Start by marking “The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural

The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,292 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
Illus. in black-and-white. With an extraordinary gift for suspense, McKissack brings us ten original spine-tingling tales inspired by African-American history and the mystery of that eerie half-hour before nightfall--the dark thirty.
Published August 22nd 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1992)

Quentin Wallace
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow did this one surprise me. It's a collection of short horror stories, mostly based on African American folktales and set in the deep south. This was published by Scholastic, so I was expecting stories aimed at children. While technically I guess they are, the stories are much darker and mature than you'd think.

The subject matter is very dark, dealing with slavery, lynchings, civil rights violence and more. Sadly, even though it's a book of supernatural tales, the darkest parts of the stories
Lars Guthrie
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
More than a foray into the supernatural, this book connects to much of the history of African Americans' long struggle for equality from slavery to the civil rights era. It's fitting that the last story, an autobiographical "monster" tale, is about McKissack's confronting her own fears as a child. This is the second book of McKissack's I've read recently (see "Tippy Lemmey" below) and I'm sold on her. She writes with humor and depth in a style that is completely accessible to her young audience.
Calista
This is a collection of short stories of African American myths, legends and scary tales. There are creepy stories, hard stories, sad stories, scary stories and fantastic stories in here. Boo Mama is more of a Big foot story and that was very good. The Woman in the Snow is a ghost story and there are some hard truths to face in it and I liked the story a lot. 11:59 is about pullman railroad porters. The Gingi was a scary story - I mean creepy. That was good. And the Chicken-Coop Monster had some ...more
Christina Pilkington
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

A fantastic book of supernatural tales told from the perspective of African Americans from the past 50 years. Lots of creepy tales but a few heartbreaking ones, too. Each story began with a historical fact, placing it in a specific point in history. My kids were riveted to their chairs when I'd read these stories aloud. They always begged me to read just one more! A great book to read around Halloween time.
Nancy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is an outstanding collection of ten supernatural/horror stories for older youth. Author Patricia C. McKissack sets the African-American tales in the deep south, and the evocative back and white pictures by Brian Pinkney add atmosphere to these Gothic type stories. What really adds weight to the dark and spooky stories is that they are based on real happenings during the slavery era, in addition to stories on civil rights brutality and modern day lynchings. An eye-opening compilation that I ...more
Renee
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection of short stories/essays.
Although this is categorized as a children's novel I would beg to differ. I think that this is very much a novel that adults can and should enjoy. There are 10 short "horror" stories/essays that revolve around black people and black cultures. McKissak has a fantastic imagination. Some stories are supernatural, some are realistic, and some are plain wacky.
I also really love the blurbs at the beginning of each story with historical or contextual bac
Kirsten
This Newbery Honor book is one of my old favorites; I ran across it while looking for spooky stories for a Halloween program at the library. McKissack draws on traditional slave narratives and African-American folklore to create original stories that are by turns creepy, though-provoking, and enthralling. Excellent stuff.
Greg Kerestan
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book for the first time in probably second grade, and thought it was cool. I loved ghost stories, and this book was full of them. Rereading it as an adult, I recognize how well-written and how SMART this book is. Though a few stories pander to the young audience, the vast majority of these stories are written, like Spielberg's "Poltergeist," for the whole family, not just for kids to appreciate. Combining Southern supernatural folklore with black American history from the Civil War t ...more
Matt Hickey
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Thoughtful supernatural stories inspired by black history and folklore but plenty moving and clever on their own. Scratched the same very particular itch as the touching/scary Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff.
Catherine
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good for short stories.
Taneka
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a compilation of stories from the South. The stories range from supernatural to monsters. Stories from slavery to the Jim Crow South to an autobiographical account about the authors own experience. The stories are written in a story teller form and the author states that she heard of them during the time known as the dark-thirty, half an hour before nightfall.

