Classics Without All the Class discussion

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
This topic is about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
388 views
Mar 2013-S. Holmes > The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Jeane and I talked about how to handle Sherlock and decided he's still as difficult as he was in the books. ;) We decided to let you guys decide which of Sir Arthur's stories that you wish. We have a lot of time to read as many as you want. If we don't post a thread discussing the book you read, please feel free to start one! We can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Thanks for your understanding!


message 2: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Degraaf (ldegraaf) | 12 comments Amazon has the whole series for free! You don't have to have a Kindle to take advantage of this either.


message 3: by Jeane, Book-tator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments sweet Lisa! thanks!


message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 5 comments Thanks, because I downloaded the free Amazon edition and then was trying to figure out which ones to read/not to read based on the edition listed for the start of the discussion...

Now I can just pick my own :) looking forward to it.


message 5: by Tee (new)

Tee I have the complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. I read it nearly ten years ago. Looking forward to digging into it again. I may just read them all even if we only discuss certain stories.


message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (infiniteink) | 87 comments My interest in these stories has been rediscovered because of the BBC's taken on them with Benedict Cumberbatch. I've been reading them lately, so I'll be happy to discuss them, as well.


message 7: by HeatherIlene (new)

HeatherIlene (heather_ilene) | 91 comments Crystal wrote: "My interest in these stories has been rediscovered because of the BBC's taken on them with Benedict Cumberbatch. I've been reading them lately, so I'll be happy to discuss them, as well."

For some reason, I never read the stories until after I started watching the BBC/Cumberbatch series. I found the show so inspiring -- I started reading as many stories as I could! I'm glad I did, too. I love crime stories and Conan Doyle's are my favorite!


message 8: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) HeatherIlene wrote: "Crystal wrote: "My interest in these stories has been rediscovered because of the BBC's taken on them with Benedict Cumberbatch. I've been reading them lately, so I'll be happy to discuss them, as..."

I could watch the first two seasons over and over. I'm really needing to read the books, but I have to push through TAoI and LoP first. =) And of course, now I'll be picturing Cumberbatch and Freeman in their respective roles. Could be worse imagery! They do so well!


message 9: by HeatherIlene (new)

HeatherIlene (heather_ilene) | 91 comments Karena wrote: ...

I think they make for a great pair! I find Cumberbatch very convincing -- moreso than Lee Miller, but it's all a matter of perspective.

Ha! I know! So many books! :)


message 10: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) HeatherIlene wrote: "Karena wrote: ...

I think they make for a great pair! I find Cumberbatch very convincing -- moreso than Lee Miller, but it's all a matter of perspective.

Ha! I know! So many books! :)"


I enjoy Elementary as well, but it definitely has a different feel to it. I think I like that in the BBC series they are actually taking the actual stories and putting a modern twist rather than Elementary where they just have some stories that happen to be featuring Sherlock Holmes.


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the BBC Sherlock, too. Cumberbatch and Freeman have great chemistry and the writing is brillant.
I read all the stories many years ago and watched every dramatization I could lay my hands on. I think Jeremy Brett is the best "traditional" Holmes and it's him I see as I'm re-reading the Conan Doyle stories.


message 12: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Ok this got off topic quick! LOL. We should keep this to talking about the specific book edition and in March I promise we will get a thread going lauding the awesomeness of BBC Sherlock and Mr Cumberbatch. Thanks for understanding, guys.


message 13: by HeatherIlene (new)

HeatherIlene (heather_ilene) | 91 comments Ha! Sorry about that. This is the version I'm currently reading the version with the forward by Robert Ryan. (I couldn't find the link quickly via "add/book author" so here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Sh...)


message 14: by Karena (last edited Jan 12, 2013 03:29PM) (new)

Karena (karenafagan) HeatherIlene wrote: "Ha! Sorry about that. This is the version I'm currently reading the version with the forward by Robert Ryan. (I couldn't find the link quickly via "add/book author" so here's the link: http://www.a..."

