The Hobbit, or There and Back Again The Hobbit, or There and Back Again discussion

The Movie ... for the fans C:

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

johanna So we've established that everyone seems to have an entirely different view on the movie. Some hate it, some are dissapointed, others adored it. This topic is for the latter.

Loved The Hobbit movie? What was your favourite scene? Character? Which part of dialogue did you enjoy the most? Are you looking forward to the second? How much did you enjoy it?

Personally, I loved it. Yes, they changed a few things, but I chose to enjoy the movie anyway. And I did. I adored it. My favourite character was Bilbo, obviously . I think the actor was BRILLIANT. And Gollum was excellent. My very favourite scenes(the ones I've watched over and over on IMDb ...) are these ...

Bilbo Baggins: Why don't we have a game of riddles? Just you and me. If I win, you show me the way out.
Gollum: And if he looses? What then? Well, if he looses, precious, then we eats it! If Baggins looses, we eats it whole!
Bilbo Baggins: [shocked silence] Fair enough.

Gollum: What is it, precious? What is it?
Bilbo Baggins: My name ... is Bilbo Baggins.
Gollum: Bagginses ... what is a Bagginses?
Bilbo Baggins: I'm a hobbit. From the shire.
Gollum: Ooh! We like goblins and bats and fishes, precious, but we hasen't tried hobbitses before! Is it ... soft? Is it ... juicy?
Bilbo Baggins: [waves sword at Gollum] Argh! I'll use this ... if I have to! I don't want any trouble! Do you understand? Just show me, the way out of here, and I'll be on my way.
Gollum: Is it lost?
Bilbo Baggins: Yes, and I want to get unlost... as soon as possible!
Gollum: Ooh! Ooh! We knows! We knows safe paths for hobbitses! Safe paths in the dark... SHUT UP!
Bilbo Baggins: I didn't say anything...
Gollum: I wasn't talking to you!

I loved that whole scene, with Bilbo and Gollum and the riddles :) But what was yours? Do you have any quotes to share? :D

I was also really sad at two of the scenes ... when Bilbo faints at the beginning, ( Balin: It's just the usual; summary about pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements so forth.
Bilbo Baggins: Funeral arrangements?
[reads contract]
Bilbo Baggins: Oh, up to but not exceeding one fourteenth total profit if any. Seems fair. Present company shall not be liable for injuries including but not limited to laceration, evisceration... incineration?
Bofur: Oh, aye. He'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye.
Balin: You all right, laddie?
Bilbo Baggins: Yeah, I'll be. Feel a bit faint
Bofur: Think furnace, with wings.
Bilbo Baggins: Yeah, I-I-I need air
Balin: Flash of light, searing pain, then poof, you're nothing more than a pile of ash.
Bilbo Baggins: [long pause] No.
[faints]) I felt really bad for him xD. And later on, when Balin calls his sword a letter-opener! IT IS NOT! D: (Balin: I'm not even sure it is a sword. More of a letter-opener really).

And these parts were also very funny ... classic lines:

Bilbo Baggins: [To the trolls, about cooking the dwarves.] Well, you're going to need a stronger seasoning than sage. I mean, have you smelled them?

Bilbo Baggins: [asking Gandalf about Radagast] Is he a very great wizard, or is he more like you?

Now it's your turn!

Daniel Love the movie. Love those lines, everyone should should see the movie.

Amanda Absolutely adored the movie. Planning on seeing it again in 3D this time. (It was already sold out when I bought tickets for the midnight show)

johanna @Daniel: Haha, yep. I agree. And nice profile pic ;)

@Amanda: Awesome! I watched it in 2D ... thought it would be better to watch it 2D for the first time, since it's easier to understand ... I get easily confused by all the 3D dizzying stuff XD. But that sounds epic C: I'd love to see it again haha, as soon as we'd finished, I was like, "Let's watch it again!"

