Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Looking for a Project? > Edition/Publisher Words in Title

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jan 29, 2017 05:51PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments A project for any librarian, but perhaps particularly for new librarians.

One could probably work for years cleaning up all works of a title where one (or more) editions has this in its title. I learned so much doing this type of work.

Dover Thrift
Oxford Classics
Wordsworth Classics
Norton Critical Editions
Bantam Classics
Blue Bonnet Classics
Piccadily Classics
Puffin Classics
SparkNotes Literature Guide Series
Forgotten Books
Anniversary Edition
Easyread Large Edition
Classic Collection
Broadview Literary Editions
Enriched Classics
Yesterdays Classics

Bilingual
Annotated
Illustrated
Large Print

message 2: by Philip (last edited Jun 29, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Other good sized ones:

Classic Reprint
Scholar's Choice

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments I've been working on Dodo Press, filling in time when my brain gets tired from more demanding projects.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 196 comments I've worked on Classic Reprint and Forgotten Books when I have time to. Usually I'm so busy cleaning up authors that I know that I rarely have time to hunt for anything to do!

I mostly just wanted to say thanks for adding threads like this, because as a new librarian I wasn't sure if it was okay to edit such things out of titles, and threads like these really gave me confidence to fix things! :)

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 10, 2016 07:18PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Dodo Press just crashed through the 10,000 barrier! (or floor, depending on your point of view)

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1770 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Dodo Press just crashed through the 10,000 barrier! (or floor, depending on your point of view)"

Great job! I know how exciting it was when PNR got below 10K, so that's great!

message 7: by Hannah (last edited Oct 10, 2016 07:31PM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 196 comments Wow--they do drive me nuts!

Kudos for working hard on them.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Millington | 163 comments When I get a few spare minutes I've been working on Penguin Classics and Oxford World's Classics. Should keep me occupied for a while!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Chris wrote: "When I get a few spare minutes I've been working on Penguin Classics and Oxford World's Classics. Should keep me occupied for a while!"

Another great project! Thanks!

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
This search pulls up both books with the imprint Penny Books in their title, but also those from the imprint Penny Dreadful Collection.

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=Pe...

message 11: by Ayshe (last edited Nov 01, 2016 08:12AM) (new)

Ayshe | 3069 comments Classic Reprint/Forgotten Books ones usually have in the description:
"About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com"
which should probably be removed as well considering that the description field should not include links to external sites.

message 12: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Nov 12, 2016 06:42PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Seeing some of these.

Author's Ed

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 7226 comments I'm looking through the "thriller" or "a thriller" in titles (really hate that I must admit)

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
Lachgas wrote: "I'm looking through the "thriller" or "a thriller" in titles (really hate that I must admit)"

Be sure you are not stripping out valid series data.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Tredition Classics in title

message 16: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4110 comments Found quite a few "Penguin Twentieth Century Classics"

message 17: by David (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4110 comments If anyone ever needs more: "Hamlyn All Colour" and variants thereof in title. A small few are the real title, but most are not.

https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

message 19: by David (last edited Mar 04, 2017 09:06AM) (new)

David Raz (davidraz) | 4110 comments Ayshe wrote: "War College Series: https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8..."

May as well https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8... same books more or less

message 20: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3069 comments David wrote: "May as well https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8... same books more or less..."

Listed in #2.

It would be useful if they are removed by the import jobs (for future records at least).

message 21: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 18, 2017 05:02PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments May not be included with the search for Dover Thrift:

Dover Pictorial Archive
Dover Knitting, Crochet, Tatting, Lace
Dover Needlework Series
Dover Books on Anthropology and Folklore
Dover Books on Americana
Dover Value Editions
Dover Fine Art, History of Art
The Cambridge Dover Wilson Shakespeare
Dover Art Instruction
Dover Art Library

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 196 comments Ashley (She Just Reads) wrote: "Just to make sure I understand, any books with publisher/edition information in the title should be edited?

For example, while working on classic reprint I am coming across the following in titles..."

Yes...the edition info belongs in the edition field and the publisher info in the publisher field. Descriptive words can safely be removed (like "a novel", "classic reprint", etc) that are not edition and publisher specific.

Abridged or unabridged info goes in the edition box also. So it could say "Signet classics, abridged" etc in that box.

