The Challenge Factory discussion

2013 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > January Buddy Read Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Shellbelle , Sadly Missed (last edited Dec 28, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

Shellbelle  | 434 comments Mod
description

JANUARY BUDDY READ!
Duration: 1/1/13-1/30/13

Instructions and Info

Rules:
USE THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS AND DETERMINE WHO YOUR BUDDY WILL BE AND WHAT YOU WILL READ AND THEN YOU WILL USE THE FINAL SIGN UP THREAD (LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST) TO LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DECIDED. BASICALLY IT WILL BE THE SAME AS BEFORE....EXCEPT THAT YOU WILL POST YOUR BUDDY, YOURSELF, AND YOUR BOOK(S) If you are without a partner by the end of sign up I will match the remaining people up, so no worries...EVERYONE will have a buddy:-)

1.If you want to participate post your name and maybe let people know what genre(s) you are interested in reading.

2.If you already know who you’d like to read with, go to the Final Sign UP thread and post your information for me!

3.Whoever doesn’t have a partner, we will place with another person and you guys can pick a book together! If we have an odd number we can have groups of three, more people to discuss with!

4.I will create Buddy Discussion Threads for each Buddy group and you will be able to start reading and discussing on January 1st!

5.The challenge will span a month.

6.For each group we can set up a thread so the two of you can discuss without having to sift through a bunch of other conversation. But please leave us updates as to how far along you guys are and how you’re liking the book!

7.You CAN sign up for more than one Buddy Read...in fact it's encouraged! And I'm giving a full month just for reading this time around so it will give you more time for more books!!!

ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK!

Once you've found a book & a buddy go to the Final Sign Up and post a link to your book & who you'll be reading it with.

message 2: by Shellbelle , Sadly Missed (new)

Shellbelle  | 434 comments Mod

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments I will do a buddy read or more than one if needed....
So far I am planning on reading Everneath (Everneath, #1) by Brodi Ashton Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1) by Kristen Ashley Once Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 4: by Jamie (last edited Dec 28, 2012 11:12AM) (new)

Jamie Dubois i will do a buddy read if anybody is interested. there are a bunch that a lot of people already probably read but here are a few i was planning on starting this month:

Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1) by Bethany Griffin Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments jamie i'll do Glass Houses

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dubois sounds good Melissa! I'll sign us up :)

message 7: by ~Melissa~ (last edited Dec 28, 2012 11:38AM) (new)

~Melissa~ | 5014 comments Sue wrote: "I will do a buddy read or more than one if needed"

Sue do you want to try to do Jekyll, an Urban Fantasy (Hyde Book II) by Lauren Stewart the last week of the month? I have a lot in the beginning but I know I won't put off reading it too long once I get it,lol

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments Ok Melissa ...28 work for you?

message 9: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Can I join y'all for Jekyll?

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments Sure you can Jenne ,the more the better.....does the 28th work for you?

message 11: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments That's fine I already own it :)

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments Me too just bought it..... But I got a few in front of it to read....

message 13: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16186 comments Mod
Hi everyone. Just lurking right now...but I'll look through my TBR pile

message 14: by ╰⊱♥⊱╮ღ꧁Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie꧂ღ╭⊱♥≺ (last edited Dec 28, 2012 12:31PM) (new)

╰⊱♥⊱╮ღ꧁Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie꧂ღ╭⊱♥≺ (mamabear7080) Hey EZ!

Shell, Nanna and I are in again! We will be reading, something, LOL I cant remember the name!!! Hahaha will come back with that!
edit! Master of the Mountain (Mountain Masters, #1) by Cherise Sinclair

message 15: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5014 comments *Squeal*...happy dance for Jekyll, an Urban Fantasy (Hyde Book II) by Lauren Stewart . I'll put us three on the final sign up if we aren't there yet!!

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments Hi Ez, Kathy , Nanna and Shell !!!

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris | 1095 comments Thanks Melissa !!!!

message 18: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments I also have Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman Blood Wager (Blood Destiny #1) by Connie Suttle on my radar for next month.

message 19: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Oh yeah and The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Johnson (herphoenixloveshard) Hello! I am new to the group. To make sure that I understand correctly, my buddy and I will be reading the same book?

message 21: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments That's right! You can list some books you're interested in, or if you see one that someone has already mentioned then offer to buddy up, and or post what type genres you usually read.

message 22: by Harri (new)

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments I'd like to actually get a buddy this month!

