Who's Your Author? discussion

Paranormal Writers > Christine Feehan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mickey (last edited Feb 23, 2009 11:46AM) (new)

Mickey | 5 comments I don't know how many of you all keep-up with Christine Feehan's story line in her Carpathian books, but I was curious to see what any of you think her next Carpathian book is going to be about. I was a little disappointed in Dark Curse (her latest in the Carpathian series). I did not really like how depressing the ending was.
What do you think? Do you think that the question of how to permanently get rid of Xavier is ever going to happen? Which pair do you think the next novel is going to be based on? Will Skylar ever be comfortable with Dimitri?
I don't read any of Feehan's other books beyond her Carpathian series, but I figured that someone needed to start a thread about her and her book :)

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments That's so funny because a bunch of us in this group have been discussing her and all her different series.

I wish I could say I'm that far along in her Carpathian series, but I've only read the first book. So I'm of no help lol.

I can say that her other series about the ghostwalkers is good lol. I'm set to start the newest one: Murder Game

message 3: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments McKayla,

The last Dark book I read is Manolito's (Dark Possession.) I'm planning to read Dark Curse for my March Challenge, and I know Dark Slayer is coming out this year, which is picking up on the Malinov story line.

message 4: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4055 comments Sorry I think I stopped at Dark Fire that was like book 5 or something.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lexnick) I'm really hoping to start the carpathian series soon, but I've only read the Drake Sisters series and really like them.

message 6: by Mickey (last edited Feb 23, 2009 10:14PM) (new)

Mickey | 5 comments Lauren: I was thinking about starting her Drake Sisters series. I have heard from many people that if you like her Carpathian series, then you will like that one.

Yz: I did not know that she was picking-up the Malinov line. That should be very interesting, considering one of them was already found to be a vampire. Wow, I am really excited now!

Jess: That's funny, because my friends and I have been talking about the books too. They are the one's who suggested I post the topic (I am still trying to convince them to join goodreads :)). You should definitely keep reading the series, I started it one summer a few years ago and spent a few days just reading her books. My eyes were stinging. As the story line progresses I found it harder and harder to stop put the books down.

Dawn: That's ok. :)

message 7: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 5 comments I also like Gregori a lot too. My other two favorites are probably Gabriel and Lucian. I just love there whole twin connection.
So which would you personally say I should start with, the Ghostwalkers series, or the Drake Sisters series?

message 8: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Feb 24, 2009 07:05AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments McKaylay,

My vote would be the Ghostwalkers series, but that is because I love the books (in fact, I think I like them better than the Dark series), and because I haven't read any of the Drake Sisters books yet.

Gregori is also my favorite Carpathian, and probably Darius next, although I wasn't really fond of his book.

In the Dark Slayer blurb, the heroine is Ivory Malinov..and get this..the hero is Razvan.

I have to admit, my memory is fuzzy about the line, probably have to go back and verify, isn't he the brother of one of the heroines. Well, have to go and check on my data first, unless you remember the connection first.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just finished the newest ghostwalker book, Murder Game. So good!! I want more.. but there's none left. I'm waiting for the third one from PBS that's the only one I haven't had a chance to read yet. I want more!! lol. :(

message 10: by Mickey (last edited Feb 26, 2009 01:50PM) (new)

Mickey | 5 comments That is a good idea, I will read the first book in both series and see which way to go from there. And I can't wait for Dark Slayer!!! Ivory Malinov I think is the girl that the Malinovs and the la Cruz's were protecting for a long time, and they thought she was killed. Then you have Razvan, the twin brother of Natalya. I can't wait to read these books. it is going to be interesting to see how both characters react with everyone else, especially since they have both been detached for so long. I especially can't wait to see how Lara will react to her father being back.

Is the ghostwalkers book, Murder Game, the last book in the series?

message 11: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Yes, Murder Game is the latest installment in the Ghostwalkers series.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I'm still trying to finish Shadow Game, and I'm sorry, but it's just DULL. I have less than 100 pages left and I'm bound and determined to get through it, but blah...

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Murder game is the newest book but I don't think it is the last book ever to be written. Or I really hope not because that would make me sad lol.

Nichole - maybe you should just skip it and go onto the next books in the series. I enjoyed the other books so much better. Looking back after reading the others, I realize how dull Ryland and Lily were. lol.

message 14: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Jess, that's funny. When I think back on the series, I can't really remember Lily and Ryland, while I do remember the other books.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Too late, I finished it and gave it a crappy review already. :)
But I'm still willing to try the other books in the series; I know sometimes the first book doesn't do the rest of the series justice (for example, Kresley Cole's IAD series, which I love but hated the first one).
It might be awhile though, 'cause I have so many other things I'm dying to read.