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 196 comments Sure! It's always nice to see another librarian starting work on this, because of the sheer volume of work that needs doing. :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments I agree, Hannah, it's good to see others working on these. I freely admit to not being as diligent as I could be in editing out other terms I might see along the way.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Literary Thoughts Edition

https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

Note that most of these also have the author in the title.

message 26: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 25, 2017 02:04PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Adding [microform] to this thread, although it is a format rather than edition. But there are as of today, over 5000 entries, so something to fill in when one has a moment or two.

message 27: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 4625 comments Thanks, Elizabeth.

Also note that the Literary Thoughts Edition works have a link to the Literary Thoughts website at the bottom of the description. As external links are not permitted within the description, that line should be removed.

message 28: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 29, 2017 07:47AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Dobby0390 wrote: "Thanks, Elizabeth.

Also note that the Literary Thoughts Edition works have a link to the Literary Thoughts website at the bottom of the description. As external links are not permitted within the ..."

Thanks for the heads up on this - I had been aware of the ForgottenBooks/Classics Reprint ones, but I think had not paid attention to Literary Thoughts.

message 29: by Dobby (last edited May 29, 2017 07:19AM) (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 4625 comments They're easy to miss, because LT puts such a lot of extraneous stuff at the beginning of each listing; you have to scroll down quite a bit in some cases to see that the last entry is a promo for their website. I don't know how many of these I'd done before I saw that last line. O_o

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma | 74 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "A project for any librarian, but perhaps particularly for new librarians.

One could probably work for years cleaning up all works of a title where one (or more) editions has this in its title. I l..."

Loeb Classical Library.

Kirsten Bossing 2021 (chasedanger) | 43 comments I'm bumping this back up to the top, chaps, because Classic Reprint is desperate for a cleaning and I fancy a mindless task to keep my podcasts company :)

message 32: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Kirsten never has enough time wrote: "I'm bumping this back up to the top, chaps, because Classic Reprint is desperate for a cleaning and I fancy a mindless task to keep my podcasts company :)"

Yeah, good to work on it, but I do not see that as ever ending.

Kirsten Bossing 2021 (chasedanger) | 43 comments It probably never will, but in the process I'm cleaning a bunch of authors so it's really satisfying anyway!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Kirsten never has enough time wrote: "It probably never will, but in the process I'm cleaning a bunch of authors so it's really satisfying anyway!"

When you do Classic Reprint, in the description, the "about the publisher" and everything below it needs to be deleted.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Just now seeing "Vintage Contemporaries" in a title. Might be a shorter one.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Another good sized one.

War College Series

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Might be a quickie for someone:

Reading Rainbow Book

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Cassette in title is a large one

message 39: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jan 13, 2019 07:10AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Picture Puffins is medium, 300+

Done as of 1/13/2019 per Post #64

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Viking Kestrel Picture Books, small project, fewer than 100

message 41: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 02, 2019 07:11PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Done. See post 66

Picture Lions - fewer than 200

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments An I Can Read Book - in excess of 500 titles

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Fantasy and Horror Classics - approaching 500 titles

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Galaxy Books - under 200 titles

message 45: by Christa绮思 (new)

Christa绮思 (dolldalera) | 302 comments I've been working on the Large Print Edition ones over the last few months, whenever I remember to. Have absolutely lost count of how many I've done so far.

I have to agree though - it feels like a never-ending task; but correcting the errors feels satisfying nonetheless. :D

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Original Classic Edition - a big one, search says over 3000 titles with these words

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments a Weiser Books Collection, about 100 titles

message 48: by Karoline (last edited May 06, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

Karoline Lien (karolinelien) | 13 comments I feel like this is a great place to start out to help with edits - not too overwhelming! But I am wondering, i.e. if I do "[Publisher] Editions" Dover Thrift Edition, or Literary Thoughts Edition, I do not add that in the "Edition" field? Only in the publisher field? The Edition field is more "Large print" etc? Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7008 comments Karoline wrote: "I feel like this is a great place to start out to help with edits - not too overwhelming! But I am wondering, i.e. if I do "[Publisher] Editions" Dover Thrift Edition, or Literary Thoughts Edition,..."

I add to edition field when it is not obvious that it is the publisher. And thanks for working on any of these.

message 50: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5036 comments I would say that "Dover Thrift Edition" is an edition statement, it just happens to include the publisher's name :) Usually I will put it in the edition field, as in this case Dover doesn't seem to have a Dover Thrift imprint, just itself (Dover), which sometimes releases classics etc. in their cheap Dover Thrift Editions. Theoretically another publisher could also be releasing Thrift Editions, so keeping "Dover" makes it clear that it's the Dover Thrift Edition, and not say Penguin (who don't have a Thrift Edition series that I'm aware of!).

« previous 1