Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Help Me Pick! ... please :)

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ejsanti) | 3 comments Hi all! I'm new to the group, not-so-new to Good Reads. Nice to meet ya. :)

This is *sort of* a recommendation request, with a twist. I've got the list already put together; I'm just asking which series to read first.

I've spent hours upon hours over the last few weeks searching through my Good Reads list of recommendations, even more hours scouring posts about UF/PNR recommendations, and I've even dipped my toes into the waters of a couple series.

And frankly, I'm feeling a bit discouraged. Not that the two series I tried weren't good, they just weren't really what I was hoping for (No, I'm not going to list them - they really were good, and I intend to go back to them. I just don't want them to influence the next bit here).

So, below is a list of potential series that I've added to my "To Read" shelf. What I'm looking for is everyone's recommendation as to which series I should start next.

Just as a reference...I enjoy first-person POV the most, I like my heroines strong-willed, funny and capable, and, since my wonderful fiancee is safely across the room and ensconced in television, I will say that I absolutely LOVE big, strong, intelligent and handsome love interests. I'm not adverse to the love triangle, quadrangle, or hell, even the occasional octagon (Anita Blake knows what she's doing). Though, I think I would spontaneously combust if I were to suddenly find myself in a room with Jean-Claude, Bones, Curran, Adam Hauptman, Barrons, Dmitri, and Reyes Farrow. Okay, for safety's sake let's keep it to just triangles.

Here's the list (in no particular order):

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts) - Stacia Kane
Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks) - Jennifer Rardin
Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush) - Becca Fitzpatrick
Blood Bound (Unbound) - Rachel Vincent
Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom) - Devon Monk
Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian) - Diana Rowland
The Summoning (Darkest Powers) - Kelley Armstrong
Unearthly (Unearthly) - Cynthia Hand

Just list out which one(s) you think I should start with, and, if you're feeling particularly helpful, the reason(s) why.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say!

-EJS

message 2: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I've only read two of your listed series.

Downside Ghosts is fabulous, although it's pretty dark and gritty. The heroine is a drug user, so if that turns you off, I'd stay away. However, if you feel adventurous, definitely give it a try. I mean, Terrible's in it, and he's like, the most antihero hero, ever, and he's awesome. If you read it, you'll see why my post just turned all rambly. lol :)

If you want a lighter mystery feel, go with Jaz Parks. It's got a great set of characters who are friends, and they solve different mysteries, and it's got a good romance. Also, it's complete.

It all really depends on what kinds of books you want to read, and whether or not you like darker or lighter books.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 2656 comments Mod
Ok, I'm going to second the Jaz Parks series--mainly cause that's the only one of the series that I've read of the ones that you have listed. I liked the hero, the heroine and even for the most part, the stories. PLUS (and this is a biggie sometimes) the series has ended, so you know what the final outcome is going to be when you get to the end of the last book.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ejsanti) | 3 comments Yeah, Jaz Parks was up there for that reason. I like not having to wait. Sort of bittersweet though, since it's always a bit sad when it ends.

I've been waffling on Unholy Ghosts precisely because of what you mentioned, Brianna. I think I'll just suck it up and try it eventually, though.

Has anyone else read the other series??

message 5: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments I've only read the Jaz Parks series by Rardin. It was good, plenty of action, mystery, and humor (especially sarcastic), and sexual tension, but no sex. The "hero" and "heroine" are both strong willed and really good characters.
The Armstrong series is on my TBR list.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ejsanti) | 3 comments Haha okay Jaz Parks it is then. :)

Thanks you three. I appreciate the input!