Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Emmajane Reads 15,000 in 2013

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Instead of doing it by number of books, I think I am going to switch my goal to 15,000 pages so that I am not turned off by a book's page number. I'll try it for a while and see how it goes.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments That makes sense. A 1000+ page book should not count the same as a 200 page book.

message 3: by Blaine (new)

Blaine Latham | 49 comments This is a really good idea!!!

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Thanks guys! I just need to do something different.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 1. Fat, Sick &Nearly Dead by Joe Cross
4 stars
A great book about juicing and health. since I have fibromyalgia I think I'll give it a try.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 2. Beating the Blues
3 stars
Horrible writing but good tips.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 173+184= 357
2 short books but that's alright. off to a good start.

message 8: by Kelani (new)

Kelani | 205 comments Good idea to set a goal on pages... definitely right, 550 PG book should get more credit than. 200 pgs

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments My thinking exactly.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 3. The 18 Rules of Happiness The 18 Rules of Happiness by Karl Moore (4 stars).
120 pages

A great short little book on being happy. It's more about being mindful as you walk through life. Recommended.
Page Total:477 (not feeling great about that, but it's still very very early).

message 11: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninaelinb) My goal is 50 books, but my main goal is to read (at least) 50 pages per day, so that makes 18,250 pages over the year. I'm reading quite a few books on kindle though and they don't always have page numbers so I think I better set up some sort of spreadsheet or something to keep track! ;)

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (deekeath) Awesome idea!

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Neens wrote: "My goal is 50 books, but my main goal is to read (at least) 50 pages per day, so that makes 18,250 pages over the year. I'm reading quite a few books on kindle though and they don't always have pag..."

That's a great goal! Since I have been remiss in my reading lately, a daily good would be a good idea. I recently purchased a kindle too and what I do for page numbers is look up the book on Goodreads and it usually shows the page number. While it may not be exact to my version, I figure it's something.

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Deanna wrote: "Awesome idea!"

Thanks!

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 4. Maids of Misfortune Maids of Misfortune (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1) by M. Louisa Locke (4 stars)
Pages: 384

Excellent historical mystery. I love the spunk of Annie!

5. Overcoming Overeating Overcoming Overeating by Jane R. Hirschmann (3.5 stars)
Pages: 285

Very good advice, a different way of looking at things.

Total Pages: 1147

message 16: by Connie (last edited Jan 17, 2013 07:15AM) (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments Neens wrote: "My goal is 50 books, but my main goal is to read (at least) 50 pages per day, so that makes 18,250 pages over the year. I'm reading quite a few books on kindle though and they don't always have pag..."

Before Kindle had page numbers on any of its ebooks I used to go on Amazon and pull up the Kindle book page for the book I was reading and if you scroll down it usually gives you the equivalent page numbers of the hard cover of the book.

Oh, & I'm also so anal that I keep a list of my books (on Kindle & actual books that I own & I add any library books I check out) and I put the page numbers next to the book title & author). What can I say - I like lists.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Connie wrote: "Neens wrote: "My goal is 50 books, but my main goal is to read (at least) 50 pages per day, so that makes 18,250 pages over the year. I'm reading quite a few books on kindle though and they don't a..."

I'm a list maker, too, so you're in good company. I used to be so fastidious with my lists and spreadsheets for books and then I met goodreads and became lazy. Checking amazon is a good idea, it's probably more accurate. I'm sure my total in the end will be way off, but as long as I come in close I'll be happy.

message 18: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments Im a list maker too! I have a humungous list of books on a microsoft word document that I would like to read. I made a little dent in it last year, but hoping to make an even bigger dent in it this year. And my challenge to myself is not to add any more books to it this year!

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Yay for list makers! I have started so many documents with books to read and mark off but then I always find some new way to do it, which inevitably leads to me having half a million unfinished lists. Goodreads has helped a lot with that, I have a nice organized list now.

message 20: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) What a cool idea. I read around 14,000 pages last year and since I'm reading a number of large books this year I might pass that.

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Rachael wrote: "What a cool idea. I read around 14,000 pages last year and since I'm reading a number of large books this year I might pass that."

I don't have any idea how many pages I read last year, so I could be totally setting myself up for failure, but we shall see! Good luck with you goal!

message 22: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninaelinb) Connie wrote: "Before Kindle had page numbers on any of its ebooks I used to go on Amazon and pull up the Kindle book page for the book I was reading and if you scroll down it usually gives you the equivalent page numbers of the hard cover of the book."

