Anything Goes discussion

ARCHIVES > Favourite Books Read in 2012

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I don't know about you, but I've read some fabulous books this year (and some shockers too). Which books did you enjoy most this year, or which stayed with you long after you'd finished them.

This is my top 5 for 2012;

Some Kind Of Fairy Tale, by Graham Joyce.
The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Soulless by Gail Carriger
Brodmaw Bay by F.G. Cottam
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
I have many more I'd like to add, but I'd be here all day!

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Not read any of these, though I'm attracted by the Carlos Ruiz Zafón title. My top five? Hmm, I'd have to think about that...

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments If you're going for The Prisoner of Heaven, You really need to read The Shadow of the Wind first, followed by The Angel's Game, otherwise you won't get the best out of the book. I can recommend all three, Shadow of the Wind being my favourite book ever!

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Chris wrote: "If you're going for The Prisoner of Heaven, You really need to read The Shadow of the Wind first, followed by The Angel's Game, otherwise you won't get the best out of the book..."

Yes, I've read the first two, but I may have to re-read them, perhaps in chronological order this time, rather than publishing order.

message 5: by Chris (last edited Dec 28, 2012 12:23AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments You should be OK if you've already read them, the names and the story will come back to you. The only reason I suggested it, was a colleague of mine didn't understand why I raved about the The Prisoner of Heaven, and it wasn't until he told me he'd read The Shadow of the Wind but not The Angel's Game. Initially I didn't see there was a link between the first two books. I believe there will be a 4th so I'll be looking out for that. There is also a short story I've not read yet about the beginning of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...
I think it's a free download