Friends with Books discussion

Monthly Challenges > January & February 2013: The Twelve Olympians

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I thought to kick of the new year we'd do a challenge based on all the months. I ended up intertwining this with the twelve main Greek gods. Some months actually have Greek gods for that month and others have none so I added them to where it made the most sense. It's kind of late to plan this but I gave a bunch of options for you to choose from (:

January (Zeus)
Read a book you have been dying to read. (based on the month being named after Janus - the god of doorways)
Read a book with a prominent father figure.
Read a book about dreams (god of the sky)

February (Artemis)
Read a classic children's book. (goddess of childbirth)
Read a book that has a nature setting. (goddess of the hunt)
Read a book with an animal companion.

March (Mars)
Read a historical fiction with war in it's setting.
Read a book where the main character(s) has to deal with a major struggle.
Read a book that has a lot of action in it!

April (Aphrodite)
Read a book about Starcrossed lovers. (this is actually Aphrodite's month)
Read a really girly or pink book.
Read a book about a desire you have whether it be food, books, comfort, love, etc.

May (Demeter)
Read a light/fun read.
Read a book set in your favorite season (goddess of seasons)
Read a book with a prominent mother role. (goddess of fertility)

June (Hera)
Read a book that has family as a central theme.
Read a book where marriage is a central theme.
Read a book that has revenge in it.

July (Athena)
Read a book based upon something you would like to learn (goddess of handicrafts)
Read a book where plans are set that may or may not work out (goddess of strategic warfare)
Read a book where there is a character who's highly intelligent

August (Apollo)
Read a poetry book.
Read a book with music as a central theme.
Read a book where there is a prophecy.

September (Hermes)
Read a book that has an important message/moral to it.
Read a book about someone coping with a disease with in them or another character.
Read a book that has thieves in it.

October (Hephaestus)
Read a book based on your career choice. (god of blacksmiths...)
Read a book with 400 pages or more.
Read a book with an inventor in it.

November (Dionysus)
Read a play.
Read a book where art is a main theme.
Indulge in a favorite read.

December (Hades)
Read a book where there is a death or someone is dying.
Read a book with a ghost in it.
Read a book with kidnapping.

Mortal- 1-2 books

Demigod- 3-4 books

God/Goddess- 5-7 books

Titan- 8+ books

message 2: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (kenjenningsjeopardy74) Did you create all of this yourself? If so, it's quite an impressive array, and I'm sure it took some time to put together.

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Yeah, it took a little while. Thanks (:

message 4: by Adriana (last edited Dec 28, 2012 07:11AM) (new)

Adriana My plan:
Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey Being Henry David by Cal Armistead Charlotte Au Chocolat Memories of a Restaurant Girlhood by Charlotte Silver Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3) by Sara Shepard Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier Les Misérables by Victor Hugo Life is But a Dream by Brian James

From left to right: Zeus (dying to read), Artemis (nature setting), Aphrodite (pink book), Demeter (light read), June (revenge), Hermes (thieves), Hephaestus (400+ pages), and Dionysus (main character is artist)

Going for Titan!

message 5: by Adriana (last edited Jan 01, 2013 08:32PM) (new)

Adriana Got Artemis and Hera down already.

Being Henry David by Cal Armistead Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3) by Sara Shepard

message 6: by Nathan (last edited Jan 02, 2013 02:32PM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) geez Adriana - this is a great challenge! Let me see what my planned reads are and I'll see how many I can do!

EDIT: going for Demigod!!

1. March (Mars) -- (character deals with a major struggle) The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
2. July (Athena) -- (character who is highly intelligent) Another Life by Peter Anghelides
3. November (Dionysus) -- (favorite read) The Giver by Lois Lowry
4. December (Hades) -- (death) Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie

message 7: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Yay! Glad to see you joined in. I don't know if I already asked you but do you know of any Agatha Christie movies that came out about 5 to 4 years ago. I'm sure one did... I think it was called Kiss the Girls?

There was an actual death that this girl was looking into in this book I just read so I will have a Hades book.

The Liar Society (The Liar Society, #1) by Lisa Roecker
Adored this book! It was a nail biting mystery. It reminded me a lot of Veronica Mars which made me like it even more.