Good idea, I have been checking the page numbers on Goodreads but checking Amazon might be more accurate, not to mention quicker as I don't have to search for the exact version of the book that I'm reading. I actually just checked the page number for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I'm currently reading, and Goodreads lists it as 607. I thought that was odd, considering The Half-Blood Prince has the exact same page number. When I checked on Amazon, the page number for Deathly Hallows is listed as 784. So from now on I think I will just make a note of the page number in my spreadsheet whenever I download new books from Amazon! Thanks for the tip!! :oD

message 23: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelc94) Emma wrote: "Rachael wrote: "What a cool idea. I read around 14,000 pages last year and since I'm reading a number of large books this year I might pass that."

I don't have any idea how many pages I read last ..."

If you go to goodreads, then go to my books, then go to stats, and then switch it to page number it will give you a good estimate. Although we know goodreads page numbers aren't always accurate and it will only give you the books that you marked as read in 2012.

message 24: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninaelinb) Rachael wrote: "If you go to goodreads, then go to my books, then go to stats, and then switch it to page number it will give you a good estimate."

Thanks, that is really handy! I joined Goodreads in July 2012 so it's not working for last year, but the stats for 2013 are spot on! :oD

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Rachael wrote: "Although we know goodreads page numbers aren't always accurate."

Sometimes it can help to make sure you have your edition set to the exact one you're reading. If you do and it's still wrong, the Librarians are always there to correct and update page numbers. (Myself included, if you ever want assistance) :)

message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Tiffani wrote: "Rachael wrote: "Although we know goodreads page numbers aren't always accurate."

Sometimes it can help to make sure you have your edition set to the exact one you're reading. If you do and it's st..."

Thank you, I will remember that!

message 27: by Emma (last edited Mar 01, 2013 06:38PM) (new)

Emma | 295 comments 6.Hungry for Change: Ditch the Diets, Conquer the Cravings, and Eat Your Way to Lifelong Health Hungry for Change Ditch the Diets, Conquer the Cravings, and Eat Your Way to Lifelong Health by James Colquhoun (5 stars)

What a book! Loved the movie as well but the book really drives home the message about how bad our food is and it's only getting worse. Now, I'm not going vegetarian just yet but I find myself reading every label and being astounded at the amount of chemicals in the food I eat.
Pages: 257
Total Pages: 1,238

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Just finished Overcoming Sugar Addiction/ How I Kicked My Sugar Habit And Created A Joyful Sugar Free Life Overcoming Sugar Addiction/ How I Kicked My Sugar Habit And Created A Joyful Sugar Free Life by Karly Randolph Pitman (3.5 stars)
Pages: 219
Page Total: 1,238

A good book, not astounding, but great tips on how to be sugar free and why my brain is wired to want sugar. Some interesting things to think about, for sure.

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Not doing great on my goal, I should have read almost double what I actually have to stay on track. Hopefully my latest book will kick start me into a higher gear!

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 8. The Oxygen Diet Solution: Your Ultimate 28-Day Shape-Up Plan The Oxygen Diet Solution Your Ultimate 28-Day Shape-Up Plan by Susan M. Kleiner (5 stars)

What a great book start to finish. Awesome tips and information as well as recipes. I've made 3 already and they are fantastic!

Pages: 320
Total Pages: 1,558

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 9. 101 Muscle-Shaping Workouts & Strategies for Women by Muscle & Fitness 101 Muscle-Shaping Workouts & Strategies for Women (4 stars)

A great book again with lots of information, but the exercises are a bit more beginner oriented, although they do include ways to make it more advanced. I wouldn't normally count this kind of book but I did read it cover to cover despite the pictures.

Pages: 175
Total Pages: 1,733.

Not quite where I'd like to be but I've been reading so much online material and magazines lately that I haven't been that interested in reading fiction books. Hopefully I can get into my current Kindle book, Speaking from Among the Bones

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Just the Rules by Tosca Reno (4 stars)

Very good book, simple rules and guidelines.

pages: 128

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 10. The Eat-Clean Diet Presents Just the Rules: Tosca's Guide to Eating Right The Eat-Clean Diet Presents Just the Rules Tosca's Guide to Eating Right by Tosca Reno (4 stars)

Pages: 128

11. The Eat-Clean Diet Fast Fat Loss That Lasts Forever! by Tosca Reno The Eat-Clean Diet: Fast Fat Loss That Lasts Forever! (4 stars)

Both excellent health books that have a great advice on how to eat clean. Simple and accessible. Not a whole bunch of New Agey type stuff but things I could buy in my grocery store.

