The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2013 January Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Dec 26, 2012 05:43PM) (new)

Ann | 273 comments The Newbery Award is an annual award given “to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children” by the American Library Association. Seeing as this award is announced in January, our challenge for the month is to read a former Newbery Award winner.

A list of former Newbery titles can be found at http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/...

Or for those of you who are feeling a little tired of children’s literature after last month’s challenge, pick some other award winning book to read for this month’s challenge.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I will read "The Tale of Despereaux" as it is the 2004 winner and on my "to read" list. :0)

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 986 comments I'm going to read A Year Down Yonder. I have a goal this year to read at least one book for each letter of the alphabet and this is one of the less common letters. Two birds with one stone.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments I have been meaning to read The Giver for years. This gives me a good reason.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments Just to clarify, does it need to be a "winner" or is an honor book okay? I have read most (but not all) of the winners except some of the early ones that are hard to locate. But there are many of the honors books that I haven't read and would like to. I actually participate in a Newbery discussion group in another group here on Goodreads, so this will be easy if Honors books are included.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 280 comments I plan on reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, which is on my to-read list.

message 7: by Micah (new)

Micah | 16 comments "The Dark Thirty" jumped out at me when I glanced at that list, and I have always wanted to read "Holes."

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (nessaluv) | 3 comments My daughter is reading The Giver in class (5th grade), and I've never read it. Maybe I'll give it a go. That and Swiftly Tilting Planet because it was one of my favorite books as a child.

message 9: by Dawnmcd (new)

Dawnmcd | 23 comments I chose the Midwife's Apprentice and an earlier on called Roller Skates. I think I will read them with my kiddos.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Jenny wrote: "Just to clarify, does it need to be a "winner" or is an honor book okay?"

I don't see why not. Some years I've enjoyed one the honor books even more than I did that year's winner.

As for some of those hard to find older Newbery winner books I know you should be able to place a hold on just about all the former Newbery Winners with the Salt Lake County Library System and get one to check out. (I just finished restocking the Newbery winner books at my library last year and there are only two or three titles I was not able to get.) I hope that helps.

message 11: by Greg (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 194 comments The 1978 Winner, The Bridge to Terabithia, is one of my favorite books of all time.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 986 comments And remember, if you have a County Library card, that gives you check out privileges in the SLC City Library System. All you have to do is go into one of the City Library branches and get your card authorized. You don't even have to carry a second card! And what few the County does not have, the City often does, of these award winners. Finally, if neither has it, ask the library to get you a copy by them borrowing it from another library.

message 13: by Jana (new)

Jana | 36 comments I'm rading the 1963 winner "A Wrinkile in Time" with my son. I read it quite a few years ago and can't remember much.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Debbie wrote: " Finally, if neither has it, ask the library to get you a copy by them borrowing it from another library."

Great reminders Debbie! In fact, if you want to request a book from another library system that our libraries don't have—an inter-library loan—you can do this from home if you like.

On the Salt Lake County Library's website's main page there is a "Request a Purchase" link in the bottom right hand corner; this also doubles as an inter-library loan request. Simply click on the link and fill in the information on the item. Make sure to click “yes” on the inter-library loan option just above the comments box before you submit your request.

Titles published or produced in the last year are not available through Inter-Library Loan, but you can still request that we purchase it for the system. It usually takes several weeks to process a request, so don't worry if it takes some time to hear back on your request, whether it is an inter-library loan or purchase request.

The website address for the Salt Lake County Library's website's main page is http://www.slcolibrary.org/index.htm

message 15: by Bawissa (new)

Bawissa | 6 comments How do I pick just one?!?!? LOL! For those of you planning to read The Giver, I highly recommend it! After you've read it, also read the two books that kind of go with it. I can't remember the titles for sure. I think one is Messenger and the other is Seeing Blue, but I'm not sure.

message 16: by Ann (last edited Jan 03, 2013 08:27AM) (new)

Ann | 273 comments Bawissa wrote: "For those of you planning to read The Giver, I highly recommend it! After you've read it, also read the two books that kind of go with it. I can't remember the titl..."

Lois Lowry also just added a fourth and final book to the Giver series, called Son; it came out just a couple months ago. I just finished listening to it on CD and really enjoyed it. (For those of you who like listening to audiobooks the reader for this one is really good.)

message 17: by Bawissa (new)

Bawissa | 6 comments Ann wrote: "Bawissa wrote: "For those of you planning to read The Giver, I highly recommend it! After you've read it, also read the two books that kind of go with it. I can't remember the titl..."

Lois Lowry ..."

