City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion


1010 views
maybe an odd question, but- do christians like these books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kirby I was just thinking about all the uproar from some christians over the harry potter books back in the day, and how it seems that these books could be considered even more "demonic" or what have you...so, are there any christians out there that love or hate these books?


Kirby ah, thank you for answering my strange question! :)

did you ever hear about the people who got so angry about the harry potter books?


Olena yeah I heard about it


message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm christian and I personally hated these books, but I don't think that was because of my faith. Rather I think the style, plot and characters just didn't appeal to me.


message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I'm also a Christian and I love reading urban fantasy (the Mortal Insturments is one of my favorites). Sadly, my dad was one of those crazy people that freaked out over the HP series :/
He (and those with similar mindsets) do not understand the term "allegory," and the concept that just because a work of fiction contains magic, fantastical/supernatural elements does not make it Satanic.


Audrey i am a christian too. and i love all sorts of fantasy books.
there are a lot of reasons some Christians dont like this sort of thing. but as long as people realize that its not real there is nothing wrong with fantasy books.
i was reading the hobbit and one of my christian friends saw it and said "you know thats devil worship right." thats just stupid
lots of Christians like mortal instruments, harry potter, lord of the rings, ect.


message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Audrey wrote: "i am a christian too. and i love all sorts of fantasy books.
there are a lot of reasons some Christians dont like this sort of thing. but as long as people realize that its not real there is nothin..."


Your friends should know that J. R. R. Tolkien was a CHRISTIAN and actually helped to convert C. S. Lewis. Tolkien's works are filled with allusions to the Bible.


Sophie I am a Catholic, and I love YA Paranormal/Fantasy, especially stuff like MI and ID. I think it's just that some people, especially the older generations, don't quite look at it in the same perspective. We lovers of fantasy think of it as
"Yes, we know all of this is fake and imagined but we take enjoyment from imagining a world different to our own,"

Whereas the people who oppose it think of it as,

"This is all imagined! Why would anyone read/watch this? It is offensive in such a way because we know none of this is real. Demons? Angels? Faeries? Pish-posh!"

:)


Mika I'm a Christian and I personally don't like the mortal instruments books but it's not because of my faith I just don't like the characters or the plot as much as I did in the beginning. However my favorite ya series is the harry potter books and I loved the inheritance cycle.


Kathy M I am Christian and I read fictional books alot... And I read adult books too about demons and Lucifer and stuff like that... examples: Lucifer's Daughter (Princess of Hell, #1) by Eve Langlais Snowballs in Hell (Princess of Hell, #2) by Eve Langlais Hell's Revenge (Princess of Hell, #3) by Eve Langlais Date with Death by Eve Langlais A Demon and His Witch (Welcome to Hell, #1) by Eve Langlais Wickedest Witch by Eve Langlais Dating Cupid by Eve Langlais A Demon and His Psycho (Welcome to Hell, #2) by Eve Langlais Last Minion Standing by Eve Langlais Taming Her Wolf by Eve Langlais A Ghostly Ménage by Eve Langlais and I just loved them :D
It's 2013 dammit not 1955 :)


message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I am a Christian, and LOVED these books!! My sister is a Christian and is going to start reading them. We are nondenominational, so we are not catholic or baptist or any other religion, just Christian. Certain books, Rapture (The Fallen Series) i disliked how "She" or 'God" came down and just what she did with Luce and Daniel that i was a little, uncomfortable about.


message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Sophie wrote: "I am a Catholic, and I love YA Paranormal/Fantasy, especially stuff like MI and ID. I think it's just that some people, especially the older generations, don't quite look at it in the same perspect..."

i agree! Like my mom, this series might not sit as well with her. but the younger generations, i feel are alot more liberal about these types of things. Which makes them no less Christian.


message 13: by Mika (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mika I think the reason why I'm okay with reading these works of fiction that have angels and stuff like that is because I've noticed in a lot of them that God as Himself is rarely in it, and things are so contrary as to how things actually are that it's easy to see it as fiction so it doesn't bother me. I remember reading mists of avalon and that book bothered me it talked about God and chistianity head on but it would bash them for no reason. I understand that during that supposed time period christians would have been completely against "witchcraft" but to spend paragraph after paragraph bashing God that in no way furthered the plot was annoying. But yea I think that's the only time I've put a book down because I felt that it was offensive.