No worries! I am just as much at fault because who can resist talking about that show. Anyway, thanks for the link though! That is actually the edition I am going to be reading.


message 15: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie  Jones | 1 comments Hello all! I have never read Sherlock- is there anywhere specific I should start? Thanks!


message 16: by Karena (last edited Jan 12, 2013 07:47PM) (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Katie wrote: "Hello all! I have never read Sherlock- is there anywhere specific I should start? Thanks!"

Hey Katie!
I think most would say to start with A Study in Scarlet where Watson meets Sherlock. :)


message 17: by W (new)

W (Thereader1) | 10 comments Just got the whole series off Amazon, can't wait to start reading it.


message 18: by Nell (new)

Nell Lisa wrote: "Amazon has the whole series for free! You don't have to have a Kindle to take advantage of this either."

Thanks so much for the info. I just downloaded it for my Kindle. Looking forward to reading and re-reading the stories. There have been so many TV versions that I can no longer remember the original story.


message 19: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis (alexiswagman) | 19 comments Leslie wrote: "Thanks, because I downloaded the free Amazon edition and then was trying to figure out which ones to read/not to read based on the edition listed for the start of the discussion...

Now I can just ..."


where did you find the free amazon edition?


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I am gonna start it Again. I lost count how many times I read this.Absolutely love it.


Andreea I absolutely loved Sherlock Holmes ....great detective..his methods always have amazed me


message 22: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Alexis wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Thanks, because I downloaded the free Amazon edition and then was trying to figure out which ones to read/not to read based on the edition listed for the start of the discussion...

..."


http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Sher...

Try that one?


message 23: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis (alexiswagman) | 19 comments Thanks Karena! I wasn't sure if that was the one everyone was reading.


Leora (magratgarlick) | 60 comments HeatherIlene wrote: "Crystal wrote: "My interest in these stories has been rediscovered because of the BBC's taken on them with Benedict Cumberbatch. I've been reading them lately, so I'll be happy to discuss them, as..."\

That series is wonderful! I had my grade nines read Baskerville, then watch the episode. When they discussed the differences I got the best lit. analysis I've ever had from them! I love that it is making a classic accesible and exciting to a new generation.


message 25: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Alexis wrote: "Thanks Karena! I wasn't sure if that was the one everyone was reading."

I think people are reading different versions. I just looked that one up. I am not sure it matters what edition we all get. Unless it's this one Disney's the Adventures of the Great Mouse Detective. ;)


message 26: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Ok guys I love the show Sherlock too, but let's keep this thread to book edition questions and what not. I already promised to open a BBC Sherlock thread when March comes around or as I like to call it the "Benedict Cumberbatch is freaking awesome as Sherlock thread."

Thanks! =)


message 27: by Ali (new) - added it

Ali Dent (allident) | 22 comments Any of the stories about Sherlock Holmes will interest me. He's one of my favorite characters. I am new here. Where will the book choice for March be posted?


message 28: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie (fyeahmarie) | 7 comments The only one I've read is The Hound of the Baskervilles, so I'm looking forward to reading the other ones.


message 29: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) We are leaving it up to you guys to decide which of the Sherlock novels you'd like to read. Read one or more. Once March starts anyone is welcome to start a thread for each book.


Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) I prefer to start at the beginning with the first book.


message 31: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Joseph (Millennium Man) wrote: "I prefer to start at the beginning with the first book."

I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly. Everyone is picking their own book to start. Individually you will choose your own book. We can talk about them all on the discussion threads. I know I'm trying to read them all.


message 32: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Karena wrote: "I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly. Everyone is picking their own book to start. Individually you will choose your own book. We can talk about them all on the discussion threads. I know I'm trying to read them all. "

This is a great way to do it. I have read very little Holmes and also seen very little of it in movies or tv. So I'm excited to start, and I like the way you are handling the discussions.


message 33: by Joseph “Millennium Man” (last edited Feb 25, 2013 03:06PM) (new)

Joseph “Millennium Man” (millenniumman) I think Holmes would have started at the beginning.

I have little exposure to his stories as well.

I got the complete works of book. I read the first paragraph and I'm looking forward to read more. Be it the first story in the volume.




Robert (rdowens) It was about a year ago I purchased my Kindle. That totally changed, it seems, my reading focus. I began by reading a number of public domain books. I fell in love with Project Gutenberg. Having never read any Sherlock Holmes stories before, I began with A Study in Scarlet and then soon after read The Sign of the Four. I enjoyed both books. I had planned to move onto the the third in the series, but was sidetracked by other books.