The ones I'll be definitely reading in January are
Darke (Septimus Heap, #6) by Angie Sage A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle War With the Newts by Karel Čapek The Flight of the Heron by D.K. Broster Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
But I read anything, if I can get my hands on it. :P

╰⊱♥⊱╮ღ꧁Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie꧂ღ╭⊱♥≺ (mamabear7080) Danielle wrote: "Hello! I am new to the group. To make sure that I understand correctly, my buddy and I will be reading the same book?"

Great to see you showing an interest, Danielle!
You and your partner will be given your own thread to discuss your book. Here is a link to mine and Nanna's last buddy read, we read Obsidian.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
We've been doing buddy reads for ages, and always read together, but we gossip about allsorts at the same time. We dont have a system, so we just read the book as it suits us. Some couples read a chapter or two at a time,then discuss it. Its completely up to each couple as to how they do it.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments Hester I don't have room to do two buddy reads this month but next month if you are reading any Sherlock Holmes books I'm in. Hubby and I are currently watching the BBC series so I'm obsessing a bit on Sherlock.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments Hester I take it back. Looking at the page count for A Study in Scarlet I can fit it in. That's only 27 pages a week.

message 26: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

♥☆♫★ Kathy,bahd gihrl♥★aka Drama Queen wrote: "Hey EZ!

Shell, Nanna and I are in again! We will be reading, something, LOL I cant remember the name!!! Hahaha will come back with that!
edit! Master of the Mountain (Mountain Masters, #1) by Cherise Sinclair"

I LOVE THAT BOOK!!!
Tell me when you do Club Shadowlands and I'm game!

ps. Joined the states game :)~)

message 27: by Harri (new)

Harri (books_and_tea) | 115 comments Yay :) That sounds great, Melissa. I'm doing the Sherlock Holmes series challenge, so I'll probably do another one next month as well. xD Can we sign up now?

╰⊱♥⊱╮ღ꧁Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie꧂ღ╭⊱♥≺ (mamabear7080) Hester wrote: "Yay :) That sounds great, Melissa. I'm doing the Sherlock Holmes series challenge, so I'll probably do another one next month as well. xD Can we sign up now?"

OK EZ>
Hester. If you have your partner and book, just say who and what here, and Shell will make your thread in time to start on 1st.

message 29: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5014 comments Jenne wrote: "I also have Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob ThurmanBlood Wager (Blood Destiny #1) by Connie Suttle on my radar for next month."

Jenne I can do Blood Wager (Blood Destiny #1) by Connie Suttle with you if you want. Are you doing the series read?

message 30: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments I'm seeing how I like the first one Melissa before I decide lol. Ill sign us up :)

message 31: by Barbara ★ (last edited Dec 28, 2012 04:00PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 1873 comments I'm new to the group and planning on reading some books outside my comfort zone in 2013 so I'm hoping someone will give me the incentive to actually read some of these books. I threw in a few fun ones too! Anyone want to join me?

Antarctica by Kim Stanley Robinson The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime, #1) by Jasper Fforde Cayman Cowboys by Eric L. Douglas Hungry As The Sea by Wilbur A. Smith Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Master of Shadows (Mageverse, #8) by Angela Knight Midnight Rain by Holly Lisle Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3) by Jaci Burton A Trip to the Beach Living on Island Time in the Caribbean by Melinda Blanchard Zugzwang by Ronan Bennett

message 32: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Hi Barbara,
You have some great choices and I'm sure you will get a buddy soon. Welcome to the Buddy read thread, it's fun!

I would like to drink alcohol off that guys abs...or something else (snickering)!!
Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3) by Jaci Burton

message 33: by Michele (new)

Michele (giantsequoia) Hi! I've been lurking for a few months. This is my first post. My name is Michele and I'm looking for a buddy. I primarily read fiction (generally, if Oprah picked it, I probably like it).

message 34: by Rebecca (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:00PM) (new)

Rebecca (bexlibris) Michele wrote: "Hi! I've been lurking for a few months. This is my first post. My name is Michele and I'm looking for a buddy. I primarily read fiction (generally, if Oprah picked it, I probably like it)."

This is my first post too (I am a lurker).

Barbara ★ wrote: "I'm new to the group and planning on reading some books outside my comfort zone in 2013 so I'm hoping someone will give me the incentive to actually read some of these books. I threw in a few fun o..."

Hi, as I said I am new to this so just tell me if I am doing this wrong but I have had Leviathan on my TBR list for while...

message 35: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5014 comments Jenne wrote: "I'm seeing how I like the first one Melissa before I decide lol. Ill sign us up :)"

Sounds good. I bought the first couple of them ~ hope I like them,lol.

message 36: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:42PM) (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5374 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "I will do a buddy read or more than one if needed....
So far I am planning on...

