It It discussion

Anyone else's favourite book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mat (last edited Sep 09, 2014 02:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mat My parents' generation never got over Lord of the Rings, but for me this has to be my favourite book of all time. I've read it 7 times now and each time it surprises and delights me. I stopped in Bangor (the real Derry) on a US holiday to see the standpipe, the barrens and Paul Bunyan.

I even liked the movie (spider aside) and can forgive the few errors that snuck through the editing process into the final version of the novel.

Anyone else feel the same way?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This isn't just my favorite Horror book. Its my all time favorite book PERIOD. There are no words to describe how much I love this book. :)

Wow the level of your coolness must be through the roof. Just for the fact that you love this book so much.

Grace P.R. Best Stephen King Novel!

Mat Definitely my favourite all time book and all time horror book!

William Harlan jaysus christ!

Mat Officer Nell!

Abigail Favorite book of all time tied with the Shining. Both of them are utterly amazing.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Abigail wrote: "Favorite book of all time tied with the Shining. Both of them are utterly amazing."

You have THE greatest taste, in books.

Richard Not my favourite book, but certainly my favourite Stephen King book, and probably favourite horror as well. Good call. :)

Maryam Angela wrote: "Abigail wrote: "Favorite book of all time tied with the Shining. Both of them are utterly amazing."

You have THE greatest taste, in books."

I completely agree! I can't say I have a favourite book but those two most definitely ranks among the top.

Mat I love The Shining too. The Dead Zone would also be up there. But It is just something I'll come back to again and again.

IUHoosier It is my favorite King, followed by The Eyes of the Dragon, and The Stand. I loved early King. Gave up on him in the 90s, though, when I lost interest in his plotting. I've heard some of his recent ones are pretty good but haven't tried any yet. Anyone have a recent favorite that I should start with? My last King book would've been Gerald's Game, I think - everything before then I've read.

Karen So love this book!

message 14: by Holly (last edited Jan 04, 2013 09:36AM) (new)

Holly IUHoosier wrote: "It is my favorite King, followed by The Eyes of the Dragon, and The Stand. I loved early King. Gave up on him in the 90s, though, when I lost interest in his plotting. I've heard some of his rec..."

Wow, same story here....Gerald's Game was the book that made me give up on King (although I have read a couple of his short story collections since then) That book seemed like one long episode of Dr Phil, with one tiny little creep-out thrown in rather gratuitously at the end.

I have to say that "It" and "The Stand" are my two favorite King novels......love the premise for both. SK really did a fab job taking on the horror archetype of the shape-shifter; his monster was truly formidable in it's ability to take the form of whatever scared a person most, and then feed on it's victim's fear-soaked flesh.

Maryam IUHoosier wrote: "It is my favorite King, followed by The Eyes of the Dragon, and The Stand. I loved early King. Gave up on him in the 90s, though, when I lost interest in his plotting. I've heard some of his rec..."

You could try 11/22/63. I personally loved it. Definitely ranked near the top for me. There's also Under the Dome but I found that on a bit on the slow side :)

Mat 11/22/63 is a part sequel to IT at the start and I really enjoyed it. But all the stuff in the middle with the dancing was slow going.

message 17: by Ilya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ilya Zverev That was the very first book I read in English language! Boy was it difficult, but well worth it! Despite the fact that now, several years later, this begemoth of a book does not seem that perfect as it did then, I still reread some chapters of it every couple of months.

Scott Starkey I loved the first 100 pages especially.

message 19: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Brewer I loved the book. The move also follows along with the book well (The movie is missing a lot of stuff from the book but it still lines up, there is no way they could have put the whole book in the movie its long enough as it is). Would have been better if the made two or three movies to cover everything in the book.

Simon It was my favourite King book until I read Insomnia :)

message 21: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Phelan IT was definitely my favorite Stephen King Novel, although I share the same sentiment as some that it was ALMOST the perfect novel except for the Spider with the deadlights in the end. Pennywise is everything that makes kids afraid of clowns and more! I also thought the scene near the end with the kids in the sewer was distasteful and unnecessary to the overall story.
I, like some others in this thread, loved all his early work both novels and short stories -some of the best I've ever read in any genre and It was at the top of the list.
I haven't read a Stephen King novel since the 90's. I did recently read his short story complitation Everythings Eventual. Like most it had some great stories and some that seemed too drawn out as some King stories can seem.
I still pick Night Shift and Skeleton Crew off my shelf and relive some of those stories. Amazing!

