Mount TBR 2013 Reading Challenge discussion

Level 3: Mt. Vancouver (36) > Jemidar is huffing and puffing her way to the top...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jemidar (last edited Dec 22, 2013 08:42AM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments I'll be listing my books below as I read them :-).

1.The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden
2. The Other Tudors: Henry VIII's Mistresses and Bastards by Philippa Jones
3. The Aspern Papers by Henry James
4. Murders of Richard III: A Jacqueline Kirby Novel of Suspense by Elizabeth Peters
5. Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart
6. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John le Carre
7. Pride & Prejudice adapted by Nancy Butler
8. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
9. The Four Georges by William Makepeace Thackery
10. The Mystery Of The Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux
11. Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracey Chevalier
12. Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor
13. Arms of Nemesis by Steven Saylor
14. Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
15. All The King's Women by Derek Wilson
16. The Night Watch by Sarah Waters
17. Excellent Women by Barbara Pym
18. Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell
19. Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
20. Above Suspicion by Helen MacInnes
21. More Tales of the Cityby Armistead Maupin
22. Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen
23. The Courtiers: Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace by Lucy Worsley
24. Riders by Jilly Cooper
25. If Walls Could Talk: An Intimate History of the Home by Lucy Worsley
26. The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
27. The Wheel of Fortune by Susan Howatch
28. Moonraker by Ian Fleming
29. The Man of Property by John Galsworthy
30. In Chancery by John Galsworthy
31. The Forsyte Saga: To Let by John Galsworthy
32. Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson
33. Isabeau: A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer by N. Gemini Sasson
34. Within the Hollow Crown: A Valiant King's Struggle to Save His Country, His Dynasty, and His Love by Margaret Campbell Barnes
35. They Found Him Dead by Georgette Heyer
36. The Perfumed Garden of Sesual Delight by Shaykh Nefwazi

The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden The Other Tudors Henry VIII's Mistresses and Bastards by Philippa Jones The Aspern Papers by Henry James The Murders of Richard III by Elizabeth Peters Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (George Smiley, #5) by John le Carré Pride & Prejudice by Nancy Butler The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro The Four Georges by William Makepeace Thackeray The Mystery Of The Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier Forever Amber  by Kathleen Winsor Arms of Nemesis (Roma Sub Rosa, #2) by Steven Saylor Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart All The King's Women by Derek Wilson The Night Watch by Sarah Waters Excellent Women by Barbara Pym Wild Strawberries (Angela Thirkell Barsetshire Series) by Angela Thirkell Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland Above Suspicion by Helen MacInnes
More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2) by Armistead Maupin Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen The Courtiers Splendor and Intrigue in the Georgian Court at Kensington Palace by Lucy Worsley Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1) by Jilly Cooper If Walls Could Talk An Intimate History of the Home by Lucy Worsley The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Wheel of Fortune by Susan Howatch Moonraker by Ian Fleming The Man of Property (The Forsyte Saga, #1) by John Galsworthy In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga, #2) by John Galsworthy
To Let (Forsyte Saga, #3) by John Galsworthy Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie, #4) by Kate Atkinson Isabeau A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer (The Isabella Books, #1) by N. Gemini Sasson Within the Hollow Crown A Valiant King's Struggle to Save His Country, His Dynasty, and His Love by Margaret Campbell Barnes They Found Him Dead by Georgette Heyer The Perfumed Garden of Sensual Delight by Shaykh Nefwazi

message 2: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments One down!

message 3: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) It's sweet isn't it? It was one of my favourites off the TBR pile last year.

message 4: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments It wasn't at all what I expected, and was so bittersweet. I'm still mulling it over which is always a good sign.

message 5: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Two down :-).

message 6: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) Whay hay! Was the one about the Tudors any good? I'm in the middle of Wolf Hall, which may be as much of the Tudors as anyone needs.

message 7: by Jemidar (last edited Jan 09, 2013 09:32AM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Loved Wolf Hall :-).

The Other Tudors was a fun read but not a terribly scholarly one. It's tone is gossipy and so is a lot of the information imparted. I gave it 3 stars but mostly for the entertainment value.

Here's the link to my review:-

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Wolf Hall is probably going on my list for this year. It has a lot to live up to, what with your review and Kim's!

message 9: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments :-D.

message 10: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Numbers 3 & 4 down. I finished The Murders of Richard III this morning and finished The Aspern Papers the other day but forgot to add it to the list.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Look at you go!

message 12: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments They've all been short and easy. So far...

