Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) Clockwork Angel discussion

Having trouble reading because Will reminds you of Jace? See this spoiler and your problems will be solved!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I know critics have TMI will have trouble with the Jace/Will similarities. So view spoiler below
Will is not a jerk like Jace.
Will is cursed so that everyone who loves him will die, so he has to act like a selfish immature jerk or else the people who he loves will love him back AND THEY WILL DIE.
Will is actualy a good guy. You just don't find out until the 2nd book and I figured ppl will get fed up with him b4 they find out the truth, especialy if said ppl hated Jace.

*~*~~*~reading~**~till~**~forever*~~*~* Actually Jace isn't a jerk. He is being a jerk, but that's just his way of coping. He thought he saw his father being murdered in front of his eyes, he didn't know anything about his mother and even though the Lightwoods adopted him, it wasn't the same.... So NO, Jace is NOT a jerk!!!!!!!

message 3: by Tiffany (last edited Dec 31, 2012 01:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tiffany Agreed, Jace is not a jerk. Will is also not a jerk. If people reading these books dont like them because they think Jace or Will are jerks, then these books are just not for them ...

Kathy M Jace is not a jerk girls!! He is awesome and lovely and he loves Clary though he found out that she is his sister... he doesn't look like Will at all... and besides Will is a boy who can be easily loved :D just like Jace. I love them both <3

*~*~~*~reading~**~till~**~forever*~~*~* The Herondales boys <3 what's not to love???

Sophie I think that the only reason someone would think Jace & Will are jerks because they either don't undertsand the story/characters, or they don't want to. Next time you read the book(s), look at the motivations behind the characters and you will understand how truly awesome they are. :)

ChameleonRose (Jessica) How anyone could hate either of them is beyond me.

BookDeliria (Dia) I dont hate them. But Will does have an excuse to act like he was and he changed in the second book. Jace has different irrational reasons for acting the way he is. Some.

kayt Tiffany wrote: "Agreed, Jace is not a jerk. Will is also not a jerk. If people reading these books dont like them because they think Jace or Will are jerks, then these books are just not for them ..."

amen!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I apologize to everyone in the universe, but I respectfully disagree with you.
I know that Jace has had a diificult life. And I know that his life would cause most people to be messed up. However, I cannot overlook the fact that he is mean.
I do not think that having a screwed up life entitles anyone to have constant bad behavior. He lived in a good home for the past 7 years. In that home he was taught the difference between right and wrong. I feel that people overlook this fact and say 'He's sad, it's okay that he's a jerk'
It's fine that you like him, I just wanted to explain why I don't.

message 11: by kayt (new) - rated it 5 stars

kayt honestly, how the hell do you 'not like' Jace? He is crazy sexy, loving, sarcastic, hilarious, and just an amazing person. He will do anything to keep Clary safe, he loves her more than anything else in the world. And yes, because he had a screwed up life does entitle him to bad behaviour. When people have bad lives, traumatizing moments, then they are going to be unhappy for a very long time. It doesn't matter if he lived in a good home for the past 7 years. He honestly thought his own father was murdered right in front of his eyes. If that happened to you, would you ever be normal again? Jace said that he saw his father's blood pool around his feet. So, yes. That is exactly why he is a 'jerk'. Jace is an amazing person and although he is just a book character I feel obligated to stand up for him. Jace is anything but a jerk, he is one of the most caring, protective, amazing people ever.

message 12: by Inês (last edited Jan 04, 2013 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Inês yes jace is not a jeerk THAST WHY I'VE ALWAYS SAID that jem would be one of the ancestors of jace, but then Jem dies, Will give his name to the son/daughter of jemxTessa his last name and so on... BUT NOW I GOT CONFUSED...

But jace is not a jerk, Jace acts like a jerk, and will ACTED like a jerk because (you'll know if you read the Clock work prince) so MAYBE my first teory was wrong.... but i still like to think that it is Jem that stays with Tessa

Jacs acts like a jerk because he doesn't want people to see is vulnurable side, (this is what i think about, but i need to reread the all story to undeerstand better, since i forgot some things) But Jace is a really nice guy, HE CARES FOR Clary, even if you see him as an arrogant person and so on...

Still i agree with the part that Breanna said... He lived in a good hands and still act like arrogant people but i still think that is a reason very good for that.. i'm not sure, i forgot some things from the later books of mortal instruments and i will reread it

I didn't like very much of Will because i thought that he was a great jerk, he mistreat every one and so on but then i read CP and i felt pitty for him and i've started to understand him and he got better

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Chloe wrote: "I lov them both and jace is not a jerk and.... they both hate ducks lol"

I always wondered- Why do they hate ducks?

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2013 10:17PM) (new)

Kaytlyn wrote: "honestly, how the hell do you 'not like' Jace?
I said I respectfully disagree. I didn't go around swearing at people and ordered them to agree with me. That would be you. I was just stating my reasons for not liking him. And it would be okay if you just stated why you don't agree with me, but there was no reason for you to get nasty and tell me I have no right to my own opinion.

Rachel I LOVEJACE

Steffi Breanna wrote: "I apologize to everyone in the universe, but I respectfully disagree with you.
I know that Jace has had a diificult life. And I know that his life would cause most people to be messed up. However, ..."

I agree with you that just because someone had a bad live isn't an excuse for bad behavior. Of course it is understandable that they are messed up and so but it doesn't make being mean and other things okay.

