Mount TBR 2013 Reading Challenge discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak (12 Books) > Hayes is starting small in 2013

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayes (last edited Jun 29, 2013 05:27AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Will be working too hard in 2013 to try for anything more than Pike's peak... but that is good news, so I'm not complaining!

1. 07 jan The Mummy Case and Review
2. 08 mar The Chalk Circle Man and Review
3. 11 mar Maus, Vol. 1: My Father Bleeds History and Review
4. 15 apr Birds of a Feather and Review
5. 04 june The Lovely Bones and Review
6. 16 june Lion in the Valley and Review

The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3) by Elizabeth Peters The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas Maus, Vol. 1 My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2) by Jacqueline Winspear The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold Lion in the Valley (Amelia Peabody, #4) by Elizabeth Peters

Reading now

Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall Stasiland Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall by Anna Funder

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Off Challenge
Maisie Dobbs and Review
Moby-Dick and Review

Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

message 2: by Sera (new)

Sera Try not to work too hard in 2013. Life is short so I hope that you will have time for some fun, too :)

Good luck with the challenge.

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Thanks, Sera. But seeing as I have been unemployed for over 5 years a little work is a good thing. Even a lot of work is a good thing! So I'm happy :-)

message 4: by Sera (new)

Sera Awww, then it is great news!! Congratulations. I am very happy for you, as well :)

message 5: by Bev (new)

Bev | 329 comments Mod
Glad you've got the good news of a new job! Good luck with it!

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Thank you, bev and sera. :-)

message 7: by Hayes (last edited Jun 26, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Some possibilities for 2013

Seabiscuit
La casa del silenzio
Heros
Tractors in Ukranian
Grafton Omnibus (3 books)
And the Ladies of the Club
The Long Secret
Animal Veg. Min.
Chinese Maze Murder
Unsuitable Attachment
A great deliverance
Beat the Reaper
Suitable Vengeance
Rumpole
Fever 1793

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 51 comments Beat the Reaper by John Bazell?? That's on my list too! Let me know if you're interested in a buddy read. Don't worry, it's far down on my list, (#15, I think) but I always bump up buddy reads. Just let me know if/when you're interested and most importantly, can find the time to read it.

message 9: by Hayes (last edited Jan 08, 2013 10:55AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) One down. I confess, it was half read in 2012, but I'm going to count it anyway. It's going to be tough this year!

Review of The Mummy Case: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Good job! :)

message 11: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Thanks, Simran!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Simran wrote: "Congrats on the work, Hayes !! :)"

I second that!! Yay!

message 13: by BoekenTrol (new)

BoekenTrol You have quite an impressive list for this new year :-) And, you've closed your first one too, well done!

I hope that next to your very busy job you'll still find (lots) of good reading time!

message 14: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Thanks ladies :-)

message 15: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Congrats on the job! I am up for buddy reads too!

message 16: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Oh good!

Thanks Michelle :-)

message 17: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Well, I finished the Whale, which doesn't count for the challenge. And I have started the Hussy (Tess of the BF D'Urbervilles), but that doesn't count for the challenge either.

*sigh*

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

That's how it always seems to work with these challenges, doesn't it?

message 19: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Certainly does... But I am determined to make a dent, albeit a small one, in the pile. Just 3 more books to go, and I will have read all the books I acquired in 2009.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, that's something! I'm starting on a book my brother recommended (this week). I haven't read anything he has recommended over the years, so I decided to give this one a try. I have 1-1/2 read for the challenge, so I guess I'm still on track.

message 21: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Jeannette wrote: "Well, that's something! I'm starting on a book my brother recommended ..."

I never read the things my brother recommends! He reads mostly history and I don't usually. I hope yours chose something good.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

He reads a lot of sci-fi, history, alt-history, and fantasy. He also wants to take a stab at Dickens this year (@~@) He recommended The Drawing of the Dark, which is labeled as historical fantasy. We'll see....

message 23: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) At least your brothers read something other than the TVGuide... :p

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

hahaha! My brother is a voracious reader. He always has multiple books going.

message 25: by Hayes (last edited Jan 28, 2013 08:37AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Funny, Tracey.