Stepheny YUP!
My "favorite-non-dark-tower-stephen-king" book! LOL Sorry I read way too much to every TRULY pick a favorite! What an incredible read. Loved seeing the characters get brought back into 11/22/63 too! That made my day! :) There are aspects in this book that really made me question what drugs SK was on while he was writing- Bev and the guys doing the deed in the sewer? C'mon SK! They were what-9?! Seriously. Other than THAT I think the book was great. I loved how it was written and I love the overall themes of friendship, loyalty, bravery, facing adversity, the magic of our youth. I try to just ignore that scene in the sewers. LOL BUT if anyone reading this truly loves this book and wants a really creepy-listen to it on audio! The performance is BONE CHILLINGLY accurate! I have read it twice and listened to it on audio....like I said, I absolutely LOVE this book(minus the drug-induced weird sewer scene).

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Rich wrote: "IT was definitely my favorite Stephen King Novel, although I share the same sentiment as some that it was ALMOST the perfect novel except for the Spider with the deadlights in the end. Pennywise i..."

The boogyman is my favorite short story.

Tommy Downes I would say it is my favorite non Darktower SK book as well. It seems SK fans either pick this or The Stand as their favorite. I liked the Stand but felt that IT was a far superior book. Although I have never attempted to read either book twice. I might go back and do so one day but I always have a hard time doing that. I would rather read a book I never read before instead of reading a 1200 page book again.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Tommy wrote: "I would say it is my favorite non Darktower SK book as well. It seems SK fans either pick this or The Stand as their favorite. I liked the Stand but felt that IT was a far superior book. Although I..."

IT is only 1090 pages paperback.

message 26: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Phelan Angela wrote: "Rich wrote: "IT was definitely my favorite Stephen King Novel, although I share the same sentiment as some that it was ALMOST the perfect novel except for the Spider with the deadlights in the end...."

I re-read bogeyman a couple month ago. I agree with you. I do love it. You don't see the ending coming and I love that about any story.
I'll say The Monkey from Skeleton Crew is my favorite short story of all time, in any genre. I don't know what it is about that story, I just love it. I can hear the symbols in my mind and it sends a chill down my spine.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Rich wrote: "Angela wrote: "Rich wrote: "IT was definitely my favorite Stephen King Novel, although I share the same sentiment as some that it was ALMOST the perfect novel except for the Spider with the deadli..."

Yes. Its very scary. Did you know that there was an "X files" episode that was based on "The Monkey" adapted by King himself?
I forget the name of the specific episode. It involved dolls instead of a monkey. Very scary.

message 28: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Phelan Angela wrote: "Rich wrote: "Angela wrote: "Rich wrote: "IT was definitely my favorite Stephen King Novel, although I share the same sentiment as some that it was ALMOST the perfect novel except for the Spider wi..."

I did not know that and I've seen my share of X-files (although I'm not one of the die hard fans). I'm going to try and find that episode. I'd love to watch it.

Tommy Downes Yup its the 10th episode of Season 5. Its called "Chinga". I only know this because I've been rewatching that series on Netflix recently.

Licha Depite the let-down ending, this is my favorite SK book and at the top of my list of all-time favorite books ever.

message 31: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Phelan Tommy wrote: "Yup its the 10th episode of Season 5. Its called "Chinga". I only know this because I've been rewatching that series on Netflix recently."

Tommy,

Thanks. I've got Netflix so I'm going to look it up.

Sadie Forsythe I guess I'm in the minority here...or at least of those who chose to post. I love early Stephen king. The Stand is one of my all time favourites and The Gunslinger is up there too. But IT...nope that is pretty far down my list, under Carrie, The Dead Zone,even Needful Things and Christine.

