! YA Heroines ! discussion

Archive > BOTM Suggest a Standalone Book 2013

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 12, 2013 09:37PM) (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Standalone books are great for readers who want a full story in the space of one book (How do they fit so much awesomeness in one book???).

Suggest Standalone books you think we should read. We will select 5 choices that will feature a poll to select one that we will read (in the coming months).

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) It is so hard to find standalones lately, but I did find three on my bookshelves to recommend:

A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce
A historical retelling retelling of Rumpelstiltskin. I really enjoyed reading this one.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green or any others by John Green
A contemporary novel by John Green that deals with cancer. John Green is an amazing author and is one of my favorites. :)

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers
It takes place during a zombie apocalypse. I've never read it, but I've heard good things about it.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Thanks so much for the recs! I really need to read thoose! I'll put them up in a poll when we get more suggestions.

message 4: by Laura (last edited Jan 20, 2013 09:07AM) (new)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) Had on list for a while, seems to have a bit of everything romance, fantasy, mystery and so on...
The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis

Something different.
Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

A variety of genres, looks interesting.
The Dead Girls Detective Agency by Suzy Cox

Pretty popular lately, still haven't gotten round to reading though.
Tilt by Ellen Hopkins

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) That first one sounds really interesting, and Tilt is pretty good.

That fish on the second cover is so awesome. :)

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 57 comments I think we should read The Fault in our Stars, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Tilt,
Tilt by Ellen Hopkins

or Speak Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

or all of the above!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (pandabears) | 96 comments The flower one looks interesting to read, tilt as well, I really hope its what I expect to find in a book! & I really like the dead girls agency one too! (:

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Oooooh, Jenny and I will choose 5 to put in a poll next month. The ones that don't get choosen will be used in a future poll.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelreaditwrite) The Princess Bride S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure by William Goldman

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Princess of the Midnight Ball (Princess #1) by Jessica Day George

All of these look interesting to me!

message 10: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments I've read Entwined and Princess of the Midnight Ball, which are both great books. I've seen the movie for the Princess Bride (If that counts?) but have not read it. I'll be sure to add these in future polls!

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelreaditwrite) I'll have to read Entwined and Princess of the Midnight Ball then, whether or not we read them as a group! I've got the Princess Bride actually, and it's just begging to be read. I have about 100 pages left of one book, one other shorter book from the library and then I'm reading it. And I've watched the move too- in fact, probably at least 20 times (it's my favourite movie) and I can quote almost every scene. It's the best.

message 12: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 23, 2013 01:25PM) (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments LOL, I be putting some of these books up for a poll to read for march. So be sure to keep an eye out.

message 13: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson Paradise by Joanna Nadin

But I would suggest these as a late spring reading book. You have to have the right weather to read them ^^

message 14: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Ok so spring is Autumn/Fall in NZ so you're talking about around April. Sounds good!

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) I've been looking for suggestions and here are a few I've found:

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes Every Day by David Levithan A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson Looking for Alaska by John Green

(I've only read the second two, but the other two are on my to-read list.)

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) The Fault in Our Stars is actually one of the books of the month for February, so if you want to, you can head over to the discussion for it.

Sarah Dessen is amazing, so I would read any of those choices again.

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (kaitlins16) Dreamland is one of my favorite books, and I loved the others too. This Lullaby was the first Dessen book I read and it's one of my favorite books to read over and over.

message 18: by Priya (new)

Priya (ariellathefirequeen) | 42 comments I really didn't like The Storyteller but Out of My Mind was really good.

Both The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight and Amy and Roger's Epic Detour were good also.

I liked The Countess Below the Stairs but thought it was too wordy. I did like the story, however. In fact, I liked it so much so, I bought it. Everyday was good, but the ending left my unsatisfied, if I remember correctly..

And any book by Sarah Dessen is a great choice, but The Truth About Forever is my favorite. I do own Just Listen along with TTAF.

I don't know the other books but Paradise seems promising.

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikkitikkitavi) | 14 comments Wonder by R.J. Palacio , The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen , Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson , The Book Thief by Markus Zusak , and Bruiser by Neal Shusterman are all good stand alone novels.

message 20: by Priya (new)

Priya (ariellathefirequeen) | 42 comments Of course!

And I liked Bruiser.

message 21: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Thank you all. :) They will be used in future.