I have Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane on my list for 2013, wanna pair up for that? :)

╰⊱♥⊱╮ღ꧁Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie꧂ღ╭⊱♥≺ (mamabear7080) WOW!! Great to see new names joining in! Welcome!!
We dont bite!
Shell will be around to sort out your partners, if you dont have one, and get you organised.

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 353 comments Hester wrote: "I'd like to actually get a buddy this month!

Darke (Septimus Heap, #6) by Angie SageA Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1) by Arthur Conan DoyleWar With the Newts by Karel Čapek[..."

Hester and Melissa, I'm reading[book:A Study in Scarlet|102868] and I'd love to join you if i can

message 39: by Ashley (last edited Dec 28, 2012 06:55PM) (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 353 comments Barbara ★ wrote: "I'm new to the group and planning on reading some books outside my comfort zone in 2013 so I'm hoping someone will give me the incentive to actually read some of these books. I threw in a few fun o..."

Hi Barbara, I want to read Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

Also Melissa and Hester, I'll be reading
A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle for the Sherlock Holmes challenge as well

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments Ashley I went to the final sign up and added your name

message 41: by Marla (new)

Marla | 789 comments Ashley wrote: "Hester wrote: "Hester and Melissa, I'm readingA Study in Scarlet and I'd love to join you if i can

..."

Can I read A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle with all of you too?

message 42: by ~*~JenJenBoBin (last edited Dec 28, 2012 08:40PM) (new)

~*~JenJenBoBin (readerroo) Anyone want to Buddy Read any of these?
Sins of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #8) by Sherrilyn Kenyon & Unleash the Night (Dark-Hunter, #9; Were-Hunter, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Last Kiss Goodnight (Otherworld Assassin, #1) by Gena Showalter On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1) by Samantha Young Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1) by K.A. Tucker The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski or The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay (YA)

If your interested let me know :)

message 43: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Dec 28, 2012 08:48PM) (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Anyone want to Buddy Read any of these?
Sins of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #8) by Sherrilyn Kenyon& Unleash the Night (Dark-Hunter, #9; Were-Hunter, #4) by Sherrilyn KenyonLast Kiss Goodnight (Otherworld Assassin, #1) by Gena ShowalterOn Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1) by Samantha Young

How about The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski ?

message 44: by ~*~JenJenBoBin (new)

~*~JenJenBoBin (readerroo) @Ezinwanyi - that would rock. I need to finish Wallbanger first but then we can do that one if you like. I will go sign us up :) Are we friends on here? I cannot remember I should check :)

message 45: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H I have never done a buddy read but would love to try. I read mostly paranormal and mystery/suspense. I'm a bit limited on what I can read though because I do audios from the library. Some books I can download instantly but the rest I would have to request.

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 80 comments Is it normal for there to be more than 3 for a buddy read? Or should we break up the 4 of us that are reading A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle into two two person groups?

message 47: by ~*~JenJenBoBin (new)

~*~JenJenBoBin (readerroo) @Jennifer - are you interested in any of the titles I posted? Last Kiss Goodnight by Gina Showalter is new and the first in the series. If you want to buddy read it with me that would rock or if you have a book you want to read just post it. We've all had our first buddy read its nothign to it really just reading it together laughing, chatting, crying, talking about the story as it goes along :) I am actually Buddy Reading Wallbanger with a friend it's not an "official buddy read" we are just reading it at the same time :)

message 48: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Jennifer wrote: "@Ezinwanyi - that would rock. I need to finish Wallbanger first but then we can do that one if you like. I will go sign us up :) Are we friends on here? I cannot remember I should check :)"

No rush. January 1, I will begin Angelfall by Susan Ee with Jenne..so I can read this after. Take your time.

@Melissa: I love reading with more than two people. More discussion, more views, it adds various perspectives. I would suggest you not break up your party of four.

message 49: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I have never done a buddy read but would love to try. I read mostly paranormal and mystery/suspense. I'm a bit limited on what I can read though because I do audios from the library. Some books I c..."

You should post some of the books you currently have. That would aid in your matching process

message 50: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Jennifer wrote: "@Jennifer - are you interested in any of the titles I posted? Last Kiss Goodnight by Gina Showalter is new and the first in the series. If you want to buddy read it with me that would rock or if yo..."

Unfortunately, the 2 titles that are available to me (the Sherrilyn Kenyon books) are part of a group read in another group, I'll just keep lurking and I'm sure something will come up:) Thank you very much!

« previous 1 3