any reviews that suggest you got something, even just a free copy "in exchange"***
- any issues that are real problems for you to be able to enjoy a story (eg. If you can't read books where the mother dies, or you can't read about bullying.)
- time frame if you cannot meet the one month requirement

Try to have fun, pick books you think you'll like, and be courteous and responsive to author communications. If you have a real problem with an author or are confused about procedures, you can let a group mod know and we will try to help you out, but we will not be responsible for books that do not get sent or any other problems you may have with this process. We also reserve the right to delete any posts we feel are inappropriate or problematic for the group.

When all copies of a book are taken it will be moved to the "Read-to-Review - complete" folder This allows people looking for books to find the available ones. If the book you have read is one of those, please do go to the book's thread in the "complete" folder to post the link to your review.

Good luck and enjoy the free books.

message 3: by Kaje (last edited Feb 09, 2019 04:18PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments “Directions for Authors”

For every book you are offering for review, ***begin a new topic thread in this folder.*** Do not just comment on this thread - Click on the folder name "Read-to-Review" - this will bring up the list of all the book threads. In the top right above the list of book threads click on "new topic".

This will bring up a new topic thread for you. Title it with something about the book you are offering (eg. book title or some brief description - see existing threads.)

In the first comment box, include the following (if you have technical difficulties, ask us. You may copy and use this as a template. Please make the book title a Goodreads Link. If your book is not listed on GR we recommend doing so first.) You may look at my Benefit of Ductwork thread for an example.:

Title:

Cover:

Number of copies available (Edit this as you give out copies):

Formats available:

Word count or pages:

Blurb:

**any content warnings:

Excerpt: - if desired, this is not a requirement but may attract readers. (You can hide this with spoiler tags, especially if it is not the beginning of the book- type <*spoiler> before it and <*/spoiler> after - with the * removed for the tag to work - and it will be hidden from the readers who do not want advance information, but available at a click to those who do.)

.procedure details
** This is important. This is a YA group, and books offered for Read-to-Review must be Young Adult books. Books with explicitly-described sex or violence are not YA by our definition and are not permitted. Yes, you can argue this point, but as moderators we will not be involved in potentially offering this type of reading material to minors.
** However that still allows for a range of content. If your book has on-page sex, violence, mature themes, or edgy material that makes it more appropriate for older teens please note that as a content warning. Also if you have a plot element you think might be a trigger for readers you may want to give a warning like “Death of a main character”. This is to your benefit too - the reviews you will get from a reader who is not warned about really edgy content will not help your book.
** If you want to give a warning, but think it might be a spoiler for content, put it under spoiler tags - type <*spoiler> before it and <*/spoiler> after, with the * removed for the tag to work, and it will be hidden from readers who do not want advance warnings, but available at a click to those who do.

Readers will be posting in your book thread asking for a copy. It is your responsibility to click on their name or avatar and message them privately to continue. If someone has a private profile that does not accept messages, come back to your book's thread here and post a request for them to contact you.

Read over the “Directions for Readers” thread. Those are our criteria. You are allowed to have your own restrictions (eg. Needing Amazon reviews, or needing reviews in 2 weeks or less.) In that case they must be clearly stated in the book description you post. And be sure to discuss them with prospective readers. Please check your thread regularly and send books out promptly so readers are not left waiting.

Readers are encouraged to post honest reviews. Do not comment on reviews, unless you just say a simple “Thanks”. Do not request changes or dispute points in the reviews. If you feel a review is inappropriate or if a reader fails to follow through and provide a promised review within the time frame, you may contact the group moderators and we will try to assist, but we are not responsible for the interactions between authors and reviewers. We also reserve the right to delete any posts or threads we feel are inappropriate or problematic for the group.

If you feel a reader has completely failed to review a free book, you may post a note to that effect in your own book thread only. If this possibility worries you for choosing your own readers, check other authors' threads for possible reader concerns before sending out books. It is fine to provide only ebooks, even if some readers cannot participate for that reason.

We hope you will get some reviews of your work from this feature, and find it useful. There is no deadline for closing a book thread or limit to the copies you may offer - you may leave it up as long as you wish to attract readers. We hope every book has takers, but some books may not appeal to our members. If that happens, please do not take it as a reflection on your work in general. If you have given out all of your copies, please edit the first box of your thread to show that all copies have been claimed. We will leave the thread up until you tell us that all reviews have been posted.

Good luck and may your reviews be good ones.

message 4: by John (new)

John Goode | 156 comments This is a great idea!

message 5: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Harrington (trishaharrington) | 101 comments Kaje wrote: "
“Directions for Readers”

Check out all the offered books. Sign up for only one book at a time. If you are in the process of reading and reviewing one author-provided freebie, you cannot sign..."

That is a brilliant idea :)

message 6: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) I like this idea, too! I don't review often because I tend to read trad pub books with plenty of reviews, but I'd like to review some new authors.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Just gonna admit to being a little bit of an idiot...how do I put the book cover in the post? Thanks!

message 8: by K (last edited Jan 04, 2013 06:21AM) (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Hi Samantha - is your book listed on Goodreads if so hit the add book/author tag above the comment box and type in the book title, at the bottom of the box it lets you choose whether you put a link or the cover picture.

Alternatively, if you've got the cover as a picture, you could up load it to a site such as photobucket and then use the html code given under (some html is ok) above, to paste it in.

Hope this helps
(though I am sure someone will be along with much clearer instructions in a bit!)

message 9: by Kaje (last edited Jan 04, 2013 07:12AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments K is correct. PM me if that's not clear enough. (Be aware that the "add book/author" adds the info at the bottom of your post, even if your cursor is somewhere in the middle. You may have to go down to the bottom of your page and copy-paste it where you want it.)

