The Sword and Laser discussion

Alpaca Lips check .. who is still here?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Dec 21, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I'm here!! It is 12/21/2012 and no sign of of deadly meteorites.

Guess its alpaca lips nah!

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments I don't speak alpaca.

message 3: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 352 comments The world didn't end where you are? It did here; it was quite nice, actually. Afterward, we all got cake. There were little flowers made of sugar on top. Very classy event, sorry you missed out.

message 4: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 149 comments Sky wrote: "The world didn't end where you are? It did here; it was quite nice, actually. Afterward, we all got cake. There were little flowers made of sugar on top. Very classy event, sorry you missed out."

Did you get the souvenir program? I thought the retrospective and acknowledgements sections were quite lovely.

message 5: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Frankly, the whole business is ludicrous, a sad display of seuperstition in the face of science. Why, ther idea that the world might just end is preposte

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments If the world ended, then crazy things would happen like Paul McCartney joining Nirvana. Wait...

message 7: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments The Geek and Sundry twitter account had the right idea:

The Doctor, Buffy, Sheriff Jack Carter, the SG-1 team, Torchwood, Warehouse 13, Mulder & Scully, and Sam & Dean saved us!

message 8: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments David(LA,CA) wrote: "The Geek and Sundry twitter account had the right idea:

The Doctor, Buffy, Sheriff Jack Carter, the SG-1 team, Torchwood, Warehouse 13, Mulder & Scully, and Sam & Dean saved us!"

This looks like a job for fanfic!

message 9: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
Tamahome wrote: "If the world ended, then crazy things would happen like Paul McCartney joining Nirvana. Wait..."

That was awesome. I might have died happy then.

message 10: by Sandi (last edited Dec 21, 2012 02:08PM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I am not only still here, but I just got three free e-books from Nightshade books. Here's the e-mail they sent me that says what to do for the free books:

Well, we can add the Myan end of the world prophecy to the long list of things that didn't happen. And while it's probably no surprise to most of us that we woke up as per usual, we think it's still worth celebrating!

PLUS, its the Winter Solstice! Double trouble! So let's nestle into the longest night of the year with some free reading, shall we?

Here is how it works:

Email StillHere@nightshadebooks.com and you'll receive an auto response from us with a username, password and link to our download site where you'll be able to download the .epub or .mobi files of some of our most exciting and appropriately apocalyptic titles:

Seed

Osiris

Wastelands

(I read the last one a couple of years ago and it's really good.)

message 11: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments I don't know how many times I have to keep telling people this - The Mayans did not predict the world would end in 2012! When a calendar runs out it means you get a new calendar! My calendar runs out on Dec 31 - so there are at least an extra 10 days to replace it and save the world.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments David Sven wrote: "I don't know how many times I have to keep telling people this - The Mayans did not predict the world would end in 2012! When a calendar runs out it means you get a new calendar! My calendar runs o..."

I know but I love the joke about the alpaca lips. :-)

message 13: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments David Sven wrote: "I don't know how many times I have to keep telling people this - The Mayans did not predict the world would end in 2012! When a calendar runs out it means you get a new calendar! My calendar runs o..."

Heck ALL end of the world predictions have been wrong so far. However, apocalypse predictions are starting to become great fun.

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments The world ended a long time ago, and we've been living in a digital off-site (off-world?) backup ever since. We just haven't noticed...

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments Some scientists believe we are living in a simulation, obviously.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments NMC wrote: "Tim wrote: "The world ended a long time ago, and we've been living in a digital off-site (off-world?) backup ever since. We just haven't noticed..."

You mean this is the Matrix? :D"

Nah, nothing so posh. This is GenericWorld. ;)

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 22, 2012 07:15AM) (new)

David Sven wrote: "I don't know how many times I have to keep telling people this - The Mayans did not predict the world would end in 2012! When a calendar runs out it means you get a new calendar! My calendar runs o..."

I know you think these people who went to such great lengths for this would have done a little research.

But I am typing this from the alien spaceship that rescued me in france so who am I to argue.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1913 comments Nick wrote: "David Sven wrote: "I don't know how many times I have to keep telling people this - The Mayans did not predict the world would end in 2012! When a calendar runs out it means you get a new calendar! My calendar runs o..."

I know but I love the joke about the alpaca lips. :-) "

I'm sure it's me missing something obvious, but I don't get the joke. Please explain so I can say 'oh' and feel stupid.

Daran wrote: "David(LA,CA) wrote: "The Doctor, Buffy, Sheriff Jack Carter, the SG-1 team, Torchwood, Warehouse 13, Mulder & Scully, and Sam & Dean saved us!""

Psssh, actually, it was ME who saved the world (prove I didn't!) but do I get the credit? Does the world bow down before me and bring me flowers and kittens and other nice things? No. Next time, I'll just hop away elsewhere and let the planet burn!

message 19: by Nick (last edited Dec 23, 2012 04:25AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments @Ruth - its a play on the word apocalypse. Get it? Alpaca Lips - apocalypse. It is silly. I know. Alpaca Lips nah = Apocalypse Now.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Nick wrote: "@Ruth - its a play on the word apocalypse. Get it? Alpaca Lips - apocalypse. It is silly. I know. Alpaca Lips nah = Apocalypse Now."

Oh lol good one ruth, I didn't get it either, that's pretty funny.

message 21: by David Sven (last edited Dec 23, 2012 01:06PM) (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Ha Ha. I am so slow. I get it now. I was thinking you must be in South America somewhere. Where the official Mayan timezone would be. Then I was thinking, do they have Alpacas in South America? And do they have lips?

message 22: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6353 comments I thought it was a llama. But all I know about animals I learned from Winamp.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1913 comments Nick wrote: "@Ruth - its a play on the word apocalypse. Get it? Alpaca Lips - apocalypse. It is silly. I know. Alpaca Lips nah = Apocalypse Now."

lol, thanks, Nick. Silly indeed, but I like it. :)

message 24: by Lyssa (new)

Lyssa | 7 comments Love the alpaca lips joke....sounds like a joke my pops tells...

He actually woke me up at like 12 am on 22nd to say "looks like the zombies can't read calenders"....then had nerve to wonder why he almost got slipper to forehead...

Hell I'm surprised I actually threw it anywhere near him...my aim 5 seconds out of sound sleep is usually much worse :)