Michaela I'm a Christian and this is probably my favorite series of books I've ever read. And I can't wait until the movie comes out. I am soooooooooo excited for it. I hope that there are more books in the series and I wish theat Jace and Clary were real, and that I was Clary and Jace was my boyfriend. So YES, I'm a Christian and I ADORE this series.


 Danielle The Book Huntress I am Christian. I loved the book and I read lots of fantasy and paranormal romance. I tend to be more reluctant to read stuff that is preachy about paganism, but as long as it doesn't overtly promote that as a belief system, I am fine reading a lot of fantasy, supernatural and paranormal stuff.


Jordan I am a Christian, but I am not like HEAVILY Christian, you know? Like this book didn't bother me at all, but I so get what you are saying. Because of how Jace doesn't believe in God and how a lot of the things are from the bible. But I absolutely love this series, it is my favorite!


Amy_Read to My Heart's Content Amy wrote: "I'm also a Christian and I love reading urban fantasy (the Mortal Insturments is one of my favorites). Sadly, my dad was one of those crazy people that freaked out over the HP series :/
He (and th..."

That was stated perfectly. I applaud you! I am also a christian (not hardcore ) but fantasy is one of my favorite genres.


message 18: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna My friends and I are Catholic and we absolutely love these books. The reader just has to realize that it is fiction and its just a story to entertain. I don't focus so much on the demons as the story and plot. Although there are some things that make me uncomfortable and I don't agree with. Like how Alec is gay.


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Jordan wrote: "I am a Christian, but I am not like HEAVILY Christian, you know? Like this book didn't bother me at all, but I so get what you are saying. Because of how Jace doesn't believe in God and how a lot o..."

Jace was an atheist?
Weird......I could've sworn he was Muslim, or at least a Vegetarian.


message 20: by Mish (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mish Well my friends and I are Christians and we have all read these books and love them. We all read fantasy YA type books. It doesn't bother us because we know its not real we just love the stories


Crystal Folds As long as you can separate fantasy from reality, you can enjoy many things. I am a devote Christian and I enjoy these books. That doesn't mean that I agree with some of the issues that are addressed in them, but that doesn't make me dislike them. On a whole, I enjoy the characters and the storyline.


Jackie Castle I'm also a Christian and love fantasy book. I've read all the Potter, Twilight and Mortal Instrument books. I do get some flack from fellow Christians, but not much. I always tell them they have to choose for themselves. If a book bothers you, don't read it. Simple.
John Eldredge writes that these stories (myth/fantasy) have a way of speaking deep truths to us and that's why people are drawn to them. Interesting. I just like imaginative stories. =)


Jordan Mme. Catherine le Ninja Coréen wrote: "Jordan wrote: "I am a Christian, but I am not like HEAVILY Christian, you know? Like this book didn't bother me at all, but I so get what you are saying. Because of how Jace doesn't believe in God ..."

Yeah, he was an atheist


Crystal Folds Jackie wrote: "I'm also a Christian and love fantasy book. I've read all the Potter, Twilight and Mortal Instrument books. I do get some flack from fellow Christians, but not much. I always tell them they have to..."

Well said.


Sarah I'm a christian and all i read are books like this. I can't and refuse to read any other style of books


message 26: by Kezia (last edited Jan 18, 2013 11:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kezia I am a Christian, but I love reading sci-fi and fantasy books. I'm okay with TMI even though I didn't love it that much because of the plot and etc. But my dad is a super religious Christian that he doesn't allow me to read Harry Potter. He even freaks out about Narnia, even though it has something related with Christianity.
That's why I have never read or watch Harry Potter and Twilight.
Actually, I think the only fantasy/supernatural series I'm not allowed to read are Harry Potter and Twilight.


Marlene Ocampo I am Catholic, and I dislike the Mortal Instruments series because the characters, the writing style and the plots bore me. Personally, I never understood the Christian brouhaha over the Harry Potter series. I see Christian values and beliefs written all over those books, so why the fuss? If J.R.R. Tolkien, a man who was a deep and devout Catholic, wrote and appreciated fantasy, so should everyone!

And wow, Kezia, your dad freaks out about Narnia? Does he know that C.S. Lewis was one of the foremost Christian apologists of his day, and the whole series is symbolic of Christianity? Have him read The Great Divorce sometime, just so he can see what C.S. Lewis is like.