Tommy Downes Sadie wrote: "I guess I'm in the minority here...or at least of those who chose to post. I love early Stephen king. The Stand is one of my all time favourites and The Gunslinger is up there too. But IT...nope th..."

Sadie, I would hope you are in the minority but at the same time its your opinion and I like to try and think outside of the box whenever I can so I commend you for that.

With that being said, I did previously say that I don't add the Dark Tower series when I say IT is my favorite SK book, so I will agree with you that The Gunslinger is one of the best books I have ever read.

As far as the others I can't agree. I liked Needful Things but the rest that you mention wouldn't make my top ten. But that is why they are opinions. Everyone has them. Long days and pleasant nights :)

Damon Tommyknockers was my favorite King book, but IT was very scary! Right up there with my favorites. the TV movie was stupid, though.

message 35: by Harv (new)

Harv Griffin I love King's style of writing; the way he puts words together to spark images in my mind. But I don't like the images my mind receives. He scares me! I don't like to be frightened when I am reading. That's just me. @hg47

William Harlan The first time I tried to read The Shining, I was 23. I believed in ghosts a little. I got to the part with the woman in the bathtub and put that book away for 10 years. At 33, believing in nothing anymore, I picked it back up and it didn't scare me at all. So there, Stephen King.

Daniel Myers This is the book that got me started on horror, it is FA-NOMINAL all time favorite horror novel :)

$$$taco Marco Ramdas taco$$$ it was great and all, but it could be a lot scarier. );

Andee THIS BOOK. Not only was I afraid to sleep for two weeks and am still a little sketched out to look into drains, the characters in this book are so wonderful and King develops them so well I felt at the end of the book like they were my real life friends, and I had experienced this all with them too. I read this over two years ago and I have yet to find a book that's as good.

message 40: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan I'm constantly going back and forth between this and Salems Lot for my favorite. AGHHH, still can't decide. Right now I'll say IT (only because I finished rereading for like the 5th time last night. Ask me next week if I decide to reread Salems Lot again, lol).

message 41: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Mann IT was great right up until that thing at the end......you all know what I mean.

Dwayne Fry John wrote: "IT was great right up until that thing at the end......you all know what I mean."

Agreed. Entirely too long for such a slop-job ending. I read it twenty-some years ago and haven't been brave enough to pick up another Stephen King book. I was that disappointed in the ending.

Jennie This is my favourite Stephen King as well, closely followed by The Shining and The Tommyknockers.

Sheila It, The Stand & Salem's Lot are my favourite novels ever. I've read all of them lots of times & I will again. I think if you want to reread a book even when you know the ending & with all the new books out there waiting to be be discovered it shows how good it really is.

Papaphilly Not my favorite book, nor Stephen King book either, but I enjoyed this very much and the idea of a clown as the bad guy is truly creepy and a stroke of genius.

message 46: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike Salem's Lot was written before the Vampire craze of today. This is still one of my favorites, even though this was one of his first books with so many more to come. I enjoyed one of his recent, Joyland because it was very different for Stephen King.

message 47: by Don (new) - rated it 5 stars

Don Massenzio This is one book that literally scared me as I was reading it. I read it as a 20-something adult and was somewhat embarrassed that I didn't want to turn off the light after reading it. The imagery and descriptive narrative allows you to imagine things much worse than could ever be visualized on film.

Brooklyn Ann IT definitley is my favorite book of all time. I've read IT 12 times. :)

message 49: by Josh (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josh Hawkins Jennie wrote: "This is my favourite Stephen King as well, closely followed by The Shining and The Tommyknockers."

Finally some love for The Tommyknockers! IT is absolutely my favorite novel by any writer. Read it multiple times, starting when I was in high school.

Carrie Josh wrote: "Jennie wrote: "This is my favourite Stephen King as well, closely followed by The Shining and The Tommyknockers."

Finally some love for The Tommyknockers! IT is absolutely my favorite novel by a..."

Tommyknockers was the 1 st SK book that I read. It's a 5 star for me bc it turned me into a fan. I love It too of course. Great freakin book. I also really liked the shorts collection Full Dark, No Stars. Dark indeed....read it,some good stuff in there,

« previous 1