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 13 comments I love the Ghostwalker series! I haven't read the Drake sister series yet though. I think there are still more books to come as they haven't gone through all of the team members yet. Murder Game wasn't one of my favorites though.

message 17: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments K, so I've never read any of her books, but by the sound of things she has several different series. Which one would you recommend to read first?

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments My personal favorite is the Drake sisters series. I would recommend that one or the Ghostwalkers series. I'm not a big fan of the Carpathian series.

I fell like there is something original in the Drake Sisters and Ghostwalkers series, whereas the Carpathian series almost seems to have been written based on a plot formula, rather than from original thought.

message 19: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I haven't read the Drake Sisters series yet, but I love her Ghostwalkers series, and would recommend it.

I've read her Dark series, too, and even though I'm not extremely wild about it, somehow, I still keep reading everytime there is a new installment, so I guess there must be a reason why..LOL..

message 20: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4055 comments I have a love hate relationship with the Carpathians I have not yet read any of her other series.

message 21: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Dawn,

"love/hate" That is exactly how I would describe my relationship with Feehan's Carpathians...LOL..no matter what, I still have to read what happens next.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I'm definitely enjoying the Ghostwalkers more than the Carpathians (but I, too, feel a draw for the latter - I will go back and read Gregori's story). I haven't read any of the Drake Sisters stories.

message 23: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments hmmm....lol, the thought of a love/hate relationship with the Carpathian series makes me wonder if I really want to start reading them and get myself pulled in. lol. I'll have to read some of the descriptions and think about it.

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I would definitely recommend the ghostwalkers series. I love those guys!!

I agree with the love/hate of the Carpathians. I've read two books.. and I liked the first one, and I thought the second one was quite boring.

message 25: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Jess, you've only read two of the Dark books and you already have a love/hate thing going on...LOL

I'm at book 20 and I'm still having a love/hate relationship with the Carpathians. I have to admit though, you have to be in a certain mood to enjoy these books, and I like taking them in small doses, meaning no marathon reads, like one after the other.

Gregori will remain my favorite Carpathian, and since he sometimes makes appearances in the other books, I just have to keep reading...LOL..

message 26: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 5 comments That is how I am. I almost read the next novel just to keep up with what is going on with my favorite characters. I am another love/hate relationship person when it come to the carpathian series. I always read the next one. I would suggest picking up a few of the novels and seeing if you like them, then decide if you want to reall enjoy the series.

I just started reading one of the Drake Sisters stories, and I checked-out one of the Ghostwalkers series books. But I won't get to continue reading them till next week! Ahh, and the Drake Sisters one is pulling me in! I have to study for my midterms though! How frustrating.

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison (alitoni) | 46 comments I read the first 4 of the Carpathian series and admit to really disliking them. I had read some great reviews and thought I would give them a try and really wanted to like them. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed.

message 28: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4055 comments Yz that is so true I think I read six back to back and I was like ok no more of these books until summer. I admit I am strangely attracted to these stories on the one hand they seem all the same but yet I want to find out how the next one meets their "light" then I am annoyed at how the heroine is like ok. A total love/hate thing

message 29: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments LOL...i know exactly what you mean, Dawn. Right now, I'm listening to the audiobook version of Dark Curse, and I'm like on my 3rd disc. I actually found myself still sitting in the car after having parked like 20 minutes ago, because I can't tear myself away.

She was doing a scene where all the other Carpathians showed up for a meeting with the prince, and she was describing each one briefly, and I feel like I was going down memory lane. Like I feel so good, that I know everybody, having read their own stories..LOL..Sounds silly, I guess...

message 30: by Allison (new)

Allison (alitoni) | 46 comments You obviously have more than I because I barely made it through the 4th, and then it was with gritted teeth and a pounding head.

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) McKayla wrote: "I don't know how many of you all keep-up with Christine Feehan's story line in her Carpathian books, but I was curious to see what any of you think her next Carpathian book is going to be about. I ..."

I am new to Christine Feehan and have a copy of Dark Demon on my bookshelf which I have yet to read. What can anyone say about this book without giving away any spoilers? Is it the best Feehan to start with?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments You should probably start with the first book, Dark Prince. Dark Demon appears to be the 16th in the series.

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) Thanks, I didn't realise that! It's a pretty long series, I'll never get through them all!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Donna wrote: "Thanks, I didn't realise that! It's a pretty long series, I'll never get through them all!

"

LOL, it will definitely keep you busy. I own the first four, but have only read the first two. Opinions on the series are divided, but you should definitely check one out and see what you think.

message 35: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think I'm up to the 5th book or so... and I really am enjoying it. I'm trying to read them slowly so I don't get sick of it. There were a few books that I didn't like as much as others, but that happens with every series.

I definitely enjoy the ghostwalkers series better though.

message 36: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I'm with you on the Ghostwalkers, Jess.