Kezia Eris Clara Oswald wrote: "I am Catholic, and I dislike the Mortal Instruments series because the characters, the writing style and the plots bore me. Personally, I never understood the Christian brouhaha over the Harry Pot..."

I think he doesn't know C.S. Lewis, considering the fact that I live in Indonesia...
I know it's pretty clear that Narnia is a symbolic of Chritianity. It's just the creatures that makes my dad thinks bad of it. I'm still allowed to watch the movies, though. He's more of a realistic fiction type. He likes religious movies like Flywheel or The Grace Card or Facing The Giant, etc.


Gabby I'm Catholic. But I don't believe in God. Or Jesus. Or any type of god; lets narrow it down, I didn't really get a choice. But I love these books :)


Sophie Gabby wrote: "I'm Catholic. But I don't believe in God. Or Jesus. Or any type of god; lets narrow it down, I didn't really get a choice. But I love these books :)"

Lol :)


message 31: by Ariane (last edited Jan 20, 2013 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariane Ruby Im a Christian. I love reading TMI. I read these books because of my extreme imagination...like I need to feed this everyday. Mother detests this kind of books. Now you mentioned about this, I’m now confused but I still love reading TMI. I enjoyed every character not because of their power or whatever blood they had in them (although it adds to the thrill and backbone of the story). Its the writing style and its ability to move one’s imagination. You can’t see this in the ordinary world and human in general, instinctively, are looking for special, outrageous and out-of-this-world.


message 32: by Shay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Shay I'm Christian and I don't mind the story line, but the writing for the first book was awful. I prefer the Infernal Devices.

Oh and I love Harry Potter. I never practice or try to play with witchcraft, and I don't think reading about is that big a deal. It's just books, really good books :)


Ariane Ruby Rike' wrote: "I'm Christian and I don't mind the story line, but the writing for the first book was awful. I prefer the Infernal Devices.

Oh and I love Harry Potter. I never practice or try to play with witchc..."


Tessa mentioned: "One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us."

I wonder...hmmm


message 34: by Sophie (last edited Jan 21, 2013 12:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie Ariane wrote: "Rike' wrote: "I'm Christian and I don't mind the story line, but the writing for the first book was awful. I prefer the Infernal Devices.

Oh and I love Harry Potter. I never practice or try to pl..."


Point. But she was talking of Dickens and Austen, whose influence is a lot greater and writing a lot more powerful. But I agree with her, books are not to be underestimated.


Tiffany Gallant This is interesting that you posted this. I am a christian, and I have been struggling about my love for ya paranormal books. Before I had no problem with reading them, and it was more that I was more concerned about if it had bad language or heavily sexual. (I know for myself those types of books aren't good for me). But as I have gotten into more series, I've noticed I'm reading books I would never have. Like City of bones for instance. I've tried reading three times and I just don't like it. First it was because of the writing, she is too detailed. Then it was because of demons. The last series I read was Evernight series. I usually stay away from any demon/ghost books. But these "vampire books" now seem to have demons, or ghosts in them too. They seem to affect me more then a vampire book. I get scared easily, or have really crazy nightmares. So I don't know. I feel maybe God just wants me to take a break from these books. I'll see how I feel in 3 days.
But my point, some christian out there, say that these books have demonic prescence, or they could bring spirits into your life. There are some christian that are really hardcore agianst these books. Some of those christians are my friends. So I guess I'm stuck in a tug of war for my love of these books, and my faith. Some of my friends had really great advice. They said these books are ok, because they are just fantasy, make believe. But if they cause you to sin, or obsess about bad things, or have lots of nightmares, then you shouldn't read them. So I guess I will just measure it on that. Some of the books do not affect me the way the others do. Sorry I know I rambled on, but that is my thoughts.


message 36: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I am a Christian and I absolutely love these books. Cassandra Clare is my favorite author. Though if my mom knew what these books were about or how much swearing there is in them she probably wouldn't let me read them, she's REALLY strict. But what she doesn't know won't hurt her.:)


Jessica Hi, I actually have a question. I've been hearing a lot of good things from these books. I know they are fantasy and that there isn't to much swearing or sex involved. My question is however, what about the demons and the angels mentioned in the books? Do the books mention God? Is there anything particularly offensive about the books? I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area or message board, but I really don't know where else to ask these questions. Thank you. :)


Jaedyn i am mormon and loved the books


Kirby Tiffany wrote: "This is interesting that you posted this. I am a christian, and I have been struggling about my love for ya paranormal books. Before I had no problem with reading them, and it was more that I was m..."

