Romeo and Juliet Romeo and Juliet question

What is your favorite Shakespeare play?
deleted member Dec 28, 2012 04:56AM
I need to know what to read next....

A Midsummer Night's Dream; As You Like It; and Hamlet are my favorites.

I really love Romeo and Juliet, as well, but for very different reasons than most will say.

The romance is negligible in my mind, but if you put yourself in the audience (mostly made up of second class, working class, and poor) and you see a play in which the rich bourgeois reap a bit of what they sow, you gain a bit of hope and equal footing in the world, at least for that time at the theater.

Everyone loves seeing the snobs get their due, don't they? That's how I end up viewing Romeo & Juliet. Not as a couple of foolish children and their secret love, but how pride and excess can lead to a fall.

Just my two cents. Otherwise, I'm a fan of the comedies.

King Lear would have to be my favorite.

Jack Hamlet and Much AdoAbout Nothing
Apr 04, 2013 12:57PM · flag

Taming of the Shrew

Twelfth Night and Much Ado About Nothing. His comedies are gold.

A Midsummer nights dream because it is the most whimsical out of the play and I enjoyed it the most.
The characters are fun and are entertaining to read about.
Personally I am a big fan of the fantasy genre and this lighthearted play was more enjoyable for me to read then some of his other plays.

Hamlet, Othello, Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth (in that order)

Midsummer Night's Dream

I love Othello, but Romeo and Juliet was the one that got me hooked. I love that one for the poetry and words, not the romance.

A midsummer night's dream

I don't understand how people got so into Julius Caesar. He dies in the 2nd Act, right!?

Julius Caesar (studying it helped a lot), A Midsummer Night's Dream, Macbeth

No question, Othello, hands down, but I haven't read them all.

Much Ado About Nothing; Midsummer Night's Dream; and Macbeth. :)

Midsummer Night's Dream! You can't read/see that play and not come out feeling happy!

Macbeth and Hamlet are my two favourite.

I have to choose two. For comedy it has to be "As You Like It" and for tragedy, as much as I like "King Lear" I beleive that "Hamlet" edges it out.

I haven't really read a lot of Shakespeare but my favorite would have to be A Midsummer Night's Dream. I found it really enjoyable and intriguing. It's a play that I would love to see preformed (though sadly I may never get to).

Hamlet, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Othello and Macbeth :)

Among all his works I loved Twelfth Night. Will's humor is so strong, I actually found myself laughing by myself while reading even before I saw the movies inspired by his play.

Romeo and Juliet. :D

By far Julius Caesar is my favorite Shakespearean play. Marcus Antonius's speeches are beautiful and passionate and full of love and loyalty for Caesar. Caesar has been struck down by the hands of friends and countrymen that he thought favored him.

And I mean talk about being stabbed in the back. It was complete overkill. This play just has so much action, passion, issues of friendship, betrayal, and love. Ever since I read the play in high school I absolutely have wanted to see this play over and over.

I would strongly suggest Hamlet. It's a great story, stuffed to the brim with dynamic characters and a plot that just keeps twisting. Its great for deep conversation and I had a really great seminar discussing the book. It brings up alot of tough moral decisions like honor, revenge, and suicide. If you're not in the mood for tragedy though,I would go for A Midsummer Night's Dream. I mean you can't beat watching faeries mess with four unsuspecting Athenians' lives. The mistakes and follies of the Fae make the play. :)

Brooke, whatever you choose, VIEW the play(s) first. They were written to be seen by the masses, not read by solitary scholars. Once you see a play, it makes the reading more enjoyable (in my humble opinion). And there is nothing quite like hearing Shakespeare's language come alive. Sir Laurence Olivier really was the pioneer in modern filming of Will's play, with his heir apparent, Kenneth Branagh, brilliantly taking up that charge. There are many excellent filmed versions. Enjoy the show!

Othello will always be my favorite Shakespeare play.

Brooke wrote: "I need to know what to read next...."

If you liked Romeo and Juliet, you might like the romance and mistaken indentity things that go on in Twelfth Night.

Hamlet, Othello, Romeo & Juliet, Midsummer's, No particular order & would add others. Hard to choose. Can't beat the Bard.