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Boyette | 53 comments Thanks, that explains it!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Tilson | 1 comments What website do you go to, to see the books you can read for free?

message 12: by Kaje (last edited Dec 11, 2013 07:46PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Kim wrote: "What website do you go to, to see the books you can read for free?"

Check the other threads in this Read-to-Review folder - they list the books we have being offered. If one of them appeals to you, post on that thread, and the author should contact you to arrange to get you a copy. If you look, you'll see threads for "Beneath Angel Wings", "Bear Naked", "Witchell: A Symphony", "Unreachable" and so on - I think we have about a dozen books listed here. The threads should have blurbs and information about each story. Let me know if you have other questions.

message 13: by Kaje (last edited Jun 24, 2015 06:50AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments This thread is for questions and comments only. Books on offer should have their own separate thread.

message 14: by Reed (new)

Reed (sapphirequeen96) | 32 comments so are the books in the read to review folder that were posted months ago or even a year ago still up for review?

message 15: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Reed wrote: "so are the books in the read to review folder that were posted months ago or even a year ago still up for review?"

If it looks like there are still copies left, you could PM the authors (or post on the thread) and see. Some authors might still welcome reviews. Others may have more recent books they want to promo.

I haven't policed this folder much - the hope was that authors would close a thread that was done with.

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria Delgado | 2 comments Very interesting proposition. I will be checking through here!

message 17: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Musawale (fictionist) | 4 comments I'm not sure whether my book would be appropriate now. Should I tag for content warning or not post it? It has explicit sex scenes.

message 18: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Musawale (fictionist) | 4 comments I'm gonna post, put up content warnings and if it's prohibited just let me know and I will take it down.

message 19: by Kaje (last edited Sep 04, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Annemarie wrote: "I'm gonna post, put up content warnings and if it's prohibited just let me know and I will take it down."

You can have some on-page sex in a YA book, as plot content, but if the scenes are erotic, if there is description of body parts or physical sensations that are intended or likely to arouse, if the focus is on sensations, that's not okay for the group. If you checked the "18+ material" button on AZ or other self-pub, then it's not appropriate for the group.

message 20: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Musawale (fictionist) | 4 comments It's not erotica if that's what you mean. It's just sex like a plot point.

message 21: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments The description above is as clear as I can manage. If it passes that description, then it should be fine with a content warning.

message 22: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilygblunt) | 7 comments Title: In Case You Missed It by S.M. James

Cover: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Number of copies available: 20

Formats available: Epub, Mobi, PDF

Word count or pages: 98 000 words/400 pages

Blurb:
He measured his life in breaths, until Darien took his breath away.
Brooks is convinced his life is totally, one hundred percent happy.

Until Darien tracks him down.

Darien was supposed to be the guy he kissed once and remembered forever, but now he’s back in Brooks’s life, with easy smiles and big ideas.

The first of which … show the homeschooled Brooks everything he’s missed out on. But as the pair work through a spring of playing catch up on life, it becomes obvious to Darien that Brooks has a secret.

And as things heat up between them, Brooks’s secret might just be Darien’s worst fear.

Because Darien has always lived in the moment.

But Brooks has always lived for the future he knows is inevitable.

When life is set to tear them apart, will love be enough to keep them together?

**any content warnings: 1-2 flames - heavy make out/fade to black
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 99 comments Hey Lily, I would be interested in reading this! You can message me on here and I can give you me email address :)

message 24: by Matt (new)

Matt Miller | 2 comments I would be interested in reading and reviewing this...

message 25: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilygblunt) | 7 comments Matt wrote: "I would be interested in reading and reviewing this..."

Please message me your email address and the format you'd like. Thank you.

message 26: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Lily wrote: "Title: In Case You Missed It by S.M. James

Formats available: Epub, Mobi, PDF

Word count..."

Please make a new thread for this book as listed above (you could just copy-paste the info from your message which is complete.) Each book should have a separate thread. If you don't know how and the instructions above aren't clear let me know.

message 27: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilygblunt) | 7 comments Kaje wrote: "Lily wrote: "Title: In Case You Missed It by S.M. James

Formats available: Epub, Mobi, PD..."

I thought I had. How do I do that?

message 28: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16569 comments Lily wrote: "Kaje wrote: "Lily wrote: "Title: In Case You Missed It by S.M. James
How do I do that?.."

Sorry it wasn't clear. I have added spacing and info in the directions above to make it clearer so hopefully that will help others.

Click on the folder name "Read-to-Review" - this will bring up the list of all the book threads. In the top right above the list of book threads click on "new topic".

This will bring up a new topic thread for you.

Title it with something about the book you are offering (eg. book title or some brief description - see existing threads.) Then you can copy what you had here into it because all of that was perfect.

Having each book in a separate thread keeps the volunteer readers and book info each separate, and lets me archive a thread when a book is all gone or it gets outdated.

message 29: by Marko (new)

Marko Realmonte | 22 comments Kaje wrote: "
“Directions for Authors”

For every book you are offering for review, ***begin a new topic thread in this folder.*** Do not just comment on this thread - Click on the folder name "Read-to-Revie..."

Thanks for this!

My novels are LGBTQ aimed at a YA audience and I truly appreciate getting honest feedback from the Goodreads community.

I signed up and I hope a bunch of young people will want to read a gay whodunnit and love story. (My book is: Murder at White Oak)

Sorry for the shameless plug. Thanks for doing this.

--Marko Realmonte