I didn't know that! Thanks for telling me so I can check it out. :)

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 986 comments Bawissa wrote: "How do I pick just one?!?!? LOL! For those of you planning to read The Giver, I highly recommend it! After you've read it, also read the two books that kind of go with it. I can't remember the titl..."

The 4 volumes of the quartet are: The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son

Signed,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (dragonshelver) | 35 comments I read the Giver many years ago. Maybe I need to read the rest of the series now.

message 20: by Micah (new)

Micah | 16 comments I am really enjoying The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural. It would be a great October read-out-loud book. I also picked up A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers. Can't wait to get started on it.

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments Just looking over the Newbery and Newbery Honors List I am surprised by how many books I’ve picked up to read before I knew they had won these accolades, but after having read them I can totally understand why they won such high honors.

Some of my favorites are: Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi, The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown both by Robin McKinley—to name just a few. (I love them all, but may I say The Thief is an awesome gem of a book and the start to a great series; I laughed uproariously, got caught up in the plot, and was delightfully surprised at the unexpected twist at the end.)

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 986 comments I have finished A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. It was a delightful romp with the granddaughter of a crochity old woman who cares little for useless tradition. Mary Alice has to spend a year living with her Grandma Dowdel in a little Illinois hick town. As the adventures unfold, one sees that Grandma Dowdel might be identified as one of the original "liberated" women!

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Jackie wrote: "I will read "The Tale of Despereaux" as it is the 2004 winner and on my "to read" list. :0)"
Finished this. Very cute book.

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Debbie wrote: "I have finished A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. It was a delightful romp with the granddaughter of a crochity old woman who cares little for useless tradition. Mary Alice has to spend a year ..."
Loved this book! I really enjoyed everything I have read by this author.

message 25: by Ann (last edited Jan 17, 2013 09:14AM) (new)

Ann | 273 comments Debbie wrote: "I have finished A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. It was a delightful romp with the granddaughter of a crochity old woman who cares little for useless tradition. Mary Alice has to spend a year ..."

A guilty confession on my part--I always thought A Year Down Yonder was such a boring title that I was reluctant to try this book out with all the other titles that I had on my reading list. But after having read your fun synopsis I'm going to have to pick it up.

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I am pretty sure you won't be sorry, Ann. Not only is it a fun read, but a fast one. :0)

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5 comments I read When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.

message 29: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 13 comments What a fun Challenge. Children's books , many of them are phantasies, and with great message. Two of my favorite children's booklist that some of you chose to read are Giver and Wringle in Time. I haven't chosen one to read yet because I am on teh middle of two books.

message 30: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments I read Ella Enchanted with my children. It was a reread for me, but their first read. They loved it.

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky | 280 comments I read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, which was a very worthy read.

message 32: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) | 113 comments Becky wrote: "I read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, which was a very worthy read."

I did too! It was a very anxiety provoking experience, since I know enough history to worry about the safety of the characters. I do love Dad's solution to prevent a lynching, though. I was on pins and needles most of this book. It's more touching knowing Taylor used her own family history as part of the narrative. I am so glad it won the Newberry.

message 33: by Ann (new)

Ann | 273 comments It’s a little later than usual, but I have posted the February Reading Challenge for those of you who want to get a jump on finding a book.

Also, remember to post and let me know when you finish reading the book you have read for this month’s challenge if you want to be entered into this month’s drawing. If you are still working on your book you still have a couple days left to finish, just make sure you’ve posted by the end of January.

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Check out the new winners too- they were just announced on Monday!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 35: by Ann (last edited Feb 01, 2013 08:40AM) (new)

Ann | 273 comments Jackie won this month's reading challenge drawing. She read The Tale of Despereaux by Katie DiCamillo.

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 986 comments Way to go, Katie!

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 112 comments Woohoo! Hooray Jackie! I'm so happy for you! :)

message 38: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 13 comments I will finish reading When You Reach Me, 2010 JF winner. I will buy it for my granddaughter and recommend it to anyone.I really like it.

message 39: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments Thanks, everyone!

message 40: by Becky (new)

Becky | 280 comments Yippee, Jackie! Congrats!!

message 41: by Dawnmcd (new)

Dawnmcd | 23 comments Congrats Jackie.

I finished The Midwife's Apprentice today and really enjoyed how it did not feel dumbed down for children and gave a really nice historical view life in general as well as midwifery at that time.

message 42: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackie123) | 263 comments I picked the book "Under Fishbone Clouds" as my prize. It was a Reader's Choice book and sounds good. Thanks again for the fun monthly challenges.