Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > I have cast a spell compelling you to leave at least one interesting quote per magic book that you read this month.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
It's really not that hard. No need to expend a lot of energy or come up with a good spell, just copy one of your favorite quotes from your book here. If you don't, I will be forced to turn your nose into a potato.....Or something.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

From Eragon pg. 131

"Who could have done..." He could not force out the words.

Brom bowed his head. "Those who love the pain and suffering of others. They wear many faces and go by many disguises, but there is only one name for them: evil. There is no understanding it. All we can do is pity and honor the victims."

message 3: by Darci (new)

Darci (luminique) | 32 comments From The Name of the Wind:

“The best lies about me are the ones I told.”

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3406 comments Mod
from Akata Witch, p. 46:

The wild waters beneath it boiled and churned.

"Only truth will allow you across," Orlu said.
"Every time," Chichi added.
"So you've crossed that?" Sunncy cried. "It's so flimsy! The thing doesn't even look like it's --" She stopped talking and just stared at it.

message 5: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8465 comments Mod
Darci wrote: "From The Name of the Wind:

“The best lies about me are the ones I told.”"

Oh I loved that! I've been hearing really good things about Rothfuss, I should really read his stuff soon!

message 6: by Susan (new)

from Neverwhere, p. 47:

"Can I ask a question?" said Richard.
"Certainly not," said the marquis. "You don't ask any questions. You don't get any answers. You don't stray from the path. You don't even think about what's happening to you right now. Got it?" ...

Richard wondered where they were. This didn't seem to be a sewer. Perhaps it was a tunnel for telephone cables, or for very small trains. Or for ... something else.

message 7: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1589 comments From Sabriel p46

'I am only eighteen years old on the outside,' she said, touching her palm against her breast with an almost wistful motion, 'But I first walked in Death when I was twelve. I encountered a Fifth Gate Rester when I was fourteen, and banished it beyond the Ninth Gate. When I was sixteen I stalked and banished a Mordicant that came near the school. A weakened Mordicant, but still ... A year ago, I turned the final page of The book of the Dead. I don't feel young anymore.'

message 8: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1589 comments From Bitterblue p47

It seemed a strange little thing to lie about, and not important enough for it to matter if Darby had gotten the records wrong. And yet, it unsettled her. Darby's eyes as he blinked at her, yellow and green, efficient and certain as he gave her incorrect information, unsettled her. She found herself tracing her mind back through all the recent things Darby had told her, wondering if he was the type to lie.

message 9: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8465 comments Mod
From Playing Beatie Bow page 134

'Drowned off the Noup like his son Robert. Near nineteen, he was, like his grandson Judah Bow. Aye, the young can experience true love, and true sorrow, and true selflessness too.'

'I don't think I could,' faltered Abigail, 'be unselfish, I mean.'

Mrs Tallisker looked at her with something like scorn.

'If you love truly, you will also know how to live without the beloved, no matter whether you lose him to death or some other.'

message 10: by Susan (new)

from The Alchemist, p. 46:

"Before they came, we were nearly in balance. We could still cut back enough bramble to offset the bits of magic use. Even the bridge would have been acceptable. But the Alcaners are profligate with their magic, and now the bramble comes hard upon us. Their habits are crushing us. Everyone has some little magic that he or she believes is justified. And then when a bit of bramble roots in a neighbor's roof beams, who can say who caused it?"

message 11: by Susan (new)

from Ysabel, p. 46:

"No, listen. Um, it's April thirthieth on Thursday. Then May Day."

Kate was silent. He was wondering if he'd have to explain, then heard her say,"Jeez, Ned. Beltaine? That's a major deal. Ghosts and souls, like Halowe'en. How do you know this? You a closet nerd?"

"My mom's family's from Wales. My grandmother told me some of this stuff."

message 12: by Susan (new)

from The Magicians' Guild, p. 46:

Donia leaned closer and plucked at Sonea's hair. "Well, it's a bit lighter, but not that you'd see straight away." She signed. "It's not like we can cut it much shorter. But ..." she stepped back and shrugged. "If the magicians are out for a girl, like people are saying, they might not pick you, anyhow. You look like a boy with your hair like that, at least at the first look." She put her hands on her hips and stepped back. "Why'd you cut it so short, then?"

Sonea smiled. "So I look like a boy. I don't get hassled so much."

message 13: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 245 comments From Entwined, pg. 47:

At the mention of the King, the girls grew quiet. Flora raised a dainty finger, as though she were in lessons.

"Lea," she said. "Do you- do you think he meant it? When he said-"

"Of course not," said Azalea, giving her and her twin, Goldenrod, an encouraging smile. "He's just aggrieved. Like in one of Eve's storybooks."

"I don't know." Eve stared at her plate. "In storybooks the children call their father Papa."