Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Space Opera > Looking for Recomendation

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dukewacoan (new)

Dukewacoan | 3 comments I'm stuck in a rut looking for a recommendation in SciFi, and I'm thinking in the Space Opera theme.

I keep starting and stopping various Sci Fi books, and can't seem to get into any of them. Recently I've read about the first 100 pages of Foundation, Revelation Space, Hyperion, Iliad, Forever War, Fire Upon the Deep and the Virkosigan series. Didn't get over 100 pages into any. Wondering whether I should try one again or look for something else. I have stopped and started books before and they turned out good, just didn't get into the first time. So maybe a restart of one of them?

Maybe something by Banks or Pohl? Never tried one. Other ideas?

Of SciFi that I have liked lately -
Altered Carbon - A+
Old Man's War, etc - B-
Dune, etc (1st three) - A+
Chindi - B
Enders Game - B-
Starship Troopers - B+

message 2: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 2 comments Leviathan Wakes - space opera lite
Pandora's Star - long book but good characterisation and very much space opera

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike I'm a big fan of Timothy Zahn for Space Opera. Icarus Hunt or Angelmass would be a good place to start. Manta's Gift is also excellent, but probably not what you're looking for at the moment.

message 4: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 7 comments My favorite space opera for great action and superb characters and a dash of quirky lampooning humor is the Merrimack series, starting with The Myriad by R.M. Meluch. Don't be put off that it's not extremely well known - most of the author's other works take a more serious approach, this one is a bit of a departure.

message 5: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
hmmm...I have a copy of a R.M. Meluch novel here...I shall have to move it up the list!

I recommend Iain M. Banks Culture series---great sci-fi, world building and characters

message 6: by Dukewacoan (new)

Dukewacoan | 3 comments Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to give Reynoldsonemore try then move to Banks if Revelation doesn't work for me.

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry Kirwan You could try Deepsix by Jack McDevitt, or The Eden Paradox & Eden's Trial (a bit of shameless self-promotion there, sorry, but they are 'new' space opera). Banks & Reynolds are ace though. If you liked Altered Carbon, you could try Neal Asher (Polity series) or Greg Egan (e.g. Quarantine)

message 8: by Francesca (new)

Francesca (oedipa_drake) What about something by Samuel Delany (Nova or Babel-17)?

message 9: by Lane (new)

Lane | 6 comments Thread revival (I was bored at work thumbing through the group). I would highly recomend Gregory Benford's Galactic Center series. Very hard sci-fi to take you from today to the heat-death of the universe!

message 11: by Dukewacoan (new)

Dukewacoan | 3 comments I ended up starting Revelation Space. Putting it down about 1/2 way through. I might pick it back up in a month.

message 12: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dyarch) I would recommend two books that I think fit in more with the books you finished and enjoyed than the ones you didn't:

Dauntless by Jack Campbell
Armor by John Steakley

message 13: by Dan (new)

Dan Thompson (dan_thompson) | 1 comments Downbelow Staion, by C.J. Cherryh
Trading in Danger, by Elizabeth Moon
Talent for War, by Jack McDevitt

message 14: by Budd (new)

Budd Kevin wrote: "A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge or Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh"

seconded!

message 15: by Budd (new)

Budd Dukewacoan wrote: "Fire upon the Deep..."

This one takes some time to get into. Once you figure things out the story picks up and goes much faster. A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2) by Vernor Vinge Deepness in the Sky might be the best Vinge book to start on.

message 16: by Marcie (new)

Marcie (marciegee) | 1 comments The Risen Empire and The Killing Of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld were surprising likes for me. His Evolution's Darling book is good (and risqué) but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Let me know if you try! Good luck!

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 401 comments Going by that list, I would recommend Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet series starting with The Lost Fleet: Dauntless

message 18: by Rob (new)

Rob Rowntree | 22 comments Engines of God - Jack McDevitt
Leviathan Wakes
House of Suns - Reynolds

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 39 comments Would any of the works of Greg Bear be considered part of a space opera theme?

message 20: by mark, personal space invader (last edited Mar 03, 2014 02:49PM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
I wouldn't consider them space opera, at least not from my understanding of the genre. but I've really loved what I've read, whatever the so-called genre. a triloy of sorts: Eon, Eternity, and Legacy. they expand on (and move well beyond) the BDO concept originally developed by Clarke in Rendezvous with Rama.

message 21: by Rob (new)

Rob Rowntree | 22 comments And David Brin's Uplift series.

message 22: by Mary (new)

message 23: by spikeINflorida (new)

spikeINflorida | 54 comments I'm currently reading the Spinward Fringe series. Definitely solid space opera.

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Mike wrote: "I'm a big fan of Timothy Zahn for Space Opera. Icarus Hunt or Angelmass would be a good place to start. Manta's Gift is also excellent, but probably not what you're looking for at th..."

I think his YA Dragon series is very good.

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Rob wrote: "Engines of God - Jack McDevitt
Leviathan Wakes
House of Suns - Reynolds"

McDevitt is one of those authors my dad "forced" on me. It's so sad those days are over.

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Francesca wrote: "What about something by Samuel Delany (Nova or Babel-17)?"

I loved Nova!

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Bob wrote: "Would any of the works of Greg Bear be considered part of a space opera theme?"

I consider him "hard" sci-fi since he spends so much time on the sci-tech and less on the characters.

message 28: by Alex (new)

Alex Bobl (alex_bobl) | 58 comments Hello all,

All chapters are free - Sector Eight!

https://www.wattpad.com/story/51988932-sector-eight-perimeter-defense-book-1-by-michael

Reccomends for all Space Opera funs!