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I don't know of an Agatha Christie movie coming out any time recently... I'm positive there isn't a book called Kiss the Girls, so unless they just adapted a book for a movie and called it something different, I don't think it's AC. I could be wrong though, I have an awful memory and I wasn't really into AC that long ago so I couldn't say.

message 9: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I'll look it up on youtube to see if I find anything then. If so, I really want to read the book.

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Yeah, let me know what it is too because I've never heard of it!

message 11: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Found it! But the book is by James Patterson. It still looks like a good trailer even though me and James Patterson don't mix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC0Ul2...

message 12: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I've never read any Patterson. But he's popular. And one of those guys who writes adult and YA fiction, which always interests me because they are two very different demographics.

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I've read Witch and Wizard as well as the second book of the series The Gift by him... Never reading him again. I'm sure he has some better books but just no. Way too fast and childish. Maybe Alex Cross is better but his YA as far as I'm concerned sucks.

message 14: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Good to know! haha. I've never really had any reason to read anything by him. I don't know why but those authors that pump out like 12 books a year I usually stay away from. I mean, if you've only taken a month to write a book then really how good can it be?

message 15: by Adriana (new)

Adriana It's not a month actually. He has stories constantly going. They are at just different stages plus he has coauthors.

message 16: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Read Hermes:
Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier

I can't read Life is But a Dream because my library doesn't like me...

message 17: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Athena (a girl who's highly intelligent:
No and Me by Delphine de Vigan

message 18: by Emma (last edited Jan 27, 2013 10:09AM) (new)

Emma Olsen (emmanoelleolsen) | 43 comments Mod
This was a really good idea Adriana! I think I'll start the challenge.
Zeus (a book you've been dying to read) : The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan
I've been dying to read this forever!! I read the first two, and couldn't get my hands on the third. I just bought this from B&N

message 19: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I have it! But I'm worried to get into it. I need to read the other books over again before I am able to read it. I also have Mark of Athena but I haven't started it. The last book wasn't as great as I hoped so I'm also worried about reading the new one. I'm sure it's good.

message 20: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Charlotte Au Chocolat Memories of a Restaurant Girlhood by Charlotte Silver
A girly book for Aphrodite!

message 21: by Nathan (last edited Jan 27, 2013 10:46AM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Demigod ACHIEVED! ;P

1. March (Mars) -- (character deals with a major struggle) The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
2. November (Dionysus) -- (favorite read) The Giver by Lois Lowry
3. December (Hades) -- (death) Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie

message 22: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Congrats Trevor! By the way if you still want to be in the group I decided to keep it on with some new moderators to help (:

message 23: by Emma (new)

Adriana wrote: "I have it! But I'm worried to get into it. I need to read the other books over again before I am able to read it. I also have Mark of Athena but I haven't started it. The last book wasn't as great ..."

I agree about the Son of Neptune. It wasn't as amazing as as The Lost Hero. But trust me, MOA is SO GOOD. Read it!

message 24: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Adriana wrote: "Congrats Trevor! By the way if you still want to be in the group I decided to keep it on with some new moderators to help (:"

YAY! :D

message 25: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Noelle wrote: "Adriana wrote: "I have it! But I'm worried to get into it. I need to read the other books over again before I am able to read it. I also have Mark of Athena but I haven't started it. The last book ..."

Thanks! That helps with my decision. Now is when I get Jasper Jones so for that part of the challenge I'm going to say:
Boundless (Unearthly, #3) by Cynthia Hand
I was really dying to read and I really loved it!

message 26: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Did I read somewhere that this is continuing into February?

message 27: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Oh yes! I have to change that now.

message 28: by Nathan (last edited Feb 01, 2013 06:52PM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) YAY new goal. :D

God (7)
Completed: 3

1. January (Zeus) -- (dying to read) Jane Eyre
2. March (Mars) -- (character deals with a struggle) The Catcher in the Rye | Rating: 3 stars
3. May (Demeter) -- (light/fun read) Boy Meets Boy
4. July (Athena) -- (highly intelligent character) Ender's Game
5. October (Hephaestus) -- (career choice) Inspiring Life Stories Since 1912
6. November (Dionysus) -- (favorite read) The Giver | Rating: 5 stars
7. December (Hades) -- (death) Dumb Witness | Rating: 5 stars

message 29: by Emma (new)

May read: The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler
(Light/fun read) Plus, we're reading it this month in this book club!!

message 30: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Good luck Trevor!
You read it already Noelle? That was fast. I guess I need to catch up and read it already.