SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Book Chat > Deciding between The Black Prism and Theft of Swords

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patremagne (new)

Patremagne If any of you have read them, why did you like them (if you did)? They both got ridiculously favorable ratings and both look really good, I just can't decide which to read first. I'm also in the middle of Malazan, so I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks

message 2: by Kevin (last edited Dec 25, 2012 03:08PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 78 comments Mod
It depends on what you like. I've read both this year, and I would say go with The Black Prism because its one of the best book I read in a while. It has an unique magic system, and the story is fast pace with twists. On the other hand, if you like tropes with elves and dragons and a quest, I would go with Theft of Swords, which is actually two books in one. Plus the author, Michael J. Sullivan is on Goodreads a lot, which is good.

Robert Thompson (kilevvri1) | 3 comments Black Prism is fantastic, epic and the one to read first, if it were a finished series. You could do much worse than going with Theft of Swords first. You might just drop Malazan for a spell.

Black Prism will be there and unfinished for a few more months or years, depending.

message 4: by Patremagne (new)

Patremagne Thanks for the replies. I just found out about Mistborn and the Way of Kings series by Brandon Sanderson. I'll probably read Way of Kings to see if I like his writing style then maybe Mistborn but the start of Theft of Swords was very entertaining.

Robert Thompson (kilevvri1) | 3 comments That comment was the most entertaining thing I have read all week. Way of Kings is way too long plus I know too many people that were thrilled with Mistborn that didn't take to Way of Kings.

I enjoyed both but its better to start with Elantris or Mistborn, especially since Mistborn is just that damn good. Don't know anyone who hasn't liked it.

message 6: by Patremagne (new)

Patremagne You've swayed me. I wasn't find of the idea of allomancy at first but now it seems really cool.

message 7: by Patremagne (new)

Patremagne Fond, rather.

message 8: by Patremagne (new)

Patremagne Is Allomancy going to be one of those systems where it's just a mind battle? I would prefer to see some things happen rather than have people stare at each other until someone goes flying.

message 9: by Patremagne (new)

Patremagne Awesome, thanks. Loving the GoodRead community so far.

message 10: by Tam (new)

Tam Linsey (tamlinsey) | 2 comments I just finished Theft and thought it well done, and a longer read than many books these days. I need to pick up the rest of the books in the series.

Plus, now it sounds like I need to pick up The Black Prism! Great recommendations. Thanks.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 78 comments Mod
Tam wrote: "I just finished Theft and thought it well done, and a longer read than many books these days. I need to pick up the rest of the books in the series.

Plus, now it sounds like I need to pick up The..."

The reason it was a longer read is because it was two books in one.