Still, everytime a Dark book is released, I still pick it up, wanting to know what happens. So far, I'm listening to the latest and it looks like this series is going to continue for a while, based on the overarching plot between the vampires and the Carpathians.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I love Ghostwalkers over Carpathians.

Someone else said they were disappointed in the ending of DarkCurse, and I soooo agree. There was something about the unresolved LifeMate issue that just didn't set well with me.

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments mmm Ghostwalkers :)

The new book is coming out sometime soon I think.

I also finished up the Drake series and I found that to be better than the Carpathian series as well. It was just a little less dark and formulaic.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Dark Slayer, which is Carpathians comes out 9/1/09

Street Game (Ghostwalkers) comes out 12/29/09

message 40: by Denell (new)

Denell | 17 comments Okay so technically I havent read any Christine Feehan just browsed through her books and I cant help noticing the one liners! I mean seriously. There is no flow to her dialogue, discriptions etc. Its just so weak! I dont think I'll be able to put myself through the torture of even reading a whole book!!! How has she gotten to sell so many books?

message 41: by Ilse (new)

Ilse Snell | 2 comments I have to say I agree Denell, or shall I name you, in the name of Feehan “Little blonde hair”… (sniggers)
I have in fact put myself through the torture of reading Feehan books. TWICE!
Things which strikes an "i can kill you" nerve about her writing would be the sort compact sentences, although great when used sparingly, or for dramatic effect, Feehan clearly doesn’t understand that concept. Then of cause there is the overuse of words, which makes me have sleepless nights having night terrors of everything gone white – hot, and falling in endless amounts of velvet sheaths, with only a (wait for it) black velvet magic voice to “light my way”…. And you can’t help but feel that she is constantly reiterating descriptions of characters and things JUST to fill pages. Excessive and redundant indeed. How did she win the Rita award? “and with a hiss, which promises retaliation… I disappear into the background”…. Hahahahha… aaahhh… Feehan, you kill me!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish A lot depends on which series you're reading, as well. I think her Ghostwalkers series is better written than her Carpathians.

message 43: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have noticed some repetition in her Carpathians series, but I read these books slowly over time so it doesn't bother me as much.

I haven't noticed anything like those descriptions in her ghostwalkers series. Her sex scenes in those books and also her Drake Sisters book are not as "flowery" lol.

Which series have you tried Ilse?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yeah, Carpathians are more sexually fluffy.

message 45: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Uniquely Moi wrote: "Yeah, Carpathians are more sexually fluffy."

The Drake sisters is also very good. Have you read any of those yet?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Not yet. I have Magic in the Wind, the one in the anthology. I want to give that a read one day soon.

Is it fluffy like Carpathians? I prefer more edginess to the relationships.

message 47: by Ilse (new)

Ilse Snell | 2 comments Jess wrote: "I have noticed some repetition in her Carpathians series, but I read these books slowly over time so it doesn't bother me as much.

I haven't noticed anything like those descriptions in her ghostwa..."

Hey Jess,
I read her Carpathian novels. The first 2 books Dark Prince and Dark Desire. After reading Dark Prince... I was horrified, mortified... and frankly stupefied that such a book could be coming from a PNR author with such a huge fan base. Then, because essentially I believe in giving everyone a second chance, I tried the 2nd book Dark Desires.... incase I just happened to pick the "bad apple" out of the bunch.
Alas, Dark Desires met the same fate as its predecessor.
But who knows, I'm a masochist by nature.... so I’m sure one day I’ll pass through a book store...and Feehan's books will be sitting on a shelve batting their proverbial eye lashes, putting on their best "choose me" face... at which point I will knowingly step into the trap, and curse myself for it later.

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie | 13 comments I read the Dark/Carpathian series all out of order. I think it helped me to enjoy it better. I started with Dark Legend and then sort of skipped around to books in her series that seemed to have linked story lines. I will agree her first few books were not very appealing to me. When I finally did get around to reading dark prince I was highly dissapointed.

message 49: by Narnies (new)

Narnies I think ive read all of the Carpathian series apart from the Dark Celebrations and Dark Slayer. I read them out of order and that helped as well as I can imagine that Dark Prince would have put me off as well. It was okay, but it made me think that the leader of these completely buff dominant race was rather weak.
Darius was my favourite, and I definately prefer the Ghostwalker series to the Sisters.
I think I can honestly say that I was going through a phase when I read these books though but if i ever feel the need to feel dominated and protected im sure il read them again.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish My daughter and I like the Carpathians, but we laughed a lot at Dark Prince. We were like....

(In our best Count Dracula voices) "No, I would never make you stay against your will.... here, drink this." "No, I would never drug you and seduce you into having sex with me... here, drink this."

Don't get me wrong, while Dark Lover was the weakest of the series, I still liked it and Mikail.

« previous 1