Then I saw that our group was going to read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes this month. I have been looking forward to it.

I've read the first two stories of it. The first is better than the second, but I have to say I am surprised by this book. After doing a little research to confirm my suspicion, this is merely a collection of short stories; there is no overall theme to the book.

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote plenty of short stories. I just find it odd this was selected as the book of the month. I do note that it also appears on the "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" list so perhaps I need to finish and I'll be overwhelmed with pleasure at the read. Lest I be misunderstood, the stories seem fine; my disappointment, as it were, is that this is not a novel, as I had expected.


message 35: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Robert wrote: "It was about a year ago I purchased my Kindle. That totally changed, it seems, my reading focus. I began by reading a number of public domain books. I fell in love with Project Gutenberg. Havin..."

We are technically reading any and all Sherlock novels this month. We just picked this title for the placeholder. It's reader's choice in case there are people who have started the series and don't want to start with "A Study in Scarlet" or maybe only have time for one of the novellas.


Cindy Okay, I'm in!! I have never read any Sherlock Holmes, but I have always wanted to. Especially this particular book. I have it right next to me and I'm ready to go!!! :)


message 37: by Alex (last edited Mar 02, 2013 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex Cross (anotheralexcross) Robert wrote: "I've read the first two stories of it. The first is better than the second, but I have to say I am surprised by this book. After doing a little research to confirm my suspicion, this is merely a collection of short stories; there is no overall theme to the book.

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote plenty of short stories. I just find it odd this was selected as the book of the month. I do note that it also appears on the "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" list so perhaps I need to finish and I'll be overwhelmed with pleasure at the read. Lest I be misunderstood, the stories seem fine; my disappointment, as it were, is that this is not a novel, as I had expected. "


My opinion is that the Holmesian formula is better suited to short stories. There is less repetition of 'Holmes proves himself smarter than Watson' and fewer obvious misdirects than there are in the novels.

You are right there there is no thematic link within the collections of short stories, they are merely chronological compilations of the original publications in the Strand magazine. The reason The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is so well-received is because it contains many of the most famous stories, and many of Conan Doyle's personal favourites. Before the publication of The Case-Book Of Sherlock Holmes Conan Doyle published a list of his twelve favourite Holmes adventures. Included here are the story collections in which they can be found:

"The Adventure of the Speckled Band" (The Adventures)
"The Adventure of the Red-Headed League" (The Adventures)
"The Adventure of the Dancing Men" (The Return Of Sherlock Holmes)
"The Final Problem" (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes)
"A Scandal in Bohemia" (The Adventures)
"The Adventure of the Empty House" (The Return)
"The Five Orange Pips" (The Adventures)
"The Adventure of the Second Stain" (The Return)
"The Adventure of the Devil's Foot" (His Last Bow)
"The Adventure of the Priory School" (The Return)
"The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual" (The Memoirs)
"The Adventure of the Reigate Squire" (The Memoirs)


Alessia (allieonthemoon) | 59 comments Thanks Alex for the list! It is quite interesting to see that The Final Problem was among his favourites, it's probably because he really wanted to get rid of Sherlock! The first two are also among my favourites, especially The Adventure of the Speckled Band which in my opinion is the cleverest of all.

I've read The Memoirs a long time ago and I don't remember much so I've decided I'm going to read that and The Valley of Fear which is the only other story where Moriarty appears. Hope someone else chooses them as well


message 39: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Read this book last year for another book club. The mystery stories are definitely different from more modern mysteries of today, but enjoyable. I am sure I must have read this book when I was young, but had forgotten the stories except for those that have been shown on Masterpiece Mystery. It was a good read.


message 40: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Yes, thanks for the lists. Other than The Hound of the Baskervilles which I believe I read in high school, I haven't read any. So I'm happy to have lists of favorites to focus on, after I finish A Study in Scarlet.