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I really loved this movie to death. I asked to watch it again, but I was refused the amazingness. So Ice decided to watch it secret,t with my friends another day... :P

But really. This book/movie is INCREDIBLE. I saw it in 3D.
The quotes you picked are some of my favorites too! ^_^

Amanda @Johanna, I felt the same way. I've been bugging my friends and family to go with me since 4am on the 14th... Finally got my mum to cave and go with on Monday. Nothing better than a Hobbit christmas.

johanna @Misha: LOL. D'aww! D: I know how you feel ... just yesterday (I watched it on Thurs) I spent practically the whole day searching for quotes and trailers and movie clips and ANY information I could get. Closest I could get to watching it again >:U. I just cannot wait until we buy it and I can watch it as many times as I want :D .

@Amanda: Sounds amazing haha. Good persuading!!

My advice though is: Don't read other people's reviews :U. I didn't know what to think when I watched the movie. I'd read so many reviews, heard so many oppinions saying how bad it was, or how it dissapointed them, or how they changed the story. On the other hand, I'd also read good reviews! And the adverts and things ... saying it was the best movie of the year etc. etc. whatever. Halfway through the movie, I must have decided that I would ignore all these oppinions and just enjoy the movie. I loved it. But yesterday I read another review ... a Goodreads one this time. It was how they were dissapointed with it. It immediately spoiled my oppinion of it ... and I just couldn't feel excited about it anymore! I felt as if I'd been stupid to miss all this stuff - plainly it was a useless movie and I'd been mistaken. Of course I'm cured now ... after talking with my friend who also loved it. But ... my point: Other peoples' oppinions can really change yours! It's better just to watch it and enjoy. Also, don't compare to teh book! OK, it might be dissapointing that they changed the plot a bit ... but it's not always possible to keep the plot exactly the same. It's not worth it - wasting a good movie, just so that you can rave about how it dissapointed you. Just enjoy it. :)

Woah. Sorry for the lecture >.<

johanna And have you guys heard!?

The next movie isn't coming out until the 12th December 2013!!! 2013!! D:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1170358/
It's called The Desolation of Smaug, and it looks absolutely brilliant from the picture. I can't wait to get more of Bilbo and Smaug and Gandalf and everyone :D But ... but a year! ;_; It's cruelty! :U

Carina I really liked the movie (though I do think you can tell more parts were done on green screen than LoTR).

I think that Martin Freeman did a very very good job with Bilbo, he had a nice droll sense of humour going on that worked very well (especially with Gollum). I also think that Richard Armitage is going really well as the leader, but am hoping the rest of the drawfs might get a bit more developed... I dunno they just seem very much in the background in comparison (I mean in LOTR yes you had fewer characters but they all seemed to be a lot more developed) - perhaps this will occur in the directors cut DVDs which I am sure they'll release!

johanna @Carina: Ikr! Martin Freeman was an excellent hobbit! He really brought the character alive for me - when I read the book I didn't really feel any connection to Bilbo (This was a while ago ... I want to read it again now!), but in the movie he was brilliant .

Carina ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "@Carina: Ikr! Martin Freeman was an excellent hobbit! He really brought the character alive for me - when I read the book I didn't really feel any connection to Bilbo (This was a while ago ... I wa..."

TBH The Hobbit is my least liked book by Tolkien (well now I have read The Silmarillion that is my least liked but hey!) but the movie really brough Bilbo to life in a way I never really got in the book.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the movie...My favourite charachter is Balin and my favourite scenes are: when the eagles rescue the Dwarves and when the Elves slay the Goblins and Wargs. Dol Guldur is amazing. But Erebor is something else.

BookDeliria (Dia) I loved the movie! Bagginses dids wells.

Although I have a bit of disappointment at the end. Overall, I liked it. :D

PO-TA-TOES!