This was an enjoyable read. Having grown up in the rural south, I have heard of some of the stories and others in the book, I hav
Josiah
Oct 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One really couldn't ask for much better suspenseful, deeply wrought stories of the eerie and the supernatural than those found in this harrowing volume.
Patricia C. McKissack has struck the ideal chord in the creation of these subtly mysterious tales. She didn't take the edge off of the fright in deference to her young readers, instead allowing the full flavor of the experience to be absorbed, the individual stories speaking as powerfully as they have from the mouths of southern raconteurs for
I kept waiting to read a scary story. From what I had read on the front and back flaps, this book was supposed to give me goosebumps and chills, but I found most of the stories a little tame. It almost seemed as if they were all historical legends that just featured ghosts or other slightly spooky themes. There was one of two stories that were on the verge of being a little haunting, but I never felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end or anything. I read this book in one sitting, but ...more
Lydia
Feb 09, 2008 rated it liked it
This is an entertaining book with several short stories that deal with African American themes, but are very relevant to everyone. These scary stories are meant to be read during the last 30 minutes before daybreak, a time known as the "Dark Thirty".
Anastasia
Jul 31, 2008 rated it liked it
I'd almost forgotten this one. It's a great kids ghost-y anthology with particular roots in racial tensions in the American south. There's only a little moralizing and a lot more atmosphere, which is a nice change for a kid's short story collection.

Sherrie
This is a wonderful collection of African American tales of the supernatural. I enjoyed this quick read and would love to see a second volume of these folklore inspired takes. Creepy and engaging, these are a perfect read for those long winter nights.
Elaine
A children's introduction to spooky stories, with a tiny bit of civil rights history sprinkled here and there. Doesn't make for good reading over the age of 10 or 11.
Falbs
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got this from a friend and absolutely loved it. Gave me a deep sense of the South, and discussed the horrors of segregation as well as being interesting all the way through.
Christina Packard
Most all interesting strange stories.
Jewell
Nov 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Authentic African American folklore tales told in a suspenseful manner.
Debbie
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's probably not fair for me to give this book a rating based on only reading three stories and then abandoning the book. But I was so, so disappointed. I love historical fiction, I love spooky stories, and I was so excited by the premise of this book.

Here's where I think the problem lies. It was not spooky nor suspenseful. It was very simplistic language and writing, fit for a third or fourth grader and perhaps that is the target audience. However, I found the themes and events of the stories
Homewood Library
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miss-kelly, j-non-fic
Using history as a backdrop to spooky, moody, scary atmospheric tales, Patricia McKissack (RIP) has made a masterwork of American story.

Some AMAZING tales in here. The woman in the snow is one of my favorite takes on the vanishing hitchhiker tale.

The stories are short enough that you will tear through them, but some might keep you up at night, checking behind your shoulder.

But do yourself a favor and just get it.

- Miss Kelly
Ms. Kelly

But do yourself a favor and just get it.
Judy
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Good kid's book from an African-American point of view. The stories are spooky but not actually scary, and I enjoyed hearing spooky stories from a different perspective.

Recommended for children who can read chapter books and who can appreciate recognizing that someone else's world is not like theirs.
Christine
What an excellent story collection! Such rich storytelling mixing history with legend, folk tale, and the supernatural. Some stories were more spine-tingling than others, but definitely the perfect read at this time of year. And if you (like me before this book), don’t know what the “dark-thirty” is, you’ll just have to read this for yourself to find out!
Jules
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This collection of children's ghost stories is made even more compelling by the backdrop of history: from slavery to the battle for civil rights. Each chapter begins with a preface that grounds the supernatural stories in social and political realities. The atrocities committed by a racist society prove that human evil is the true monster.
Joseph
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
good stories, could be more detailed in a couple
Rowan
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
it was noy that scary but it was still really cool. my favorites were the conjure brother and the sight.
Janelle
These are tales that slaves in the USA passed down and primarily focus on injustices being served by hauntings of those responsible.
Stephanie
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, easy, light read. I love short folktale type ghost stories and this delivered exactly that.
2015 Reading Chal...: The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural 1 10 Apr 08, 2015 02:54PM
  • Like Jake and Me
  • The Avion My Uncle Flew
  • Annie and the Old One
  • Bright Island
  • Somewhere in the Darkness
Patricia C. McKissack was the Newbery Honor, Coretta Scott King Award-winning author of The Dark-Thirty and Porch Lies an ALA Notable Book. She collaborated with Jerry Pinkney on Goin' Someplace Special (Coretta Scott King Award winner) and Mirandy and Brother Wind (Coretta Scott King Award winner and Caldecott Honor Book).
More about Patricia C. McKissack...