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) Speedy, speedy, speedy.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

She is speedy!

message 15: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments I'll slow up before long.

message 16: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) Not much sign of huffing and puffing: you're skating along!

message 17: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviahartstra) That's four in a fortnight, so... 26 times 4 books makes 104 books off your Mountain TBR. A hundred books, wasn't that Mount Everest? Hey, you made a fast start.

message 18: by Jemidar (last edited Jan 13, 2013 10:59AM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments The huffing and puffing comes later as I won't be able to keep up this pace for very long! The chunksters will kick in soon and slow me up somewhat.

message 19: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Number five bites the dust :-).

message 20: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) And we're only three weeks in to the year! If you go on like this, five books in three weeks, that makes, um, well, working it out, must be at least, if not more, roughly speaking, 85?????????

message 21: by Jemidar (last edited Jan 18, 2013 02:31PM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments I average around 80 books a year, so yes, if they all come off Mt TBR that's entirely possible. My real problem though is sticking with books I already own and not getting distracted by shiny new books. It's much, much easier at this time of year when nearly everything I own qualifies so I'm making the most of it while I can :-).

message 22: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) Yes, that's true. I think I didn't take that into consideration last year - that it would be much easier at the beginning, and get much harder later when you're stuck with the lurkers and languishers.

message 23: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Yep, I did really well for the first half of the challenge last year which was just as well because the second half I didn't do much at all in comparison. It gets so much harder as the year goes on :-(.

message 24: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) Say, how do you do that cool thing with displaying the mini book covers?

message 25: by Jemidar (last edited Jan 19, 2013 08:40AM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Click on the 'add book/cover' link just above the comment box and under where you type in the name of the book and the 'search' button there are two radio buttons, one for the title link and the other for the book cover, select the cover button and then hit 'add' beside the edition you want. Voila!

message 26: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) Thanks! I'd never noticed those buttons.

message 27: by Jemidar (last edited Jan 21, 2013 12:32AM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Number 6 down--Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Thought this was going to be a reread but as it turns out I hadn't read it before. LOL.

message 28: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) Same here with Late Eclipses!

message 29: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Number 7 down! The graphic novel version of P&P which has been hanging around here for the longest time. Needed something light as I've hit my first blip in the mountain trek as I've got/am recovering from glandular fever.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

You certainly did pick an easy read. :) I'll go look for your rating/review of P&P GN-style.

message 31: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments I still needed a rest afterwards. LOL.

message 32: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Jeannette wrote: "You certainly did pick an easy read. :) I'll go look for your rating/review of P&P GN-style."

I can't help seeing that as "P&P Gangnam-style".

That image in your heads now? Sorry about that. Me too.

How are you feeling, Jemidar?

message 33: by Jemidar (last edited Feb 07, 2013 06:21AM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Slightly better, but then that wouldn't be too hard!! I'm trying for S&S Gangnam style tomorrow ;-D.

message 34: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) Oh dear. Glandular fever can leave you very washed out for a while.
No alcohol. :-(

message 35: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments There goes my partying lifestyle... LOL.

message 36: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) Go on. We can still drink alcohol without having fun.

Ooops, no, that should be the other way round shouldn't it?

message 37: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments :-D.

message 38: by Jemidar (last edited Feb 13, 2013 03:13AM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Number 8 down, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Very well written but I think I preferred the Merchant Ivory film. LOL.

My stats for this challenge aren't encouraging. So far, read 8 books off Mt TBR, read 9 all up and have acquired 10. Sigh. I am doing better than last year though.

message 39: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) You're good! At least I hope you're good, because I'm one small book ahead of you. Figure three books a month to hit 36 by the end of the year, and we're ahead! *waves pom-poms* Team Jemidar!!

message 40: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Yay us!! ;-D

message 41: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) How are you feeling?

I loved The Remains of the Day. It didn't hit me the first time round, but the re-read brought home to me how good it was- I don't think I was paying attention the first time.

You're doing well, 8 out of 9 from Mount TBR. I'm on 7 of 11.

Anyway, we're ahead of the three a month programme - so pom poms at the ready!

message 42: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Better than I was, thanks. Although that's probably not saying much. The worst of it is, I'm sleeping so much it's really cutting into my reading time :-(.

message 43: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) You have to let the body heal. It does the job alright.

Take care of yourself.

I had glandular fever in my final year at uni - had to run home to my mummy and daddy for about three months. It washes you out.

message 44: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Thanks Karen :-).

message 45: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Number 9 down. The Four Georges which is a series of lectures on the Hanovarian kings given by Thackery on a speaking tour of the US.

message 46: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· (kmoll) Yes, I enjoyed your review of that one. Looks interesting.

I'm stuck on the Victorians right now as I am teaching a workshop on Dickens and his time, which kind of grew out of my Dickens lecture last year. Starting on Thursday.

message 47: by Jemidar (last edited Mar 08, 2013 09:26AM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Thanks! And good luck with the workshop. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Dickens although I like most of his friends' books. LOL.

message 48: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Number 10 down, and almost a third of the way up the mountain. Thoroughly enjoyed The Girl with the Pearl Earring.

message 49: by Jemidar (last edited Mar 22, 2013 07:34PM) (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments No 11, Forever Amber, was my first chunkster for the year which at nearly 1,000 pages more than makes up for some of the shorter books I've read so far!

message 50: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments Okay, it looks like I forgot to list one of my books as I went along which I've now remedied so that makes The Mystery of the Yellow Room number 10, The Girl with the Pearl Earring number 11 and Forever Amber number 12. Also just added No 13, Arms of Nemesis. Yay!! I'm one book further along than I thought :-).

« previous 1 3