UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > How to get your free ebooks from the group.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Dec 26, 2012 06:32AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Hope you all had a good Christmas. The Christmas book giveaway is now on.

It isn't a competition, just visit here :

http://www.talkbiggles.org.uk/xmas%20...

To see the book collection, then pm me your email address. Please put "Xmas books" in the subject.

I will eventually send you ten ebooks.

As usual can I encourage you to put a review on amazon if you particularly like one of this years book.

Offer closes December 31st.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Oh, if you want to comment on the books here or on the website that would be great.

http://www.talkbiggles.org.uk/xmas%20...

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 5 comments I'm using my phone and can't find the pm button x

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 5 comments done it now thanks

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments So have I. There are 2 by one person. Were we short of offers?

message 6: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments wow, some great books there, thank you everyone :)

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11099 comments I'm impressed I have actually read two of those books.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

One of those books has been on my wish list for some time!!

:0)

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I've kept meaning to read Jamie's Jazz Cafe for ages. Must make that my first one!

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate How do I PM?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Just click simon's name, Kate.

Another page will open and you'll see a 'send message' link.

Click that and you're away.

message 12: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments Two of these are on my wishlist...many thanks to all of you for being so generous!!
and Merry Christmas...back to do reviews when I have read them...promise!!

message 13: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (mrskap) Looking forward to reading them, thank you!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Please, if anyone needs help to get in touch with Simon, just let us know, k?

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11099 comments I had to do it through here, couldn't find it on the new website

message 16: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments I've shared the link elsewhere in the hope of drumming up new members. If that's not cool then pop round my house while I'm in bed and hammer on my front door to complain. Or just mention it here.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Hi All,

I have sent out the first batch of books. 50 people have taken up the offer so far. If you sent me a PM with your email address you should receive the books very shortly.

It isn't too late to apply. Simply send me a PM using Goodreads including your email address (not your kindle email address please).

Thanks,

Simon

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Just found my email.

Thanks Simon and to the authors involved!

:0)

message 19: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Whoo - just downloaded - thank you all those who offered their work free. It's much appreciated.

message 20: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments I signed up:)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Hmm, I just had a PM saying the books wouldn't open on the Kindle Fire HD. As I don't have one of them I am not sure why. Does the Fire need AZW3 format?

message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments They all open fine on my iPad. Haven't tried on the Nexus 7 or Paperwhite yet. Will report when I do.

And thanks to all the authors for donating their work, and to Simon for collating - it is greatly appreciated. :)

message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Now that they've appeared in my Kindle Docs folder on the iPad, will they automatically sync to the other devices if I just leave it, or do I need to copy to each separately? (after I've finished brunch of course ;))

message 24: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (mrskap) We figured it out Simon, thanks. Just forwarded the email to my kindle.com email address and there they were :-) Thanks!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Not sure if they will sync Tim. Probably not as they are not from Amazon but I don't know if the latest firmware allowed synching of non-amazon stuff now I think about it.

That wasn't much help was it?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments They're appear in the archive on all devices.

message 27: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments thanks Simon, received mine :-)

message 28: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments Thank you ever so much Simon and all the contributing authors.
I think I'll make a collection for them and read them randomly without seeing what the book is about.

message 29: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments All downloaded now ready to go! many thanks indeed for this to you Simon and to the authors of course.

message 30: by Cheryl M-M (last edited Dec 28, 2012 04:42AM) (new)

Cheryl M-M (cherylm-m) | 23 comments Just wanted to pop in and say a big Thank You to all the authors who have been generous enough to donate their books for the Xmas giveaway.

Thank You!! (that includes the Mods for sorting it all out)

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments Just received mine! Thank you to all the authors who donated the books and all those involved in the distribution!

message 32: by Kate (new)

Kate Did the same as Kerry. Thanks!

message 33: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Just recieved mine. Thanks so much authors, and Patti and Simon for organising it (:

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thank Simon and the authors.

I just sat here looking pretty.

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments *clears throat *

message 36: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Play to your strengths Patti! ;)

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2 comments Received - thank you! Now which one to start on...?

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11099 comments Thanks very much - more books to read, just what I need

message 39: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments guys I've managed to upload them all on to my Calibre app on my laptop. I also have a Kindle app on the laptop but have never managed to figure out how to transfer books from Calibre into it, including my own. It's way easier to read on the kindle app than the Calibre one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

message 40: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments got them thanks simon and authors :)

i have actually read quite a few of them and can especially recommend great r&r doomsday tour and 24 hour jazz cafe (love all Jamie's books but that's no secret to those who know me)

looking forward to checking out the rest :)

message 41: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Marc wrote: "guys I've managed to upload them all on to my Calibre app on my laptop. I also have a Kindle app on the laptop but have never managed to figure out how to transfer books from Calibre into it, inclu..."

If you click on each book singlely they should open in your kindle app. Mine does, but you cant archive them only delete them so be careful. They will stay in the email if you do have a mishap

message 42: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Hey Kath - I've just started Jamie's Jazz Cafe - and Doomsday is one of the few Darren Humphries books I haven't read. Like you, I've read some already. Isn't this exciting?
Thanks again to all the authors and to Simon for enabling (whoo, get me!)

message 43: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "Marc wrote: "guys I've managed to upload them all on to my Calibre app on my laptop. I also have a Kindle app on the laptop but have never managed to figure out how to transfer books from Calibre i..."

thanks Pat they clicking on them only opens them in Calibre.

When I open up my kindle app, they are not in my books and I can't drag them over.

message 44: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments If you go into your Kindle settings on Amazon you can choose to archive all personal documents which include any book you email to yourself.

This means you can access it on any device!

message 45: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "If you go into your Kindle settings on Amazon you can choose to archive all personal documents which include any book you email to yourself.

This means you can access it on any device!"

excellent, will give it a go. Thanks

message 46: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "If you go into your Kindle settings on Amazon you can choose to archive all personal documents which include any book you email to yourself.

This means you can access it on any device!"

done that and still no joy? Keeps opening in Calibre rather than Kindle

message 47: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Marc wrote: "Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "If you go into your Kindle settings on Amazon you can choose to archive all personal documents which include any book you email to yourself.

This means you can access ..."

Can you right-click on them and go down to 'open with' and select Kindle? (sorry if you've tried this, i'm rubbish with computers!)

message 48: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments I just emailed them to my Kindle email account and they then synced with my Kindle.

message 49: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Aye that is what I mean Shaun.

If you email a book to your kindle email address and make sure you have the box thing ticked. Then you go into a kindle app or on any kindle and it is in your archive.

Calibre shouldn't even be anywhere near your book after your finish playing with it. You don't open a book directly from the file, you open it in a kindle app/kindle

message 50: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Shaun wrote: "I just emailed them to my Kindle email account and they then synced with my Kindle."

sorry to be thick, but how do I find out my Kindle email a/c?

« previous 1 3