Scott I thought the movie was great! This adaptation of the book was at least as good as how Jackson did LOTR. My favorite characters were Bilbo(of course) and Dwalin(a real badass dwarf!).

message 15: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Razinha Wait - Bilbo suggests the riddle game and not Gollum? WTH?

message 16: by P.t. (new) - rated it 4 stars

P.t. Mayes I enjoyed it, although I did find it a bit long. Could have easily have had thirty minutes cut. The main trouble I had was with the 48fps, which kept on pulling me out of the film. I hope to see it at the normal 24fps in the New Year.

C. J. Scurria I have not gotten the opportunity to see it yet! I would love to. I have heard the negative criticism about this one but usually when I hear that and then see the movie I am usually surprised by how much more I like the film than what the so-called "haters" have said.

johanna Jim wrote: "Wait - Bilbo suggests the riddle game and not Gollum? WTH?"

@twinkletoes: Haha, go Gollum! I adored the voice - whats-his-name did brilliantly!
@Jim: Haha, Gollum suggests the riddles first ... but I don't think Bilbo agrees. Then Gollum gets angry and Bilbo hastily changes his mind ... I had to try and remember some of that dialogue from the beginning of that scene, so I may have got it slightly wrong. Would be appreciated if you could correct me.
@Philip: Yeah ... one thing I felt we didn't really have to see was the whole scene with Radagast, but I guess Peter Jackson knew what he was doing. I just wanted to get back to Bilbo and the others! xD But I'm definately looking forward to the Smaug scene!!
@CJ: Awesome! You definately have that to look forward to then! Make sure you do sometime :). Can't wait to see what you think.

Shadow Knight I honestly can't see why anyone in their right mind could have hated it! I loved it! One of the best movies of all time in my opinion. Oh and I loved just about every scene in the movie. I thought the funniest part was when the troll sneezed on Bilbo. I had tears in my eyes it was so funny! :)

johanna @Shadow: LOL Ugh that part was disgusting! xD but I did love that whole troll scene ... Bilbo was so cool!

Christine Ashworth I saw it in 3D, IMAX, 48 frames per second - and that spoiled it a bit for me. I could see TOO much detail - and when my head wasn't exactly straight on, everything was fuzzy. Some of the action scenes were fuzzy, too, even when I WAS looking straight on. So when I see it again, I'm going to see the regular version and not the 3D version.

And yes, I loved it too!

johanna @Christine: Yeah, the people I went with considered going 3D ... but I wanted to go 2D for the first time. 3D's cool to watch it again in ... but when you want to understand everything that's happening, I suggest 2D :)

johanna And yay this thread is popular :D

Daniel Jim wrote: "Wait - Bilbo suggests the riddle game and not Gollum? WTH?"

Bilbo does bring the Riddles up in the movie.

johanna Daniel wrote: "Jim wrote: "Wait - Bilbo suggests the riddle game and not Gollum? WTH?"

Bilbo does bring the Riddles up in the movie."

... Does he? I thought it was Gollum xD.

message 26: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Razinha Daniel wrote: "Jim wrote: "Wait - Bilbo suggests the riddle game and not Gollum? WTH?"

Bummer...another Peter Jackson fail...and on something so simple. Guy makes a pretty movie, but just once couldn't he read the actual book?

johanna Hessa wrote: "I enjoyed the movie although I have to say it was a bit predictable, however, I am looking forward to the second. Bilbo was an interesting character and the scene with Gollum gave the movie a twist."

Agreed :)
And I can't wait for the second either!! It's cruel they're making us wait a whole year :(

'denise I enjoyed the movie, although it was drawn out a little to long...Can't wait for the second one, but a whole year!!! Oh well, hope it goes fast :-)

Sophie Haven't see it yet :(
I am in Tassie, and it isn't out for a few more days. :(

johanna Sophie wrote: "Haven't see it yet :(
I am in Tassie, and it isn't out for a few more days. :("

Aww! You won't be dissapointed :)

message 31: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Kaye I know the movie has element added and taken away, but then most movies are like that when it comes to a movie based on a book, but I loved The Hobbit Movie. CAn't wait to see EP2.

johanna Saranar wrote: "I know the movie has element added and taken away, but then most movies are like that when it comes to a movie based on a book, but I loved The Hobbit Movie. CAn't wait to see EP2."