Pages: 224

Total Pages: 2085

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 12. Your Best Body Now: Look and Feel Fabulous at Any Age the Eat-Clean Way Your Best Body Now Look and Feel Fabulous at Any Age the Eat-Clean Way by Tosca Reno (4 stars)

Although this book was geared toward the 30+ crowd, I found it full of very sound advice for any age. A book I will come back to often.

Pages: 338

Total: 2,423.

Wow, not where I thought I'd be right now, but it makes sense because I haven't been reading much lately. At least not outside of magazines and online texts. Hopefully I finish Speaking From Among the Bones soon and can add that to the list. I am really enjoying it, but for some reason find myself reading it very sporadically. Must just be a slump.

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 13. Speaking from Among the Bones Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5 ) by Alan Bradley (5 stars)

As usual, a great addition to the series. What a shock at the end, though, can't wait for the next one!!! Not sure why it took me so long to get through it, but once I got to 50% I was flying through it. Great read!

pages: 378
Total Pages: 2,801

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Not sure what to read next. I have recently purchased some books from Amazon and Target and feel them looking at me every night from my shelf. Maybe something light like, Cupcakes at Carrington's by Alexandra Brown is a good place to start.

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 14. Diet Rehab: 28 Days to Finally Stop Craving the Foods That Make You Fat Diet Rehab 28 Days to Finally Stop Craving the Foods That Make You Fat by Mike Dow (4 stars)

Great book detailing how our neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine are really the reason we crave certain foods and require the "high" of food. Good read.

Pages: 336
Total Pages: 3137

safe to say I am not going to meet my goal this year of reading 15,000 pages or 50 books. so at this point, I am just going to enjoy my reading knowing that reading more if better than not reading at all.

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 15. The Fate of Mercy Alban The Fate of Mercy Alban by Wendy Webb (5 stars).

A very well written gothic mystery taking place between 1956 and 2006. Superb!

Pages: 352
Total Pages: 3,489

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 16. The Tale of Halcyon Crane The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb (4.5 stars).

Another wonderful addition to this author's collection. I can't wait for her next one!

Pages: 326
Total Pages: 3,815

Not where I want to be, but I am chugging along better lately. I feel more in the groove with the recent books I have read.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 17. The Haunting of Maddy Clare The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James (3 stars).

I thought it would be more of a ghost story, but good nonetheless.

Pages: 318
Total Pages: 4,133

message 41: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 18. The Asylum The Asylum by John Harwood (4 stars)

Wonderful storytelling. Not as great as his other books, The Seance and The Ghost Writer, but still worth the read.

Pages: 272
Total Pages: 4,405

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 19. Total Law of Attraction (3 stars)

Kind of like the Secret, but more comprehensive. I thought it was going to be very New Agey and I wouldn't like it, but it was very down to earth and actually makes a lot of sense.

Pages: 168
Total Pages: 4,573

20. Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay (4 stars).

A very good cozy mystery with a great cast of characters. I would have liked more setting description as that usually makes me feel more connected with the book, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Pages: 269
Total Pages: 4,842.

Pathetic :((

Currently reading: Buried in a Book (A Novel Idea Mystery #1) by Lucy Arlington Buried in a Book Promising so far...

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Buried in a Book (4 stars).

Very good mystery, I was so involved with the characters and setting and that's how you know it's a good cozy!

I am in no way close to catching up, but I am trying!

Pages: 294
Total Pages: 5,136

Tressed to Kill (4 stars)

Absolutely loved this cast of characters, it reminded me Steel Magnolias. The mystery was 4 stars, but the characters and writing almost made it a 5 star for me. Excellent! Can't wait to read the next one in the series.

Pages: 285
Total Pages: 5,421

Next up, A Killer Plot.

message 44: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 23. Check-out Time0 Check-out Time (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #5) by Kate Kingsbury (4.5 stars)

I absolutely love this series and the characters. I also love the setting of the hotel by the ocean, I wish I could visit.
Now to track down the 2 I missed before reading book #5 in the series...

Pages:217
Total Pages: 5,639

message 45: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Currently reading, A Drink of Deadly Wine A Drink of Deadly Wine by Kate Charles . Intriguing so far, was a recommendation from my mom.

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments 24. A Drink of Deadly Wine by Kate Charles (3 stars).

I liked the characters and the setting but the mystery itself was incredibly weak. And I sometimes forgot that I was reading a mystery at all. Intriguing at times, but not sure it's a series I will be running out to keep up with.

Pages: 320
Total Pages: 5,959

Currently reading, Murder, She Wrote: Close-Up On Murder Murder, She Wrote Close-Up On Murder by Jessica Fletcher . Always love a good Murder, She Wrote.