Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Storyteller
This topic is about The Storyteller
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis → Start Date: December 30th, 2012

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Angela and I realized we were struggling through the same book and, I hope, a buddy read will help us finish it!

If you have it, please feel free to join in! Maybe together we can get through it! LOL!

message 2: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments alright, so I just finished chapter 5. Where are you and how far do we want to try to get today! LOL!

ugh....it's hard to pick it back up...

Angela | 17787 comments Thanks for this, Trisha! So you were having trouble with this too? :P

There's just something about this book that makes me not want to read it. I read a few pages, put it down, and don't pick it back up until days after.

Angela | 17787 comments How much do you want to try and get done today?

message 5: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Hmmm, how far... how far are you???

Did we want to try to push through a few chapters a day or really push through and finish this thing! LOL! I'm good either way!

Angela | 17787 comments I'm on page 100 (chapter 8). I don't think I'll be able to finish all this at once, but you probably would be able to LOL. How about a few chapters a day?

message 7: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments LOL I don't think I can read it all in one day either! I just decided to cleat the kitchen instead of read!! ugh, not a good sign! LOL

Okay, I'll catch up to your 100

then, tomorrow, we'll try to get to Chapter 8, page 135 and then come back and we'll start chatting about the book....??
Does that sound like too much?

it's kind of confusing right now..at least where I'm at.

Angela | 17787 comments 100 pages isn't even a lot, and I'm already confused. @.@

Up to page 135 is fine with me. 35 pages is nothing in a good book, but in this one... ugh. I can do it though :D ...maybe.

We'll see how it goes. It might improve and get better! :D

message 9: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, LOL!

I'll be back tomorrow after I've gotten through 135 pages hahah!!! WE CAN DO IT! fingers crossed it gets better from here!

Angela | 17787 comments Yes, we can!! LOL, I hope so!

message 11: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Jan 04, 2013 01:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Our Fairy Tale Characters (updated each chapter!)
The green boat with yellow rutter = Hope

rose girl = Anna
the doll = Mrs. Mrgaret
little princess = Micha
White wolf = Abel
white dog = Abel
White Sea Lion = Abel
lighthouse guy = literature teacher, Mr. Knaake
White Cat = Michelle
Question guy = abel
Answer guy = abel
Rich man = ??
Poor Woman = Mrs. Ketow

black boat:
Bad man w/ red cape = Rainer Lierski = Micha's dad (dead)
Older Couple = Uncle Rico & Aunt Evelyn
Diamond smuggler = Social services guy (dead)
woman in track suit = downstairs neighbor Mrs. Ketow
diamond cutter = Micha's teacher

message 12: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments oh, and Bertil is CRAZY! lol

that guy with a gun....is just scary

Angela | 17787 comments That's what I think anyway. I'm sure Anna's not the sea lion LOL. Now imagine we're wrong? That would be funny, but I'm almost positive we have it right.

I thought the part where he said he sold her children's Tylenol was funny.

I dislike Bertil more and more. When he was talking about hunting and dying... *shudder* Ugh.

The red hunter is creepyyyy.

Angela | 17787 comments Did you understand the part with the cats? Do you think it's important?

And also, I think this book is finally getting interesting. A little, at least. I'm still just as confused though LOL.

message 15: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Okay, the part about the cats. I think that was a reference to the drugs. The "magic threads" make them see things, distract them from life. I think that's the drugs - they skew your focus and make you not active in life.

that's what I'm guessing though! LOL! Who knows! Just when I think I know something...suddenly I'm wrong!!

I did like the part about the hunting where Anna thought that Bertil thought he was saying these things to make himself seem big, but he was really making himself seem smaller.

And Yeah...why does that guy have Micha's name on his arm....is he really his daughter?? I can't tell what's real and what's a part of the fair tale

message 16: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments and...alright, I gotta know

who do you think he's burying in the beginning??

Is that Michelle?
Anna?
Micha??
Gitta (is that her name??)??

I assume not Micha...but is that Abel doing the burying?

I' afraid to think it's Anna....but doesn't that seem like it's who it could be??

Angela | 17787 comments Thanks for explaining. That makes sense LOL. I'm sure you're right!

I think that Rainer(?) is actually her father... almost positive, anyway. The story Abel tells is almost exactly like reality. I think he wants her back, and he knows Michelle's gone, but he's...dangerous? so Abel won't let him have custody. Not sure if that made any sense LOL.

Angela | 17787 comments Wait, let me re-read that part...

message 19: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Yes, I think Rainer is her dad (sorry, I forgot his name...I'm struggling with some of the ones I don't know easily)

....but I thought in the prologue...he was moving a body...and someone was talking to it saying how frustrated he was...because she never thought anything through..

oh...was that maybe Abel burying his mom, michelle?
or was that him burying Anna by the time this is all said and done?

Or maybe Rainer burying Michelle?? It seemed too tender to be him burying the mom....

I hope it's not Anna....

So, what's our goal for tomorrow???
How about another chapter? Or do we want to go for two?? ;)

message 20: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I think I'm going to aim for two chapters today. read through to Chapter 10 :)

Angela | 17787 comments Sorry, I went offline yesterday to help my sister with something.

In the beginning, I think it was Abel burying someone; I don't think it was Rainer. It doesn't exactly fit his personality, or what we know about him so far.

I think it might have been Abel burying Anna, but I'm not sure. I feel like it's Anna though...

It could always be Michelle. We don't hear about her than much...