I agree ... even taking that into it, The Hobbit is one of the best book-to-movie movies I've watched ... I mean, at the beginning they were practically having the book conversations word by word! Three Cheers for Peter Jackson! :)

message 33: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Kaye ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "Saranar wrote: "I know the movie has element added and taken away, but then most movies are like that when it comes to a movie based on a book, but I loved The Hobbit Movie. CAn't wait to see EP2."..."

Hip Hip

johanna Saranar wrote: Hip Hip "

XD Hooray!?

Shannon It's really hard to pick which scenes are my favorites and what dialogue I really enjoyed. Really, anything with my favorite characters (Fili, Kili, and Bilbo) are an automatic favorite.

I grew up reading the books and watching the movies (both live action and animated) and I have to admit, I love this movie for than them. It was so much more playful than the original movies and the characters came off with more personality and color. Heck, I tear up because I know what happens and I've already gotten so attached. It bothers me a little when someone's only reason for not liking it is "it's nothing like the book." Of course it's not, it's not directed by Tolkien, it's not just his vision anymore. The movies are Peter Jackson's spin on the author's imagination. And what an amazing twist it is.

johanna Shannon wrote: "It's really hard to pick which scenes are my favorites and what dialogue I really enjoyed. Really, anything with my favorite characters (Fili, Kili, and Bilbo) are an automatic favorite.

I grew up..."

Agreed whole-heartedly. Couldn't have put it better XD. Why does everyone like Fili and Kili so much though? O_o

For the Hardcore fans - Recently I've been coveting practically everything on this website here, if you haven't seen it: http://www.hobbitshop.com/
Now you can too!

Enjoy xD

Shannon ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "Agreed whole-heartedly. Couldn't have put it better XD. Why does everyone like Fili and Kili so much though? O_o

For the Hardcore fans -"

For me personally, I've always liked them. Long before the movie. They're the class clowns which are often the characters I gravitate towards. As for others, I could only guess.

And keeping an eye on RedBubble.com is also a good idea, especially with something from a popular series. It's fanart goods and often times, they're really high quality. But it can get pricey.

johanna Shannon wrote: "ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "Agreed whole-heartedly. Couldn't have put it better XD. Why does everyone like Fili and Kili so much though? O_o

For the Hardcore fans -"

For me personally, I've always liked the..."

Haha ... I guess so. But for me ... I just loved Bilbo so much that I didn't care about Gandalf and the dwarves XD. I'm hoping they still show Bilbo a lot in th next movie, because apparently they're going to be following Gandalf on his quest-thing too.

Cool! Will check it out asap :)

johanna WOAH! Shannon that's awesome! I've never seen that site before - I searched The Hobbit, and I was laughing every 5 seconds xD. Those shirts are epic! Check out these:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/matth...
http://www.redbubble.com/people/marma...
http://www.redbubble.com/people/marma...
I <3 this one: http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixhu...

Shannon ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "WOAH! Shannon that's awesome! I've never seen that site before - I searched The Hobbit, and I was laughing every 5 seconds xD. Those shirts are epic! Check out these:
http://www.redbubble.com/peopl..."

Yes! Those are awesome. I know I'm going splurge on shirts from that site, I swear. And they're quick about it too. Like, two weeks before Legend of Korra even started airing they had Fire Ferret sweatshirts and iPhone/iPod cases based off the main cast's clothes.

As for your above post: I really loved the way Bilbo was portrayed. So much personality. I really didn't like him in the book and I really didn't like him in the animated movie but here? Wow. Talk about owning the character.

And yeah, I've heard that but I think the company might be coming along with Gandalf. If not, there's the Battle of Mirkwood and a whole bunch of other scenes that techincally happened lore-wise but where never put in the book (plus Jackson's own twists). I wouldn't be too worried about less Bilbo and dwarves on screen. I think they'll do a good job making it even.

johanna Shannon wrote: "ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "WOAH! Shannon that's awesome! I've never seen that site before - I searched The Hobbit, and I was laughing every 5 seconds xD. Those shirts are epic! Check out these:
http://www.re..."