I was hoping to have time to finish it today but household, family and other obligations call!


message 41: by MiA (new) - rated it 2 stars

MiA (mirhershelf) I already read The Hound of the Baskervilles, and I have the Adventures hanging over my shelves since I got it at the Cairo bookfair. So as you see, to me the deal is sealed. :D


message 42: by holly rose (new)

holly rose | 41 comments I downloaded the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on my kindle for free (thanks to someone who mentioned it here I believe). This is my first time reading anything by Doyle. I just read Scandal in Bohemia and really enjoyed it. But after reading a previous post maybe I should start with A Study in Scarlet.


Connie It's strange that I've never read any Sherlock Holmes before; I find them very engaging. I got two different free versions. First read Bohemia on Google play books & am currently reading A Study in Scarlett on kindle. I am enjoying it very much.


Trish at Between My Lines (trishbetweenmylines) | 4 comments Hi folks, I know that we can choose any Sherlock book to read. As someone who has never read any, can you recommend which one you would choose for me? Is it best to start with book 1? Or are the short stories a better introduction?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)


message 45: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Bookishtrish wrote: "Hi folks, I know that we can choose any Sherlock book to read. As someone who has never read any, can you recommend which one you would choose for me? Is it best to start with book 1?..."

Someone suggested started with A Study in Scarlet which sets up the backstory of Holmes and Watson. That's where I've started (just barely).


message 46: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex Cross (anotheralexcross) Bookishtrish wrote: "Hi folks, I know that we can choose any Sherlock book to read. As someone who has never read any, can you recommend which one you would choose for me? Is it best to start with book 1? Or are the short stories a better introduction?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :) "


Hi Trish,

If you have no knowledge whatsoever of Holmes, then the best place to start is the first novel A Study in Scarlet. It introduces the characters of Holmes and Watson and the beginnings of their relationship.

Otherwise, there isn't a huge amount of overriding plot arc between the stories. They are almost all self-contained mysteries and they can be read in pretty much any order. One major exception: be sure to read The Final Problem and The Adventure of the Empty House in succession. It's the closest thing to a two-parter written by Conan Doyle.

If you would like a personal recommendation, I advise the short stories The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle and The Adventure of the Red-Headed League. They are slightly lighter in style and elegantly display Conan Doyle's wit. Both can be found in the collection The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.


message 47: by Ali (new) - added it

Ali Dent (allident) | 22 comments Karena wrote: "Jeane and I talked about how to handle Sherlock and decided he's still as difficult as he was in the books. ;) We decided to let you guys decide which of Sir Arthur's stories that you wish. We have..."

I started Sherlock Holmes this weekend. I've read the Great Classics version for kids and The Hound of the Baskervilles as a stand alone. Thanks for making this our read this month. I love Sherlock — in print, TV and on the big screen. Since it's the book of the month it will push me to enjoy more of Conan's style. Should prove to exciting!


Robert (rdowens) Alex wrote: "My opinion is that the Holmesian formula is better suited to short stories. There is less repetition of 'Holmes proves himself smarter than Watson' and fewer obvious misdirects than there are in the novels."

Thank you for the response. I am surprised that Conan Doyle ranked "The Adventure of the Red-Headed League" so high. I did not take to that story so much; I thought the mystery was fairly obvious. Furthermore, I found the ruse to be so hard to believe.

Anyhow, I am moving along. Thanks again.


Michelle Burton (goneabroad71) | 43 comments Just finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I've read all of the Holmes stories before, but it's been a while, and I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting them. Great pick! And I'm with Maribeth -- I particularly enjoyed "The Speckled Band" and "The Copper Beeches."


Sandy Robert wrote: "It was about a year ago I purchased my Kindle. That totally changed, it seems, my reading focus. I began by reading a number of public domain books. I fell in love with Project Gutenberg. Havin..."

Robert, I'm not sure you ought to count on being "overwhelmed with pleasure at the end". I devoured all the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was a teenager (aeons ago!) but having re-read the collection "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", I have discovered that, as an adult, I am not a fan either of short stories or of the repetitious nature of the writing style. I guess that I have graduated to more "sophisticated" writing. Not to sound snobbish, but this time around the stories do seem a bit "elementary, dear Watson". :-)

I look forward to reading your final assessment of the collection. In the meantime, happy reading!


« previous 1
back to top