Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Team Captains: Issues/Alerts/Discussions (A place for them to communicate.) Round I

Comments Showing 1-50 of 247 (247 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 05, 2013 01:17PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
A place for Team Captains to post alerts, and communicate with moderators.

◈ You will need to elect a Team Captain whose duties include: communicating with all
    team members, making sure you have the correct number of members (not too many
    or too few - and they belong on your team), posting weekly status updates/reminders,
    and dealing with minor issues that arise. You may rotate this duty.

◈ If you would like to decide on a Team Name, certainly feel free to do so!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 24, 2013 11:58AM) (new)

TEAM CAPTAINS: Please note that under your team's letter on the challenge box it indicates the number of participants. There will be one extra person, as the Moderators of NBRC - in order to "view community" - have joined, too.

Important: I updated Post #105 .

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 03, 2013 07:32PM) (new)

JoLene wrote: "Can I ask, what are the duties of the Team Captain?? Since GR will be doing the tallying, what are our status reports?"
(view spoiler)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 03, 2013 11:57AM) (new)

Team A - to challenge from NBRC Home Page.

Name: The "A" Team .

Team Captain: Mary
Team Co-Captain: Sonia

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 03, 2013 08:14PM) (new)

[image error]

Team B - to challenge from NBRC Home Page.

Name: Best Book Brigade

Team Captain: Zara
Team Back-up-Captain: Stefani

message 6: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 03, 2013 06:30PM) (new)

Team C - to challenge from NBRC Home Page.

Name: C Us Win!

Team Co-Captains: Karen, Vikki, and Tanya

message 7: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 08, 2013 03:19PM) (new)

Team D - to challenge from NBRC Home Page.

Name: Dangerously Determined to Devour All Books

Team Captain: Rebecca
Team Co-Captain: Rachel
Team Co-Captain: Leslie
Team Co-Captain: Vi

message 8: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved.

message 9: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (mrsreads) | 50 comments Hi Moderators...I'm online and saw that you needed to talk to the co-captains from Team C?

message 10: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Yes, I'm going to PM you. Thanks!

message 11: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments For Team B, Zara is the Team Captain. I am back up captain, in case Zara needs help.

And I am pretty sure you are correct with the name, Book Brigade.

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Thanks, Stefani!

message 13: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments No problem!

message 14: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 03, 2013 03:54PM) (new)

I actually knew Zara was Captain, Stefani. However, I had the box coded wrong...just one little missing " was all it took. But thanks...I thought I was loosing my mind, thinking, "But, I put that info in there." LOL! Time for a break. I'll be off-line for a while. My kitchen is a disaster! LOL!

~LK

message 15: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments How would you prefer us to handle books that are less than 170 pages? The book is in ebook format on GR. I found a PB version at Amazon and Barnes & Noble showing 166 pages. Should we just PM the person? Thanks!

message 16: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Yes, Rebecca. Just PM the person. If they can find an alternate hard copy that is 170 pages, I'll add that to the GRs database.

Thanks!

message 17: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Fabulous! Thanks for the quick response.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 03, 2013 06:52PM) (new)

from team C ! I just checked in my thread that you needed to talk to the co-captains?

message 19: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

That is alright, Karen. Tanya took care of it. I don't know how, but I've too much on my plate right now to find out what magic she preformed...though, I would be curious to know...eventually. LOL!

message 20: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 03, 2013 07:19PM) (new)

I'm noticing a delay of about 1/2 hour in the total count in each team's challenges...before it updates. Anyone else noticing that?

I can count up the number of books from the list...but it isn't reflected in the number at the top.

message 21: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Yes - and it is so annoying :) I have been using the total count as reference and checking the individual to count. Providing the total is less than, not more, I know that it will catch up.

message 22: by Rebecca NJ (last edited Jan 03, 2013 07:25PM) (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Just so you know, (although our group has until 10 PM tomorrow to say no), it does look like I will be Captain and Rachel will be Co-Captain - although I would prefer both of us to be Captains. We might be adding 1 or 2 more as we get a hang of this.

message 23: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Okay, Rebeccca. Thanks for letting me know.

message 24: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Woohoo! Team A is the first one to have all their members signed into the challenge on the Home Page. Congrats, Mary. I know this is due in large part to all your nagging hard work.

message 25: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (mrsreads) | 50 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "Woohoo! Team A is the first one to have all their members signed into the challenge on the Home Page. Congrats, Mary. I know this is due in large part to all your nagging hard work."

Crikies - I didn't realize this was a problem. How do I tell who is and isn't signed into the challenge? :)

message 26: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 03, 2013 10:28PM) (new)

I would NOT say this is a "problem," Tanya. Some people will sign up when they finish their first book. It is more reassuring; especially to us moderators. It let's us know that all the Team Members know what they are doing and don't need any help.

How to tell a Team Member has signed up. In the sign-up thread, and Post #3 of each Team's discussion thread, you will see that each Team Member who has signed up will have a hyperlink to their own challenge page, where they can view their books. Note: Some members have private accounts that can only be viewed by friends.

I've been on top of checking, for the most part, and adding the hyperlinks diligently. In case I haven't gotten to some yet, you can see who has signed up by scrolling down - past community - on the challenge page and seeing all the Team Members. Those who are your friends will be listed first.

message 27: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (mrsreads) | 50 comments Okay...phew! I was about to add one more thing to my to-do list! :) I'll keep an eye out for anyone that hasn't signed in by the beginning of next week.

