UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Archive > Self Challenge - Desley's 2013 Challenge 1

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments I have three challenges this year, so have done 2 threads. Last year I set a target of 100, but it has been such a hectic year that I have had to read a lot of short stories to have a chance of meeting my target, and I am really missing a nice long book to get my teeth into, so I have set a goal of 50 for 2013, 12 of which will be paperbacks.

My second goal is to read a series again, as I did last year, and I have chosen the Robert W Walker Instinct Series, as I have them all. IF I don't like them after the first 2, I will alter the series.

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Good luck!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Cheers, this is the easy challenge

message 4: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Good Luck with your challenge Desley!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments First kindle book of the year is one of my most recent buys, Rachel Abbott's Only the Innocent. I have also started my first paperback, not sure of the title but it is by Izzy Hammond.

Once I have read Rachel's book, I am going to start on my series challenge, better make sure I like the series I have chosen to read!!

message 6: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Lol, very true

message 7: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I love how many people have taken to the challenges this year :o)

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments me too :D

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments I like challenges and targets! The Izzy Hammond book is called Someone to watch over me

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments First paperback read, and 60% through my first kindle book. Good job I reduced the number of books this year

Someone to Watch Over Me: The True Tale of a Survivor Haunted by the Demons of Abuse

message 11: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Wakeling | 111 comments Well done on starting this challenge. I have to say, though I use to be a prolific reader I don't find a lot of time these days. I wouldn't manage anywhere near 50 books!

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments well done on starting and good luck with the challenge :)

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Well done on starting this challenge. I have to say, though I use to be a prolific reader I don't find a lot of time these days. I wouldn't manage anywhere near 50 books!"

Geoffrey wrote: "Well done on starting this challenge. I have to say, though I use to be a prolific reader I don't find a lot of time these days. I wouldn't manage anywhere near 50 books!"

I don't think I will have as much time as last year, but fosters like the current one allow me pretty much an hour of reading a day

message 14: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Hope you are going good Desley!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Well 70% into the first of the Instinct Series books,like the concept but a lot of formatting issues. Think I'll have to read a second to see if it was a one off. If I change to Ken McClure it means buying a book

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments I need a new series, the formatting issues are ruining it for me, I've been reading this all week I think and up to 14% despite sitting round for 2 hours today. I'm preferring my paperback

message 17: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Ouch, sounds awful!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments It is dire, yet the synopsis sounds great. Someone going on a long short flight was odd and some words don't even look like what they are supposed to be

message 19: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Eep! Just ruins an entire book if you can't read with good flow!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Another book down, very slow going this year though, partly due to poor book choices, and partly due to just being busy.

message 21: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I'm very slow too. Due to University guilty at the minute. The second I read for pleasure I feel so guilty I can't enjoy it

message 22: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I was the same at Uni, Elle! I hardly read a book the whole 4 years. Used to read all the Harry Potters over the summer though.

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I've been getting better in the last week or so! Less internet time (doing absolutely nothing) and more reading in bed - helps me get a better sleep.

How are you going Desley?

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Glad you've been doing better Elle. I'm still going really slowly, gave up on one classic and now attempting a second but not getting much time,life is jyst really hectic

message 25: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments It really is!!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments According to my books, I've read 7 this year, and 2 on the go. Better than I thought

message 27: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Going strong!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Finally read both books I had on the go, so think I've read 9.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments I have a foster cat coming that needs peace and quiet, so should be able to read quite a bit the next couple of weeks, might be able to catch up on my target

message 30: by Desley (Cat fosterer) (last edited Apr 28, 2013 03:10AM) (new)

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments No longer any peace at my house, although I do get to read while having to supervise three feeds a day.

Finished Ash, so that takes my total up to 10 for this year. Might have to read a couple of shorts to make up for it. The book I'm currently reading is nothing like I expected.

I was in a local bookshop yesterday and saw two Odd Thomas Books, so I'm going to read the 4 I have (he has published another two since though!!) as my series challenge.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Also finished Nursing Home, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

Now about to start Body Farm by Melissa Farrar, fortunately it is a short read, as I am 4 books behind!!

message 32: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments If that's the same 1 I read it's very short and not the best but it's short enough that it didn't matter

message 33: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments How are things Desley?

message 34: by Desley (Cat fosterer) (last edited May 19, 2013 02:20PM) (new)

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Not very well unfortunately. Thought body farm had promise fir further ideas. Finally finished Odd Thomas, now starting the second. I'm cat sitting pretty much for the next fortnight, but Am hoping to read a bit more, as I don't know How to work my friends TV, so Am reading while spending time with her cats, and might do the same next week.

Just noticed I said I'd read 12 paperbacks. Am on the 6th so fairly on track but needs to change author once I've read this, 5 thick depressing books shouldn't be read af once, even though I'm reading on the kindle too

How are you doing?

message 35: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I haven't touched a non-university book in... 4 weeks?

I am excited to pick up my Kindle tomorrow. So excited. I have high hopes for a fun Summer reading!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Poor you. Enjoy your summer reading

message 37: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Thanks :)!

message 38: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "I haven't touched a non-university book in... 4 weeks?

I am excited to pick up my Kindle tomorrow. So excited. I have high hopes for a fun Summer reading!"

Elle!!! That's the most dreadful thing I've heard all day!!!

message 39: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments It's been a depressing time!!

message 40: by Desley (Cat fosterer) (last edited May 28, 2013 05:55AM) (new)

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments I'm confused, one part of my shelf says I've read 15, one says 16 - I'm still 4 behind either way though!!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments HAve now read 17 books, still 3 behind.

message 42: by Elle (last edited Jun 02, 2013 06:40AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Going good though! I'm 1 behind in my challenge

message 43: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I'm slowly getting behind on my challenge too. Think I'm about 5 behind

message 44: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I've caught up now (thanks to two short books. *coughs*)

message 45: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I'm 6 behind! I need to get reading!

message 46: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Go Jud, GO!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments Good luck Jud, short stories could be our savior, although I wanted some nice long boks to get my teeth into

message 48: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I'm working up to re-reading Game of Thrones. I finished my Agatha Christie and marked the Jack the Ripper book as read cause I'm not going to read it anymore but might go back to it at some point. So I'm only 4 behind now. :o)

message 49: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Nice one :)! And GoT will take so much time you'll nede a few shorts :P

message 50: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I like the Agatha Christie ones, a lot them I could read in a day if I gave myself the time.

Anyway I'm taking over your challenge thread Desley! I should go and haunt my own.

« previous 1