Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2013 Challenge Archive > January Monthly Reading Challenge - Suggestions Thread

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Dec 19, 2012 12:48AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments January Monthly Reading Challenge

This thread is for suggestions and questions for the various categories. The thread for participants is HERE.

1. 'J' is for January: Read a book that starts with 'J' or by an author whose first or last name begins with 'J'.

2. Happy Birthday!: Read a book from a January birthday celebrant's GR bookshelf whose name/nickname starts with the same letter as yours OR match the date of your birthday (1-31) to a member on the January birthday list. Eg My name is Jane and my birthday is 13 August. I can either pick a January birthday celebrant whose name starts with 'J' or was born on 13 January.

If neither of these options work, select a match as close as possible (either side of the initial or date).
January Birthday List

3. Geography: Read a book whose author, character or setting is from Louisiana, USA. Louisiana is well known for New Orlean's Mardi Gras, so for this category you can also read a book centered around a celebration or involving a parade.

4. 'New Year' means New Year Resolutions! Read a book with a character that is trying to improve themselves, started in a new profession/job/life-phase or has moved to a new district/country.

5. National Stay Healthy Month. Read a book where good health or dealing with health issues is a key consideration. For example, read a book where a main character is an athlete, doctor, nutritionist/dietician, physiotherapist, or where the character is recovering from ill health.

6. 13 Jan - This is Rubbie Duckie's Birthday (Sesame Street) Read a book that features a child or children; or just read a children's book :) [Not a Young Adult book.]

7. 14 Jan - National Dress Up Your Pet day: Read a book with a pet in the storyline.

8. National Hugging Day and Make Your Dreams Come True Day are both in January: This is an easy category for everyone - Read a romance book! And a 'High 5' if your bookcover shows 2 {or more ;} people hugging!

9. Backwards Day is Jan 31: Two options.
* How do you organise your TBR shelf? Take a deep breath and select a book from the opposite end of your shelving (the last 20% of your 'normal' bookshelves).
OR
* Catering for those that don't have a TBR shelf, read a book that shows someone/something's back view or that 'takes you back' in time (a historical book or time-travel book that goes back in history).

10. Reader's Choice: Read any book of your choice.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Dec 19, 2012 01:32AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments Books set in Louisiana:
http://www.goodreads.com/places/1924-...
http://www.goodreads.com/genres/louis...
For the MM readers: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3... (You must be a member of the MM Romance Group) - please leave a message if you are interested in seeing this list and you aren't a member of this Group.)

Louisiana authors
http://www.writers.net/writers/state/19/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category...

message 4: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11197 comments Here's an ebook that's free on Amazon right now that has Louisiana as its setting.

Trouble in Mudbug Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #1) by Jana Deleon

message 5: by Traci (new)

Traci | 14 comments so is the challenge to do 1-10. Sorry I am new to the group

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11197 comments Hi Traci,

You can choose to do as many as you like, as few as 1 or as many as 10.

Welcome to the group and to the challenges! I hope you enjoy it here :)

message 7: by Traci (new)

Traci | 14 comments Thanks

message 8: by Makenzie (new)

Makenzie (makenziefay) | 496 comments I just downloaded Trailing by Kristin Louise Duncombe for free for my Kindle today!. The woman moves to New Orleans (though it seems she doesn't stay there long, so I don't know if this would count for Louisiana), but she's also starting a new life/job as a psychotherapist.

This one may work for #3 and #4 for anyone who's interested.

message 9: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Dec 20, 2012 02:35PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7545 comments I have a question. For #7, does the animal have to be a pet, or can it be any animal that is important to the storyline? For example, what about working animals, such as service dogs, race horses, etc? Also, do paranormal/sci fi animals count? I'm not talking about shifters, but things like hellhounds, or the dust bunnies in Jayne Castle's Harmony series.

message 10: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments The dust bunnies would definitely work Karen (with the added bonus that they dress up); I can't remember the hellhounds (haven't I made it that far yet?).

I'll make the ruling that if the animal(s) has a name and there is interaction with the key characters - then it can be counted as a pet. So a race horse that is generic won't qualify, but the racehorse 'Lucky in Love' would count if he gets the odd pat.

Hope that helps.

message 11: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Dec 20, 2012 02:40PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7545 comments Thanks, Jane!

Actually, the hellhounds aren't in the Harmony series, I was thinking of them in more general terms as paranormal critters - the hellhounds in Larissa Ione's Lords of Deliverance series, for example. Some of them definitely are pets, so based on what you said, they would qualify.

message 12: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2012 01:40PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments MountainKat (and Sandra) pointed out on the FAC: Kresley Cole thread that the Valkyrie from the Immortals After Dark series are from Louisiana. So they fit the 'character from Louisiana' :)

message 13: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21447 comments Jane, I'm looking for a little clarification for #9 where there are two options - are we able to use the second option even if we have a TBR? The first time I read it I thought you could only use it if you didn't have a TBR, but then I read it again and I'm not sure it says that. I can make it work either way, but it looks like things fall into place easier if I can read a historical there.

message 14: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jan 01, 2013 01:21AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments I'm happy for all members to choose between either option. I needed to create the second option for members like Jim who don't have a TBR list :)

message 15: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21447 comments Thanks Jane!

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "MountainKat (and Sandra) pointed out on the FAC: Kresley Cole thread that the Valkyrie from the Immortals After Dark series are from Louisiana. So they fit the 'character from Louisiana' :)"

*waves hi to Jane*

message 17: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments ;) !!!Hi Sandra!!!

message 18: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2013 03:41PM) (new)

MountainKat | 21447 comments Hi Jane, I'm back with another question. For #5, National Stay Healthy Month, does mental health qualify? Or does the primary basis of the story have to be around the illness and recovery if it needs to be about physical illness? Could it be instead about a secondary but still essential character that goes through a health trauma?

message 19: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2013 04:34PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments Absolutely - it should encompass mental as well as physical health. And it can be about any key character...

message 20: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21447 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Absolutely - it should encompass mental as well as physical health. And it can be about any key character..."

Cool! Thanks! I was actually trying to make the same book work in that spot, one character is seeing a therapist and another has a health crisis. So glad it works! Now I am off to juggle the books around! =P

message 21: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 1058 comments Many of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter books are set in New Orleans/LA.

Faith Hunter, author of Jane Yellowrock: Skinwalker & The Bloodring series, is from LA.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 26, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

Will hunger games do for category 3 , it did feature a parade and it was a so-called celebration for The Capitol.

message 23: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments Yup - I'll go with that Karen :) Sorry for the late reply - I didn't see the post! :(

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Its ok and thank you :)

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments PM me next time I take so long ;)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok ! I will :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Is there a page limit here? I just read a short story and it would work for no 7.

message 28: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21447 comments Karen wrote: "Is there a page limit here? I just read a short story and it would work for no 7."

Not unless it says there is!

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20404 comments No page limit :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you :)