Yes, this was the sort of thing that spurred me to post the question! I'm not really religious myself, but do come from a somewhat Christian background...and the way that these books mix in Biblical elements made me wonder if some Christians might be conflicted about it.

I've read lots of "bad" books, with vampires, ghosts, killers, etc., and they never brought this question to mind- I suppose b/c they're so very fictional. It was the Biblical (NON-fictional to Christians) references mixed with fiction that made me pause and wonder how a believer would feel about it.

Also- no need to apologize for rambling! :) I was glad to get your point of view (AND, of course, those of everyone else- even if I hadn't responded yet!), especially since it seemed so in line with what I was originally thinking.


Kirby Jessica wrote: "Hi, I actually have a question. I've been hearing a lot of good things from these books. I know they are fantasy and that there isn't to much swearing or sex involved. My question is however, what about the demons and the angels mentioned in the books? Do the books mention God? Is there anything particularly offensive about the books? I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area or message board, but I really don't know where else to ask these questions. Thank you. :)"

No need to apologize! :) Though I'm not sure I can accurately answer your questions...I actually wasn't too impressed with this series and don't really remember many specifics.

I do know, however (b/c I looked it up), that the angels and some other religious references in the series ARE actually contained in the Bible. I can't remember if there were any direct references to God (hopefully someone more familiar can answer that), but the books do fictionally use elements that- presumably- AREN'T fictional to true believers. That's what made me wonder if this series would be disconcerting to Christians.

I hope that helped at least a bit!


Tanitia Walt I am a Christian and i absolutely loved these books- i still do. the whole TMI series are my favorite books from all time and i believe that the book doesn't insult anyone's religion it simply is based on old myths and I can just imagine how much info Cassandra Clare had to gather to write these books so magnificently. Personally I've never been fond of people always having to bring religion into anything. it's imagination, and if you don't have imagination your life would be the saddest thing.

haha- anyway- no these books aren't offensive to Christians unless you're one of those people who believe all mythical things are evil, then yeah.


Wren Kirby wrote: "I was just thinking about all the uproar from some christians over the harry potter books back in the day, and how it seems that these books could be considered even more "demonic" or what have you..."

I'm Christian and honestly, it's all just fantasy (but I'm leaving the religion) my parents are extreme Christians and hate all these books. I saw the beautiful creatures movie with my mom and she gave me a huge lecture on how it was evil and bah blah blah I was in the darkness blah blah blah.


Wren Audrey wrote: "i am a christian too. and i love all sorts of fantasy books.
there are a lot of reasons some Christians dont like this sort of thing. but as long as people realize that its not real there is nothin..."


How is it devil worship?


Nellie ☾ I'm a Catholic and I love the books, so does my friends.


message 45: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I'm Christian and Cassandra Clare's books are my absolute favorite books!


Michiko Im a christian and yeah i didn't like city of bones but not because of the reasons you might think but because i just didn't like the characters much.
I LOVE Harry Potter books and I think I (I'm sure many Christians are too)am wise enough to separate fiction from reality so there isn't really much harm enjoying these books :)


Michiko Julia wrote: "Kirby wrote: "I was just thinking about all the uproar from some christians over the harry potter books back in the day, and how it seems that these books could be considered even more "demonic" or..."

lol. can't understand why some people... (mostly elders y'know i mean i appreciate them telling us off haha) My church is also sensitive about things like that. But there are also so many things on TV like commercials and movies sending negative (ungodly) messages like premarital sex is good and fame and money is the most important thing in the world.. stuff like that is normally seen on tv or read on books. it's just up to the person and how mature one is i guess. it's fine to read urban fantasy as long as you don't make it your god (translation: don't get addicted to it) :DD
sorry for the looooong boring comment. i tend to rant :P


Fabienne Gilbert I'm a Christian and i love these book and loads of others that can be considered ten times worse


Mikela I'm a christian and i've read the first book. I'm not a particularly big fan of the books, but it's not because of my christian values. I see it as long as I know the difference between real life and books, then it doesn't get in the way of my faith.


message 50: by Jose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jose Gonzalez Moore I am a christian and i loved this book


« previous 1
back to top