Ashlar I concur, it is very hard to choose particularly since the Bard offer a different analysis of the historical human experience with each play.
Apr 04, 2013 12:10PM · flag

Hamlet!

deleted member (last edited Dec 28, 2012 02:44PM ) Dec 28, 2012 02:42PM   0 votes
I like the comedies best, it's really fun when you read them out loud with someone, and it doesn't hurt to add dramatic gestures or an English accent. A bit overdone perhaps, but it started my interest in reading Shakespeare.

Othello and Richard III.

deleted member Jan 07, 2013 04:56PM   0 votes
Hamlet!

A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, Merchant of Venice, Othello, Coriolanus, Macbeth, and King Lear are my favorite plays. I really liked Much Ado About Nothing, and Measure for Measure as well.

I've seen A Midsummer Night's Dream, Measure for Measure, Coriolanus, and King Lear performed live. Coriolanus and King Lear I saw in Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare's hometown, Ian McKellar was King Lear, it was the most amazing performance I have ever seen.

If you ever get a chance to see any Shakespeare performed live, go, it's amazing! Midsummer is def my favorite, but as an English major in college, I got the most use out of Merchant of Venice, meaning I wrote more papers about this play than any other material.

The Tempest here too, closely followed by Hamlet, and Coriolanus (for sheer darkness)

Macbeth, King Lear, Richard III, The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, Taming of the Shrew... a really tough question.

Midsummer, hands down.

Twelfth Night! (:

I was forced into reading Shakespeare at school and I honestly hated it. I think that in this century they should scrap the reading of these books by the schools, unless they re-write them in today's English. The story lines may be fine but seriously we don't need to have the old lingo - sorry if this offends anyone - this is my personal opinion and those of my teenage daughters that had to suffer through these readings at school as well, and having to get me to decipher the words, and before you ask, we are English speaking.

Hamlet hands down. But each has its own magic, even Titus Andronicus. All of them are worth reading again and again.

Macbeth, because I fell in love with the famous solioquy the first time I read it. It's what drew me into Shakespear as a teenager, and led me to read his other works.

Hamlet...:)

Taming of the Shrew, it never ages, just like most of Shakespeare's plays, but I love the dynamics of the man and the woman and the ultimate surrender to LOVE!!!

A Midsummer Night's Dream: it's wonderful!

I love Twelfth Night. Read it aloud with some friends last year and laughed for ages. Such a good one! Hamlet is also a favourite. Much Ado About Nothing is quite amusing. I used to like the Merchant of Venice a lot...but I recently decided the racism is a bit too much to ignore. :P

David (last edited Dec 30, 2012 05:45AM ) Dec 29, 2012 09:09AM   0 votes
I taught Shakespeare for many years, and to be honest, this question is as difficult as "what is your favorite song?" The reason is simple: there are too many qualifiers. The plays were meant to be plays, but if you turn them into readings, King Lear is the most complex and engaging. Twelfth Night is a really fun play as is A Midsummer's Night's Dream. But since I taught it easily over one-hundred times, I think Macbeth is pure genius. It is perhaps the shortest, and it completely screws up Scotland's history, but it is so clever--too bad that many high school students have such a negative memory of Macbeth--but that is not Shakespeare's fault; it is the teacher's fault for not making the play come alive--then again, that is the problem behind most bad memories students have of the bard's plays.

Othello. I love that dirty dog, Iago.

Coriolanus!! The story of a admirable military man pushed into a political position he should not have been in then victimised and brought down to the point where he begs his enemy for aid that would only lead to his own demise. ...closely followed by Richard III.

The Tempest is my favorite. I love the magic and intrigue. There is family confilct, romance, treachery, and all the wonderful story componets to make it a fascinating read. I have seen many of Shakespear's plays on stage but never The Tempest.

Actually, there are not many of his plays I don't like!

Taming of the Shrew, King Lear and Twelfth Night couldn't pick one out of those 3.

Othello 100%!

Last summer I saw The Merchant of Venice in an outdoor theater. I fell in love with it.

MacBeth and Merchant of Venice

« previous 1