Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Rules & How To.../Round I

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 15, 2013 04:57PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
                                                                      ~Tower Teams~
                                                            First to Read 2,013 Books

Goal: The first team to reach 2013 books read, wins! Then the team challenge starts over again.

When: Starts January 1, 2013 and goes until the first team reaches 2,013 books read.

How: We will take all the people who sign up and divide them equally into groups, taking into account the number of books they read in 2012, but otherwise we will be using a "ramdomizer" to assign. When you go to the sign-up thread, PLEASE INDICATE the NUMBER of BOOKS you read in 2012. (Just to even out the teams. Thanks!)

Add-ons: If you didn't sign-up in time, you can be added through-out the competition, as soon as there are an equal number of players for all teams. For example: If there are four teams, it is February, teams have yet to reach 2013, and you want to join the game. You only have to wait until three more players want to join, then we'll allow all four of you to join.

Special Note: In the example above, once there are an even number of players added to all teams, the new players are allowed to mark those books read during the specified dates before they were officially members. (i.e. From January 1st onward, if that is the reading date range. This date range could change, if we are doing a second round.)

◈ Books must be >170 pages. I found several items on the Internet that say
    200 location numbers on a Kindle are equivalent to 10 - 11 pages. When NO
    hardback or paperback editions are available for reverence, covert with the
    lower number.

◈ Audio books are allowed. (For page numbers, audiobooks should be compared
    to the paper edition.)

◈ No graphic novels. (Sorry.)

◈ Any genre counts.

◈ "Re-reads" will be allowed, if it has been a year since you have read the book.
    This includes listening to the audio version, if you've already read the book.

◈ Please wait to be told to which team you are assigned.

◈ Any book in any language will count, as long as it meets the criteria.

◈ You must join the group challenge on the Home Page of NBRC. This involves
    adding a special bookshelf to your personal GRs bookshelves. If you
    don't know how to do so, go to Join a Featured Group Challenge , under the
    GoodReads 101 Folder, and follow the instructions.

Helpful Tip: Knowing about Sticky Shelves may help you put your assigned
    bookshelf near the top of your dropdown box.

◈ You will need to elect a Team Captain whose duties include: communicating with
    all team members, making sure you have the correct number of members (not too
    many or too few - and they belong on your team), posting weekly status
    updates/reminders, and dealing with minor issues that arise.You may rotate this
    duty.

◈ When a team reaches 2,013, we will change the end date of the challenge. The first
    team to post - regardless of the other team eventually posting more books - wins.
    We'll check to see who places.

Special Note: Due to the challenge's set reading date parameters, you can NOT sign up on the Home Page until January 1st. However, if you desire, you can assign a bookshelf. Until then, go here to sign-up in that thread.

[image error][image error][image error][image error]

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved.

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 28, 2012 09:11PM) (new)

Done.

message 4: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "                                                                      ~Tower Teams~
                                                            First to Read 2,013 Books

Goal: The first team to re..."

The 2013 reading limit is that per person or per group with each member's total of books helping towards the final 2013 figure?

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 28, 2012 11:02PM) (new)

Zara, each group is trying to get to 2,013 books read first. Since the two teams are posted on the Home Page of NBRC, each group's total will be calculated by GRs separately.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

are re-reads allowed?

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I am having trouble, I don't see the fill ins on the home page and I already created my personal shelf. I have no idea what sticky shelves are.

message 8: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~♥ Kat ♥~ wrote: "are re-reads allowed?"

After a mod discussion, "re-reads" will be allowed, if it has been a year since you have read the book. This includes listening to the audio version, if you already read the book.

message 9: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:27AM) (new)

Laura wrote: "I am having trouble, I don't see the fill ins on the home page and I already created my personal shelf. I have no idea what sticky shelves are."

Laura, go to my personal bookshelves and look along the right hand column. Do you see two entitled *2012-in-2012-group-challenge and *on-deck-for-challenges? See how they are out of alphabetical order? Well, those are "sticky shelves, b/c I made them so. To learn how to do them, refer to the link above.

