Start by marking “A Drink of Deadly Wine” as Want to Read:
A Drink of Deadly Wine

A Drink of Deadly Wine (Book of Psalms Mystery #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In the tradition of Martha Grimes and Elizabeth George comes a dazzling first novel about an Anglican priest who finds his brilliant future evaporating and his prestigious church position threatened when a blackmailer comes to call. When a friend of the priest's agrees to investigate, he uncovers more skeletons than he knows what to do with.
Published January 29th 2008 by Mysterious Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Drink of Deadly Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Drink of Deadly Wine

Josephine (Jo)
I really enjoyed this book. The location of Kensington Gardens in London would give the impression that it was a very ‘city’ based story. This could not be more wrong. The parish of St. Anne’s, although in the heart of the city is very tight knit and you could easily be mistaken in thinking that it is a village parish. All of the congregation gather for not only services but events like ‘village’ fetes, tea in the vicar’s garden etc. The Vicar Gabriel Neville is loved by all around him; he has a ...more
Julie Golding Page
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This mystery was not only in my favourite genre (ecclesiastical mystery) but it also featured life in the Anglican Church, with which I identify strongly because I myself am an Anglican priest. If that shared world weren't enough, the book also had compelling characters who were revealed or developed in significant ways throughout the story. And the mystery itself was interesting. Even more than that, this book had an intriguing development: this is the first book I've ever read which "starred" ...more
Helen
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this, although it might not appeal to you if you haven't encountered the spiky end of the Church of England at close quarters. (I have, in London, and at the time in which the book is set, so felt quite at home). Also it is pretty slow to begin with, and although I recognise the situation of the Vicar whose gay past comes back to haunt him I found it quite hard to believe that he would be so keen on having his former gay lover to come and stay in the parish when he is being blackmailed a ...more
Julie
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Started off slow with an introduction of too many characters but then it completely absorbed my interest. The mystery plays second fiddle to the characters and their relationships. A good lesson in how there are many loves and no love is bad, as long as it is true.
Karin Jenkins
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy to read mystery set in a high Anglican Church in London. The author does come across as a bit of a snob but nevertheless an enjoyable story.
Andrew Hixson
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Never read anything quite like this. A character driven mystery with believable situations and people. Now being a regular church goer, I recognised some of the behind the scenes politics. Loved it.
Clara  Baker Baldwin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite a story with many interesting characters. Didn’t see #2 at first glance, but hope there is one.
Valerie Andrews
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I rarely re-read books (no time)! But this series has stayed with me for years, and I thought it was time to revisit it to see if it was as good as I remembered. It was better.

British solicitor David Middleton-Brown is a single, middle-aged lawyer whose one serious love affair ended badly a decade before. The recent death of his mother has left him a bit adrift; after all, he was at her beck and call for the last 10 years of her life. So when voices from his past beckon him to London for a worki
Linda
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lawyer David Middleton-Brown is summoned to St. Anne’s church in London by its pastor, Gabriel Neville, ostensibly to advise on the restoration of one of the church’s chapels. He is also there at the behest of Gabriel because of the blackmail letters Gabriel has been receiving about his homosexual past, part of which included David. A woman found hanged in the sacristy adds to the mystery which is solved perhaps a little too neatly, but still in a satisfying manner.
Ms Kathryn Pizar
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different kind of mystery

Although it's not a crime story as such, it is different to the kind of books I usually read. Churches and religion not being my thing, I did enjoy it though. The plot was different, intriguing, and some of the characters were quite odd, well very odd in fact
George
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable mystery set in London with well developed intercharacter relationships. As the blackmailing and death mysteries are being investigated, the past and developing relationships between the central characters in both the mystery play an increasingly important role in the story line. Serving as the story background is a parish church, its congregation, and minister.
KA
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Surprisingly complex, plot-wise. Not at all, language-wise. But I loved the Psalm quotes at the beginning of each chapter - it really illustrates how all-purpose the Psalms are.

A fun vacation book.
Elderberrywine
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
A young up-and-coming Anglican priest is desperate to halt rumors of his homosexual past, and who better to call on for assistance than his former lover, jilted but still carrying a torch? Well-drawn characters, but flawed by a no-way! conclusion.
Aubrey
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of the traditional English mystery
An incredible debut entry in the Book of Psalms series. Complex and nuanced characters, plot full of twists and turns. Final resolution of the mystery was weak but the rest of it was so good, the mystery almost didn't matter.
Helen
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look into the modern Church of England, of which some portions are more Catholic in their traditions and practices than modern day Roman Catholics. A tidy mystery of church politics and dirty personal laundry.
Babete
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Um enredo muito bom!( Um Vinho Atordoante )
ChrisGA
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I had aa hard time4e getting into this one. If I didn't need it for several challenges I would have quit a third of the way through. However,it did pick up. Interesting ending
Paula Calhau Silvestre
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: policial
Um vinho Atordoante
Circulo Leitores
Marianne
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting books. Learn a lot about worship style, Church of England behind the scene government.
Julia Walker
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
fun read, quick and easy
Edana Cichanowicz
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loving this series!
Cindy
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a very light read and wonderful! There is a background of the Church of England to ass interest to the mystery.
Liedie
Nov 13, 2017
Bev
Nov 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Orchestrated Death (Bill Slider #1)
  • A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy, #2)
  • Death of a Dormouse
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • Death and the Chaste Apprentice (Charlie Peace, #1)
  • Smallbone Deceased (Inspector Hazelrigg, #4)
  • The Sleeping and the Dead
  • The Labyrinth Makers
  • The Past and Other Lies
  • Never Pick up Hitch-hikers!
  • Not My Blood (Joe Sandilands #10)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • Blotto, Twinks and the Dead Dowager Duchess (Blotto and Twinks, #2)
  • The Herring in the Library
  • This Private Plot (Oliver Swithin, #3)
  • A Scream in Soho
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)

Book of Psalms Mystery (5 books)
  • The Snares of Death
  • Appointed to Die
  • A Dead Man Out of Mind
  • Evil Angels Among Them

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
  • Depth of Lies
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide Mystery #1)
  • Gone South
  • We Could Be Beautiful
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Outliers
  • All the Little Children
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Exhume (Dr. Schwartzman, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ape Who Guards the Balance (Amelia Peabody #10)
    $8.99 $1.99