Haha, awesome :)

I know! I never disliked Bilbo in the book ... but I never loved him. I never felt any real connection with him ... whereas now, after watching the movie, he's really come alive for me. I don't know about you, but I'm really glad Peter Jackson delayed the filming for 6 weeks, just to wait for Martin Freeman. It was worth it.

johanna And I can't wait for the Desolation of Smaug!! (Woah, that sounds evil >3< I mean the movie :P)
The picture looks brilliant ...

Kataury I enjoyed the movie, but I was shockingly disappointed in some of the special effects. I was kind of expecting better CGI for such a good movie, but a lot of it you could tell was CGI. But that is one of the harder parts about making a fantasy movie, CGI is so much harder and requires more detail. Still, I was kind of expecting something more for such a popular movie. Still a good movie, really enjoyed it. Dunno if they should spread it for three movies.

johanna Kataury wrote: "I enjoyed the movie, but I was shockingly disappointed in some of the special effects. I was kind of expecting better CGI for such a good movie, but a lot of it you could tell was CGI. But that is ..."

Apparently they're going to be following Gandalf's travels too, so I guess they'll fill in :U

Rasheta Jim wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Jim wrote: "Wait - Bilbo suggests the riddle game and not Gollum? WTH?"

Bummer...another Peter Jackson fail...and on something so si..."

He needs to complete his money fort. You can't expect him to read the book himself. Silly fan.

Shannon ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "And I can't wait for the Desolation of Smaug!! (Woah, that sounds evil >3< I mean the movie :P)
The picture looks brilliant ..."

The wait for Freeman was definitely worth it! I don't think anyone else could've brought young Bilbo to life in such an amazing way.

And I can't wait to see Smaug. The version I grew up with is a giant cat-looking thing with Impala headlights for eyes.

Luna Belle Pris Loved it! Loved All the characters. The dwarves were great. Bilbo was great. Gollum- perfect! The Goblin Scribe was so cute! Smaug Rocked it at the end.

johanna Shannon wrote: "ງດໂາຊກກຊ wrote: "And I can't wait for the Desolation of Smaug!! (Woah, that sounds evil >3< I mean the movie :P)
The picture looks brilliant ..."

The wait for Freeman was definitely worth it! I do..."

Agreed wholeheartedly. Good job, Peter Jackson.

Really? By the look of the end of the first movie he's going to be slightly more dramatic than that o-o. I just hope they don't get too enthusiastic with the animation and make him unrealistic. If he's too huge and rumbly, it will be too unbelievable :U

@Laura Haha, yep. Who was your favourite character?

message 49: by johanna (last edited Dec 25, 2012 09:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

johanna Rasheta wrote: "Jim wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Jim wrote: "Wait - Bilbo suggests the riddle game and not Gollum? WTH?"

Bummer...another Peter Jackson fail...and on som..."

>.< I'm sure Peter Jackson read the book xD. How else would he have his actors practically say lines word-perfect to the book dialogue? :)
Yes, he changed it ... but saying he didn't read the book is unrealistic.

message 50: by C. J. (last edited Dec 26, 2012 01:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. J. Scurria I get to post on here now. I got to see The Hobbit. I was impressed! I don't know what critics were talking about I liked it a lot. Though it had a different style than the LOTR movies (I think that was partially in thanks to Guillermo Del Toro as one of this film's producers)that didn't change my feelings about how much I liked this film.

I heard that Cate Blanchett was in this film though her character was not in The Hobbit book itself but I felt like they couldn't have found a better place to put her in this film.

I also found the story moving and the film is incredibly clever at recreating many of the books scenes.

I was also surprised (in both a good and bad way) that the film is almost the entire book! What will be in store for us viewers in the second film? Time will tell.

« previous 1