Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Storm Front discussion

Is it woth it to continue the series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Erika So, probably by asking this I will run into some die hard fans of this series. But I want honest opinions about it.

I finished this first book, and thought it was very predictable. I thought it was fun and Harry Dresden a great character but the predictable part bothers me so much.

I have no idea how the rest of the books in the series are, but I have mixed feelings about continuing. If it's just fun, I don't think that will be good enough for me.

I want to know what you guys say about the rest of the series, does it improve? is it predictable? If I didn't get hooked from the beginning, do you think I could like the rest?

Tell me, I want to know!

message 2: by H (new) - rated it 5 stars

H S I think if you don't love the first book you won't love the others. I don't find them predictable, to be honest...

Romesh I wasn't all that impressed by the first book either, but after reading some of the others I found I really liked the series

Moarbooxpls First books are often not the best books in a series, IMO. Unless I just can't like the main characters I will often give a series two or three books before I decide not to continue. I don't know if I would consider the individual Dresden Files books predictable, but having read all the books in the series, I definitely don't consider the overarching storyline to be predictable.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ I've read thru the series at least twice with the exception of Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim Butcher . I believe that the books keep getting better and better with each one. That being said, first books can either make or break a series. The first book did alot of world building which tends to make it the weakest link in the series.

Butcher has a set number of books he's writing for the series. He's been quoted as saying "He believes that a book should have beginning, middle, and end." The one thing that sets his books apart is that with every book all of the characters seem to grow in some way. Just my opinion though.

Mark The Harry Dresden series are well worth your while, my only regret is that I have read them all and now have to wait a long time for the next book.

Deborah Camp I agree that the first book is often weaker. You do have to build a world or platform for the rest of the series and, with each book, you grow as a writer and get to know your characters even better and deeper. I have read the first one and I think it's good enough to read a few more of them. I read a sample of his latest one in which Harry is a ghost, having been killed, and it really got my interest, which is why I started reading the series in the first place.

Naiya I didn't enjoy the first book flat out - I found the narrative voice irritating and the story manic and scattered. I did stick with the series at the urging of my die-hard-dresden-fan friend and book four or five really converted me. It gets legit good once it hits its stride, three books in.

Robert Williamson Mark wrote: "The Harry Dresden series are well worth your while, my only regret is that I have read them all and now have to wait a long time for the next book."

+1 to this. One of my favorite series.

Erika Deborah wrote: "I agree that the first book is often weaker. You do have to build a world or platform for the rest of the series and, with each book, you grow as a writer and get to know your characters even bette..."

Oh spoilers, thanks...

Probably I will read some day book 2 just to see if it convinces me, but I'm not gonna hurry after it.

Erika Thanks everybody for your opinions :-)

Eed99 I think the first book and to some degree the second to be among the weakest in the series, but the world and Harry engaged me and I kept reading.

I would try to read at least through the 4th book because I know that I consumed the 3rd through 5th books over a few days because I couldn't put them down.

If you still aren't liking the series by the end or the 4th book, then the rest probably isn't for you.

message 13: by Kal (last edited Dec 21, 2012 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kal Well, I am a fan, but maybe you wouldn't call me a die-hard fan.

The way I'd put it is this: you've read the first book and didn't hate it; none of the books are worse than that book.

More than that, I'd say each book is better than the one before it, up to Cold Days, or maybe Ghost Story... but even those two books are pretty cool too; I just felt like Ghost story brought back some stuff I didn't like from the earlier books (Harry's tendency to pause the narrative to say stupid, often sexist, things -- even if I agreed with what he said I'd find it annoying) and the latest book felt like it was the first not to escalate the action and/or drama on some level.

On the plus side, there are a few nice innovations in the story, like a long lived main character that we actually get to see being long lived (at least, there's a year long gap between each book; it's not like it all happens on the inside of a year or something), and romance stuff that doesn't seem to have the hand of fate in it like so many other fantasies. But the real power of this series is the aforementioned escalation. Almost every book has at least one crowning moment of awesome; some of them have a few. From the first book, I remember the elevator/scorpion scene and the part with the frog demon fondly... if you like those action sequences, there's more of it to come, and it gets bigger and better. :)

Yzabel Ginsberg I gave the first book 3 stars too, but I found the second and third one better. Can't say anything about the others, since I haven't read them yet, but I'm glad I stuck with the series so far. Though it's not the most impressive series ever, it fits a kind of reading I want to make regularly enough (UF, light reading, somewhat predictable yet not boring).