My brother reads a lot of non-fiction, which is incredible actually, seeing how he suffered with dyslexia when he was at school and university. He has a hard time with fiction, actually. But he manages pretty well with history. Probably because it's linear.

message 26: by La_mariane (new)

La_mariane What do you think of The Chalk Cirlcle Man? I read it last year and I found it so-so.

message 27: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I haven't started it yet. Probably tomorrow or Wednesday.

message 28: by Hayes (last edited Feb 02, 2013 11:27PM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Still haven't started Chalk Circle Man... am wallowing in a "bookring" (so off challenge) The Bridge on the Drina which I probably wont finish. I like the idea, but it's the kind of book that I need to read in small chunks and put away for a while, but it must go on to its next reader. My husband probably has a copy in Italian somewhere, so I may read that.

message 29: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (SylviaHartstra) Hayes wrote: "Still haven't started Chalk Circle Man... am wallowing in a "bookring" (so off challenge) The Bridge on the Drina which I probably wont finish. I like the idea, but it's the kind of book that I ne..."

What's your opinion about De brug over de Drina. You said you will read it in little chunks. Why? I read it years ago and never finished it, because my imagination was too vivid and the book gave me the creeps.

message 30: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) There is that problem as well. I had been warned (fortunately) about the "pole" scene at the beginning, and so was able to read around it.

It's a fascinating overview of the history of the area, and one I find particularly compelling: Yougoslavia/Bosnia Hersegovina is right next door, after all, and my husband's grandmother was from Slovenia, a little farther to the north.

But there's just so much of it, and I don't really have the time to take with it. I need to look up map references, and history references (I spent half an hour reading about Hungarian and Turkish involvement in the area, and just scratched the surface). But my editing job is calling me, and I have to get back to work!

So I will stop reading.

message 31: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I can answer that one, Simran. It's all full of beheadings, and impalinations (or whatever you call them), and a lot of other things the people of the area were famous for way back when... it's very violent.

message 32: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (SylviaHartstra) Simran wrote: "Ahhh ok !! I didnt wanna bother you at work but thanks Hayes !! :)"

What Hayes says was indeed the reason why I put it away. I was imagening how the Ottomans punished people by putting them on a stack alive. I felt nauseous about it. However, I was much younger then - LOL - maybe I should give it a try once again.

message 33: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (SylviaHartstra) Hayes wrote: "There is that problem as well. I had been warned (fortunately) about the "pole" scene at the beginning, and so was able to read around it.

It's a fascinating overview of the history of the area, a..."

You're absolutely right. It's a fascinating part of history. The whole Ottoman empire and their occupation of the Balkan region. I have bought a book several years ago The Ottoman Centuries, which might give an inside view, but as it is a very bulky one I have start reading it yet. I love history.

message 34: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Finally finished Chalk Circle Man. Review linked up there in message #1.

It was OK. I will continue the series.

message 35: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) #3 Maus, Vol. 1: My Father Bleeds History and Review

I'm counting this one for the challenge... I've had it kicking around th ehouse in Italian for centuries. Then I had the opportunity to read this one in English. I'll read the second volume in Italian, also to see how it was translated.

message 36: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) #4, Birds of a Feather and REview up on the list...

there are a few more that I will add after dinner.

message 37: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) took a very long dinner...

#5, the Lovely Bones, which I didn't finish, but will count anyway.

message 38: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar | 116 comments I was wondering what happened. LOL.

message 39: by C. (last edited Jun 28, 2013 08:51AM) (new)

C. (Riedel) Italian is my favourite food! The nice thing is when my fiancé & I became vegetarian several years back, we have kept right on eating all those wonderful pastas and sauces. Mmmmm.... Cute comments about brothers reading (oddly a second reference to my brethren in a row; seldom occurs here)!

The one gets right into politics or business textbooks. The other likes a variety of autobiography, humour, and fiction. His daughter is 2. You bet what Aunt Carolyn sends as gifts are books.

message 40: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Simran wrote: "Hayes wrote: "took a very long dinner...

#5, the Lovely Bones, which I didn't finish, but will count anyway."

Creative accounting hehe :)"

Hey... I got halfway through!

message 41: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Simran wrote: "Halfway schmafway lol !!!"

All right, smartypants... :-D

C. wrote: "Italian is my favourite food! "

It is easy being vegetarian here, C. And keep sending those books to your niece... It's never too early for a book!