The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

147 views
TASK HELP Winter 2012-2013 > 15.4 - Naming Names

Comments (showing 1-50 of 74) (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 15, 2012 08:09PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
15.4 -- Naming Names
Option 1: Read TWO books that have a person's name in the title/subtitle/series title.
OR
Option 2: Read ONE book that has two people's names in the title/subtitle/series title. Examples: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, Emily and Einstein, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon--And the Journey of a Generation


message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
placeholder


message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
placeholder


message 4: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 19, 2012 07:31PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Shannon (last edited Nov 19, 2012 12:05AM) (new)

Shannon | 416 comments Hi Kristi, would The Ramos Brothers Trust Castro and Kennedy work for the one book task?
Thank you.


message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 743 comments For the one book task would Kane and Abel work? Thanks


message 7: by Wendy UK (new)

 Wendy  UK (WendyUK) | 756 comments Does this work for the single book option:


Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel

One name is in the title and one is in the series title - or do both names need to be in the same place?


message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments What about Will Grayson, Will Grayson since it is about 2 different boys named Will Grayson?

Hope you have/had fun on your sailing trip!


message 9: by Kathy G. (last edited Nov 16, 2012 06:19PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 2039 comments Do the "names" have to be used as names-- Like April
for a month instead of name? Or Joy--- as in happy but not "Joy" as a name?


message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (Ms_Anderson) | 1481 comments How about The Opal Deception? "Opal" refers to one of the characters, Opal Koboi, and it's part of the Artemis Fowl series.


message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2935 comments Funny thing is that I chose a book I thought I would like from a list....and then found it included in the task examples!

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist


message 13: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments I hoping to use The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June. It looks as if April, May, and June are the names of the main characters.


message 14: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven work? thanks for your help! :)


message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
These books work for the ONE book option:
The Ramos Brothers Trust Castro and Kennedy
Kane and Abel
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven

Elegy for Eddie (A Maisie Dobbs Novel) -- it doesn't matter if one name is in the title and the other is in the series name. As long as there are two names, it'll work.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson -- since the 2 boys have the same name, this will work.

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June -- if April, May, and June are the names of the main characters this will definitely work.


message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Kathy G. wrote: "Do the "names" have to be used as names-- Like April
for a month instead of name? Or Joy--- as in happy but not "Joy" as a name?"


Yes, they should be used as names. The example that Stacie gave: The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June works because the main characters names are April, May, and June. Dreams of Joy would work for part of the TWO book option because Joy is one of the character's names. However, The Joy Luck Club would not work unless there is a character in the book named Joy that I don't remember.


message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Funny thing is that I chose a book I thought I would like from a list....and then found it included in the task examples!

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist"


Hope you like it, Bea!


message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Ms Anderson wrote: "How about The Opal Deception? "Opal" refers to one of the characters, Opal Koboi, and it's part of the Artemis Fowl series."

Yes, that'll work for the ONE book option since Opal is a character name and Artemis Fowl (a second name) is the series title.


message 19: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Aefle and Gisela - Libby Malin (One book option)?


message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Aefle and Gisela - Libby Malin (One book option)?"

Yep, that works for the one book option.


message 21: by Jenifer (new)


message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Jenifer wrote: "Does The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde work for one book?"

Absolutely.


message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6347 comments Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker?

i'm so conflicted on this task - do I do the 1 book or the 2...lol!


message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker?

i'm so conflicted on this task - do I do the 1 book or the 2...lol!"


That would certainly work for one of the books for option 1.


message 25: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 584 comments How about initials? The Trouble with J.J. J.J. Hennesey is the main character.


message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Barbara ★ wrote: "How about initials? The Trouble with J.J. J.J. Hennesey is the main character."

If the character is called J.J., that would work for one of the books in the TWO book option.


message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
mstan wrote: "How about Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe?"

That works for the ONE book option.


message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 25, 2012 10:41AM) (new)


message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Tania wrote: "I'll read The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: A Novel"

Looks like a good one, Tania.


message 31: by Keltie Lee (new)

Keltie Lee (Keltie_Lee) | 315 comments Just to clarify for the one book option, can the name be the same. For example Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone has the name Harry Potter in the title and in the series. Would cases like that work?
Thanks:)


message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Keltie Lee wrote: "Just to clarify for the one book option, can the name be the same. For example Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone has the name Harry Potter in the title and in the series. Would cases like that..."

Sorry, Keltie Lee, for the ONE book option, you need TWO people's names so the Harry Potter books won't work.


message 33: by Keltie Lee (new)

Keltie Lee (Keltie_Lee) | 315 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Keltie Lee wrote: "Just to clarify for the one book option, can the name be the same. For example Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone has the name Harry Potter in the title and in the series. Wo..."

That what I figure, but I thought I would try... Thanks anyway:)


message 34: by Judy (new)

Judy | 570 comments Would Angels at the Table: A Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy Christmas Story work for the one book option? Shirley, Goodness and Mercy are angel characters in the book. Thanks!


message 35: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Judy wrote: "Would Angels at the Table: A Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy Christmas Story work for the one book option? Shirley, Goodness and Mercy are angel characters in the book. Thanks!"

Yes, that works for the ONE book option.


message 36: by Judy (new)

Judy | 570 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Judy wrote: "Would Angels at the Table: A Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy Christmas Story work for the one book option? Shirley, Goodness and Mercy are angel characters in the book. Thanks!"

Yes, t..."


Great! Thank you!


message 37: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 535 comments I am finally going to read this book for the 1 book option: Clara and Mr. Tiffany


message 38: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
KSMary wrote: "I am finally going to read this book for the 1 book option: Clara and Mr. Tiffany"

Hope you enjoy it! I like Susan Vreeland's books, but I haven't gotten around to this one, yet.


message 39: by Deirdre (new)

Deirdre Skaggs (deirdre04) | 102 comments Does a last name work? I'm looking specifically at Trevayne, in which the main character's name is Andrew Trevayne.


message 40: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 581 comments I've been wanting to read this one for awhile - looks like this is the perfect task for it!
Parrot and Olivier in America


message 41: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Deirdre wrote: "Does a last name work? I'm looking specifically at Trevayne, in which the main character's name is Andrew Trevayne."

Last names are fine. This would work as one of the books for the TWO book option.


message 42: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Ann A wrote: "I've been wanting to read this one for awhile - looks like this is the perfect task for it!
Parrot and Olivier in America"


That works for the ONE book option. Hope you enjoy it!


message 43: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 723 comments Will Jacob's Faith work for the one book option? They are the two main characters in the book.


message 45: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
April wrote: "Will Marie-Therese, Child of Terror: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter work?"

Valorie wrote: "Will Jacob's Faith work for the one book option? They are the two main characters in the book."

Yes, these both work for the ONE book option.


message 46: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Sounding this out, would The Maytrees work for this task? Maytree is the last name of the main characters.


message 47: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8875 comments Mod
Chaitra wrote: "Sounding this out, would The Maytrees work for this task? Maytree is the last name of the main characters."

That would work for one of the books in the TWO book option, yes.


message 48: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Thank you Kristi! I'm reading Christine for the other book. :)


message 49: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 99 comments Kissing Shakespeare

Would this book work?


message 50: by Sarah (last edited Dec 10, 2012 07:24PM) (new)

Sarah (Soelo) | 118 comments Would two different names for the same character work for the one book option? Specifically, I am thinking of The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon, with the subtitle (I Mean Noel), where Leon and Noel are the same character. I'm guessing that it won't work but I thought I'd check.


« previous 1
back to top