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "Woohoo! Team A is the first one to have all their members signed into the challenge on the Home Page. Congrats, Mary. I know this is due in large part to all your nagging hard work."

Heh, nagging. Now if only my nagging about the rules would sink in. I'm finding books started before January 1st, or books with too few pages, and I'm having to enlist help just to go through them all. Our book total will sadly begin to decrease as PMs get sent out (whenever I can get to them) and people untag the books that are ineligible.

message 29: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Yes, Tanya, next week should be good for making sure everyone is checked in.

~LK

message 30: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 04, 2013 06:27AM) (new)

Yeah, I've sent out a couple, Mary, and they haven't removed the book yet. But, most have, of the ones I sent.

~LK

message 31: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Captains!

We've been having a few problems with start dates, depending on how the person "tagged" their books as "read." Refer to FAQs #16 (and #15).

message 32: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 04, 2013 07:37AM) (new)

By the way, Team C. I sent out all the notices for page count and start dates for your team. (As of this date/time.)

Mary did Team A.

Just leaves Team B & D.

message 33: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments For Team D, I am on top of the page numbers for everything posted as of 6 AM this morning. Regarding the issue I mentioned yesterday, that member was to be in contact with you about her page numbers. I have requested another person to join our Captain team to look at dates. Once they confirm, I'll give you our complete Captain team.

message 34: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Thanks, Rebecca. Yes, I'm doing the back and forth PM with "that person." LOL! I almost have it resolved.

Thanks!

message 35: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "Thanks, Rebecca. Yes, I'm doing the back and forth PM with "that person." LOL! I almost have it resolved.

Thanks!"

I appreciate it.

message 36: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Seems like the switch over in years messed with the dates. I specifically put my date in on one of the books I read. I decided to QA myself - and NO date. LOL!

message 37: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Stefani wrote: "For Team B, Zara is the Team Captain. I am back up captain, in case Zara needs help.

And I am pretty sure you are correct with the name, Book Brigade."

The Team Name is:
Best Book Brigade

message 38: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments I know that there has always been a glitch in GR with the first of each month being marked as Jan 2013 with no dates.

I am running though my Team quickly for the dates and see that there are "Read on January 1" and "Read in January 1".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Read on" the members have clearly entered a start and finish date. The "Read in" means that the did not enter start dates, correct? If yes, I will contact them and ask them to either honesly add a start date or remove the book from the totals.

I have a list of people I need to PM tonight when I get home from work where the books were started before 1/1/13. So as of this point, I would say that Team D is "under control."

message 39: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments You know, Rebecca, I don't know the answer to that the differentiation - "on" and "in."

I'd say, with either, to let it ride and not bother.

Does everyone know how to use "shelf settings" to turn on page numbers or "date read"?

If not, Shelf Setting Visible Columns is helpful.

message 40: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Zara wrote: "The Team Name is: Best Book Brigade"

Check. Changed it yesterday.

message 41: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

All in all, it has gone pretty smoothly, considering it is our first group challenge.

We have only had two people log into a challenge without going to the sign-up thread first (and, thus, balancing the numbers). One of these was resolved quickly, the other still needs to be straighten out. (But, they signed up for only 15 books.) Pretty good, considering we have 2,650 members!

GRs had some hiccups. Usually if you change a book from "currently reading" on your Home Page to "I'm finished," it does the dates right. Something went a little hinkey with the year change over.

I'll be asking for input of how to improve things at the start; but, not until it is all over. So, if you want to take notes... LOL!

Of course, if you have ideas now - for current issues - I'm open for suggestions.

message 42: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10396 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "You know, Rebecca, I don't know the answer to that the differentiation - "on" and "in."

I'd say, with either, to let it ride and not bother.

Does everyone know how to use "shelf settings" to t..."

Yep, it is a quite useful tool. Thank you LK :o)

message 43: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Sure, Sonia! ☺

message 44: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I still haven't heard from the two people that signed up for one of the challenges without going through the Sign-In thread.

(Yes, one was resolved, but someone else has done it. So, I added the to the Home Page.)

Not big book counts (15 & 50), but I'm trying to balance the anticipated totals for each group.

Just to clarify, I will not be adding members to groups that are behind.

message 45: by Rebecca NJ (last edited Jan 05, 2013 08:34AM) (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments How do we handle sitations where the member has now blocked messages and is not accepting friend requests? I was able to message this person yesterday to tell them that their book was started before 1/1/13.

Thanks!

EDIT - She just removed herself from the challenge.

EDIT 2 - She's still there...I just had a blonde moment. Still can't message or friend request tho.

message 46: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Rebecca wrote: "EDIT - She just removed herself from the challenge."

Rebecca, can you PM me with who that was, so I can remove her from my lists. I could do a comparison...but, that is time consuming.

message 47: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Oh...just saw your second edit.

A question first, can you see her bookshelves?

message 48: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments I can't see anything anymore. I'll PM you with her info. Thanks!

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

There is more of an issue with the start dates than I was anticipating, especially with the GRs mess up. Seems, depending on how someone "tags" their book as read, it picks up the 'add' date instead. However, if the 'add' date is different than the 'start date' (and still before January 1st), I would question it.

~LK

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

I'm thinking of changing the title of this thread to "Issues/Problems/Alerts for Team Captains" and making another thread for "Status Updates."

Any objections?

~LK

« previous 1 3 4 5