Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Loeb Classical Lib #319 (Roman Antiquities
Policies & Practices > Loeb Library and titles ?

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian (traveller1) | 88 comments The Loeb Classical Library seeks to produce English translations of the works of the ancients. Great idea.

I have noticed that on gr the title of these works include the series # and often mentions the Loeb Library.

My understanding is that Loeb wished its titles to be the only title of the original work. Also, the while the individual volumes are numbered they are not a series in the usual sense of the word.

My inclination is that these titles should be emended so as to show only the title. Can I have some advice on this please?

e.g.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55...

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I have fixed the title on the one you linked to remove the Loeb library info. I am not sure whether the English or Greek(?)/Latin(?) title is correct, since the book is in English, but the cover doesn't show the English title.

I added Loeb Classical Library, No. 152 to the edition field, which is the policy for these types of items.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian (traveller1) | 88 comments Ok, but, like, o man, there are what, a thousand more in the same situation. Who's going to fix these?

message 4: by Emma (last edited Aug 11, 2017 07:39AM) (new)

Emma | 71 comments I'm interested to fix it.

Though I would suggest fixing it by making a GR-series of it. Like the other series we have.
The new series would be called Loeb Classical Library, and it would be easy to draw in the books (since currently most LCL references are still in the title) and give the books their right numbers via the GR Series Editing page.

Then all books are gathered and the (Loeb Classical Library # xyz) can be removed from the title field following the list of the series.
The other upside of it being made into a GR-series is that it is in fact a series. And there are collectors of that LCL-series as well.

The most obvious downside of this approach would be that in those cases where Loeb Classics have been combined with other editions of the same work that are not LCLs, a separation must be done, to withdraw the LCL from that edition, otherwise (I think) all the editions might be labeled LCL which is decidedly wrong.
At present I don't know if LCLs have been combined with other editions, or if that has happened often. The LCLs often consist of a diversity of works, so they may have been rather difficult to combine.
And should they have been combined to begin with? The thread about dual language books seems to indicate that Otis (in 2007) said no. In that case separating the few combined ones might be a positive by product of this project.

Please let me know if there are major objections to create a new Gr-series and draw all the relevant Loeb books into them.

message 5: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments Emma wrote: "Though I would suggest fixing it by making a GR-series of it. Like the other series we have. ..."

It's not a series by Goodreads standards.

They don't have a common set of characters or common setting. It doesn't apply to all editions of a work, etc.

Listopia would be the proper way to handle it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 4627 comments This is like this "Looking for a Project" thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma | 71 comments Melanti wrote: "Listopia would be the proper way to handle it"

I could do the required changes to each and everyone of the LCLs, while building the list.

But only if there is a way I can build a Listopia list without people already 'helping' and adding stuff in the build up phase, so that I can go methodically through the list (starting with #1 Argonauts) until I've got them all.
Is that possible. To hide a list until it's ready to be published.
Or make it non-editable (for a time)?
Because trying to be complete with the LCLs when creating a list like this, when the titles are entered in a random way by others, and then trying to figure out if which titles are still missing is a pain I don't want to.

Do you know a way to hide a list until it's ready to be published?
Or make it non-editable (for a time)?

message 8: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments You won't be able to add them all yourself anyway, since there's more than 100.

But, not that I'm aware of. I know Superlibrarians can lock a list so it's static, but then it's not editable by anyone.