The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans discussion

discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kristi Casey I have recently started reading this book and am enjoying it so far . . . anyone else?

message 2: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Finished it before Christmas....LOVED it...Perhaps one of my all time favourites...:) Enjoy!

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Loved it. Is definitely a read again kind of book.

Martha Kristi wrote: "I have recently started reading this book and am enjoying it so far . . . anyone else?"

Loved this book We are going to discuss at book club meeting..lots to discuss

message 5: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Just finished this book and it was just 'ok' to me. Nothing I would recommend or want to read again.

Angela The story really gripped me and I couldn't put it down. Definitely got me thinking and caring about the characters.

Cathy It was my favorite read last year, I couldn't put it down and admit I cried at the end.

message 8: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Gardner A brilliant first novel, exploring right and wrong and how sometimes they look the same. Looking forward to reading more from this author. One of my favourite books of 2012.

Martha Totally agree w comments above

Martha Oops totally agree with comments from Jan. fantastic read

message 11: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Jan wrote: "A brilliant first novel, exploring right and wrong and how sometimes they look the same. Looking forward to reading more from this author. One of my favourite books of 2012."

Agree completely.

Karen Mackay I totally disagree with the comments above regarding the ending of this novel. I was not disappointed at all with the ending. Actually, I appreciated the fact that the novel, like reality, ended sadly without everything being tied up in a neat little bow. I've read too many books like that and wanted to throw them across the room after finishing them!

There were so many themes in this book that were raw and real.

I agree with the above commen: a brilliant first novel. I would absolutely recommend this book. One of my favorite books in a long time.

message 13: by Fran (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran Smith I was disappointed. There were several things that just didn't make sense to me. Why did so many people believe, knowing Tom and Isabelle, that Tom acted alone? Why did Hannah offer Lucy back to Isabelle? And then why didn't she go through with it? I understand she promised the baby back, only if she spoke against Tom, but, as I said, it just made no sense to me. I was expecting a "King Solomon" moment, and it never came.

Kristi Casey We got to know Tom pretty well in the book, but Isabel was absolutely unlikeable to me. I did think that somehow she would get Lucy back. I liked that in the end, we met Lucy as an adult.

Colleen Maclennan I am somewhere between liked and really liked. Basically the book deals with love on different levels. Love between husbands and wives, love parents have for their children, lost loves , love of one's country and birthplace, love of a way of life. All the characters in the book experience the joys and sorrows that comes with love.

message 16: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I liked it for the simple moral dilemma... They assume they have found an orphan, they are childless and she nurses that baby and saves her life. Then they discover that the mother is alive and grieving and then it’s a catch 22 moment – no matter what happens someone is going to be hurt and how Tom tries to minimize the hurt than causes a greater a hurt and it snowballs out of control. Time passes and the choices reveal that everyone carried on and lived their lives ~ Time heals all Wounds sort of statement. We read this for book club and it was well liked & discussed!

message 17: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan gertt wrote: "Actually I felt the author did 'tie up everything in a neat little bow'. Tragic and hopeless, but neatly tied together. I guess I just feel every story should have some happiness or redeeming mom..."

I agree. Kinda "hopeless" book to read as my first of the New Year when there is usually so much hope for all things, lol.
Personally I could not 'warm up' to the characters.

Linda Really liked this book. Seems it is one of those books you either love or hate-maybe a good thing! It isn't "middle of the road".

Cheyenne gertt wrote: "Fran wrote: "I was disappointed. There were several things that just didn't make sense to me. Why did so many people believe, knowing Tom and Isabelle, that Tom acted alone? Why did Hannah offer Lu..."

Agreed. Isabel drove me absolutely crazy. I couldn't get behind any of her decisions or her thought process. She truly needed some help.

Penny Jensen Karen wrote: "I totally disagree with the comments above regarding the ending of this novel. I was not disappointed at all with the ending. Actually, I appreciated the fact that the novel, like reality, ended ..."

Penny Jensen I agree. I loved this story. I read it months ago and still think about the story. I can feel for all the characters. One of my best reads also!

Penny Jensen The ending was amazing. I was surprised by it Truly fit with the story

Wendy One of the most compelling books I've read in ages. So many pivitol choices causing so much pain. Big point to me is that the one truly wrong without a doubt action was by the mob who chased Lucy's father to his death. Everything stems from that hateful act. Given the time and place of Lucy's arrival I can relate to Isabel's initial choice. After that it's a bit foggy all the way around.

