Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > problem with new edition

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janko (new)

Janko (yanosh) | 3 comments I tried to add another edition of book Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett by clicking on "Other editions" and then "add a new edition". However when I clicked save, it was saved separately as different book. Can someone help me to add it as new edition of existing book and tell me what I did wrong?
Original book:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...
Edition added by me:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Yeah, unfortunately that's a limitation of the "add a new edition". I've combined the editions for you!

message 3: by Janko (new)

Janko (yanosh) | 3 comments Thank you for your (very quick) help!

But I have one question. Does that mean that I can't add new editions because they will always be saved separately?

message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Janko wrote: "Thank you for your (very quick) help!

But I have one question. Does that mean that I can't add new editions because they will always be saved separately?"

That is how Goodreads works. A new book is a new book. When it is fully created THEN we decide whether to combine it and with what. The alternative would probably be everything getting combined more or less at random. Chaos, panic, firestorms!

message 5: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments You can add the book, but you'll have to post back into this group to have a librarian combine it for you.

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments You can add new editions! But they'll show up as new books until you (or any librarian) manually combine them with the existing editions.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments Janko - You can add new editions but must either post here to have them combined or combine them yourself as you seem to be a librarian

Caroline - you will need to post in the Librarians group to have them combined since you are not a librarian

message 8: by Janko (new)

Janko (yanosh) | 3 comments Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

message 9: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Caroline wrote: "Anyway, sorry if I'm doing anything wrong. First day here."

You mean first day on Goodreads?

message 10: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Caroline wrote: "Actually, second day. I found this site yesterday."

I wonder if there is a prize for the quickest librarianship application. Good luck anyway.