The Memory Keeper's Daughter The Memory Keeper's Daughter question

should I read it?
Yvonne Yvonne Nov 29, 2012 12:44PM
So I am a little skeptical on this book, I don't usually like modern literature but I have heard some good things about this book. I got it at the library in a rush to find a new read. Is it worth reading? If not, give me some good suggestions, please and thank you!

I couldn't get on with this book no matter how much I tried, I watched the movie too and wasn't keen on that either.

It is a very good book. Heart-wrenching though.

i loved this book!

Rebecca (last edited Dec 01, 2012 11:36AM ) Nov 29, 2012 01:57PM   1 vote
I'm not sure if I can answer you - I can say personally I enjoyed it, although it is relatively predictable. It is emotive and thought-provoking, but not an intellectual book. I'd put it on par with Jodie Picoult's edgier stuff - controversial themes entwined with complex relationships that aren't always black and white.

What sort of authors do you read and enjoy normally?

I really enjoyed the book. I is hard to realize the damage done by the misjudgement of a moment.

By all means....read it....on some day that you have a choice to either read it or poke a stick in your eye....come to think of it, better to poke the stick. This had all the makings of a decent story....then the writer must have been pressured by her agent....put this in your 'time I will never get back' folder!

NO! I really disliked this book. Not worth the time when there are so many other good books out there!

It bummed me out. That's it.

I enjoyed reading this book. pretty good read.

deleted member Jul 04, 2013 01:44PM   0 votes
I really liked this book, I gave it to my sister-in-law to read she also agreed it was a good book.

I know I am way late in this discussion lol, but yes, definately read it! It was one of the first books that I read after discovering that I loved reading so much, and it is truely a page turner. Hope you liked it if you have read it already, and hope you like it if you are still waiting to read it :)

I really enjoyed this book..

I Love this book very much. I have read this before 2 years but still i am able to remember the story line. How much a lie tear the family apart and how the justifications made for each person mistakes and their innter feelings. Really Good Book to read.

Absolutely read it! One of the books that stayed with me for a long time, although,SPOILER ALERT I did not understand why the doctor told his wife she's had twins. I felt it would have been more feasable and easier to let her think she had only one child, and maybe have her find out another way?

Pamela Brucker This is on my favorite all time books
Apr 18, 2014 09:19AM

I didn't really care for this book. It was predictable, which for me makes a book boring and tedious to read. mostly read classics, as well, and found that this book was not worth my time.

Haidi - I loved The Lies of Loch Lamora too but don't see the relevance in relation to The Memory Keepers Daughter - they couldn't be more different! I would advise, read it if you have nothing else to read. Its ok. Just.

I'm intrested to know if you did end up reading it. I had mixed reviews when I read it but I'm glad I did. I have just come across another of hers which I am keen to read.

Yes it was a good book.

I think its worth reading. I don't remember the specifics of this book because I read it a long time ago when it first came out, but I remeber enjoying it very much. I am surprised to see several negative comments about the book on Goodreads as well as on other websites, but I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinions - which is why you should read it anyway. Read it and form your own opinions. Its one of those books that will either hit you and you'll love it, or you won't like it at all. Its worth taking the risk!

I thought this book was great. Amazing. A psychologically intriguing work, with poetic prose and powerful writing. I highly recommend it.

NO. Do not read this book. It is a terrible, terrible book. A waste of time. You have been warned.

I really enjoyed this book so I would answer yes

I loved this book! It was also made into a TV movie which I enjoyed as well. I agree with Penny, though, it was a misjudgement of a moment, but very real to that time period.

You know, I've started this book a few times, but it just doesn't seem to hold my attention? Idk what it is about it..I started reading it like 2 years ago, and was reading it off and on..I think I got to chapter 14 and then started another book and forgot all about it until you mentioned it. The story line is too slow for me, I think. I'll finish it eventually..ask me again in like a year or so lol

It's been a long while sense I've read this book, all I can say is I still remember it. So, Yvonne let us know what you thought about "The Memory Keeper?"

I loved loved loved this book!

MOST DEFINITELY!!!

I read this book but found it too slow, it was an effort to finish this book.

I am at present reading this book: A walk Across the Sun, and cant keep it down, I would highly recommend this book!!!!! its very sad, but very well written, a book you cant keep down as its very gripping and the harsh realities of life these 2 orphan girls had to endure.

Yvonne wrote: "So I am a little skeptical on this book, I don't usually like modern literature but I have heard some good things about this book. I got it at the library in a rush to find a new read. Is it worth ..."

Definately read it! There was also a movie made from the book-I believe it was on Lifetime. It is well written and you won't want to put the book down. I would recommend reading it.

In my review I described it as a bad Lifetime movie and I think that is fairly accurate.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I found it overall an enjoyable read, a bit slow at times, not something I would have normally read but was ok. It skimms over a long span of years in just one book so it jumps years at a time.

I personally read a book recently that I enjoyed more than any other book ever, "The Lies of Locke Lamora" it's part of a set, we are waiting for book 3 to come out next year but it was so funny, clever, enthralling, couldn't put it down. I highly recommend you looking it up here on Goodreads and reading about it. Brilliant read.

YES !!!!! Great read !I work in a library and everyone who has read has enjoyed it and we even have a couple of bookclubs using this book. Read and enjoy :)

I hated this book. I disliked the author's writing style. And I really felt nothing for any of the characters. It lacked heart in my opinion, which is not an easy thing given the content.

yesssssssssss! This is the best book I read in my entire life!

Michael I read all the time and my opinion stands:)
Oct 18, 2013 07:11AM

It's been years ago since I read it, but it was very good. Sad...

This was one of the dullest books I ever read, rather tried to read. I couldn't get past the first 50 pages, the opening scenes are such a drag and I found non of the characters likeable enough to push me through. But you could give it a try, you may have a different opinion from mine.

I read this book in 2008 and looked up my review--I gave it two stars. I can say I enjoyed half the book, as I found the story line following the nurse raising the daughter with Down Syndrome more interesting and uplifting than the story line for the parents. I still don't get why the husband didn't say "We have a son" and and leave it at that. That would have made more sense.

Don't even bother.

If you're used to reading more classic novels, then I think you'd like this one. It's literary,meaning the character development and the relationships between the characters is what this book is about. It's not a plot-driven, fast paced thing. It's thoughtful. Naturally some characters are likeable and some are less so, just as in real life. I'd recommend it.

It was ok. A fluffy, melodrama really. Thought the chapters on the daughter growing up were definitely the next bits.

yes .. do it read .

I really liked it so much.

Personally I loved the book. I just finished it. I would recommend it to people who like dramas. It's also one of those books that gives you lots to talk about! It'd be a great buddy read.

AMAZING book, i would highly recommend it!

I, unfortunately, disagree with many of the comments here. I didn't find this one to be all that great. There are many aspects of it that are terribly unrealistic and while I can take the absurd from time to time, this one just didn't let me stretch belief far enough to accept some of the situations. I'm afraid I don't recommend this one.

I enjoyed this book and would recommend reading it. If you like it, you may also enjoy 'Close My Eyes' by Sophie McKenzie.

I would not recommend it. It was an effort to finish the book. To me all the emotional drama sounded like exaggerated whining but many people like it so maybe it`s just me.

Short answer: YES! :)

Yes, I think you should. I enjoyed it and it quite captured me when I was reading it, and that doesn't happen too often.

« previous 1