Who Came up with Person Man? discussion

Monthly or Wait-Until-Finished Reader?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonsears) Terrible topic name.

I started reading the final Locke & Key series, OMEGA, since it began last month and I'm now two issues in. I've never purchased books monthly so this is a totally different experience for me.

Anyone here read monthly or are you more of the type that wait until everything's done and stick to the trade paperbacks?

I'm thinking about giving the new 52 Batman series a look and wonder if it's worth it to read monthly or not?

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 30 comments Mod
I haven't bought anything monthly in years but in my experience, most of today's comics are paced with the inevitable trade paperback in mind and a lot of them aren't very satisfying on their own. I can't imagine reading something like Gotham Central one issue a month.

message 3: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonsears) Dan wrote: "I haven't bought anything monthly in years but in my experience, most of today's comics are paced with the inevitable trade paperback in mind and a lot of them aren't very satisfying on their own. ..."

Gotham Central would have been a huge test of my patience. Something like that definitely requires reading a full volume at a time.

message 4: by Sesana (new)

Sesana I read the trades, mostly because I don't have a local comic shop. It's also painfully true that too many books are written for the trade. That can be good when a book like Gotham Central or Locke and Key use the format for longer storyline, but some books just stretch out what should be one or two issue stories into thin, dull trades.

message 5: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 15 comments It depends on the series for me. I read most of my series monthly but some stories are better in trades. Superhero like Daredevil,Animal Man, Undestructible Hulk and weird thrilling,horror series like Swamp Thing,The Walking Dead is also monthlies. But American Vampire,BPRD is better read for me in trades. Most Vertigo series is better in Trades. Scalped i enjoyed the trades more than when i switched to monthlies.

Some comic stories just work better in reading 6-7 issues after each other like its chapters in a book. I wait for those comics. I also read many trades of old comics i havent read before.

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam | 7 comments I go back and forth as a comics reader, but for the last few years I've been buying monthly issues. I just enjoy the format more. Trades can sometimes stack up on my to-read pile, but single issues are easy to read right away. I think waiting for the trades actually saves a few bucks in the long run, but I prefer getting a little each month and always have something to look forward to that won't take six months or more to appear for sale. Also, if a series starts rubbing you the wrong way you can drop it whenever you want.

Conversely, if there's a series that is great it NEEDS monthly readers to ever make it to trades.

Currently for example I'm reading Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples and I look forward to each new issue like a little kid.

message 7: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 2 comments WEEKLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer weekly. If it isn't weekly, I don't mess with it !!!!!!!!!!

I prefer to read 52 issues a year, than 12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As in Manga !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!