The Selection (The Selection, #1) The Selection discussion

Why does everyone hate this book?

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Halle I happen to love this book, but I'll tell you why people don't like it: It's all very predictable.

Sierra Franklin I liked this book too but I also thought it was beyond predictable

Halle Fist Bump!

Natasha I can't help disliking it! I gave it 2/5 stars.. so I didn't quite HATE it, but it just reminded me too much of the hunger games meets the bachelor. I thought the main character was also silly and didn't have any really redeeming qualities.

Shirene I enjoyed it. Admittedly I haven't read Hunger Games but the story was a treat. The plot moved and once I started the book I couldn't put it down.

message 6: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml It has a high average rating(4.01 I think), you just see the bad comments first. I'm not sure why though, they probably have the most responses?

Kathy Not sure why people are giving this a bad review. It isn't anything like the hunger games. I loved it!

Catherine  Wolff I loved it too! I can't wait for the next one!!

Chris The reason there are so many negative reviews and hate for this book are because of bad behaviour on the author's part. At some point she and her publicist or editor got angsty and made some comments to an online reviewer. (or something like that) And that led a lot of people to just negative review the book or comment that they hated it.

I knew the drama but still enjoyed the book. By the end of the story I didn't hate the main character, and the story really did grow on me. I can't wait for the sequel to see where it goes from here.

Sarah I love this book so much. I can't wait for The Elite. I'm practically jumping up and down.

message 11: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml Chris wrote: "The reason there are so many negative reviews and hate for this book are because of bad behaviour on the author's part. At some point she and her publicist or editor got angsty and made some commen..."

I could understand why they were upset,(people were writing bad reviews saying they hadn't even read the book, but could tell it would be bad) but they shouldn't have responded the way they did. Especially now that people can take screen shots. So I agree the reader community didn't take well to that.

Elizabeth OK. I really liked the book. I did not see the Hunger Games but that's because I don't compare books because they are never ever alike, they are like snowflakes no one is exactly alike. I though that the plot and the character's where great. Why i don't think it is like the Hunger Games is because , there is no weapons, the characters are not the same nor are the parents and well in the Hunger Games I am pretty sure that there is no Prince or a Selection.( And the girls in the selection are not drawn out of a fish bowl.) So No the book is different and yes while it was like the bachelor, no one is making you like the book or read it.

When I first saw the book and read the summary I though it was going to be awful, when I started reading the book my mind was blown away so yes i am staying with the series and would recommend it to all who like a good read, so stop complaining.

Kathy The reason people don't like the book is partially because of the frankly kind of awful world building, which I second/ I think the book would have been much better off in classic fantasy setting rather than a backwards future monarchy. But I still enjoyed the premise of having the Selection itself, so that part was interesting.

Gabby I really loved it, of course it was pretty predictable (And if the title of the second book doesn't tell you everything...) but lately i've been reading really slowly, but i finished this one pretty quickly considering!

Nessa I absolutely LOVED this book so I shared it with my librarian at school and she loved it as well. I think the resume that people don't really care for this book is because it sounds a little like The Hunger Games although I feel that the Author put her own twist on it and she had no intention of it sounding like The Hunger Games.

message 16: by Nur (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nur THE SELECTION IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

YourFriendlyNeighborhoodSpidey Natasha wrote: "I can't help disliking it! I gave it 2/5 stars.. so I didn't quite HATE it, but it just reminded me too much of the hunger games meets the bachelor. I thought the main character was also silly and ..."

I felt that it was the Hunger Games meets the Princess Academy and I, personally, loved it.

Carrie I didn't hate it. But it doesn't have a plot (be honest -- it doesn't.) I liked it in the self-indulgent way I like romantic comedies from time to time.

I also have no idea how this is like the Hunger Games. Every comparison to it baffles me. The tone and plots of the books are completely different.

Night I thought like most WHY! I thought I'd hate it. But once you start reading it you cannot put the book down. I personally can't wait for "The Elite" and about the future monarchy thing. I thought it was interesting as it is considered a possiblity

message 20: by Y. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Y. i loved it i cant wait for the next one!

Amber i read it in one sitting.. so i dont really get it either. i liked it. I want the sequel NOW

Gabby Carrie wrote: "I didn't hate it. But it doesn't have a plot (be honest -- it doesn't.) I liked it in the self-indulgent way I like romantic comedies from time to time.

I also have no idea how this is like the Hu..."

Exactly! Neither can i!

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Don't listen to reviews. Just read it, and if you hate it, you hate it. I really don't like reviews because they're pointless, to be honest.

message 24: by Temple Rose (last edited Nov 22, 2012 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Temple Rose It was to close to THG.

And for all those people who cant see the similarity of this book and THG you are very wrong as an obsessive fan of that series i no the ins and outs of it and i no when another book is trying to aspire to be the nxt THG even if the author didn't mean it to be or come off that way i will always have a problem with that similarity to it.

And in say in that i agree with those who say it has it own plot and theme. Bt it still sounds like your reading pages out of THG

Jennifer those hater doesn't have a good taste in a book!!!!! just kidding.;D probably they don't like the plot of the book, or something.
well just so you you guys know i love this book alot, i think it short and cute story. well to me its short and cute but to other it must be drama and drama. :)

message 26: by Mi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mi The Kiera has a good writing for YA, she can hold in reading (as my mother language isn't English and I read the book in that language, trust it) and I will keep her job, but I can not say it has not defects in construction of the world, characters and plot, and many are serious.

And someone introduce the feminism for Mrs. Cass!
Just for the record, I read HG after reading Selection, believe it or not!

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Not EVERYONE hates this book.

Elizabeth You Guys!!! Check out Kiera Cass's website!! It has really cool stuff on the Selection. I liked the book:) read my Review if you don't believe me or I if you don't want to.... that's OK to.

Oksana  *Bookaholic* This was an amazing book, and I think that many people who talk crap about it are just influenced by more popular reviewers.