Priscilla Dipaola Anyone who ever lost a baby will be able to relate to this book on a very deep level. The heartache of a mother who loses her living child opposed to a mother who had three stillborns and then is given a baby on a silver platter. One can see how Isabel did what she did - but with devestating concequences! Terribly heartbreaking!!!!! This is truly a tear jerker!!!!!!!!

message 25: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz D'Amore Loved it. I work in a library and since its publication its been my top suggestion for people looking for "something good to read." A lovely book.

Wendy I see validity in all the comments above, but keep in mind the time period and the isolation of the light house. The assumption that both parents were dead was logical as was the concern about placing the baby into an early 1900's orphanage as compared to two living people who were available to love her. Not saying it was right, but there are understandably mitagating circumstances. Once it was discovered that the birth mother was alive the best thing for the child would have been an arrangement allowing Tom and Isabel to stay in Lucy's life. A child cannot have too many people who love her.

message 27: by Jean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean I agree. That time period was not kind to orphans. It wasn't hard to think the mother was not alive especially when Isabel so wanted to believe that. Of course there would be relatives but again Isobel thought she would be the better choice to raise this baby. I also agree that Isabel's treatment of Tom was very wrong and she had to be mentally damaged to act that way. I would definitely recommend this book and the writer.

Priscilla Dipaola Every person's view is different. That is why this section is called comments. I can fully understand why Isabel did what she did. I, myself, lost my baby when he was just 5 months old. That's why this book gripped me so. I cannot blame Isabel for keeping Lucy _ no one would ever know. Given the circumstances that she was isolated with her husband, alone on an island, where there were no witnesses. Very tempting for a grieving mother. I see both sides and understand both mothers' grief. And yes, baby Lucy was delivered to Isabel on a silver platter - it is called a 'figure of speech' although she arived on a boat!!!!!

Wendy My sympathies to you Priscilla. You must miss your son horribly.

message 30: by Linda (last edited Jan 18, 2013 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda The book really deals with the question,"what (and who) is family?" Is it birth or nurture? Blood or love of the deepest kind? What would possess someone to take a baby and love it without reason?
I was adopted at birth, loved without reason, and lost my parents and brother over the past several years. In August, I "found" my birth mother and 5 siblings, living within 2 hours of my home. We have met, enjoy each others company, and look forward to the future we have.
My siblings had no idea I existed,my birth mother still (at 86 yrs old),is greatly ashamed. There are feelings I never expected from all of them, esp. anger toward our mother.
My family is the people I shared my life and memories with; that loved me and cared for me and forgot I wasn't "theirs". The family I now am coming to know are like close friends, and we will make memories together. BUT, they are not and will never be Family- blood or not- because I never BELONGED to them.
"The Light Between Two Oceans" is my story: one of love and loss; of grief and joy; of giving and losing. I am daily grateful for ALL of the people I claim as family. And epscially those who took me and loved me and realized that loving is always enough.

message 31: by Linda K (last edited Jan 19, 2013 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda K I loved the book. I was happy to see that Lucy-Grace did bond to her real mother but kept Tom & Isabel in her heart. In today's society the media would have crucified this couple deprived of a natural child of their own keeping another person's child. Kudos to Tom for doing the right thing for all involved.

Jennifer Wow, I really loved reading all the differing opinions on the story and characters, especially Isabel. I found her to be a very sympathetic, tragic figure. In that exact situation, so quickly after a stillbirth, it's easy for me to see why she chose to keep Lucy.

The one I feel most sorry for is Lucy though. She was four years old. What an absolutely devastating thing to happen to that poor little girl when she was ripped from the only family she is ever known. I actually agree with Isabel that what is best for Lucy trumped Hannah's grief and Tom's guilt.

I see I'm in the minority but I think Tom was the selfish one. He completely destroyed his family and the only two people in the world that he loved just to ease his own guilt.

Maybe it's the fact that I was adopted at birth that gives me a different perspective. It just reminded me of the stories from a few years back of people fighting to get their kids back who had been adopted years ago even though it meant ripping them from the only family they'd ever known.

Jennifer For me things weren't that black and white but to each their own.