Allen Stroud I really enjoy them, but I can recognise a formula. If you found the first one predictable, I'd say look for something else.

If you like your Wizard's a little darker, you might try John Whitbourn.

A Dangerous Energy

message 16: by Izzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy I actually thought that they were really boring. I loved the world building and use of magic but I hated every single character, including Harry Dresden. I've read up to #3 and I don't want to read them ever again.

Are they predictable? In a way, yes. But if you get them out of the library then you're not losing anything.

Lauren Stoolfire They keep getting better so my answer is yes.

Shannon Appelcline I think books #1 and #2 are subpar. #3 is the first truly good one. I'd suggest reading that far, probably out of the library as you're not sure.

(Like Angie, I've read through the entire series twice, except for Cold Days.)

message 19: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric V Erika wrote: "So, probably by asking this I will run into some die hard fans of this series. But I want honest opinions about it.

I finished this first book, and thought it was very predictable. I thought it wa..."

My opinion is that they do get better. The first book was okay. Book two was better, Book three and after, I enjoyed alot.

Erika So, many people agree that the series start getting better after book 3, I think I will skip the second book and read the third one, and I hope it's good! :-)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ Erika wrote: "So, many people agree that the series start getting better after book 3, I think I will skip the second book and read the third one, and I hope it's good! :-)"

Please don't skip book two because it has information that will play out in later books.

☀Rachael☀ One word answer YES!

Rosie Erika wrote: "So, many people agree that the series start getting better after book 3, I think I will skip the second book and read the third one, and I hope it's good! :-)"

Don't skip any in the series just enjoy the way in which Butcher improves his craft over the series. Plus, as Angie notes above, events, and their consequences, from the earlier books resonate throughout the series.

Shannon Appelcline I think there'd be no great harm in seeing if you like book #3 and if so, immediately jumping back to book #2 (as it is important to the series as a whole).

message 25: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Thompson Keep going :)

Erika What I was thinking of doing is reading a summary of the second book on the internet, so I wouldn't have problems reading the third book.

I want to skip it, because I've heard people saying that book is not very good, that it's like the first one, so probably it will put me off the series. I want to see if the better books are of my taste.

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Romesh wrote: "I wasn't all that impressed by the first book either, but after reading some of the others I found I really liked the series"

that's exactly how I felt. I didn't care a lot for the firt book but promised a friend I'd read the second. Then if I didn't feel any different I'd stop. I'm now reading, devoring Cold Days. I love the series. And if a book is "just fun" what's wrong with that.

Christopher Hernandez Ask yourself what interested you in reading the first book to begin with. Was it the mystery angle? Was it the wizard angle? Then ask yourself what did you like or dislike about the story. I, like many who commented, feel the books got progressively better as the series progressed. It was Dresden's narration and wit that sold me at first. It reminded me initially of the character "Odd Thomas"

Staci I hadn't heard of Dresden before the short lived TV Show on SyFy...I liked the series but I love the books. Dresden is not supposed to be well liked...he doesn't care if he is liked. That's why I keep reading the series.

sushmitha The Dresden Files make for a light, engaging read.Dresden's wise-ass quips and mojo were pretty awesome. I've read the first three books and Storm Front was definitely weak.But Fool Moon was outright mindblowing!Fast-paced and action packed.Grave Peril would end up somewhere between the two on the totem pole of my ratings.Though that might be because I prefer furry werewolves to bloodsucking vampires,so yeah,I'm biased.I plan to stick with the series till the end.

infael Butcher once said there'd be about 15 books in the series. He was in town a few years ago. Cold Days definitely feels like he's wrapping up the series.

Shannon Appelcline He's more recently said 20-23 books and that CHANGES was the mid-point.