Angela | 17787 comments Two chapters is good with me. Before you suggested a buddy read, I probably wouldn't have even gotten past one chapter. So thanks. :D

message 23: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments lol No worries! I'm so glad we're reading this together. This is a really confusing book!!

oh and no worries about yesterday! I always disappear on this thing :)

okay, 2 chapters! We can do it ;D We're gonna finish this and do a little dance when we post it to our numbers!!!

Angela | 17787 comments LOL. I do a little dance inside everytime I get a chapter done ;P

I'll come back in a while when I finish reading~

message 25: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments wow, what twist...!!!

Do you think he's really dead or do you think he just gave his id and whatnot to someone else that was murdered (so he looks dead??

and add the sleeping White Cat = Michelle

and WHAT!!?? the white fox leaves?? Is the White Fox NOT Abel??

argh...I'm confused again...lol!!!

what did you think?

Oh, and 2 chapters tomorrow??

message 26: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Jan 02, 2013 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments lol, okay, so comment 11, I'm going to keep updating with all our story people! Jeez! LOL!

be sure to correct it if you think I'm wrong
I'm so confused.....

Angela | 17787 comments Ahh, I know!!

And they kissed! I knew it was going to happen sometime :P

I half believe he's really dead, but I also think it's too early for him to leave the story... He's not that small of a character... I think he might come back later on. We're only halfway through.

What page did you find that the white fox leaves? I don't remember that part...

Bertil is starting to get on my nerves! I don't like him.

message 28: by Angela (last edited Jan 02, 2013 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela | 17787 comments I have that Abel is a silver-gray dog... but he's also the gray wolf? I think?

"At that very moment something dark emerged from a corner--something very big--and the rose girl was frightened. it was the wolf. The big gray wolf who had killed the red hunter. She had seen it, even though she hadn't told the little queen."

Isn't he also the sea lion though? He is three different animals? I'm not sure if I got this right...

Angela | 17787 comments Oh, and also, do you think we're going too slow? I know you read really fast, so if you want to go faster, it's okay with me. If you don't, we'll just read up to 12.

message 30: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments oh no, taking this one at this pace is perfect. I think if I tried to race through it I'd have to write this crazy fairytale down! LOL!

You know, if you and I weren't chatting about this, I wouldn't have kept going on this book. it's confusing! sheesh! thank you for joining me!!! :D

Did you see I changed Message 11??
I'm trying to keep track but jeez...I'm getting lost!!

Angela | 17787 comments Aw, I should be thanking you!! :D

(I'm just as confused as you. We're in this together, Trisha!)

Yeah, look at what I wrote in Message 28. I don't know if the rich man is Bertil... he could be.

message 32: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Well, I wondered if he was the wolf, because he's saying he didn't kill these people...and yet he has cigarette burns on his arm now...

so if he's the wolf....then he's the one killing them??

I'm also DYING to know wht Gitta knows!!! What does she know about Abel - she keeps hinting she knows something?!!?

message 33: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments wow!! our next two chapters are 70 pages!!! Do we just want to do one or are you okay doing both chapter 12 & 13?

Angela | 17787 comments I think he is the wolf. There's this one part in the story where the little queen says "Oh, my sea lion, my dog, my wolf!" So I guess he's all three. Then he is the murderer, right?

I know! Gitta obviously knows something! I wonder when she's going to finally say something... if she ever does.

Angela | 17787 comments Both chapters are good with me :D These chapters are getting longer!

I'm on page 264 right now. What are you up to?

message 36: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments right!! They are getting SOOOO long!! lol!

I'm at 240, but I'll get to 310 before I go to bed tonight.

I have my Girl Scout meeting tonight so I'll be gone for the next few hours. then I'm going to come back and read read read :)

is it okay if we touch base tomorrow after we do two days of reading? how much do we want we want to read tomorrow?? if we stop at 310 tonight, it's about 90 pages until we're done...

do we want to read that all tomorrow or split it up into two days?

Angela | 17787 comments We can go either way. It doesn't matter. We can finish it all tomorrow if you want. I have a feeling I might read ahead LOL.

message 38: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments alright, let's finish this one up tomorrow.

pop on here if you feel inspired (or if we get some answers, dang-it!!)

message 39: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, I've finished it...and wow, I'm not really sure how I feel about this book.

let me know if you finish or how far you get...

Angela | 17787 comments I finished it!! So many emotions omg.

message 41: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments yay!!! you ended up loving it!!!

tell me!!! what did you love!?!? How did it go from meh to love??

Angela | 17787 comments Aw, and I guess you didn't... :/

I don't know how to explain it. I was still confused at some parts, but the writing was amazing. I wanted to continue reading. I just had to know the rest. I guess after I got into it (thanks to you!) I was entranced!

Why only three stars for you?

message 43: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments it just kind of lost me...at the rape part...

I know they explained it.... but I just...couldn't. You know?

I just couldn't forgive Abel...and to find out he was the murderer too..Ugh, I just felt let down. I wanted him to be a good guy. I thought Anna deserved that.

Angela | 17787 comments Oh, yeah. I didn't like that part...

It was sad though, the ending. I cried. I wanted him to be the good guy too. But we sort of saw it coming, that he was the murderer.

message 45: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I just have to say it again

thank you so much for buddy reading this. I can say, there is no way I would have gotten through this book without a reding buddy! LOL!

I'm so glad you liked it too!!! :) and WE DID IT!!! lol!

Angela | 17787 comments No, Trisha. Thank you!!

YES. WE DID. :D

And I did a happy dance~ ;D

message 47: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I did too! I totally did a happy shake....in my living room....at 2 in the morning! But my woop woops were pretty quiet, since everyone else was asleep! hahah!!!!

Angela | 17787 comments LOL. At least you didn't wake them up ;D