When your dropdown box appears, while you are updating your shelves, they will appear near the top. Thus, you don't have to scroll all the way down to it.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Ahh Okay. So will I only be able to do the fill ins to join the group challenge once the groups have been assigned?

message 11: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Laura wrote: "Ahh Okay. So will I only be able to do the fill ins to join the group challenge once the groups have been assigned?"

Yes, you will be able to do so on January 1st. Please wait until you are assigned; however, I believe I'll be posting teams on the 31st. ☺

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 29, 2012 07:03AM) (new)

Mary wrote: "Ok dumb questions: I just made a 2013 in 2013 shelf. Did I make it too early? And how does goodreads know which team to put each players books on? Do we all have to have the same shelf name on ou..."

Nope, not dumb questions, Mary. And, no, it isn't too early to do your shelf. However, as I told Laura, GRs won't let you sign-up until the 1st. Also, there are two challenges there; one for Team A and one for Team B. I'll let you know which one to go to to sign-up. You don't want to sign-up for the opposing team! They'll get credit for your books! Eep!

You can have any shelf name you want; all team members do NOT all have to have the same. Also, if you do other group challenges though-out GRs, you can use that shelf name again. ☺

In otherwords, your 2013-in-2013 would work fine.

message 13: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments Gotcha thanks!

message 14: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "~♥ Kat ♥~ wrote: "are re-reads allowed?"

After a mod discussion, "re-reads" will be allowed, if it has been a year since you have read the book. This includes listening to the audio version, if y..."

Does it have to be a full year exactly or is just last year okay?

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna Wolczyk | 75 comments I would like to join this challenge!! I need to go figure out how to make a "shelf". Hopefully, if I run into problems someone will be able to help me.

message 16: by Mary C (last edited Dec 29, 2012 05:02PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments It's easy to make a shelf. Go to your bookshelves and hit the edit button on top where it lists all your shelves. Way at the bottom of the edit page (why can't they put it on top?) there is an add a shelf box. There are also all kinds of editing buttons so you can make shelves exclusive (books will only be on that shelf), make some sticky so they go on top of your list, set it to give you recs on certain shelves etc.., You can also rename and delete whole shelves from this page.

Or you can go to a specific book and when you rate/review it and add it to your "read" shelf, you can create a new shelf there.

message 17: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Nairabell wrote: "Does it have to be a full year exactly or is just last year okay?"

Just a "guess-ta-mate" of what you read in 2012 is fine, Nairabell. For those people who were in the main GRs challenge, I just looked at their total.

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Donna wrote: "I would like to join this challenge!! I need to go figure out how to make a "shelf". Hopefully, if I run into problems someone will be able to help me."

Do you still have any questions, Donna? I'll be glad to help.

~LK

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna Wolczyk | 75 comments Thank you, I think I did it right. I named it 201-in-2013. If I understand correctly, I need to wait until the Jan. 1st to sign up as to how many books I think I will read in 2013, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to list on my bookshelf the books I will (or want to) read. I can always look at other profiles to see if I'm doing it right. I do apologize, I still don't quite have the hang of this site, but I am learning. I'm just a little slower at it!! :)

message 20: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Donna, I think once you are able to log into the challenge on NBRC Home Page, a lot of your questions will be answered.

GoodReads will automatically post your books for you. You do NOT need to list the books you are planning on reading. Nevertheless, you may (only if you like), discuss them in your group's thread.

To see an example, you can view mine, which are for the Main GRs challenge and NOT a group challenge, go here .

And no need to apologize. One day you'll be helping someone else out. ☺

~LK

message 21: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "Nairabell wrote: "Does it have to be a full year exactly or is just last year okay?"

Just a "guess-ta-mate" of what you read in 2012 is fine, Nairabell. For those people who were in the main GRs ..."