Brett After reading the first book I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Around the 4th or 5th book, this series really hit its stride though.

message 34: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris Ford Loved all the books in the series. only felt clever a few times that i predicted any outcomes. the people who think theyre predictable must be mensa members or something. because i was always guessing. i mean some things are predictable, is a woman or child in danger? how is harry gonna act? or innocent people in general. he's gonna rush in like a bull and whip ass usually. thats predictable

message 35: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed Some of the books in the series are better than others. The first book in the series I read was Proven Guilty; I read them in essentially random order after that (I was working in NYC; when I was on my Dresden kick, I'd pick up whichever one was on the shelf of the branch I was visiting). I was mildly disappointed once or twice, and mildly surprised once or twice. Ghost Story, on the other hand, I disliked.

message 36: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Bosward I really enjoyed the series. It's a light and easy read. I also downloaded the audio books to listen while I'm working. I really enjoyed the way it was written as an old PI style novel. It was just a little different to everything else that's out there. It had me laugh out loud a few times too. Some books are better than others but over all enjoyable :)

Karen I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to skip book #2, there is a lot more action and there are some key things that happen that are built upon in later books.

I have read the series through at least 3 times. I think it is worth the time and I really like Dresden and his sense of humor.

message 38: by Andor (last edited Jan 26, 2013 04:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andor I thought it a slightly above average 3/5 book as well, and the sequels too, but I kept reading them, because they were quick and mildly entertaining.

#7 was the first one I really liked, and then it kept getting better. (The introduction of Laciel was a big plus.)
I count #12, Changes, among my few favorite books, and #13, Ghost Story, was awesome too I think.

Though this newest episode, Cold Days, felt like the old books again. :( #4 revisited.

Barbara Rathbun I generally try not to give up on a series after the first book. I prefer to give the author a chance to develop the characters more. I own the whole series, pre-ordering new books as I become aware of them. I like the humor, the Chicago location and the irony.

message 40: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Indeed I have even chosen to read the comics, the new one has just started and is actually a brand new story called "Ghoul Goblin".

James Ritter Yes. I thought the first book was fun, but nothing special. The series definitely gets better and goes in unpredictable places.

Jonathan Jeffrey It's been along while since I read the first novel in the series. I know I liked it enough to keep reading and in some instances re-reading the books in this series. I AM HOOKED. Great stories in a fascinating world chock-full of compelling characters.

Tyler Burks I like the books a lot, but I found the further you go the less and less relatable Harry becomes as a character as he conquers bigger and better threats. They also all tend to follow more or less the same formula after a while. The side characters introduced however, (namely Thomas and the Carpenter family) are amazing and make up for it. They're a fun, fast read.

Gwenael I first encounter Harry Dresden in Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love. I then got myself the audiobooks read by James Marsters and he did a really tremendous job making even the first book very funny/interesting.
IMHO you might spoil the ending of a book you haven't read yet if you don't read them in the right order, and if you find yourself struggling with the second book maybe consider trying the audiobook, they are well worth it.

Sfowler Yes! It is absolutely worth it---the series just gets better and better. I am still angry the TV show was cancelled, but at least I found out about the book series.

TINNGG I "found" Harry in an anthology. I think it was the "manly scream of terror" that hooked me. Ok... :D I had trouble getting through the first book though. Not because it was bad, but I'm not much of an urban fantasy fan. That said, I've read all but the last 3. and liked most of them (in spite of their being from the dreaded urban fantasy genre).

Jacqueline The first book was Jim Butcher's final project in a college-level writing class. It was edited, and considered "good enough to publish" but some people feel it's a bit predictable/slow/ameateurish/etc.
I loved it! However, to answer your question I thought EVERY book in the series has been better that the last. (Definitely read them in order, or you'll get really confused). I'm up to *Ghost Story* in the series, I just haven't added everything to GoodReads yet.
--JM

Jacqueline BTW - re: The TV Series - I actually saw that first and liked it, and it led me to the books. I do like the books BETTER, but still, I have to give credit to the TV series for that. (And when I read the books, I picture Paul Blackthrone as Harry).

Sharon I have enjoyed the series, so I would say YES. I've read the entire series. However if you didn't like the first one you may not enjoy the rest....

Kelly I say yes, continue. Future books throw some great surprises at you, and the characters develop and become very three dimensional as you learn more about them...

« previous 1 3 4