Barbara I loved this book, its descriptive quality, the complicated relationships, and setting. I rarely cry when reading a book, but the end of this one brought tears to my eyes. I'll read her next book!

message 35: by Fran (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fran I loved this novel. Couldn't put it down. Talk about conflicts and their accompanying emotional rides......
Hope her next title, and there just have to be one, is as compelling as her debut.

Jamie I enjoyed the book. There were so many conflicts in it and made you think about what you can and can't give up in life! Big mistakes were made.

Terry gertt wrote: "I didn't find this story gripping or intense, but because of the varied reviews and opinions, I would recommend reading The Light Between Oceans.

The story began well, but then became hopeless wi..."

I find it interesting that you felt it ended in despair. I don't see how it could have possibly ended on a happy note given the how greatly the events affected all of the major characters. I thought there was an air of redemption at the end which was perhaps the best way to go.

message 38: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Could not put it down, as I could not imagine how it would end!

Leslie Joan wrote: "Could not put it down, as I could not imagine how it would end!"
I felt the same way - was completely surprised and cried my eyes out..Loved it!

LindaJ^ Guess I am a middle of the roader on this one. My one word description for the story is "sad." Everyone's lives would have been better if Tom had just told Izzy no and reported finding the boat, the dead body, and the baby. Issy might have gotten the help she needed sooner and perhaps she and Tom could have adopted. The book was well-written but not a "page-turner" for me. The beginning of the book where the impact of the "war to end all wars that didn't" had on those who returned was discussed was more interesting to me than the ultimate story.

message 41: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat Joan wrote: "Could not put it down, as I could not imagine how it would end!"

I felt the same way! Enjoyed the story very much even though it was gut wrenching.

Notty Pat wrote: "Joan wrote: "Could not put it down, as I could not imagine how it would end!"

I felt the same way! Enjoyed the story very much even though it was gut wrenching."

I totally agree - didn't know what to expect. I really enjoyed the book!

Patti I loved this book for many reasons. I was enthralled in the harsh beauty of the setting and wondered about that part of the world. I thought the characters were flawed and interesting but most of all, I found myself stopping to think of the consequences of their decisions every step of the way along life's journey.

Karen Jennifer wrote: "Wow, I really loved reading all the differing opinions on the story and characters, especially Isabel. I found her to be a very sympathetic, tragic figure. In that exact situation, so quickly aft..."

Agree 100% I was really disappointed in Tom. If he absolutely had to be honest about the child, he should have done it the first day. I really stopped caring about Tom and what would happen to him after he made the decision to rip his family apart.

Shannon P. I'm hosting a book club gathering for this book on Sunday, Feb. 24th. I finished the book about a week ago (almost two weeks before the gathering).

I cried pretty much through the last two chapters. Today, re-reading the last chapter, I bawled my eyes out again! So moving. I really loved this book.

Just finished my PowerPoint to run in the background during the afternoon tea book club. It has photos of Australian lighthouses, quotes from the book, and a map that shows the characters' movement around the continent.

I also made a Google Map. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...

Ok, now that I've spent a day on this, I really need to stop obsessing. Happy reading, everyone.

Saturday's Child A review of this novel made me decide to read it and I am not disappointed that I did.

message 47: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane I got depressed reading the book and feared that things would end really badly. I was most relieved when Isabel accepted what Tom had done at the end of the book--even though it did neatly tie things up at the end as others have suggested. Tom had a difficult youth and suffered greatly in the war. Even so he was a really good man, and I suppose what depressed me was that it appeared for awhile that his whole life was going to be a tragedy just because he did something his wife talked him into doing and then turned on him when his conscience allowed the truth to come out.

Kelsey I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It kept my interest through the end. Human nature at it's worst and best gave depth to the main characters. Very good prose. Since the ending is discussed a lot I have to add that I thought it was great.

Karen gertt wrote: "Karen wrote: "I really stopped caring about Tom and what would happen to him after he made the decision to rip his family apart..."

Do you think it was acceptable for Tom to allow Isabel to rip Ha..."

I accept everyone has a right to their opinion on the morality in this book. It is my opinion that the towns people ripped the child away from her biological mother, not Isabel. Isabel found and cared for the child. Yes, she and Tom should have returned the child right away. But having made the decision not to do that, I felt it was wrong to tear apart the only family the child knew years later.

message 50: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bev Sabino Kristi wrote: "I have recently started reading this book and am enjoying it so far . . . anyone else?"

I just finished it and loved it!

« previous 1