Dirty Red (Love Me with Lies, #2) Dirty Red discussion

Does Caleb really love Olivia? Or is he merely in love with the memory of the one that got away?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Enzo I want Caleb and Olivia together damnit. But I can't help but think - if Leah wasn't such a rotten mother, would Caleb and Leah have lived happily ever after. I think I just threw up in my mouth. But sorry I had to ask. This has been bothering me since I put the book down.

Julie I believe that Caleb and Olivia are each others soul mates and while they can live without each other, they won't be whole unless they are together.

Leah was the "Rebound" girl that Caleb tried to be happy with. I think Caleb felt a sense of responsibility towards Leah because he married her and he does love and care about her, but he's not IN LOVE with her, which he finally admits to her at the end of book 2. I believe deep down Leah has always known how Caleb feels about her, but just refused to believe it, so she does what she feels will keep him and gets pregnant.

Maria Caleb & Olivia belong together. Somehow, life keeps throwing them back together. They truly love each other, they could never forget each other and they have to start following their hearts. To me, Caleb & Olivia is undeniable & inevitable!
Coincidentally, after reading TO, I attributed Katy Perry's song "The One That Got Away" (the acoustic, slow version) to Caleb & Olivia.

Tesa I'm really concerned about them because while I respect the author's creative license, she's made a point about HEA's and the love of villains. All of her characters are very complex, but I do think it would seem like a lot to go through for Olivia and Caleb to not end up together. There's a lot of collateral damage for everyone to end up alone or with their second choices. On top of that, the plotting makes you wonder if some of these people know the difference between love and obsession. I'd like to think that out of all of this, Olivia and Caleb emerge more mature and actually capable of fully loving each other, but where does leave, say, Noah?

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Good point, Tesa but I do think Caleb & Olivia have grown up since they royally screwed each other. I doubt they'll make the same mistake twice if given a second chance especially since they've had to spend so much time apart because of their shenanigans.

Totally agree that Leah was the "rebound girl" but the thing Seth said to her about Caleb never really seeing her maybe he didn't realize how jacked up she really is.

And if Tarryn even thinks about not giving me my HEA I'm flying to South Africa to tell her off!

message 6: by Tesa (last edited Jan 03, 2013 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tesa The Optimist wrote: "Good point, Tesa but I do think Caleb & Olivia have grown up since they royally screwed each other. I doubt they'll make the same mistake twice if given a second chance especially since they've had..."

I'll fly with you! Yeah, I completely understand that some relationships are too damaged to be mended, but I think Caleb/Leah are a more broken pairing than Caleb/Olivia. At least Olivia never brought a child into this hot mess; Leah clearly has issues that go way beyond her romantic life. She's not a good bet for ANYONE at this point.

After all of this, it would suck if it all ends with "sometimes you have to find a way to be happy with your second choice." I find it far more compelling to say that one person's HEA can be another person's tragedy. I feel bad about Noah, but then again I don't know much about the character. Perhaps he'll take his own advice and love Olivia enough to let her go.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Tesa wrote: "The Optimist wrote: "Good point, Tesa but I do think Caleb & Olivia have grown up since they royally screwed each other. I doubt they'll make the same mistake twice if given a second chance especia..."

AGREED!!!!! TIMES LIKE A BAJILLION! IDK if it's in this thread or the other one but that interview with her where she says Olivia's changed a lot & Caleb is confused....gulp....makes me so nervous. That coupled with her apparent obsession with Great Expectations. I literally might need therapy if they don't end up together. But then she said she feels she is most like Caleb & that made me feel a wee bit better. I mean, she's happy, right? RIGHT?!?!?! LOL! Sorry, I got carried away. I was left with one burning question after reading that interview she talks about writing Thief & says she's writing sex scenes. Ummm who the hell is Caleb having sex with???? If it ain't Olivia, I'm gonna be fussy with a capital F.

message 8: by Enzo (last edited Jan 03, 2013 11:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Enzo Tessa wrote: "After all of this, it would suck if it all ends with "sometimes you have to find a way to be happy with your second choice." I find it far more compelling to say that one person's HEA can be another person's tragedy. I feel bad about Noah, but then again I don't know much about the character. Perhaps he'll take his own advice and love Olivia enough to let her go."

Well if it ends in Caleb growing as a person to let Olivia go knowing she is happy enough with Noah, it will just be a rinse repeat of the TO ending. I should hope not. I don't wan't go into a loop. From a bittersweet ending in TO, to a hopeful ending in Dirty Red then only to go back to a mindf*ck of an ending in Thief. I think both books have shown character growth in both Olivia and Caleb. Hopefully, their transformations will be enough for their redemption as people and as a couple who are meant to be together.

Aamirah Maria wrote: "Caleb & Olivia belong together. Somehow, life keeps throwing them back together. They truly love each other, they could never forget each other and they have to start following their hearts. To ..."

Who Knew by Pink also made me think of them.

message 10: by Aamirah (last edited Mar 01, 2013 06:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aamirah There were times when I felt sorry for Leah and hated Caleb for marrying her when he knew that he would never love her like she did him. But then Leah would do some other selfish thing and I would hate her again.

Leah could use some advice from Noah.

"There is more to loving someone than just making yourself happy. You have to want him to be happier than you are."

One part where I really hated Leah was when she was describing how Caleb felt after Olivia left for the second time. She said, "I had to watch his heart break... silently."

She could see that he was hurting so much and that the only thing that would make him feel better is Olivia. Yet she only cared about herself and was jealous that he was hurting because of Olivia.

Mollie Aamirah wrote: "There were times when I felt sorry for Leah and hated Caleb for marrying her when he knew that he would never love her like she did him. But then Leah would do some other selfish thing and I would ..."

I wish I could click "like" on your comment. That part REALLY got to me. It was a new low for Leah.

Maria Aamirah wrote: "There were times when I felt sorry for Leah and hated Caleb for marrying her when he knew that he would never love her like she did him. But then Leah would do some other selfish thing and I would ..."

Aamirah, I love your comments! Everything you said was spot on and made me emotional. Good insights!!

~IreneOust~ The fact that Oliva and Caleb are still in love with one another is a no brainer. I just don't understand why neither of them would act on their feelings? Do neither of them want to be the first person to make the move? I don't get it. I know life got in the way of their love but c'mon already! Act on it. It's obvious both have strong feelings for one another so what's the problem?? But I guess if they did act on it, we wouldn't be waiting for book 3 of this saga, right? LOL!

I would feel for Noah if Olivia ends up leaving him for Caleb but I think he understands that he (Caleb) is Olivia's first and only love. Didn't he say to her in Rome that you only love once or something along those lines. I like that he has come to terms with it and is fine with it (to a degree, I guess). I guess he loves Olivia and will settle for half of her instead of not having her at all, KWIM?

Where as Leah, who is a complete waste of a human being, will never understand something like this and just keeps going on with obsessing over the whole Olivia thing where she should really channel her energy towards Caleb and her new baby. I honestly wanted for her to do/say/feel something other than her usual self pity but, alas, she did absolutely nothing to redeem herself (again, in my eyes). I hate that woman with passion. I think the reason for all the Leah loathing, for me anyways, is that she couldn't learn from her parent's mistakes in order to become a better person. It bugs me when people blame the environment they grew up in for their f*ck ups in life. Nuh uh! Sorry!

The fact that Caleb's mother likes Leah so much and dislikes Olivia just shows you what a shallow bitch she really is. Whatever. She can drop dead in the next book for all I care. One less bitch for Caleb to be surrounded with.

And as far as songs go, I think Pink's TRY is a perfect tune to go with the first two books.