Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2013-01 - Magic - What will you read in January?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8675 comments Mod
Here's hoping to a magical year in 2013!

What would your first reads be this coming year?

message 2: by Tien (new)

Lots of fantasy works on this shelf! There are a number of authors I love on this shelf too: Maria V. Snyder, Alison Goodman, Tamora Pierce, etc...

On the other hand, I've also just finished The Prestige if you're looking for something different...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2826 comments Mod
Maybe I will finally get at least one of the following books read:

Fire Study
The Night Circus
City of Glass
OR
Graceling

They have all been on my TBR forever

message 4: by Darci (new)

Darci (luminique) | 32 comments I bought The Night Circus recently and haven't gotten to it yet. January seems like a good time to finally crack it open!

message 5: by Bea (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:03PM) (new)

Bea | 4656 comments Mod
I only looked at the first page...but Storm Front was on there and also on my TBR, so I think I will try to get it read. Oh, and it is in my library's catalog. Hopefully available.

message 6: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1606 comments I intend to read
Sabriel
Bitterblue
Powers

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3449 comments Mod
Definitely Neverwhere since I did get my hands on it, but didn't get it read in December.

And one or more of:
The Magician's Guild
Wicked
A Game of Thrones
But they're all so long! I probably should use them for pages in the Forts game

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 2144 comments Days of Blood & Starlight and Storm Front are both on my TBR list, so I'll try to read those.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I've got it narrowed down, definitely going to read Dead Reckoning and Deadlocked to get that series finished.

Then I'm going to choose from:
Shadow of Night
The Rogue
The Hobbit
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

message 10: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments I only have like a million books that fit this category. Not sure of what'll read.

Funny thing...I have this book with witches which a person shelved in mystery (one of my shelves for Book-a-Fort) so I thought I could also read it for this...but nobody shelved it in Magic! Even though there are witches and fairies!!!

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3449 comments Mod
Has anyone read Born at Midnight, the first in the Shadows Falls series? It seems to get a lot of 5 star reviews as well as a lot of 1 star reviews. I almost never give a book 1 star, so those feel like a real warning to me. Otherwise, it looks like it could be a good series, even though the author seems to crank out two a year. Just wondering whether anyone hear has opinions about whether I should consider it for this month's shelf.

message 12: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 245 comments Wow, this is a shelf I could read from all year...

I only got Clockwork Angel read for December, so I think I'll continue and read Clockwork Prince.

I also have Entwined sitting beside my bed begging to be read :).

If I finish those and am looking for more, I'm thinking I'll either start the Iron Fey series (The Iron King) or A Game of Thrones. Choices, Choices :)

For those of you thinking to read Storm Front, that is the beginning book of my favorite series EVER!! I just read the new one, the 14th in the series and they just keep getting better and better.

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Maybe I'll continue the Dresden series this month. I wasn't too crazy about the first book but lots of my friends love it.

Haven't heard about that series, Susan.

message 15: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1643 comments Think I will read The Night Circus and a YA, The Goose Girl.

message 16: by Krait (last edited Jan 06, 2013 05:17PM) (new)

message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Once again, there really isn't anything on the shelf that appeals to me (or that I haven't already read). Y'all have fun...

message 18: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid | 0 comments There is so much that I want to read on this shelf. I'm going to start with Daughter of Smoke & Bone. I;m really excited for this shelf!!

message 19: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 44 comments I've sadly neglected reading and this group for far too long. For the new year I am going to rededicate myself to getting back in the groove. I am off to a good start on the reading portion as my vacation the last week finally allowed me some free time to read!!

I have a couple of these from the library now so I'll start with trying to finish at least one of those:
City of Bones
The Night Circus
Demonglass
The Last Olympian
Spirit Bound
Firelight

Looking forward to reading in the new year!!

message 20: by Rora (new)

Rora Great shelf, I love fantasy books. For now I think I will re-read some of the Harry Potter books. On my kindle I have Lord of the Fading Lands yet to read.

Happy New Year : )

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be reading Eragon Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini . I've seen the movie but have had the book on my TBR shelf for years. It's finally time to crack this one open. I'll also read A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin A Storm of Swords to get ready for the HBO show's new season this year.

Talia wrote: "I'll be reading Eragon Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini. I've seen the movie but have had the book on my TBR shelf for years. It's finally time to crack this one open. I'll also read [bookcover:A Storm..."

Talia - I thought the Eragon book was much better than the movie.

message 23: by Mindy (new)

Mindy | 87 comments I have quite a list of magic books that I own and some that sound interesting. In no particular order, they are:
White Cat
Shadow and Bone
Fate's Edge
Beautiful Redemption
Scent of Magic
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Gift of Magic
Dreamspinner
Priceless
and there are many more. We will just have to see how many I actually get to!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Lyn M wrote: Talia - I thought the Eragon book was much better than the movie.

Hi Lyn,
I just finished Eragon, and it's been a while since I saw the movie, so I kept picturing Lord of the Rings characters while I read it. LOL Oh well, I guess I'm ready to go see The Hobbit! I'll have to rewatch Eragon, but I did enjoy the book.

message 25: by Judith (new)

Judith I'm reading the entire Inheritance cycle (minus Eragon, since I have read it multiple times already but never got to finished the rest) this month! The books are progressively getting better, which is great.

message 26: by Tien (new)

Judith wrote: "I'm reading the entire Inheritance cycle (minus Eragon, since I have read it multiple times already but never got to finished the rest) this month! The books are progressively getting better, which..."

I think I've only read up to Brisingr although I bought Inheritance just before Christmas. The books are progressively thicker too!