I meant for the re-reads to count. Sorry for not being clearer. I know there are a few books I read last year that I'll definitely be rereading this year, but some might not have an exact years gap.

message 22: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Nairabell wrote: "I meant for the re-reads to count. Sorry for not being clearer. I know there are a few books I read last year that I'll definitely be rereading this year, but some might not have an exact years gap."

Okay, maybe not exactly 365 days, but within the anniversary month.

message 23: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "Nairabell wrote: "I meant for the re-reads to count. Sorry for not being clearer. I know there are a few books I read last year that I'll definitely be rereading this year, but some might not have ..."

Ok thank you :)

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments This is very interesting but I'm a VERY slow reader. I only read about 30 books this year so I would be no help to any team I'm on. Guess I'll skip this one

message 25: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

There are several readers that read less than that, Melissa. Saw you did join. Super! Added you.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments yeah I went and peeked over there and was happy to see other slow readers like me :)

message 27: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 28: by Rebecca Kent (new)

Rebecca Kent | 9 comments add me. im becoming more active

message 29: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 30, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Rebecca wrote: "add me. im becoming more active"

Done, Rebecca. What is your bookcount for 2012? Replied here.

message 30: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 28 comments Count me in!

message 31: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Danielle wrote: "Count me in!"

Sure, Danielle. Replied to you here.

message 32: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 53 comments OOH, OOH, OOH, ME, ME, ME!!!

message 33: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

LMBO!

message 34: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments Donna you wouldn't want to put books on the shelf you made for this until you read them. Otherwise it will count them before you read them.

message 35: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 30, 2012 06:42PM) (new)

It really doesn't matter, Donna & Mary, other than your own internal housekeeping. GRs has set it up so that the program looks at the dates of the challenge set by the challenge creator. We set the dates for January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013. However, it will only display those books that you indicated (tag) with your bookshelf as read during that time. By this, I mean what is display on the challenge view screen, not what you would see going into your own personal bookshelves.

As soon as one team reaches 2013, we will go in and change that end date. Then, if people are interested, we will set up Round II, designating new date parameters.

message 36: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments Oh so if you add books to the shelf and keep them to-be-read it won't add them to the count until you mark them as read? Good to know.

message 37: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Yes, you could do that, Mary.

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but how do we link our new shelf up with the challenge?

message 39: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 30, 2012 09:01PM) (new)

Ashley, after you are told which team you are on, and after midnight on January 1st, you go to that challenge and fill in the blank fields.

There are NOT many. Just your goal and your shelf name. If your bookshelf has more than two words, be sure to put a hyphen between them.

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments How many people are we up to now? I've never seen a challenge with so many people eager to join.

message 41: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Melissa wrote: "How many people are we up to now? I've never seen a challenge with so many people eager to join."

Melissa, as of right this minute, and NOT counting me, I believe we have 120 people wanting to play.

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments wow that is a great turnout!

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments I don't know if this has been asked but I'm sure it probably falls along with rereads. What about books we started but set aside? Would it count if we started from the beginning again?

message 44: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Yes, if you started it after January 1st, put it down for a while, and then you pick it back up and finished, it would count. No, if you started it before January 1st.

message 45: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges wrote: "Melissa wrote: "How many people are we up to now? I've never seen a challenge with so many people eager to join."

Melissa, as of right this minute, and NOT counting me, I believe we have 120 peopl..."

Wow, we might need like 4 teams at this rate lol.

message 46: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Stefani wrote: "Wow, we might need like 4 teams at this rate lol."

Tell me about it, Stefani! I'm having to reconfigure. But, it is neat and exciting. ☺

message 47: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I think there should be 4 teams as well. It wouldn't be as challenging with 60+ people on two teams.

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments I agree 4 teams would make it more of a challenge

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

In the process of setting up a fourth team. ☺

message 50: by Sashana (new)

Sashana *Throws Confetti* Yay!

« previous 1 3