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict i think Will doesn't like ducks because he was attacked by one when he was young and as for jace, it say that he doesn't really know why, he just always have. maybe its genetics

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict Chloe wrote: "Breanna wrote: "I apologize to everyone in the universe, but I respectfully disagree with you.
I know that Jace has had a diificult life. And I know that his life would cause most people to be mess..."

Jace isnt mean. i dont really get why people are saying he is. and YES he has had a troubled childhood and he has certain belifs like 'love is to destroy' but i dont see the evidence that everyone is talking to that proves he's mean. the reason he is sarcastic and stuff is because he is trying to hide what he is really feeling inside. it even says it in the books, mulpile times. he is actually a decent person when you think about it. WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE? i mean besides to confrontation between clary and jace in city of glass when he shouts at her when he learns she came to idris. WHERE IS IT? CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE IN THE BOOK!. BTW, i'm not telling anyone off your anything, i'm just trying to understand
As for Will, he IS mean, but he does have a reason like Chloe said

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict it's definetely in the books somewhere. and i agree, if its the snark comments and sarcasm that makes the books what it they are and that is awesome
it's not like he's killed his own pets or is killing puppies and kittens. he isnt calling people names or anything. he isnt spreading rumours of stuff like that. also jace doesnt lie, he tells people to cold-hearted truth even if they cant bear to hear it (that's also said in the books - first one)

message 20: by Jada (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jada Harrison Let me tell ya'll something, I was in foster care for 7 years so I can understand Jace's problem,I can relate .He is just trying to hide what he feels inside,I've done it too,me and him share that.We are afraid that after we get too attached to a person,then that person will hurt us one way or another.So Jace is not mean.
As for Will,he is not mean,he saw his family be killed and was afraid that the curse was true and that if ppl loved him then they will die.
But the ways of Will and Jace is what makes the books awesome.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 08, 2013 04:48PM) (new)

Breanna wrote: "I apologize to everyone in the universe, but I respectfully disagree with you.
I know that Jace has had a diificult life. And I know that his life would cause most people to be messed up. However, ..."

just to clarify, when was he ever mean? actually? he was mean to clary a bit in 2 and 3 but that was because he was trying to treat her like a sister. and i think we all can understand that sometimes people treat their siblings worse than their friends. he was "mean" to alec too when he told alec he could kiss him in COG but actually, that helped alec a lot and that is why jace did it. i don't remember a time he was "mean". if you can't handle sarcasm, this book is probably not for you. will and jace are two very different people with very different motives. i can understand how, on the surface, they can come across as similar, but really reading the books and paying attention show us that they are both distinct characters. hope this helped. and i actually do want to know if i am forgetting a time he was mean. so answer. :D

edit: i actually find will to be meaner than jace. but he had his reasons too... :)

message 22: by Rea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rea I would think Will is a lot better than Jace. Will has some serious reasons for his attitude because its a matter of life and death. Jace, however, I find him quite practically immature(I often find the characters in TID better than in TMI though TMI has better twists and more fast paced). If its Jace's being mean is his defense mechanism or how he copes up with his past experience, it doesn't excuse him from being mean. If he gets nasty sometimes and say mean things to other people, he still is mean and there's no changing to that fact although he has some reasons for being so. Liking him for his hotness or whatever good things he possess doesn't cancel out another trait because one person can be both hot and mean. I fully agree to Breanna's statement "I do not think that having a screwed up life entitles anyone to have constant bad behavior." Some people can manage traumatic experiences in a different and better way. But people are not the same and that's his own way. Understanding his feelings doesn't make him less mean BUT makes you overlook his meanness and rather look at his good side for we all possess that side in us.

message 23: by Nurlely (last edited Jan 08, 2013 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely Jace is mean? I can't help but laugh.
Jace is smart, wit and sarcastic. He is trying to get to live in this world after his 'father' (one who beat him and taught him that to love is to destroy) was murdered in front of him, and sent under the Lightwoods' wings by mere obligation, not by compassion.
Maryse can not pass the test as a caring mother for Jace. Despite the feeling she claimed to have shared for Jace, she was left to take care of Jace because of the clave. And I didn't get the feeling that Robert is close to his children. Valentine would not be the only person who remained a father to Jace if Robert gave Jace his fatherly love.

And Will?.... anyone who considers Will is mean is readers who read Clockwork Angel only and not so interested in reading the whole the series.

Margarita Breanna wrote: "I know critics have TMI will have trouble with the Jace/Will similarities. So view spoiler below
Will is not a jerk like Jace.
Will is cursed so that everyone who loves him will die, so he has to a..."

in my understanding, WIll isn't cursed. He thought he was but he finds out that he's not. That's the reason he rejects Tessa like all the time.

message 25: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Even though I know that Will isn't cursed, he still seems really similar to Jace (although I hate Clary as well). It will be interesting to see how he acts now that he knows he can be loved. Will and Jace still seem really alike-possibly because Clare confirmed that they're related.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Cara wrote: "Even though I know that Will isn't cursed, he still seems really similar to Jace (although I hate Clary as well). It will be interesting to see how he acts now that he knows he can be loved. Will a..."

i am sorry. i know this is sort of mean. but are you anything like you ancestors from 120 years ago? probably not. and this is not aimed at you anymore, but i think people see hot-witty-sarcastic-defensive in a guy and that is ALL they see. because while both characters are those things, they are more than that. i'm sorry if this was rude. i just really REALLY hate that argument and i have seen it WAY too many times.